2016-2017 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just called and they said that everyone should have received a decision by now and that they will let management know so that they could resend the email. So confused.

Same i just called and she said i should have heard back and she will get information to me shortly

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of you who were accepted. My question is about rejections, though: Since September, my status on the Duke application dashboard has said, "Your supplemental application has been completed. Your application is now being reviewed by a set of independent screeners on our admissions committee". Interviews are obviously over, and I have heard from every other school I applied to, but nothing from Duke. Has anyone who didn't interview received an update on their application status, or a rejection email?

also haven't heard anything yet. lol i think at this point its just funny how bad this system is at letting us know....not even anxious about the decision anymore

finally got my rejection...if you havent heard back i would call..she told me i should have heard back by now

Reactions: 1 user
Finally got my rejection letter. I guess this makes the decision process easier

Has anyone tried paying their deposit yet using the online thing? It said we should have some ID in our acceptance letter but I don' think I have this.

Has anyone tried paying their deposit yet using the online thing? It said we should have some ID in our acceptance letter but I don' think I have this.
I don't have it either -- I'd imagine they'll send it to us in due time.

Rejected! Trying to find the silver lining though. Never dreamed I would get an interview in the first place and it was a great experience. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those accepted :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Andrea said they'd send it out this week. I

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

also rejected and I'm an undergrad here LOL. guess this means I don't have to decide whether I should stay for another four years :rolleyes:

Boo - got my rejection e-mail. I feel a little butt hurt by Duke personally - this was my 2nd time interviewing and my 2nd rejection from them in 2 years (after the longest wait and most nerve-wracking decision process, am I right?). Was my first interview as an applicant last cycle, and my last interview as an applicant this cycle... so had all the feeeelz for Duke but the love wasn't returned. That's ok!

Anyways, congrats to all of you who got in! And to those who didn't, you all are amazing too. :) Best of luck y'all, I finally get to dip out of this thread now...

Boo - got my rejection e-mail. I feel a little butt hurt by Duke personally - this was my 2nd time interviewing and my 2nd rejection from them in 2 years (after the longest wait and most nerve-wracking decision process, am I right?). Was my first interview as an applicant last cycle, and my last interview as an applicant this cycle... so had all the feeeelz for Duke but the love wasn't returned. That's ok!

Anyways, congrats to all of you who got in! And to those who didn't, you all are amazing too. :) Best of luck y'all, I finally get to dip out of this thread now...

You're clearly destined for better things!! Good luck on everything :)

seems like all the recent rejections were for people who interviewed, what about people who didn't interview? I paid my secondary fee and wrote those ridiculous essays, is it too much to ask that I be rejected formally?

Reactions: 1 users
seems like all the recent rejections were for people who interviewed, what about people who didn't interview? I paid my secondary fee and wrote those ridiculous essays, is it too much to ask that I be rejected formally?
Don't worry, we'll get it in September

I did not apply in the last cycle, but Duke is one of my highest priority school in my list for the upcoming cycle, even though Duke would be a reach school for me.

I know that Duke gets a ton of well qualified applicants who apply early every year. The problem I am facing is that I am a non-trad applicant and my original plan was to take the MCAT in May 19 (score released June 20). However, the more I study, the less confident I feel about the MCAT, so I am thinking about postponing it to at least June 1 (score released July 6) or even June 19 (score released July 18). I am trying my best to stick to May 19th schedule, but with school final coming up along with hospital work, postponing may be needed. Would I be too late for applying to Duke if my score is sent on 7/18 and my application is complete past mid-July? What are the chances of getting an interview from Duke when your app is complete in July? (My primary should be complete by no later than 6/25, but verification may take some time). I would love some insight from last year's applicants. Thank you so much in advance.

I didn't submit my primary until the very end of August and secondary late September. I ended up interviewing in February and have since been accepted. So, I don't think you'd be too bad off.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know if/when Duke sends out merit scholarship offers? Is it after second look?

Sorry if this has already been asked -- Does anyone know if the "Statement of Intent" is a kind of commitment to matriculation at Duke or just a formal way of holding our spot in the fall class?

Sorry if this has already been asked -- Does anyone know if the "Statement of Intent" is a kind of commitment to matriculation at Duke or just a formal way of holding our spot in the fall class?
Holding a spot.

At second look now and it appears Duke had a terrific match this year.

Anyone know when merit scholarships come out

Is there anyone most likely matriculating who didn't go to second look? Want to make sure I'm not the only one. Just dealing with FOMO over here. :)

Is there anyone most likely matriculating who didn't go to second look? Want to make sure I'm not the only one. Just dealing with FOMO over here. :)
Me!! The fomo was real this weekend :/

Me!! The fomo was real this weekend :/

Same boat

Don't FOMO! Here is my feedback. The medical school and new hospital buildings are beautiful. I like that it is basically on the undergraduate campus. They have a new student center on campus that has amazing space and food. The current students are really nice and down-to-earth (and brilliant). They honestly seem to collaborate and help each other be successful. From what I saw of Durham, I think it is a very livable place with lots of great things happening (farmer's market, lots of restaurants, etc). There is a beautiful running trail through Duke Forest and around golf course-very close to the Med school campus. The match list looks phenomenal and given I am somewhat undecided in choice of career, it looks like they place exceptionally well in everything! I liked the people I met who were accepted for class of 2021 and I hope many of them choose Duke. I also have other options I am still considering, but I am 99% sure I will be matriculating. The curriculum is what I am looking for (especially, the early exposure to wards and very flexible 3rd year). I know that other schools have adopted similar curriculum to Duke's in recent years, but Duke has been doing it for decades (so most of the kinks should be worked out, it seems for the first few years of new curriculum implementation are understandably a bit chaotic). The class size is "just right" in my opinion, big enough to have a diverse and interesting group, but small enough not to get isolated. For me it was not a "hard sell" to choose Duke - it was a "soft sell" do you think you would fit in and enjoy your time here with a lot of really collaborative, friendly people. What did others who attended think of Second Look?

Second look stuff
It's funny, because what you said about second look is exactly how I felt about Duke/Durham during my visit/interview. Really loved it there. So, I'm glad to see that my instincts weren't wrong! ;)

If anyone has worked/negotiated with Duke's financial aid, please PM me! Looking for advice.

Edit: Also, has anyone heard anything about merit scholarships?

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything about merit scholarships, are they usually announced with admissions decisions or after? Maybe they've been released already, dunno

I received a merit scholarship offer last week. The official award letter was dated even before the call.

Anyone else got this rejection status update or something different?

"Application Declined - The Admissions Committee has had an extremely difficult task of reviewing over 7500 applications. Our deliberations are complete and although your application was thought to be highly competitive; we regret to inform you that your application has not been chosen for the 2017 cycle. We greatly appreciate your interest in Duke University School of Medicine and it is our hope that you will consider Duke again for your future training. We wish you the best of luck in your educational pursuits."

"Application Declined - The Admissions Committee has had an extremely difficult task of reviewing over 7500 applications. Our deliberations are complete and although your application was thought to be highly competitive; we regret to inform you that your application has not been chosen for the 2017 cycle. We greatly appreciate your interest in Duke University School of Medicine and it is our hope that you will consider Duke again for your future training. We wish you the best of luck in your educational pursuits."
I

what was your status before?

Just curious, does anyone know if the "Application Declined" statuses have been sent out periodically throughout this cycle as in previous years, or have they all went out at once here recently?

Anyone withdrawing their acceptance here?