You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For some reason I thought this was the Michigan thread not Pritzker haha. Which day are you going to interview?
Congrats on the II! For the benefit of the rest of us, when were you complete with essays + recs + $$$? Just trying to gauge the turnaround time as it was ~3 days at some point earlier in this thread
NA
Last edited:
For some reason I thought this was the Michigan thread not Pritzker haha. Which day are you going to interview?
No problem haha I was given August 23rd and 25th as options but I haven't decided yet!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
-
Last edited:
W
Whatislyfe
MSTP II YESSSSSSS
Last edited by a moderator:
No problem haha I was given August 23rd and 25th as options but I haven't decided yet!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Darn it haha I was on the 22! Missed you by a couple days!
Stupid question - would it be super obvious if we are put on hold?
My Application Status still says "Your completed application has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review. We look forward to learning about you and your accomplishments." Will this change if they put me on hold?
I feel like most people have gotten some sort of response already...
My Application Status still says "Your completed application has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review. We look forward to learning about you and your accomplishments." Will this change if they put me on hold?
I feel like most people have gotten some sort of response already...
W
Whatislyfe
Stupid question - would it be super obvious if we are put on hold?
My Application Status still says "Your completed application has been sent to the Committee on Admissions for review. We look forward to learning about you and your accomplishments." Will this change if they put me on hold?
I feel like most people have gotten some sort of response already...
That is not on hold, that box will say "Held for later review" if you are on hold
Why haven't they downloaded my recommendation letter from AMCAS when every other school I've applied to has?
They do everything manually. I submitted my app 7/10, was marked as it being complete 7/11, and just today my recs were marked as submitted (so now I'm actually complete?). Temple's taking forever too.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was really hoping for some word from chicago this week (secondary submitted 7/6 - i know it's way too early to be anxious) but nothing still! not on hold either. have they been sending any ii's out over the weekends?
I recall being surprised at someone getting an II this last Sunday. I am also waiting to hear back 🙁 I submitted like a day or two after you.I was really hoping for some word from chicago this week (secondary submitted 7/6 - i know it's way too early to be anxious) but nothing still! not on hold either. have they been sending any ii's out over the weekends?
Quick question, should I be worried if the Recs box still isn't colored? I just submitted by secondary but submitted all my letters last week, and my other schools have received them.
I submitted on monday and they checked the recs box just yesterday - guess it takes time..Quick question, should I be worried if the Recs box still isn't colored? I just submitted by secondary but submitted all my letters last week, and my other schools have received them.
II! Complete 7/8
II! complete 7/5
This is a question for everyone, but particularly the guys that received II. What did you guys write your diversity essays on?
W
Whatislyfe
This is a question for everyone, but particularly the guys that received II. What did you guys write your diversity essays on?
I've lived abroad my entire life and grew up really poor and am not caucasian (but still considered "white"). So that.
This is a question for everyone, but particularly the guys that received II. What did you guys write your diversity essays on?
Talked about my experiences with groups different from myself and how that gave me a productive attitude towards diversity, which will help me contribute to the educational environment at medical school
Talked about my experiences with groups different from myself and how that gave me a productive attitude towards diversity, which will help me contribute to the educational environment at medical school
I was planning to write something similar but I wasn't sure if it would necessarily be what they are looking for, guess I'll go for it
I was planning to write something similar but I wasn't sure if it would necessarily be what they are looking for, guess I'll go for it
Mine was similar to that as well and I got an II two days after submitting so I'm sure they don't have a problem with it
Does everyones app get put in either the II or "on hold" category? Or do they leave some people in the "under review" limbo forever lol
I'd suspect it goes into either ii or hold ... because hold is pretty much under review limbo lolDoes everyones app get put in either the II or "on hold" category? Or do they leave some people in the "under review" limbo forever lol
W
Whatislyfe
Does everyones app get put in either the II or "on hold" category? Or do they leave some people in the "under review" limbo forever lol
I was "on Hold" and then was give an II like 5 days later. Although I am MD/PhD so it may be different.
I've also heard them rejecting people.
For the second essay question it says to identify the coping skills we used.... how do we do that?
I'm searching for a list of coping skills right now.... but it's all things like build confidence and go exercise
I'm searching for a list of coping skills right now.... but it's all things like build confidence and go exercise
I thought the MCAT tested on this.For the second essay question it says to identify the coping skills we used.... how do we do that?
I'm searching for a list of coping skills right now.... but it's all things like build confidence and go exercise
Positive coping skills usually include humour and social support.
'I have an example of social support in there, but the other part of the question says to state who you went to for support so I don't want to do that twice.I thought the MCAT tested on this.
Positive coping skills usually include humour and social support.
Is introspection a coping skill?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
'I have an example of social support in there, but the other part of the question says to state who you went to for support so I don't want to do that twice.
Is introspection a coping skill?
Specific to my conflict, I needed patience, time, and family support to help me overcome it so I talked about that.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For the second question. I wrote an essay on moving to another city and the difficulties I encountered with that. I think my anecdotes, support people, and coping skills are pretty spot on, but not sure if that example of a difficult life situation is interesting enough? Do y'all have any thoughts?
For the second question. I wrote an essay on moving to another city and the difficulties I encountered with that. I think my anecdotes, support people, and coping skills are pretty spot on, but not sure if that example of a difficult life situation is interesting enough? Do y'all have any thoughts?
It might be if your anecdotes are interesting enough. I wrote about being evacuated from a war zone and finding the courage to go back to the country so I used a lot of imagery to set a scene. Maybe that would help with your essay?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
don't worry about interesting. the vast majority of med students are just normal people who are smart and want to be doctors. in any case, do you really think you can be interesting to the admissions office after theyve read literally thousands and thousands of applications over the years? just write about what you experienced and what you learned in the most genuine way you can.For the second question. I wrote an essay on moving to another city and the difficulties I encountered with that. I think my anecdotes, support people, and coping skills are pretty spot on, but not sure if that example of a difficult life situation is interesting enough? Do y'all have any thoughts?
Been over a week since my secondary was submitted and the REC box hasn't changed- normal, I know, but I'm going loopy 😕
Got my interview invite on 7/11!
Received my secondary invite ~1 week after completing AMCAS, submitted secondary in ~1 week, interview invite ~1 week after that. LizzyM score 77-78
Those of you who also have IIs, have you gotten any from other schools yet? I'm wondering if anyone else will be as quick...
Received my secondary invite ~1 week after completing AMCAS, submitted secondary in ~1 week, interview invite ~1 week after that. LizzyM score 77-78Those of you who also have IIs, have you gotten any from other schools yet? I'm wondering if anyone else will be as quick...
Got my interview invite on 7/11!Received my secondary invite ~1 week after completing AMCAS, submitted secondary in ~1 week, interview invite ~1 week after that. LizzyM score 77-78
Those of you who also have IIs, have you gotten any from other schools yet? I'm wondering if anyone else will be as quick...
This was my first one! I think UMich is sending some out already but I haven't gotten anything yet
W
Whatislyfe
Congrats all!! I completed mine in late June but because I was MSTP I think they put me on hold till last week and I got an II on Thurs. So for all other MD/PhDs they JUST started looking at us!!
I've been complete since ~July 5th and still have not had any change in status. Just gonna assume I'm on hold at this point...
II! Complete 6/30, heard nothing until right now. People who're still waiting to hear anything, all hope isn't lost!
Still waiting on my committee letter to come in
I feel like there are going to be no II's once it comes in [emoji37]
Come on committee!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Is it nice or weird to reply to the II email with a thank you? Haha I don't know what the protocol here is
Still waiting on my committee letter to come in
I feel like there are going to be no II's once it comes in [emoji37]
Come on committee!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
In the same boat as ya. 🙁 Patiently twiddling my thumbs
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
7
702599
Secondary complete 7/9. Just received my first II today (7/19) from Pritzker. It's still early everyone, keep your spirits up!!!
On a different note anyone else working full-time while doing secondaries? I've been cutting it near the 2 week stamp with nearly each one.
Edit: LizzyM score 74-75.
On a different note anyone else working full-time while doing secondaries? I've been cutting it near the 2 week stamp with nearly each one.
Edit: LizzyM score 74-75.
Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary complete 7/9. Just received my first II today (7/19) from Pritzker. It's still early everyone, keep your spirits up!!!
On a different note anyone else working full-time while doing secondaries? I've been cutting it near the 2 week stamp with nearly each one.
Congratulations!! And I'm working full time and definitely either pushing or going slightly over 2 weeks. :/ What can ya do.
Secondary complete 7/9. Just received my first II today (7/19) from Pritzker. It's still early everyone, keep your spirits up!!!
On a different note anyone else working full-time while doing secondaries? I've been cutting it near the 2 week stamp with nearly each one.
Congrats! And same, secondary writing is less than appealing after working in a lab all day. There's technically some downtime between steps in each protocol, but stop-and-go writing is not productive. It's still pretty early in the cycle though so I don't think anybody should be stressing out yet!
.
Last edited:
7
702599
Right?! I've also been a really shoddy friend lately because if I'm not working, I'm writing.Congratulations!! And I'm working full time and definitely either pushing or going slightly over 2 weeks. :/ What can ya do.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K