You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
@WedgeDawg
Secondary Prompts
SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify and select a diverse student body best suited to fulfill its mission: to assist the people of Central and Southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and ervice to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to this mission?
To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultiating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment.
If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application.
SIU Website Links
Admissions timeline
Admissions requirements
Admissions decisions explanation
Interview Day
Match results
FAQ
SDN Links
2012-2013 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2014-2015 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2015-2016 Applicant Sticky
Quick Facts
Application timetable
Earliest date: June
Latest date: November 15
Acceptance timetable
Earliest date: November
Response deadline: 2 weeks after acceptance
Screening fee: $75
Oldest MCAT considered: 2012 MCAT for 2015 applications
Data from 2014-2015 cycle
MD Applications: 1,312
MD/JD applications: 47
Acceptances: 145 (11%)
Matriculants: 72
Mean age: 23 (20-30)
Mean GPA: 3.64
Mean MCAT: 30
I am an MS3 as of the 2016-2017 year here at SIU School of Medicine. Please feel free to ask any questions here or via private message. Good luck!
Secondary Prompts
SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify and select a diverse student body best suited to fulfill its mission: to assist the people of Central and Southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and ervice to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to this mission?
To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultiating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment.
If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application.
SIU Website Links
Admissions timeline
Admissions requirements
Admissions decisions explanation
Interview Day
Match results
FAQ
SDN Links
2012-2013 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2014-2015 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2015-2016 Applicant Sticky
Quick Facts
Application timetable
Earliest date: June
Latest date: November 15
Acceptance timetable
Earliest date: November
Response deadline: 2 weeks after acceptance
Screening fee: $75
Oldest MCAT considered: 2012 MCAT for 2015 applications
Data from 2014-2015 cycle
MD Applications: 1,312
MD/JD applications: 47
Acceptances: 145 (11%)
Matriculants: 72
Mean age: 23 (20-30)
Mean GPA: 3.64
Mean MCAT: 30
I am an MS3 as of the 2016-2017 year here at SIU School of Medicine. Please feel free to ask any questions here or via private message. Good luck!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can't seem to find any word/character limit for the secondary essays (based on last year). Does anybody know if there are any limits?
I want to say it's around 3,000 characters but I don't remember exactly. That's the number I would shoot for if you are preparing for the secondary before it is sent to you. If someone could correct my number once they receive a secondary or remember the number from last years that'd be awesome. Just remember that with secondaries and personal statements you want to be able to say more with less. A powerful, succinct response will be more memorable when the admissions committee meets.
Last edited:
Has anyone received a secondary yet?
(If yes, then please post the essays and the character limit)
Thanks!
Edit: I was reading at previous cycle forums to find the secondary prompts and character limits. Here's what's i've found:
(If yes, then please post the essays and the character limit)
Thanks!
Edit: I was reading at previous cycle forums to find the secondary prompts and character limits. Here's what's i've found:
- Essay question #1: SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify and select a diverse student body best suited to fulfill its mission: to assist the people of central and southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and service to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to this mission? Please limit your answer to 300 words or less.
- Essay question #2: To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultivating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment. Please limit your answer to 500 words or less.
- Essay question #3: If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application. Please limit your answer to 300 words or less.
Last edited:
Does anyone know when they start sending out IIs? I've heard between 2-3 weeks of the submission of the secondary
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Interview invites and scheduling should be starting toward the end of July / early August. The first round of interviews are typically the week before the 2nd years start their school year which is about the 2nd-3rd week in August.Does anyone know when they start sending out IIs? I've heard between 2-3 weeks of the submission of the secondary
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
At this point, if we don't receive a secondary, are we screened out? Will they send an email telling us that?
It's still too early to say if you've been screened out as it takes a while for them to process the surge of applications this time of year; since we are a smaller school they prefer to go through applications in person rather than an automated system. Some people get secondaries right away and others take a little while. The admissions office is always open to questions and it surely doesn't hurt to give them a call during the week and inquire about your application. Everyone who works in the office is very friendly!At this point, if we don't receive a secondary, are we screened out? Will they send an email telling us that?
I wouldn't worry about being screened out or anything until later in the interview season considering interviews are still a few weeks away. They usually don't send you a direct notification that you've been screened out but as I stated before you're welcome to call and inquire any time!
Good luck!! Of note, a large majority of those who are asked to complete a secondary are eventually asked to come interview. Very good chances and hope you enjoy SIU!Submitted my secondary and sent off my payment/signature form today. Fingers crossed for an II!
Got a II this morning!! Very excited for my visit 🙂
Got a II this morning!! Very excited for my visit 🙂
Do you mind telling when you submitted your secondary?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mailed it out two weeks ago.Do you mind telling when you submitted your secondary?
Received an II! Yay! Does anybody know what percent of people SIU accept on average out of the number of people that they interview?
Yeah, so using a combination of the MSAR and their website it looks like about 50% are offered acceptances from their interview pool. Don't really know how accurate that number is, but it's the best I could find.Received an II! Yay! Does anybody know what percent of people SIU accept on average out of the number of people that they interview?
That is correct - about 50% of interviews are invited to accept a position.Yeah, so using a combination of the MSAR and their website it looks like about 50% are offered acceptances from their interview pool. Don't really know how accurate that number is, but it's the best I could find.
At this point, if we don't receive a secondary, are we screened out? Will they send an email telling us that?
If they decide to not send a secondary, I would guess you will get an email. I got an email saying I was a screeners alternate, not getting a secondary yet. But to keep updating them in case.
Do we get a complete email when everything is submitted?
Do we get a complete email when everything is submitted?
I never received an email saying my application was complete. The next email I received after the one requesting me to submit a secondary was inviting me to an interview. Generally if you are invited to submit a secondary you will be invited to interview
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I never received an email saying my application was complete. The next email I received after the one requesting me to submit a secondary was inviting me to an interview. Generally if you are invited to submit a secondary you will be invited to interview
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How long after sending in your secondary was your II?
How long after sending in your secondary was your II?
It was somewhere around 2 weeks. It depends on how quickly the mail can get to Springfield and how quickly the school reviews your secondary. If you look back in the 2014-2015 thread one student put a tracker on his envelope and gave a pretty good timeline for receiving the II. The process may change from year to year and I wouldn't worry if it takes a little bit longer than 2-3 weeks to hear back from the school.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
II! Can't wait!
Are you out of state? SIU only accepts Illinois residents for consideration.hey guys when I try to add this school on AMCAS it only gives me the option of the combined program? Why is that
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Worth a shot, they have to take a certain number of Northern kids because they receive tax funds from us.
Is it worth applying here if I'm from Northern IL?
It depends on where in Northern Illinois. Generally if you are from below I-80 SIU considers that Southern Illinois.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Edit: Format
I'm from the Rockford region which practically borders WI.
Rockford is probably a little farther than what SIU typically considers central/southern IL. Having said that, if you're willing to spend a little extra money, it never hurts to apply.
We do have a few out of state students who went through the MEDPREP program. I believe they were allowed to use their new Carbondale address as their state of residence for the application. Basically, MEDPREP is an excellent post-bac/grad program to help students (both in and out of state) improve their chances of being accepted into med school. I don't know a whole lot about the program so I'll try to minimize misinformation by referring you to these links.
http://www.siumed.edu/medprep/home.html
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/siu-medprep-2017.1210160/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/siu-medprep-2016.1159331/
If you have questions about MEDPREP program post them in the MEDPREP forum or you can DM me and I'll ask one of my friends who did the program.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Rockford is probably a little farther than what SIU typically considers central/southern IL. Having said that, if you're willing to spend a little extra money, it never hurts to apply.
We do have a few out of state students who went through the MEDPREP program. I believe they were allowed to use their new Carbondale address as their state of residence for the application. Basically, MEDPREP is an excellent post-bac/grad program to help students (both in and out of state) improve their chances of being accepted into med school. I don't know a whole lot about the program so I'll try to minimize misinformation by referring you to these links.
http://www.siumed.edu/medprep/home.html
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/siu-medprep-2017.1210160/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/siu-medprep-2016.1159331/
If you have questions about MEDPREP program post them in the MEDPREP forum or you can DM me and I'll ask one of my friends who did the program.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks for the help.
How long after you applied or received confirmation email did you receive secondary?
My application was verified by AMCAS on 08/12/14
SIU emailed me saying they received my application and they would screen it on 08/13/14 (subject: SIUMED:application acknowledgement)
SIU emailed me a secondary application request and a link to the secondary on 08/20/14 (subject: SIUMED: preliminary review complete)
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Nice dude I'm Northern too (Chicago)! Mines on September 7th, when's yours?? Can't wait.
Nice, represent. And mine is within a week of yours! I don't want to get more specific than that just for anonymity's sake, but hopefully we will be getting our AWPAs at the same time!😉
II today! Superrrrr pumped! Mailed in my stuff like two weeks ago.
Would any current student describe how anatomy is taught? And histology? Is it integrated with each unit? Is there a cadaver lab?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They only accept IS, and favor applicants from central and southern IL.I was looking at the MSAR and just curious, why do so few people apply to this school? Only 1200? And are they really OOS unfriendly lol?
Would any current student describe how anatomy is taught? And histology? Is it integrated with each unit? Is there a cadaver lab?
Anatomy and histology are definitely integrated with each unit and there is a cadaver lab where you will dissect with 7 other students on a body. You get to rotate bodies and get in each of the three units.
Like all of your basic science learning issues, you should be discussing the pertinent anatomy and histology for your case in tutor group. Nearly every week you will receive an anatomy and histology resource session in PowerPoint format. Following the resource session you will have a weekly anatomy (attendance is required) and histology lab (attendance is optional but strongly recommended). Half the class goes to anatomy while half goes to histology then you switch later in the week. You will be given 3 basic science exams in each unit: anatomy, histology, and the end of unit exam (main test that is worth majority of points)
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Had my interview this past week. I feel like it went really well, and I left with a much better impression of SIU than I was expecting to. I'd love to get an acceptance here!