2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

Started by To be MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who have not yet submitted an application or who may not be in the know, Mayo is opening up a new campus in Phoenix, AZ (with a new class of medical students) in the fall of 2017. The other Mayo campus is in Rochester, MN, and both schools have separate applications, secondaries, and interviews.

To relieve congestion in the other thread and to follow through with the one-thread-per-school norm, this thread is specifically dedicated to this new branch of the school in Arizona.

Please keep your conversation restricted to this branch, and refer to the 2016-17 Mayo (MN) Medical School Application Thread for discussions concerning the other branch in Rochester.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOR request received today! Received only an "application received email" before getting the request for letters. My letters are not in because my school sends out in mid August.
 
I got my II last Saturday and the "pre interview questionnaire" yesterday.

There's a Why Mayo and a standard diversity question, and they want a pic.
 
So, I'm doing my research for the post-II secondary. Can we assume anything on the webstie that doesn't speficy MN or AZ means it's good for both? Looking to submit tonight!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I'm doing my research for the post-II secondary. Can we assume anything on the webstie that doesn't speficy MN or AZ means it's good for both? Looking to submit tonight!

Haha I did. Hopefully I didn't shoot myself in the foot by writing about the SHCD program or the selectives.
 
I think it's pretty crazy how Mayo is opening up a branch campus. I don't think a school with a reputation as good as Mayo's has ever opened a branch campus.

I think it's awesome. Instead of increasing the class size of their main campus, Mayo is utilizing their other great clinical locations by setting up a branch campus, so they can maintain top-notch faculty-student ratios.
 
I wish I was trolling lol. I'm actually just curious if they employ rigid cutoffs because my MCAT score might preclude me from getting a shot to demonstrate the strength of the rest of my application... My GPA is about average for matriculants for most schools (would've been perfect if it weren't for the significant activities I engaged in toward the end of my undergraduate career). I'm a non-trad Ivy URM with objectively impressive achievements and experiences (I'd list some but it'd be way too identifiable) but it includes some of the most selective national/int'l fellowships, significant service, research, patents, work/life experience, etc. Mayo is my dream school and like everyone here, I believe I'd be a great fit, but I'm worried that I might get screened out.

No one can be too sure about the policy they have at AZ, but at MN there is an MCAT screen. From what has been said on the MN thread, anyone who falls below the 79th percentile (30 or 508) is screened out. This is before they look at your activities, read your PS, request LORs etc...
 
I wish I was trolling lol. I'm actually just curious if they employ rigid cutoffs because my MCAT score might preclude me from getting a shot to demonstrate the strength of the rest of my application... My GPA is about average for matriculants for most schools (would've been perfect if it weren't for the significant activities I engaged in toward the end of my undergraduate career). I'm a non-trad Ivy URM with objectively impressive achievements and experiences (I'd list some but it'd be way too identifiable) but it includes some of the most selective national/int'l fellowships, significant service, research, patents, work/life experience, etc. Mayo is my dream school and like everyone here, I believe I'd be a great fit, but I'm worried that I might get screened out.

To add to what's been posted here already, another poster has already reported that the 30 MCAT cutoff holds for URMs as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if Mayo has traditional student orgs? It's so small it may not. I know ARZ doesn't have any yet, but does the other campus?
 
I paid my fee and got a fee received email. There's also an email that states "we do not request letters from all applicants. If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part...".

For people who are further along in this process, was the next email saying you got a II (if you're kick ass enough) or is there an email saying that ARZ reviewed your letters (if you're in AMCAS)?
 
I paid my fee and got a fee received email. There's also an email that states "we do not request letters from all applicants. If your letters are already in AMCAS, there is no further action required on your part...".

For people who are further along in this process, was the next email saying you got a II (if you're kick ass enough) or is there an email saying that ARZ reviewed your letters (if you're in AMCAS)?
http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md/admissions-and-application-process

Take a look at Mayo's admissions process. There is a screen after the fee is paid that takes a look at your AMCAS primary (with a supposed emphasis on EC's). After this review, applicants are either rejected or moved into "final review" in consideration for interview invite. If you make it to final review, you will get an email notification requesting your LOR's.
 
http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md/admissions-and-application-process

Take a look at Mayo's admissions process. There is a screen after the fee is paid that takes a look at your AMCAS primary (with a supposed emphasis on EC's). After this review, applicants are either rejected or moved into "final review" in consideration for interview invite. If you make it to final review, you will get an email notification requesting your LOR's.


Great, the answer on there is pretty clear. Thanks!
 
Debating if it's too late to throw my hat into this ring....it's such a reach but my best letter writer is a Mayo MD alum and this school excites me so much....but also don't want to just throw money at them at this point in the game
 
Debating if it's too late to throw my hat into this ring....it's such a reach but my best letter writer is a Mayo MD alum and this school excites me so much....but also don't want to just throw money at them at this point in the game

Applying now might put you for an interview at the end of the season. Do you feel like your ECs are "diverse" enough and your app shows your individuality? If so, I don't think it's too late at all.
 
I'm a little suspicious of the idea that the adcoms are completely isolated from each other. A bit of communication would go a long way toward their stated goal of having 2 classes with roughly equal stats and such.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a little suspicious of the idea that the adcoms are completely isolated from each other. A bit of communication would go a long way toward their stated goal of having 2 classes with roughly equal stats and such.
Did they ever say that specifically? That they were isolated? Because I sincerely doubt it. They probably both use the same computer system and claim people lol
 
Until we know got sure there isn't some sort of tug of war game or communication between the 2 ADCOMs, pray you get the one you want!
Well seeing as I haven't been rejected by Mayo MN yet, I'm wondering if they're waiting to (hopefully) extend II to people who got II at AZ at a later date. Idk, just fun conjecture.