2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Limit each essay to 1200 characters including spaces)

1. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, please describe how your personal characteristics and values make you a suitable candidate for medicine. How will you contribute to the student body?
2. Describe how you have handled a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you face possible challenges in medical school.
3. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
4. Were you ever surprised by criticism you received? If so, what was the criticism and how did you respond to it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This school is my #1 choice! hoping for some love from fiu hwcom :)

Got a secondary invitation just now but the link hasn't updated from last cycle. Apparently they don't screen for secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received here as well

Applicants with a verified AMCAS application will be invited to submit the HWCOM Secondary Application to the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM). As all applicants will receive the Secondary Application,

guess they dont screen

edit: yup @member212121 seems like the portal is still from the last app cycle

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Got a secondary invitation just now but the link hasn't updated from last cycle. Apparently they don't screen for secondaries?
I can't access it either because it's still on the last cycle...

I can't access it either because it's still on the last cycle...
+1

Thank you for your interest in the Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. Unfortunately, Secondary Applications cannot be accepted now since the deadline to submit the HWCOM Seconday Application for regular admissions was December 31, 2015.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]

Thanks and have a great day !

I am sure this will be fixed in the next hour.

i'm guessing the first 3 questions stays the same but the last question changes every year

Secondaries received but the website is down

Anyone think it's worth pre-writing this secondary before the website is fixed, or has anyone happened to notice if they change their prompts every year?

Anyone think it's worth pre-writing this secondary before the website is fixed, or has anyone happened to notice if they change their prompts every year?
I think you're best off pre writing them and not wasting time. Essay prompts typically don't change too much

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think, by any chance, the website is going to be back and running again over the weekend? Business hours are over. So maybe like rgg12b said, we are better off pre-writing.

Do you guys think, by any chance, the website is going to be back and running again over the weekend? Business hours are over. So maybe like rgg12b said, we are better off pre-writing.
I guess there's no way to know unless someone called before their offices closed up before the weekend... But I feel like chances are it won't get addressed until Monday. Can't hurt to start writing over the weekend. I'd be impressed though if they did fix it today

I think you're best off pre writing them and not wasting time. Essay prompts typically don't change too much

This is not correct. This school's prompts change every year at this school, or it seems so. It did not have total changes in the last two cycles, but it did have some changes. I personally will just wait it out. It does suck that they are so many essays though :(

Please see: http://www.prospectivedoctor.com/florida-international-university-college-of-medicine-secondary/

Last edited:
This is not correct. This school's prompts change every year at this school, or it seems so. It did not have total changes in the last two cycles, but it did have some changes. I personally will just wait it out. It does suck that they are so many essays though :(

Please see: http://www.prospectivedoctor.com/florida-international-university-college-of-medicine-secondary/
I agree but for the most part many

Sure you can wait but if you have nothing better to do then why not? I'm sure at least one of the past prompts will be used if not for this school then another.

@WedgeDawg @Ismet These are the secondary essay prompts for this cycle

(Limit each essay to 1200 characters including spaces)

1. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, please describe how your personal characteristics and values make you a suitable candidate for medicine. How will you contribute to the student body?
2. Describe how you have handled a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you face possible challenges in medical school.
3. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
4. Were you ever surprised by criticism you received? If so, what was the criticism and how did you respond to it?

Hey guys, I have a quick question if that's okay. The secondary asked if I am a first generation student (if neither of my parents obtained a college degree). Both of my biological parents did not get a college 4 year degree, but my step-dad did. So I would not be considered a first generation student correct?

Hey guys, I have a quick question if that's okay. The secondary asked if I am a first generation student (if neither of my parents obtained a college degree). Both of my biological parents did not get a college 4 year degree, but my step-dad did. So I would not be considered a first generation student correct?

Personally I would tell you that you're a first generation student regardless of your step-family. Seems like AMCAS and these secondaries really only ask about MOM and DAD. So my 2¢ would be to go for it & consider yourself first generation.
Unless there's a specific reason you have an inclination to mention your step father in a beneficial way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I checked and the problem was fixed this morning.

Secondary submitted! Good luck to everyone!

How are you guys inputting your AP credits? It says to say AP, put can I still put it up how it would appear if I "looked it up" from my AMCAS app (like for grade it puts "G", it has the date as your first fall semester, the institution is your uni rather than your highschool)

Do we have to provide our SSN and what do we use it for if no other school asks for it?

Edit: Got my answer from the link to the side, but still interested why other schools don't use it and they have decided to.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just had a quick question. One of my letters is from a family friend that has known me for over 10 years, and the secondary asks for an institution for each letter. I was wondering what I should input for this letter writer's institution/university? Thank you

Hey guys, I just had a quick question. One of my letters is from a family friend that has known me for over 10 years, and the secondary asks for an institution for each letter. I was wondering what I should input for this letter writer's institution/university? Thank you
Just put a business they are affiliated with

Hey this might be a stupid question but I'm filling out the prerequisites section what do I put as the status of courses that I already finished? I only see: Anticipated, Currently enrolled, and AP credit. Thanks in advance! :)

Hey this might be a stupid question but I'm filling out the prerequisites section what do I put as the status of courses that I already finished? I only see: Anticipated, Currently enrolled, and AP credit. Thanks in advance! :)

Hey! I think when you click "Look Up" and imputed the courses from your AMCAS Application, the status will just stay as "Verified AMCAS transcript" on your secondary because AMCAS has already verified grades that are completed. Is that what you're seeing?

Hey! I think when you click "Look Up" and imputed the courses from your AMCAS Application, the status will just stay as "Verified AMCAS transcript" on your secondary because AMCAS has already verified grades that are completed. Is that what you're seeing?

Ah silly me! I totally missed the 'select' button. I was inputting them manually! :laugh: Thank you so much! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Ah silly me! I totally missed the 'select' button. I was inputting them manually! :laugh: Thank you so much! :)

No worries! When you inputted your completed courses with the select button, the status stayed as "Verified AMCAS transcript" for you right? Just making sure it didn't change or anything :)

While inputting my courses, my quarter units are converted to semester units. Am I supposed to write units in terms of quarters or semesters when manually adding additional courses at the bottom?

No worries! When you inputted your completed courses with the select button, the status stayed as "Verified AMCAS transcript" for you right? Just making sure it didn't change or anything :)

Yes it does say "Verified AMCAS transcript"!

Submitted today! This my #1 choice. Hoping they have love for a fellow panther :)

If I am going through committee with a composite letter, do I still need to add all the other letters that will be in that committee packet?

If I am going through committee with a composite letter, do I still need to add all the other letters that will be in that committee packet?

No, just the head of the prehealth committee for your school and just select "committee packet".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They dont have a packet option - are you going with the Composite/Committee/Pre-Mad Advisor option?

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

Are you able to submit without uploading the picture first? Is the picture just supposed to be passport style like plain background, no smiling?

Are you able to submit without uploading the picture first? Is the picture just supposed to be passport style like plain background, no smiling?
Who ever heard of a doctor smiling? :shrug:

(Joke)

I don't think most schools are too strict about this. Obviously the picture should only be focused on. Headshot or not (can have a little body in it). And you should look professional - no t-shirts, etc. And you can smile if you want! Actually, you may want to. What is the first thing you think of when you look at a picture with a person not smiling? Oh that person has no personality, or that person is so boring. Yeah, I may be judgmental, but it can cross anyone's mind. Smile!

Good luck everyone! I'm glad to be starting HWCOM this fall and I, as someone who went to undergrad at FIU, think that FIU overall is a great school. I can't answer any questions on what the med school is like or how classes are since I've yet to start, however, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions concerning the application (just nothing too technical please), the campus, the city, and the interview.

In regards to the headshot, the only one I have which is from my passport is where I have pink hair and a septum ring, their dress code states that you can have hair colors/piercings that don't interfere with patient care, I've never heard of either of those things interfering with anything, but I'm curious as to what yall think.

I could take a new one without the septum ring but my current hair is blue and in a weird haircut, would a wig be acceptable?

I personally think that for the pic try to send in the most professional pic, once ur accepted do whatever you want

I don't think most schools are too strict about this. Obviously the picture should only be focused on. Headshot or not (can have a little body in it). And you should look professional - no t-shirts, etc. And you can smile if you want! Actually, you may want to. What is the first thing you think of when you look at a picture with a person not smiling? Oh that person has no personality, or that person is so boring. Yeah, I may be judgmental, but it can cross anyone's mind. Smile!
Really!? Man! I submitted a nice looking photo of me at the beach. It's still professional because I have a t-shirt on though. Hopefully they will find favor with it.

Are we supposed to order complio drug screening and criminal background check as we submit our secondaries, or do we have to do that later after acceptance?
The site seems to imply we have to do that before we submit but **** that's another $130 I don't wanna pay :(

Are we supposed to order complio drug screening and criminal background check as we submit our secondaries, or do we have to do that later after acceptance?
The site seems to imply we have to do that before we submit but **** that's another $130 I don't wanna pay :(

I'm pretty sure that's only necessary once you've been accepted!

Does this school send a complete e-mail? I completed by secondary 9 days ago and have yet to receive one.

Preliminary review completed 7/27/2016 11PM ish. Anyone else?