2016-2017 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed on 1/24 and was told that there was a meeting taking place today for acceptance/waitlist/rejections decisions. Brian said he'd let us know tomorrow (1/31) about the results.

Just want to say good luck to anyone who has interviewed and is waiting for a decision. I'm gonna be praying to every deity and ancestor I got out there tonight for good news.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 1/24 and was told that there was a meeting taking place today for acceptance/waitlist/rejections decisions. Brian said he'd let us know tomorrow (1/31) about the results.

Just want to say good luck to anyone who has interviewed and is waiting for a decision. I'm gonna be praying to every deity and ancestor I got out there tonight for good news.
Hey! I interviewed that day too and came on to SDN just to see if any of my fellow interviewees had posted. Back at you for the well wishes. My lack of sending a thank you note (first school I haven't sent to cause travel and then wisdom teeth surgery) has me in a paranoia. I seriously doubt they would reject me on the basis of that but then I think this process isn't reasonable so never know...

Did you send one lol?

Just also want to wish the best of luck to those expecting news tomorrow!

Just also want to wish the best of luck to those expecting news tomorrow!
Same! Good luck, y'all, and hope you'll hear some great news!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@aukhadnaam: I'm pretty sure someone asked about sending thank you letters and Brian said "I'm glad your parents raised you correctly, but there's no need." From this, I kind of got the vibe that I shouldn't send a card.

Today is our judgment day, and I'll be anxiously awaiting my fate, hahaha. I'll post my results whether they be ideal or not just to let people on here get another small sample size addition.

@aukhadnaam I was there last week as well. Definitely got the vibe to not send thank you cards/letter.

Good luck to everyone!!! If you'll excuse me, I have to go use the restroom... again...

Yeah, they don't want any extra paperwork... Can you blame them with everyone playing frisbee outside their office windows?

And results are in everyone: Waitlist.

I am honestly pretty crushed. Hope others don't feel the pain I'm feeling right now, but what can you do? This is a journey that is obviously long and arduous and I will be back.

Rejected!
Surprised because the MMI went so well, but not so surprised with my lack of research background.
Good luck to everyone!

And results are in everyone: Waitlist.

I am honestly pretty crushed. Hope others don't feel the pain I'm feeling right now, but what can you do? This is a journey that is obviously long and arduous and I will be back.

I was WLed as well. Felt like it was the worst interview I'd had and was afraid of this but was hoping they'd appreciate the rest of my application enough to give the acceptance. If it's any consolation, an MS4 I toured a free clinic with had been waitlisted, so there is movement! This especially crushes me as it's my third waitlist (NYU, Keck, UCSD); hoping it's the last...

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted, pretty bummed but it is nice to not have the constant anxiety of waiting anymore. Props to those that got in.

@aukhadnaam: same, waitlisted at 3 schools so far this year and one more interview that I haven't gotten results for yet.

Last time this year I was staring at 4 waitlists and it seriously crushes me to think that I'll be facing the same situation yet again. All I can hope is that SD comes back to me with good news come May.

My whole pre-med school journey can be summed up as: "So close, and yet so far."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II just now (complete in December) Super excited

I just called the admissions office today to ask about my "on hold" app and they said that they're going to send out their last batch of interviews this week. So anyone who is on hold should be hearing back by this week or so.

Has anyone gotten an II who was previously on hold??
Me! Just received II via email, was on hold since early October. Only one date was available, and it was end of February. Complete end of August, IS, LizzyM 76

Reactions: 1 user
I just called the admissions office today to ask about my "on hold" app and they said that they're going to send out their last batch of interviews this week. So anyone who is on hold should be hearing back by this week or so.
:eek:

I just want to have a chance to interview and I've never been put on hold...pretty please UCSD.

So...today's the day? Do or die?

I called and they said no more spots left, unless someone cancels. We'll get the cut on Feb 23 if that's the case. Bummer.

My interview is scheduled for Feb 16th. Im most likely going to withdraw in the next day or two, don't think I can afford the trip.

Does anyone who interviewed here last week remember when they said decisions would come out?

Waitlisted :/ bummer. I thought these interviews went really well.

Waitlisted :/ bummer. I thought these interviews went really well.

It doesn't matter how well they go sometimes, only 1/6 of the people in the interview day get offers... It's like the opposite of Russian Roulette...

Don't take it too personally, it's pretty random.

I called and they said no more spots left, unless someone cancels. We'll get the cut on Feb 23 if that's the case. Bummer.

I can confirm this--I called this morning and admissions said the same thing about people who are still on hold. They also added that there are still a few hundred people on hold, so those people are vying for the handful of spots that may or may not open up. February 23rd is their last interview date. :/

Received an II couple days ago. Never on hold, IS, LM~70, Prime applicant. Only available date was this Thursday. Going to turn it down due to acceptances at other school and price of the trip. Hopefully it goes to someone still waiting. Best of luck all!

Received an II couple days ago. Never on hold, IS, LM~70, Prime applicant. Only available date was this Thursday. Going to turn it down due to acceptances at other school and price of the trip. Hopefully it goes to someone still waiting. Best of luck all!

good person. bless your soul.

So... today's the day for Feb 2nd interviewees

Edit: Accepted! Beyond ecstatic

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got my email. Waitlist! I feel like everyone I know is on it tho soooo.....hmmm...

I really appreciate their quick turnaround time following interviews. I am feeling more than a little flabbergasted that I was accepted :eek:

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II after being put on hold on 10/7. Only date available was 2/21...jeez. Good thing I live in the area.

Just got an II after being put on hold on 10/7. Only date available was 2/21...jeez. Good thing I live in the area.

I was put on hold that same date. I would love an II here...

Has anyone received a post-interview rejection?
It seemed like everyone either was accepted or waitlisted following their interview but I haven't checked into this thread in a while

Has anyone received a post-interview rejection?
It seemed like everyone either was accepted or waitlisted following their interview but I haven't checked into this thread in a while

One of my friends was rejected post-interview, but haven't heard of any others

WL'd back in November. Does anyone know how receptive the school is to updates?

WL'd back in November. Does anyone know how receptive the school is to updates?
I remember them saying they will email us the first week of May and that would be an appropriate time to send an update letter and/or letter of intent.

So, I recently got an II (on Thurs.) for next Tues. 2/21.
They said they would send me information about the interview in a follow up email on Friday, but they haven't. And now I'm afraid that they forgot or won't be able to before Tues. given that it's a long weekend.

Does anyone have any idea where/when I should go, what things I need to bring, etc.?

So, I recently got an II (on Thurs.) for next Tues. 2/21.
They said they would send me information about the interview in a follow up email on Friday, but they haven't. And now I'm afraid that they forgot or won't be able to before Tues. given that it's a long weekend.

Does anyone have any idea where/when I should go, what things I need to bring, etc.?

This was from October, but probably still reliable.

View attachment 214968
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 1.56.42 PM.png

I have a few general questions about the MMI process:

1. Yes, I think you get 1 minute to preview the scenario.
2. Can't say (NDA).
3. That would be wise. Be familiar with your app and ready for any question.

Good luck!

I have a few general questions about the MMI process:

1. Will we be able to write down our thoughts in a station before we begin speaking?
  2. In the stations, will there be role playing, discussions, and/or activities?
  3. Are we expected to support our answers with our experiences and activities listed in our application?

Many thanks!
Yes, you have a few minutes to read the prompt like in every MMI. They give you something to write on if that helps you gather your thoughts. For the other two, I would just prepare like that for any MMI as that is what they are based on. Prep for this one like you would any other.

In case anyone was wondering, UCSD finished its interview season and will be sending out notices in the coming days/weeks to those who haven't heard anything yet. Don't know about acceptances.