2016-2017 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected, LizzyM 77, gg boys

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take this with a grain of salt, but I've done some research on what being on hold means (because I got put on it!) in my down time and a summary of SDN wisdom, medical school admissions websites, and some other places has lead me to this:

If you are put on hold, someone has reviewed your application at least to some extent, and thinks that you are a strong applicant in many ways, but might not be a good fit for THAT school. They will wait for some amount of time, up to a few months, to review your application again when they can compare it to a larger applicant pool. That said, it seems that if you are put on hold at a school that is your top choice, a genuine letter of intent and update letter can probably help significantly in getting you from pre-interview hold to the interview list.

Alternatively, at least one admissions staff I called said something along the lines of: you may be put on hold if they have reviewed your application and feel the need to do a more in depth review before extending an interview invite.

It seems to differ by school, in that some schools pull many more applicants from the hold list than others.

With that said, being on hold is definitely much better than straight rejection in most cases, with what seems like a fair percent chance to get pulled off the hold list and given an interview if you really show how passionate you are about the given school.

That's all I got for now - so hope it helps! Being on hold is probably some combination of the above with maybe an added bit of "well, we might not really want you as much as some other applicants". Hopefully you'll just get the interview right off the bat though - goodluck friend!
Hey,

Thanks so much for this. Very helpful!

Thank you for this. Pritzker is one of my top choices, if not my very top choice. I am on hold but think it may be too soon to send them an update/letter of intent. When is the time frame for this, would you say?

To be honest - I'm not completely sure. If it was me, and I was super interested as in "if accepted I will 100% attend" interested, then I would probably send a letter of intent ASAP. I'm not going to to do this to UChicago because if I got accepted here and got accepted at one of my 2 top choices I would not attend here - so that would be a bit dishonest. However, I'm still very interested in UChicago so will definitely be updating them when I have done some more noteworthy things and might even send a quick email to them letting them know I am very interested in Pritzker.

If I end up getting put on hold at my top choice school this is what I probably will do - hopefully I get an interview there though! But, before you do anything, I would just give their admissions office a call. They were very nice when I talked to them and helped answer a bunch of my questions - and I'm sure they could flesh out some answers for you better than I can.

Random, but did the people who were placed on hold get an email that you were on hold? Or did you just check your status on the portal?

Just portal update - I checked once a day after getting home from work.

Last edited:
My LOR were uploaded to AMCAS on the 19th (9 days ago) and Pritzker is the only school to say they've not received them. Did it take anyone elses this long? Should I call?

My LOR were uploaded to AMCAS on the 19th (9 days ago) and Pritzker is the only school to say they've not received them. Did it take anyone elses this long? Should I call?

I called already. They said they received mine, and they'll automatically download when I'm being reviewed? Mine were sent on the 20th

It still says on my portal that they don't have them though...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I called already. They said they received mine, and they'll automatically download when I'm being reviewed? Mine were sent on the 20th

It still says on my portal that they don't have them though...

thank you! this was helpful

II just now! Though honestly a little worried it's a courtesy interview because my dad works there and my LizzyM is only a 74 (37/3.7)...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! Though honestly a little worried it's a courtesy interview because my dad works there and my LizzyM is only a 74 (37/3.7)...
Those are awesome stats!!! If you got an interview, you've got an interview. No point in trying to dissect it, just do your best :)

My recs came in at the same time. Were your recs marked complete on the portal recently?

Marked complete 7/24 I think? I did email them first about them before they were finally recieved.

Hoping I'll be marked complete soon
This is driving me crazy

Reactions: 1 user
Been 25 days since secondary completed. No hold. No nothing.

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected last week after being complete for forever.

First rejection but at least I got a few other IIs first. It still hurt though because I so wanted the chance to interview here.

I've got to say, I really am surprised I wasn't at least put on hold first. I thought I'd be a good fit and my numbers matched up but apparently they thought otherwise :(

Either way, I'm glad that if they knew they were going to reject me that they did it right away. I really appreciate not being strung along.

Been 25 days since secondary completed. No hold. No nothing.

Oh good, I'm not alone. Check the portal like 15 times a day expecting to see it on hold but nope, still being reviewed. Assuming that's a good thing? I have no idea.

Reactions: 1 user
It's been almost two weeks since my letters were submitted, but it still says they aren't received on the portal. Did everyone's take this long?

Just put on hold sometime since last Friday too. :( sadness.

It's been almost two weeks since my letters were submitted, but it still says they aren't received on the portal. Did everyone's take this long?

I submitted my letters yesterday and they're already marked received...have you already contacted them to ask about your letters directly?

I submitted my letters yesterday and they're already marked received...have you already contacted them to ask about your letters directly?

Ugh it's been almost two weeks for me
I called last week, and they said they had it but my portal never changed? I'm going to call again today.

If you look back through the thread, yes, for some reason, some have waited several weeks before the letter indicator lit for them.

Called anyways just to be sure. They said they're currently uploading recs from mid July. They also said that even if my portal shows I'm incomplete, I'm still in line to be reviewed since they received my letter. It's just not visible on my end I guess.

Congrats to all the people getting II!!! My app has been sitting complete for about two weeks....Still says under review, more waiting I guess.

This probably has been addressed but I can't find it anywhere. How doe Pritzker prefer to recieve application updates? Email? If so, what email? Also, does there need to be some kind of pdf attached? Thank you!!!!

Recs were finally marked as complete!! Time to wait in agony
Congrats to all the II's!

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Do you receive an e-mail if the status changes to hold?

II this morning at 9:30AM PST!

Secondary received 06/27, submitted on 07/16, complete a few days after with downloaded letters.
LizzyM ~ 79, OOS.

Third II so far. Four dates are available, all in September.

Reactions: 6 users
II this morning at 9:30AM PST!

Secondary received 06/27, submitted on 07/16, complete a few days after with downloaded letters.
LizzyM ~ 79, OOS.

Third II so far. Four dates are available, all in September.
Ugh completed the 11th and nothing
Congrats

Probably been answered before, but is uchicago rolling?

Probably been answered before, but is uchicago rolling?
Yes but it's rolling in the sense that they send out decisions at 3 points in the application cycle - Oct. 17, mid-December, and mid-March. So, it's not a true rolling admissions paradigm (in which they'd send you a decision at any time and you'd have no idea when to expect it). I think it was like that a few years ago, but now they've switched to the current model to reduce stress on people - or at least it's supposed to :p

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if Pritzker has an MCAT subsection cutoff?