2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

Started by To be MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Multiple waitlist acceptances reported yesterday for MN... wonder which of the following are delaying AZ:

1) just haven't had a meeting yet, so acceptances haven't begun;

2) acceptances have begun, but none to SDN users (or at least not an SDN user that is posting); or

3) very little waitlist movement on traffic day.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Multiple waitlist acceptances reported yesterday for MN... wonder which of the following are delaying AZ:

1) just haven't had a meeting yet, so acceptances haven't begun;

2) acceptances have begun, but none to SDN users (or at least not an SDN user that is posting); or

3) very little waitlist movement on traffic day.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As a follow up: I have been privately provided information from a reliable source (to remain anonymous) that there was at least one acceptance off the AZ waitlist that occurred yesterday (congrats to the lucky person/people).


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Is the waitlist hopeless at this point? Doesn't seem like there has been much if any movement

Hopeless, no. But it's not looking good. A few students that have been accepted at Mayo may get pulled off of other waitlist (for schools that they'd prefer) over the next two month, but it will be few and far between.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hopeless, no. But it's not looking good. A few students that have been accepted at Mayo may get pulled off of other waitlist (for schools that they'd prefer) over the next two month, but it will be few and far between.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So do you think it's pretty certain that the initial waitlist movement that occurs after the multiple acceptances deadline is over?
 
So do you think it's pretty certain that the initial waitlist movement that occurs after the multiple acceptances deadline is over?

I have no inside knowledge, but it took two days to give out all of the initial acceptances a few months back. They started giving out waitlist acceptances on Tuesday of this week, so they've had four days to give out waitlist acceptances (which I assume are much fewer than the initial acceptances). Additionally, I believe many of the waitlist decisions were made prior to the April 30/May 1 deadline, as they were sending out "interest inquiry" e-mails to certain waitlisted applicants. Not trying to be negative, but my guess is that they are done with the "initial waive" of waitlist acceptances.
 
I have no inside knowledge, but it took two days to give out all of the initial acceptances a few months back. They started giving out waitlist acceptances on Tuesday of this week, so they've had four days to give out waitlist acceptances

Wasn't that for Minnesota? AZ and MN have completely separate admissions committees? I haven't heard of any movement yet at AZ.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I have no inside knowledge, but it took two days to give out all of the initial acceptances a few months back. They started giving out waitlist acceptances on Tuesday of this week, so they've had four days to give out waitlist acceptances (which I assume are much fewer than the initial acceptances). Additionally, I believe many of the waitlist decisions were made prior to the April 30/May 1 deadline, as they were sending out "interest inquiry" e-mails to certain waitlisted applicants. Not trying to be negative, but my guess is that they are done with the "initial waive" of waitlist acceptances.

It does seem like there may be less waitlist movement at Mayo than in previous years. I remember some people on SDN hypothesizing that there would be a lot of waitlist movement at the AZ campus given that it's a new campus, people were thinking more people who were accepted here would give up their spots for other schools, but that does not seem to have been the case. There were a ton of people who went to second look in AZ and it seemed like most were committed to coming to Mayo. I know this is a bummer for people on the waitlist and I'm sure there will still be some more acceptances, but overall I think this speaks to all this campus has to offer and negates the predictions made by some naysayers. There are people I met who were accepted to top 10 programs and chose Mayo AZ, again I think this speaks to the strength of this campus and how successful it will be.
 
Interesting. I contacted the school yesterday and they mentioned to me that there has been no movement at all from the waitlist since May 1st.

Hope this is true (although I know of at least 1 AZ waitlist acceptance from Tuesday and 3 MN waitlist acceptances). But since this is it, maybe Mayo hasn't done its initial "wave" yet.

As indicated above, I have no inside information. The one thing I've learned from this cycle is that soon after you think you've figured something out about the admissions process, you find out you were wrong.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
So that means there has been at least some waitlist movement, and they currently are at capacity regarding seats?
They were vague as to the specifics, but there appears to be some holdup/backlog that has been preventing them from making movements on the waitlist. I didn't want to probe much further.

This is all the information I was given. It was made clear to me when I contacted them earlier that they don't know whether the waitlist will trickle throughout the month or whether it will happen in one big batch. They are a new campus with an adcom independent from the MN one. Predictions on how many students they should move off the waitlist are likely difficult.
 
They were vague as to the specifics, but there appears to be some holdup/backlog that has been preventing them from making movements on the waitlist. I didn't want to probe much further.

This is all the information I was given. It was made clear to me when I contacted them earlier that they don't know whether the waitlist will trickle throughout the month or whether it will happen in one big batch. They are a new campus with an adcom independent from the MN one. Predictions on how many students they should move off the waitlist are likely difficult.
I really appreciate you. Seriously. Thanks for calling in so we all didn't have to.
 
Happy
ImageUploadedBySDN1494031321.490080.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The position they are in is "hold". They have to have 50 students. So whenever one gets called off the waitlist for another school and drops, they will add 1. Until the day class starts July 17.
 
Called today as well. Can confirm the above about class being full.
Seems like the school has a pretty large waitlist. With it being a new campus, I'd assume they were anticipating more people declining acceptances./
 
I was accepted last week off the waitlist!

For future reference, I did receive a "likely" letter after my interview, but received no other form of communication (email or anything) inquiring about my interest in the school. I sent one letter of interest sometime before decisions came out, but I never sent anything after my WL decision and I never sent a letter of intent. They still offer scholarship even when pulled from the waitlist, and they provided me that information before I had to make a decision. They gave me one week to decide. They were super helpful in answering any questions I had, and I could tell that they put a lot of thought and time into each applicant.

I am so excited to start this summer at Mayo! Like mentioned above, they told me that there had been very little waitlist movement, and that the majority of students they initially accepted chose to stay with Mayo.
 
I was accepted last week off the waitlist!

For future reference, I did receive a "likely" letter after my interview, but received no other form of communication (email or anything) inquiring about my interest in the school. I sent one letter of interest sometime before decisions came out, but I never sent anything after my WL decision and I never sent a letter of intent. They still offer scholarship even when pulled from the waitlist, and they provided me that information before I had to make a decision. They gave me one week to decide. They were super helpful in answering any questions I had, and I could tell that they put a lot of thought and time into each applicant.

I am so excited to start this summer at Mayo! Like mentioned above, they told me that there had been very little waitlist movement, and that the majority of students they initially accepted chose to stay with Mayo.

Congratulations!! :clap: