2016-2017 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did you apply for it? maybe that means you are getting off soon?
That would be nice but I really doubt it.

Members don't see this ad.

I called the admission office and talked to Brian earlier today. He said they're really trying to let us know within the next couple of weeks but they still don't know for sure :(

Reactions: 2 users
I called the admission office and talked to Brian earlier today. He said they're really trying to let us know within the next couple of weeks but they still don't know for sure :(
Thank you for keeping us updated. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the update!

Did Brian mean that they don't know for sure when they'll be letting us know? Or don't know if there will be waitlist movement?

Thanks for the update!

Did Brian mean that they don't know for sure when they'll be letting us know? Or don't know if there will be waitlist movement?

Both! He said they expect some movement but they can't tell how many people it would be.

I called last week and heard similar.
If any of you guys get off the WL in the coming weeks please let us know!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew today. One of the hardest decisions of my life, and I'm sure I will regret it very often but I'm ok with where I'll be headed and won't be as in debt. I sincerely hope my spot goes to one of you fine people.

On that note, for any of you reading this (and especially @shine with me ;)), I have one legitimate request for you:

One day after you get there, go get some mexican food. maybe some tacos or california burritos. sit on the beach, maybe black's beach because it's nearby. go with some friends, go alone, whatever you feel most comfortable with...go and eat your mexican food and jarritos or whatever beverage you want, enjoy the beach and the embrace of the winds coming off the water, gaze off into that beautiful blue ocean and be at peace. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time and I'm not gonna lie, I'm tearing up at the thought of it.

Until I (hopefully) end up in Southern California in the future...I wish you all the best, future colleagues :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Withdrew today. One of the hardest decisions of my life, and I'm sure I will regret it very often but I'm ok with where I'll be headed and won't be as in debt. I sincerely hope my spot goes to one of you fine people.

On that note, for any of you reading this (and especially @shine with me ;)), I have one legitimate request for you:

One day after you get there, go get some mexican food. maybe some tacos or california burritos. sit on the beach, maybe black's beach because it's nearby. go with some friends, go alone, whatever you feel most comfortable with...go and eat your mexican food and jarritos or whatever beverage you want, enjoy the beach and the embrace of the winds coming off the water, gaze off into that beautiful blue ocean and be at peace. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time and I'm not gonna lie, I'm tearing up at the thought of it.

Until I (hopefully) end up in Southern California in the future...I wish you all the best, future colleagues :)

I wish you nothing but the best and I'm sure you're gonna be a great physician where ever you go!
Good luck :)

A thousand congrats! We'll miss you at UCSD but I'm really excited that you're going to another great place.

0d6dfe36322c4c0d33fc291cf69a1b44.gif

As for that request: yes, yes, and yes. You paint such a lovely picture and please know that you'll always have an open invitation for this whenever you're in SD (whether for vacation, rotation, etc.)

I wish you nothing but the best and I'm sure you're gonna be a great physician where ever you go!
Good luck :)
Absolute agreement :)

Accepted student here - does anyone know how receptive UCSD is to deferring matriculation one year? (for a good reason such as finishing a masters or completing significant research) I can't find info on their website...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I just read almost this entire thread as I am applying this cycle (2017-2018) and trying to see how big a factor timing plays into UCSDs II schedules. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share.
So my questions are:
a) How long after submitting your application did it take to receive secondaries?
b) When people say submitted/completed on this thread, is that referring to submission of secondary?
c) Would you agree that earlier applications had stronger chances of receiving IIs? If so, what seems to be too late?

Does anyone know if most WL acceptances came out today or will they be rolling throughout the entire week or two?

Does anyone know if most WL acceptances came out today or will they be rolling throughout the entire week or two?
I think they're gonna roll out over the next month.

Hey all, I just read almost this entire thread as I am applying this cycle (2017-2018) and trying to see how big a factor timing plays into UCSDs II schedules. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share.
So my questions are:
a) How long after submitting your application did it take to receive secondaries?
b) When people say submitted/completed on this thread, is that referring to submission of secondary?
c) Would you agree that earlier applications had stronger chances of receiving IIs? If so, what seems to be too late?

a) The time it takes to get a secondary is variable. The UCs actually screen out the applicants they most likely won't be giving interviews to also. For me and my buddy that got secondaries UCSD took about 2 weeks from the time we submitted our primaries.

b) Yes

c) Most medical schools are rolling so being early can only help. A general rule of thumb is to try to get your secondary in within 2-3 weeks of receiving it, 4 weeks at the most.

I got an email at 10 this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats on the acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats?

I just called Brian again and he said as of this morning they have filled their class, however some of the newly accepted applicants might not matriculate of course. He said they aren't able to let us know how many were pulled this morning.

I just called Brian again and he said as of this morning they have filled their class, however some of the newly accepted applicants might not matriculate of course. He said they aren't able to let us know how many were pulled this morning.
Thanks for the update. This news is disheartening :(

In a snapshot:

MCAT 38, GPA 3.9, LizzyM 77. Undergrad UC Berkeley. Did research and a partnered Americorps program while in college. Took two gap years during which time I worked in an orthopedic clinic.

Congrats! Did you send them an update/LOI?

No, I just got an email asking if I was still interested. I replied with a few sentences on how I would still love to go to UCSD.

Hope this helps!

In a snapshot:

MCAT 38, GPA 3.9, LizzyM 77. Undergrad UC Berkeley. Did research and a partnered Americorps program while in college. Took two gap years during which time I worked in an orthopedic clinic.

No, I just got an email asking if I was still interested. I replied with a few sentences on how I would still love to go to UCSD.

Hope this helps!
Congrats! I don't know why they would even bother waitlisting you in the first place lol

I called Brian and he confirmed the class is exactly full at the moment because they gave a couple spots on Wednesday. However he said that it's far from over. He sounded confident they'll be adding more people from the waitlist as spots open. He mentioned people want to defer as well.

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone have the most recent match list for UCSD SOM? Many thanks in advance!

Called the office and they said they released more acceptances this week. Guess no one posted them here. They said the class is full and it sounds like there would only be movement for potential deferrals or people being taken off the waitlist for other schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Called the office and they said they released more acceptances this week. Guess no one posted them here. They said the class is full and it sounds like there would only be movement for potential deferrals or people being taken off the waitlist for other schools.

Did they happen to mention if a lot of people were accepted this week?

Maybe some of you are like me. You decided to check SDN on a whim. You read the message above and for a moment or two, you forgot where you were and what you were doing. In that moment, you processed the words of the comment. And as you did, there was that all-too-familiar feeling of that sinking pit in your chest. The feeling of a hope, fracturing; the feeling of a dream, slipping though your fingers.

I just wanted to tell you guys, that you guys aren't alone. I've been there before. I feel this way now. But this time around, the anticipation of a rejection from UCSD, is not met with self-pity. No. This time around, it's met with action. This time around it's met with the understanding that EVEN IF i get rejected again, I'll grow; I'll learn, and take away lessons that will help cement myself into the kind of person that I strive to be.

Don't stop growing. Learn what it means to make the best of your situation. And live your life. It's yours and yours entirely. Don't let the anticipation of a rejection or multiple rejections strip you of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Have accepted students received any additional communication since Second Look? I keep having this creeping fear that I'm missing important emails.

Have accepted students received any additional communication since Second Look? I keep having this creeping fear that I'm missing important emails.
Nope nothing...

Me neither. I had called (I think two weeks ago?) and the office said there haven't been any emails yet so we shouldn't have missed anything :xf:

channeling all of my good energies/vibes to get a miraculous acceptance here

Reactions: 6 users
channeling all of my good energies/vibes to get a miraculous acceptance here

We've got to hold on to what we've got
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer

Reactions: 2 users
I called Brian to ask for a general idea of WL movement in the upcoming weeks and he said they've historically finished accepting people off the WL by the third week of June. Unfortunately, the number of applicants that get off between now and then varies year to year so he can't say how much movement there'll be.

Sending good vibes to all my fellow waitlisted peeps :) It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm curious to know fellow students plans for housing?

I'm curious to know fellow students plans for housing?

Still on waitlist for on-campus grad housing, but also looking for off-campus options... Did accepted students receive any info about health clearance?

Congrats! Mind sharing your stats? Also, email or phone call?

Is anyone doing the summer CTBS program?

Last edited:
Really hoping for just one more week of waitlist movement

Reactions: 3 users
I'm just waiting for the axe at this point...

Has anyone been released from the waitlist yet?

Not yet. But yeah I'm not expecting anything at this point.

I'm just waiting for the axe at this point...

Has anyone been released from the waitlist yet?

I had called in this week, and was told that they are likely going to be releasing a batch of people from the waitlist sometime this week. Also seems movement is pretty slow if at all at this point :confused:

I had called in this week, and was told that they are likely going to be releasing a batch of people from the waitlist sometime this week. Also seems movement is pretty slow if at all at this point :confused:

Thank you for updating the rest of us!

I feel kind of weird checking my email for a rejection letter every morning this week but the closure will be nice :')

Thank you for updating the rest of us!

I feel kind of weird checking my email for a rejection letter every morning this week but the closure will be nice :')

definitely. also, the transparency the office had with us was quite refreshing. they were always incredibly patient and took the time to answer any questions without making us feel silly

Does anyone know if they have released anyone from the waitlist today?

Does anyone know if they have released anyone from the waitlist today?

Not sure if they've released anyone but apparently they've sent out acceptances today.

Last edited: