2016-2017 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine went from "yes" to "--", and just became "yes" again today.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OH YEAH
JUST GOT A TALKING TO ABOUT NOT BEING GOOD ENOUGH FOR ANYWHERE AND JUST GOT A UCSD II

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to those who just received interview invitations. I am curious, what was your experience with the whole "yes"/"--" debacle...not to drag that out or anything.

My "Invited for Interview" is still "--". If this is what you are referring to.

Some of us were having an issue where our "Application forwarded to committee for review:" went from a "yes" back to a "--" for a few days.

Oooooh. I haven't been monitoring my portal much, but at the moment it is a "Yes". No idea if that particular issue occurred for me at all.

II today! OOS, LM 74, complete July 10th maybe? But not forwarded to the committee until early August.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How does the pre-secondary screening work here? Based on numbers, or holistically with your EC and PS and mission-fit?

^ For me, after I have input my SSN into the portal, I received an Email the next day asking me to create an account. Once that is all done, the committee will review your application to see if they will grant you a secondary. Well, that was the message that I got from them. I got the secondary 1-2 day following that. Hope this helps.

just got the email asking me to create an account, hoping this leads to a secondary within the next few days!

when it says dont repeat your amcas personal statement for the autobiography, is it okay if we talk about the same activities but written in a different light on how it contributed to my growth?

when it says dont repeat your amcas personal statement for the autobiography, is it okay if we talk about the same activities but written in a different light on how it contributed to my growth?

I talked about my upbringing and other struggles I went through and how it also lead me to medicine.

I talked about my upbringing and other struggles I went through and how it also lead me to medicine.

I did the same. I focused on other topics (mainly my life pre college) that that I didn't mention in my PS. Same goes for my motivations for a career in medicine. Almost everything was new.

Reactions: 1 user
do you guys think if we passed the screening for a secondary that means our stats are good enough for admission? not sure how selective their screening is

do you guys think if we passed the screening for a secondary that means our stats are good enough for admission? not sure how selective their screening is
Well maybe this puts things in perspective for you, they receive about 7500 applications, they give secondaries to a little less than half. Lets just say 3000. Out of those 3000 they give about 500-600 interview invites. Then they give about 200-250 admission offers for a class of 125.

So if you received a secondary its a good sign but it definitely doesn't guarantee anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Well maybe this puts things in perspective for you, they receive about 7500 applications, they give secondaries to a little less than half. Lets just say 3000. Out of those 3000 they give about 500-600 interview invites. Then they give about 200-250 admission offers for a class of 125.

So if you received a secondary its a good sign but it definitely doesn't guarantee anything.

Wow thanks! So it's about a little less than 50% chance at admission post interview. Pretty good!

Just got my secondary! Finished UCR now just waiting for the rest of the UCs though :/ I hope passing UCSD's screening correlates with passing the others (ucsf, Ucla)

Just got my secondary! Finished UCR now just waiting for the rest of the UCs though :/ I hope passing UCSD's screening correlates with passing the others (ucsf, Ucla)
UCSD was really fast for me, and then UCSF came a month later. Still waiting on UCLA. I think it's difficult to predict.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if they accept additional LORs after we complete the secondary? I know they don't accept actual updates but I wanted to send another LOR next month on top of the 3 minimum letters

UCSD was really fast for me, and then UCSF came a month later. Still waiting on UCLA. I think it's difficult to predict.
Agreed.

I got UCLA almost immediately after my MCAT scores came in, UCSF ~ week after, and UCSD 8days.

Are you IS? I'm OOS and not sure if to apply to other UCs, the $$$ is holding me back. Only did UCLA, UCSF, and UCSD

Are you IS? I'm OOS and not sure if to apply to other UCs, the $$$ is holding me back. Only did UCLA, UCSF, and UCSD

Yeah I'm IS, I thought I'd get Davis and Irvine by now but no word from them which is surprising since I heard they favor IS applicants

Wondering where you got this info? Last year, was told secondaries go out to around 2/3 of applicants when I had asked over the phone

I believe the other UC's have strong in-state bias, so it might not be worth your money to apply.