2016-2017 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current M1 at UCFCOM. Feel free to PM any questions you may have about the school, I am definitely enjoying my experience so far. As a heads up, I interviewed in November and was on the WL until July 1 before getting accepted. So there definitely is a lot of movement over the course of the interview season. Good luck!
What place on the waitlist were you on? Im really worried about my position

Members don't see this ad.

I was in middle 1/3 of WL. Initially in lower half of that but moved up to upper half.

Wow that gives me hope!! I'm in the middle 1/3 too.

If you don't mind me asking, were you accepted elsewhere? And if that's the case, did you find it a little troublesome having to accommodate and move things around when you got the acceptance to UCF? In regards to if you were already set on a place to live closer to another school?

And also, were you able to receive some sort of scholarship funding given that you were accepted so close to the semester starting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that gives me hope!! I'm in the middle 1/3 too.

If you don't mind me asking, were you accepted elsewhere? And if that's the case, did you find it a little troublesome having to accommodate and move things around when you got the acceptance to UCF? In regards to if you were already set on a place to live closer to another school?

And also, were you able to receive some sort of scholarship funding given that you were accepted so close to the semester starting?
Sure moving around last second wasn't easy as I was prepared to go to another medical school. Once I got the acceptance here, I was able to switch up my living arrangements and everything else. It definitely took a lot of time and effort but I always knew I'd come to UCF if I got accepted. I was still given a small grant scholarship even though I was accepted late. I'd say if you get accepted here and you think it's a good fit, it's definitely worthwhile to make whatever adjustments to your living situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure moving around last second wasn't easy as I was prepared to go to another medical school. Once I got the acceptance here, I was able to switch up my living arrangements and everything else. It definitely took a lot of time and effort but I always knew I'd come to UCF if I got accepted. I was still given a small grant scholarship even though I was accepted late. I'd say if you get accepted here and you think it's a good fit, it's definitely worthwhile to make whatever adjustments to your living situation.
Thank you so much!

So I was just updated to "eligible for interview" and I'm OOS. How long did it take for most people to get an update after that?

It can range from anywhere between 2 weeks to months upon months. I was EFI mid-September, and I still haven't heard anything. Others have heard much sooner. So it just depends

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I was just updated to "eligible for interview" and I'm OOS. How long did it take for most people to get an update after that?

I may be an anomaly, but I got an II like three days after being marked EFI. There doesn't seem to be a set timeline, so try to be patient -- even though that's easier said than done! :)

I called and was told there are about 1300 people EFI and 425 interview spots

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called and was told there are about 1300 people EFI and 425 interview spots

MVP right here taking one for the team! :highfive:

Edit: I thought I read somewhere that there are usually ~2000 applicants who are EFI tho

Interview request on 11/28. Any MS1/2/3s on here? I would love to ask some questions I have to see if I want to go to the interview. Anyone know if community service is required? How is it incorporated into curriculum like is it a part of a class? Is class pass fail? Is there any time off to study for USMLE? Are classes recorded?
  • Community service isn't required, but there are plenty of opportunities to do it.
  • We get four weeks off to study for Step 1.
  • Most all classes are recorded and available to stream online.

• Community service isn't required, but there are plenty of opportunities to do it.
  • We get four weeks off to study for Step 1.
  • Most all classes are recorded and available to stream online.
Thank you wow UCF sounds perfect.

MVP right here taking one for the team! :highfive:

Edit: I thought I read somewhere that there are usually ~2000 applicants who are EFI tho

Does anyone have an idea of how many of the 425 II have been sent out?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have an idea of how many of the 425 II have been sent out?

Ah damn...
I didn't know they only had 425 interview slots!

With everyone but me getting an II that's not very reassuring.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ah damn...
I didn't know they only had 425 interview slots!

With everyone but me getting an II that's not very reassuring.

That's what I've read on the thread...the UCF COM timeline states that they send II's starting in Aug and all the way into March. If they spread the 425 II out evenly across those eight months then theoretically there are still 213ish II's still out there which would be awesome, BUT I'm not sure if the II's are front loaded...I can't imagine they send out many II's in March. If I were to guess, I'd say they've probably sent out 250 or so II's leaving 175 II's left, but I really have no idea. I wish they would send updates on how the EFI list moves like the do for the wait list.... I hate the speculation game haha idk why i do this to myself....

That's what I've read on the thread...the UCF COM timeline states that they send II's starting in Aug and all the way into March. If they spread the 425 II out evenly across those eight months then theoretically there are still 213ish II's still out there which would be awesome, BUT I'm not sure if the II's are front loaded...I can't imagine they send out many II's in March. If I were to guess, I'd say they've probably sent out 250 or so II's leaving 175 II's left, but I really have no idea. I wish they would send updates on how the EFI list moves like the do for the wait list.... I hate the speculation game haha idk why i do this to myself....

You could ask @REL to alleviate some of those concerns. Couldn't hurt. UCF has been the most transparent of any school I've interacted with regarding their admissions process.

Did anyone submit a Letter of Update here? I've been rewriting mine for a few weeks and I can't decide if it would be better to give details, or make it brief!

Did anyone submit a Letter of Update here? I've been rewriting mine for a few weeks and I can't decide if it would be better to give details, or make it brief!

I sent an update to UCF and other schools. I had about 3 paragraphs total, but adjusted the message based on the school. The longest letter was a full page, double spaced. The shortest letter was about half of a page (to a school that already knew about one of the updates). The one I sent to UCF was somewhere in between.

Reactions: 1 user
If they spread the 425 II out evenly across those eight months then theoretically there are still 213ish II's still out there which would be awesome...
Bingo. I don't know if the distribution is perfect, but they have full interview groups here, pretty consistently throughout the season. It's too early to be discouraged!

I wouldn't write more than a page. Update them with significant achievements, don't duplicate information from your primary, and be concise. Don't leave out important details, but don't write a novel either; maybe 1-3 sentences about what you did and and why it's important. Imagine how many tawdry letters the committee must have to sift through to find the ones with substance...

EDIT: I mean 1-3 sentences for each new thing, not total. Format it as a full, professional letter!

Bingo. I don't know if the distribution is perfect, but they have full interview groups here, pretty consistently throughout the season. It's too early to be discouraged!

What do you mean by "full interview groups"?

Last edited:
What do you mean by "full interview groups"?
I mean they have roughly the same number of interviewees in each group. In other words, they don't run out of slots and interview smaller groups toward the end of the season.

I mean they have roughly the same number of interviewees in each group. In other words, they don't run out of slots and interview smaller groups toward the end of the season.

Thanks! Still holding out hope!

I've been EFI since early September :unsure:. Anyone else been waiting that long?

Reactions: 5 users
just got the acceptance call! :D :) really thought i was gonna be waitlisted. shocked :D

You could ask @REL to alleviate some of those concerns. Couldn't hurt. UCF has been the most transparent of any school I've interacted with regarding their admissions process.
So your math is pretty good in that we have interviewed about 215 already. We also have another 110 +/- scheduled for interviews. I do anticipate interviewing about 425 applicants this year, similar to the last three years.

Say you don't answer the call because you're busy will they leave a message saying you got an interview?

So your math is pretty good in that we have interviewed about 215 already. We also have another 110 +/- scheduled for interviews. I do anticipate interviewing about 425 applicants this year, similar to the last three years.

Thanks for the update! Any idea when the next round of II will go out?

@REL, I have a specific question. I will be in the area around Dec 16, and have made that known to the Office of Admissions. If I haven't heard yet about an II, since it is within 3 weeks now, should I assume that I will not be receiving one for that time? Or at all?

Last edited:
Really surprised to get waitlisted today, I thought that my interview had gone really well. IS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Say you don't answer the call because you're busy will they leave a message saying you got an interview?
No, they'll move down the list and offer your invitation to the next applicant.

Just kidding! They'll leave a message asking you to call them back.

Congratulations to everyone who received acceptances today! If you were waitlisted, depending on where you are on the list, it's far from certain that you won't eventually be offered a seat in the next class.

Also, do we need to email admissions after submitting an update or do they see those automatically? I've seen REL say that admissions "may" see it, so I didn't know how to interpret that...

@REL My interview was originally on October 7. Due to the hurricane, my interview was rescheduled to November for the safety of both interviewers and interviewees. I understand that the acceptances work like Rolling Admissions, where you would have an increased chance of acceptance if you interviewed early as their is less competition. I was wondering if having my interview moved back to November had hurt my chances for acceptance.

It wouldn't matter from what I understand because I believe all applicants are "ranked" on the same spreadsheet post-interview and the names at the top of the list are accepted on each acceptance day. Don't mark my words but I'm fairly sure that's how they described it at interview day. And if that's the case, your interview date wouldn't really matter.

Does UCF do silent rejections? If not, then can significant updates help our app to get an II?

Does UCF do silent rejections? If not, then can significant updates help our app to get an II?

No you will know your status from UCF either via your dashboard, or in the case of rejections or offers of rejection by a more personal communications method. There are roughly 1.500 who know we do not do silent rejections.

Yes an update can help, especially if it addresses the bolstering in what may be a weakness in an application.

No you will know your status from UCF either via your dashboard, or in the case of rejections or offers of rejection by a more personal communications method. There are roughly 1.500 who know we do not do silent rejections.

Yes an update can help, especially if it addresses the bolstering in what may be a weakness in an application.

How quickly do we find out if we are rejected? I understand many schools wait until the end of the cycle to let all remaining applicants know. Is this a process that is continually occurring?

I submitted my secondary here about a month and a half ago, underwent review by "3 reviewers", got the EFI status. However, last week I got an e-mail that I am under review again by 3 reviewers to determine if I am EFI or not competitive. Is this normal?