2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waiting-for-waiting-for-fiu-waitlist-movement-still-waiting.jpg

*Our current mood*

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Can any previous students or current students comment on textbooks? Is it really necessary to buy all those listed as "required" on the pre-matriculation checklist? Are the professors pretty enthusiastic about students actually having the textbook or do they not really follow the textbook when teaching? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I know that Florida med schools have high preference for Florida residents. Should I not apply at all? Lizzy M Score: 68.5

Hello everyone! I know that Florida med schools have high preference for Florida residents. Should I not apply at all? Lizzy M Score: 68.5

Just apply to as many programs as possible. This process is really just a huge gamble, for the most part.

So I was bored at work and decided to re-look up FIU's MSAR info and here is what it says about the waitlist:

Waitlist Information
Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Ranging from 200-250
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Waitlist procedures and information
The Admissions Committee votes to accept, not accept, or place an applicant on the Wait List. Applicants are offered a seat on a rolling basis. The Wait List remains active until Orientation.

There's still hope! I wish FIU would disclose your position on the WL to know how realistic it is to be pulled from it.

Reactions: 1 users
Jesus! Just received a 305-348-XXXX call, almost died, and then got depressed/infuriated that it was just a call from the pre-health office inviting me to some luncheon. Just a disclaimer to those FIU alumni waiting on WL movement.

So I was bored at work and decided to re-look up FIU's MSAR info and here is what it says about the waitlist:

Waitlist Information
Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Ranging from 200-250
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Waitlist procedures and information
The Admissions Committee votes to accept, not accept, or place an applicant on the Wait List. Applicants are offered a seat on a rolling basis. The Wait List remains active until Orientation.

There's still hope! I wish FIU would disclose your position on the WL to know how realistic it is to be pulled from it.

While I would like to believe that gives hope, we have to remember that the data above came from when they did not have the certificate program. 33-18(from program this year) = 15. So the shot is there, but also potentially reduced by half.

i also think that they used to get more waitlist movement when they were a newer school. The trend from threads and MSAR is pointing towards less and less WL movement every year from what i'm seeing.
Jesus! Just received a 305-348-XXXX call, almost died, and then got depressed/infuriated that it was just a call from the pre-health office inviting me to some luncheon. Just a disclaimer to those FIU alumni waiting on WL movement.

Hey! Can any previous students or current students comment on textbooks? Is it really necessary to buy all those listed as "required" on the pre-matriculation checklist? Are the professors pretty enthusiastic about students actually having the textbook or do they not really follow the textbook when teaching? Thank you!!

I heard that it doesn't really matter what book you buy, they are not really "required". They give you that list so you know more or less what type of book you should own. You are supposed to learn on your own no matter how many books you own. And once you start you can get pdf from second year students and save some money or buy books from the M2 at a cheaper price. What we will for sure need is the STEP1 book 2017 to guide us through the classes. I hope it helps :)

I wouldn't buy anything before actually starting the class and seeing what it's going to be like. For GMC I didn't buy any of the "required" books, but I did go to the library to read out of one of the books for a genetics assignment/quiz. I'm pretty sure for the other classes I never read any of the their required books (with the exception of nephro because that was our sole source of "learning" for the course.) For tests the vast, vast majority of the topics will be pulled directly from the slides.

And I agree with the above poster, I would get First Aid (either the physical book or PDF which is cheaper), and read the topics you are going over in class. This will give you some insight on what's "high yield" and what you are largely expected to know for Step. Also, the final when I took it was an NBME final, so studying with First Aid and doing Qbanks will help you with that. DO NOT USE THE SLIDES TO STUDY FOR NBME EXAMS. Only use the slides to study for in-house exams. You will soon learn to love the NBME exams.

Thank you to both answers to the textbook question!

Anyone have any thoughts on the certificate program? Anyone who has done it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any thoughts on the certificate program? Anyone who has done it?

I was told by a student that several people who were on the wait list last year and did the program were not successful. So only do the program if it is your last option.

I was told by a student that several people who were on the wait list last year and did the program were not successful. So only do the program if it is your last option.

Last option meaning you have no other acceptances...

Everyone try to relax, soon enough, you will be very, very, very busy med students

Everyone try to relax, soon enough, you will be very, very, very busy med students
Are you implying you are privy to some insider information regarding waitlist movement? Because if not, go away...

(Kidding, but not really...ok Ill try to relax now)

theres gotta be at least some waitlist movement! i hope lol

Talked with someone from admissions... they said that the class is very "stable".
I heard something similar. I would not bet anything on the FIU WL moving at all this cycle. Sorry guys.

Are you implying you are privy to some insider information regarding waitlist movement? Because if not, go away...

(Kidding, but not really...ok Ill try to relax now)
Nope, I don't have that info but I know that wherever you end up, you're going to want to enjoy this summer a little before you start

I cannot believe there has not been any movement on the waitlist....seriously ? lol

Is anyone else wait listed doing the certificate program? In the grand scheme of things what is an extra 21k...........amirite :blackeye:
its just risky, especially if you have an oos acceptance. I haven't heard good things about the program and knowing FIU I feel like they would make it hard on purpose. Im also considering it even though I have an acceptance and would like to stay home with my SO but I know how crazy it sounds.

its just risky, especially if you have an oos acceptance. I haven't heard good things about the program and knowing FIU I feel like they would make it hard on purpose. Im also considering it even though I have an acceptance and would like to stay home with my SO but I know how crazy it sounds.

TAKE THE ACCEPTANCE AND DONT LOOK BACK! DONT RISK YOUR FUTURE LIKE THAT

I don't have any other acceptances so personally I think it's my best option. However, I wouldn't do it if it was just for a guaranteed interview. If I were you tho I'd take that acceptance n run homie! I also heard out of the class of 45 last year, 21 were accepted into med school (not bad!)

thats less than half. I wouldnt call those good odds. Only do it if you have a legitimate reason for staying in miami. Otherwise just apply again.

thats less than half. I wouldnt call those good odds. Only do it if you have a legitimate reason for staying in miami. Otherwise just apply again.
You have to apply again through AMCAS while in the program, so you have the opportunity to reapply and possibly get into other schools besides FIU, just saying.

That would be highly unwise

Hey,

I was part of the post-bacc program last year and I was accepted into the Class of 2021 at FIU along with other schools. The statistics on those accepted is a little bit incorrect. Although we did have a class of about 45, I would like to add that around 15-or-so students did not apply to medical school this cycle. So its not ~21/45 but rather ~21/~30.

If anyone is considering doing the program, I would say go for it if you do not have any other options and are willing to finance it. The 3.7 is not easy but is not hard to obtain. It is very realistic and achievable. I will say, you can feel the fact that the program is new. It had many faults that hopefully will be ironed out for next year's batch of kids.

Overall would recommend if you were waitlisted. Its a guaranteed track to medical if you put a little work in & stay dedicated. You can also apply to multiple schools whilst in the program; they will allow you to take days off for medical school interviews. I also believe updating schools with your 1st semester grades can go a long way if you do well for they will see it as "medical-school-level" courses.

My $0.02,
SportsAreFun

Reactions: 2 users
The fact that there hasant been any new updates in over a month is discouraging to say the least..
I agree 100%, but we cant lose hope. I was just curious to see if you had spoken to the admissions committee or something.

Last edited:
Nothing's technically over until you get the email notifying you that it's over. Stay up to date with your emails and try your best to make the waiting period as painless as possible. If it doesn't go your way, pick up the pieces, find what went wrong and fix it. If you want this, fix it. You can do it. Good luck all.

i emailed admissions they said theyve had no waitlist movement at all. -___________-

Good luck everyone! I'm glad to be starting HWCOM this fall and I, as someone who went to undergrad at FIU, think that FIU overall is a great school. I can't answer any questions on what the med school is like or how classes are since I've yet to start, however, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions concerning the application (just nothing too technical please), the campus, the city, and the interview.
Hello!
I am currently in the application cycle now. FIU is the school I went for my undergrad and really want to go for medical school. What do you think helped you prepare best for your interview? Thanks!

Hey, guys. MS4 here. For the past year or so, I’ve been struggling to decide whether to provide realistic information about HWCOM or whether to just enjoy the end of med school and let you stumble upon all of this as my classmates and I have. Unfortunately for FIU, I’ve recently experienced “the straw that broke the camel’s back” and at this point, I feel it’s my ethical obligation as a soon-to-be physician to present to you the risk vs benefit profile of FIU. So, because I’m equal parts frustrated and bored, I’ll be posting a daily blog for the next 5 days or so presenting to you something that sounds amazing about FIU, but is actually terrible. For what it’s worth, I do encourage you to take this information (as with any information from a random internet stranger) with a grain of salt, but I do encourage you to ask about these things as you interview or during second look visits. Without further ado, here’s my first post!

Step 1 scores: AKA, the most important thing in the residency selection process.

HWCOM students absolutely crush the USMLE Step 1 and 2 Examinations. This leads to very competitive applicants for residencies and solid matches. On the surface, it seems as if our innovative curriculum is amazing and does a fantastic job at preparing us for these challenges; however, once you’re privy to additional information, you learn that this is much less of an influence as you’d expect.

My class, the Class of 2017, started our MS1 year with 122 students, and next month we will graduate 114 students. This doesn’t sound bad; a net attrition of 6% is probably within the normal range of medical schools. Unfortunately, our class actually lost 26 members (and gained 18 members from the class of 2016). A 21% repeat / attrition rate is not even in the same galaxy as other medical schools’ rates. So, how are failing so many students?

FIU has very unique, roundabout, and mysterious grading and promotional criteria. FIU uses an equal mix of statistics and black magic to scale -1.7 SD from the average of a course to equal a 75 and the highest grade of the course to equal a 100. Course averages 75 and above are passing grades; however averages between 75 and 79 are unofficially designated a “low pass” (which does not appear on your transcripts or anywhere else for that matter). If you end a year with a cumulative course average between 75 and 79, you may be required to repeat the year- even if you have never failed a single course. If you fail two courses during your FIU career- even if they’re two years apart and if you successfully remediate the examinations that you failed- you may be required to repeat one or more years. Why am I using the word “may” and speaking rather vaguely?

There are no hard guidelines at FIU for repeating a year or being dismissed from medical school. The entire process is controlled by a committee who, by rule, are protected from having its members’ identities revealed until you are sitting in front of them. This committee has near absolute control over this process which can cost you an extra $100k or your medical career. As you can expect, rulings are very arbitrary, and although FIU will speak to this process as being flexible and accommodating to the individual student, most of the people who go before this committee will say that they were not pleased with the outcome they were given. Why hasn’t our very high repeat / attrition rates been addressed by the LCME?

The promotional committee tends to give weaker students two options: electively “volunteer” to repeat a year or run the risk of being forced to repeat (which would be noted on the Dean’s Letter) or be dismissed. Most students choose to repeat the year. So, using my class as an example, the bottom 20% of the class was held back. At the same time, the bottom 15% of the class before mine joined my class and generally thrived since they had seen all of this material the year prior. (Side note: This is no bueno for class rank and for future grades). How does this relate to Step scores?

Basically, those students who would have scored a 210 or a 215 and likely gone on to become an amazing clinician in a non-competitive specialty are removed which makes our Step averages higher.

TL;DR. We started with 122 students and 26 students were dropped. If you cut the bottom 1/5 of any data set, your stats look better. High Step 1 and 2 scores- they sound amazing, but they’re really terrible.

Edit to change "ACGME" to "LCME"
Wow !!! This is such a frank and honest description. Thank you 🙏. Is this kind of grading still going on in 2021? Is OUWB better than FIU in 2021?