2016-2017 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DIRECTIONS: The following questions are your opportunity to communicate why you are interested in attending the F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine—“America’s Medical School.” Our Admissions Committee will carefully consider your answers when making acceptance decisions. To be fair to all applicants, we ask that you adhere to the 200 word limit. Do NOT repeat your AMCAS; if you are reapplying, please do NOT copy a previous essay.

1. Military and Public Health Medicine is a calling that is both rewarding and challenging. “America’s Medical School” is looking for the absolute best to serve all military and Public Health Service beneficiaries—service members, retirees, and family members. Please describe your motivation to learn and practice medicine with the U.S. military medical corps and/or the U.S. Public Health Service. (200 words maximum)

2. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine features a distinctive curriculum that meets all of the requirements for a high quality medical degree AND prepares students to be highperforming officers in the medical corps of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service. Please describe what in your research about our school and/or in your personal or family background attracts you to our institution’s unique mission and approach. (200 words maximum)

3. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine receives far more outstanding applications from potential students than we are able to admit in any given year. Our Admissions Committee likes to assemble classes of students with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences and talents to care for our patients—many of whom have overcome impressive challenges while serving our country. Please describe a special quality or experience that will help you relate to our unique population and that will strengthen your class if admitted to “America’s Medical School.” (200 words maximum)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@WedgeDawg @Ismet

Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine Personal Statement
DIRECTIONS: The following questions are your opportunity to communicate why you are interested in attending the F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine—“America’s Medical School.” Our Admissions Committee will carefully consider your answers when making acceptance decisions. To be fair to all applicants, we ask that you adhere to the 200 word limit. Do NOT repeat your AMCAS; if you are reapplying, please do NOT copy a previous essay.

1. Military and Public Health Medicine is a calling that is both rewarding and challenging. “America’s Medical School” is looking for the absolute best to serve all military and Public Health Service beneficiaries—service members, retirees, and family members. Please describe your motivation to learn and practice medicine with the U.S. military medical corps and/or the U.S. Public Health Service. (200 words maximum)

2. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine features a distinctive curriculum that meets all of the requirements for a high quality medical degree AND prepares students to be highperforming officers in the medical corps of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service. Please describe what in your research about our school and/or in your personal or family background attracts you to our institution’s unique mission and approach. (200 words maximum)

3. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine receives far more outstanding applications from potential students than we are able to admit in any given year. Our Admissions Committee likes to assemble classes of students with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences and talents to care for our patients—many of whom have overcome impressive challenges while serving our country. Please describe a special quality or experience that will help you relate to our unique population and that will strengthen your class if admitted to “America’s Medical School.” (200 words maximum)

Reactions: 2 users
Well...here we go again. Good luck everyone! Really hoping to make it further than the pre-interview hold this year!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
when i figure out how i got in, i promise to share it here. in the mean time, best of luck to you all!

when i figure out how i got in, i promise to share it here. in the mean time, best of luck to you all!
Oh please do, it's definitely in my top 2 next to my state school.

1) Is anyone in the Guard applying to USUHS?
2) Why is USUHS asking for ACT/SAT scores in supplemental application?
3) Are we allowed to start filling out our supplemental application material before receiving the email? It's on their admissions page.

1) Is anyone in the Guard applying to USUHS?
2) Why is USUHS asking for ACT/SAT scores in supplemental application?
3) Are we allowed to start filling out our supplemental application material before receiving the email? It's on their admissions page.

1. Yes, I am just waiting to hear back to see if the Adjutant General needs to sign off or if the local commander can.
2. No idea but when I submitted mine last year without one it didn't matter.
3. Fill it out but don't send it in until after you get the email, never know if they decide to change something (unlikely).

I called them in January about LOA. They said your CO can sign it. However, I'm not sure if we still need to fill out the first page. I had the Command Endorsement page signed by my commander. (I changed the wording from "recommends approval" to "has approval" per their instruction in FAQ.)

Did you fill it out and leave the link open? Or does it allow you export as PDF? Or open an account to save at the end?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is anyone else having the name of this school truncated on their AMCAS app? Mine reads:

"Uniformed Services University of the Health Scienc"

I can't remember if we typed this in manually or selected it from a drop-down menu.

Last time I filled out everything and was able to export a PDF. I sent in all of my papers associated with the LOA afterwards. Are you filling out the DD368?

No, they didn't mention DD368 anywhere in their instructions. Did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
@Red Lobster Actual Do you have any advice on the secondary essays? As in points they like to hear? (Or not hear for that matter) I come from a navy family so I'm familiar with the military culture but not the medical side.

@Red Lobster Actual Do you have any advice on the secondary essays? As in points they like to hear? (Or not hear for that matter) I come from a navy family so I'm familiar with the military culture but not the medical side.

Unfortunately...not really? At this point of the application everyone's background is quite different so there really isn't anything I can say that can be all that useful. Coming from a military family does definitely help since you can weave that into the secondary essay since the second question asks about it. I wrote about my time shadowing, working, and training with a US Navy Reserve physician since I did not come from a military family.

Just keep in mind that USUHS is unique in that it combines the call to medicine and the call to service and we want to make sure you understand what that entails. I believe that is something you should keep in mind as you write your essay.

Sorry I could not be more specific!

Unfortunately...not really? At this point of the application everyone's background is quite different so there really isn't anything I can say that can be all that useful. Coming from a military family does definitely help since you can weave that into the secondary essay since the second question asks about it. I wrote about my time shadowing, working, and training with a US Navy Reserve physician since I did not come from a military family.

Just keep in mind that USUHS is unique in that it combines the call to medicine and the call to service and we want to make sure you understand what that entails. I believe that is something you should keep in mind as you write your essay.

Sorry I could not be more specific!

Oh no I didn't expect some magic incantation to put down that would shoo me in, that's plenty of info to make sure I point the essays in the right direction. Thanks!

Good luck everyone. Current MS1 here. Feel free to ask any question about the school and I'll do my best to answer.
Do they have an affiliation with the VA? Do some graduates contract to work for the VA for x years? Do they assign you the branch of your service commitment upon acceptance?
Thanks in advance.

Do they have an affiliation with the VA?

Yes, during clerkship years you will have the option of rotating through the DC's VA with internal medicine or with psychiatry.

Do some graduates contract to work for the VA for x years?

No, you will be an active duty physician. VA hospitals are staffed by civilians. However, after completion of active duty you can work for the VA and roll over your years in active duty for years of federal service for matters of pension.

Do they assign you the branch of your service commitment upon acceptance?

If granted an interview you will be able to fill out a form stating your branch preference. The school will do their best to accommodate but they will not and cannot force you into a branch without your consent.

Reactions: 1 user
I am noticing during filling out the secondary application that they want either a pre-medical committee letter or 2 academic letters of recommendation. My school does not have a pre-medical committee. I haven't been in college for several years so I did not maintain contact with my professors after leaving so I'm not sure they would remember me for a letter of recommendation. I do, however, work for an academic medical center (level-1 trauma center) and my medical director is an associate professor of emergency medicine at the university associated with the medical center. Could I count his letter of recommendation as an academic LOR? How heavily enforced is this requirement from USUHS? I also used to provide consultation to the Defense Health Board trauma subcommittee when I was a medic in the Army. Would LOR's from the physicians on the subcommittee count as academic LOR's?

pretty trivial question, but is there a way to save your responses on the google form for the secondary? or do you just have to do them in one shot?

Google form isn't a great system. You have to do it in one shot. Prepare your essay questions separately. Give yourself a good amount of time for all the class listings and such.

These letters are from professors that you have taken a college accredited course that you have received a grade in. This type of letter is enforced for all medical schools.

Double check with school's website to be sure.
Thanks for the reply-- I know what the requirement means, but I am wondering if the LORs can be supplemented with other things. It's kind of like the clinical LOR-- most folks applying to USUHS can't get a true clinical LOR because they lack a medical certification to actually put hands on patients but USUHS requires at least one. I took classes and got good grades, but it has been a couple years since I graduated from college so my professors would probably not remember me.

Thanks for the reply-- I know what the requirement means, but I am wondering if the LORs can be supplemented with other things. It's kind of like the clinical LOR-- most folks applying to USUHS can't get a true clinical LOR because they lack a medical certification to actually put hands on patients but USUHS requires at least one. I took classes and got good grades, but it has been a couple years since I graduated from college so my professors would probably not remember me.

Unlikely. You can always ask the medical schools directly but this has been my application experience and how I interpreted what the schools wanted.

Unlikely. You can always ask the medical schools directly but this has been my application experience and how I interpreted what the schools wanted.
I appreciate the feedback. If this is what keeps me from getting into medical school, than I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Submitted my secondary application for USUHS today.

What are you going to do about your letters?
Well, they didn't ask about it last year and I was interviewed and placed on the waitlist. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens this year. Dr. Saguil made it seem like my clinical LORs, GPA, and experience were enough to at least get my foot in the door for at least a consideration.

Well, they didn't ask about it last year and I was interviewed and placed on the waitlist. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens this year. Dr. Saguil made it seem like my clinical LORs, GPA, and experience were enough to at least get my foot in the door for at least a consideration.

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?
BCPM GPA: 3.65
cGPA: 3.74
BS in Physiology
MCAT: 501
15 years as a paramedic, the last 6 working at a level-1 trauma center- current certifications in ACLS, PALS, ITLS, AMLS, BLS
Seven combat deployments to both OEF and OIF
I know my MCAT score is not great, but I am retaking it.

Reactions: 1 users
submit my secondary and photo to USUHS, and received confirmation today that all my materials have been received. Here's to hoping for an interview... :luck::xf:

submit my secondary and photo to USUHS, and received confirmation today that all my materials have been received. Here's to hoping for an interview... :luck::xf:

I just submitted my secondary and photo as well the other day but did not receive any confirmation. Did you receive a confirmation by email form your admissions advisor or what?

Last edited:
I just submitted my secondary and photo as well the other day but did not receive any confirmation. Did you receive a confirmation by email form your admissions advisor or what?
I specifically asked my advisor for a confirmation back. Somewhere in the instructions for the secondary it says you have to type "confirmation requested" in the subject line of email when sending the photo.

Can any current students or those starting this year comment about USUHS accepting post-bacc/SMP GPAs in lieu of uGPA?

Can any current students or those starting this year comment about USUHS accepting post-bacc/SMP GPAs in lieu of uGPA?

USUHS takes those grades very seriously. They won't use it to replace your undergrad GPA but if you can demonstrate you can handle medical school with the SMP grade they will look at your application seriously. Since if they hadn't I would not be here right now.

USUHS takes those grades very seriously. They won't use it to replace your undergrad GPA but if you can demonstrate you can handle medical school with the SMP grade they will look at your application seriously. Since if they hadn't I would not be here right now.
Thanks for the reply. I did the VCU CERT program and have a 4.0. I am very interested in this school. Working on the secondary has been challenging because I really want to communicate with the adcom. I'm a re-applicant

Last edited:
Secondary submitted! Good luck everybody

Secondary received! I am so excited to be applying here. Good luck to everyone!

What is the likelihood of getting a waiver for visual acuity. To date, I have never utilized any accommodations. My eyesight is correctable to 20/70 -20/80.
If you're correctable, than you're probably okay. Gotta visit an eye doc (maybe swing by your local Army/Air Force/Navy/etc. recruiter and ask them--you could also call USUHS and inquire). Military is only really concerned about vision if it's not correctable, so if you can get a waiver that notes PRK/Lasik is possible then I can't imagine you having a problem.

Secondary Submitted!

1. Yes, I am just waiting to hear back to see if the Adjutant General needs to sign off or if the local commander can.
2. No idea but when I submitted mine last year without one it didn't matter.
3. Fill it out but don't send it in until after you get the email, never know if they decide to change something (unlikely).
So we do not have to list our SAT score?

So we do not have to list our SAT score?
I didn't last year but if you can obtain yours or remember it I would put it on there. I was given feedback on several portions of my app last year, that was not one they had an issue with.

I received a usuhs complete email today from the generic admissions email... weird, because I thought I was complete since June 28...

Last edited: