2016-2017 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe this last cycle over 100 applied ED, about 60 were selected for interviews, and 40 were accepted. Plus every year, of the group that is not accepted initially, about half manage to get a seat after either re-interviewing or being placed on hold.
So yeah, the early decision odds seem good on paper, but it's partially because KU is aware we are kind of destroying our odds anywhere else by waiting all the way until mid-October to submit to other schools.

Edit: I posted my stats and then I wondered if it was a very good idea. One might be more identifiable that way. Which is fine, I just think I should be more careful.

I see you posted your GPA previously in this thread so you've already given enough to narrow down who you are ahhhh haha. But as long as you don't say anything mean, I don't think anyone is going to go out of their way to investigate you:cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not Early Decision but I don't think it necessarily means your conceited. I think conversations like this can always lead to either camraderie or trying to one up each other. Here's to the former!

Certainly, I just phrased it poorly, so I thought I'd apologize. I meant "self-selective" in that people are often discouraged from applying EDP unless they are somewhat confident that they'll get in, since it places you at a disadvantage of applying late to other schools. But I didn't mean to imply that I think I'm a better applicant because I'm EDP :) I'm quite mediocre in fact haha

Reactions: 1 user
True!

I got a 517 MCAT. But I wish I had more volunteering! Anyway, I am in-state and would love to stay in Kansas.

Holy smokes! Nice job. I'm also in-state and hoping to stay. Good luck!

Can anyone tell me character limits on the secondary responses? I looked for someone above me to mention it and I haven't seen it.

And now we enter the 3 week waiting period between submitting secondaries and getting an II :nailbiting:

Someone wake me up at the end of August.

Hey hey just relax. It only gets more thrilling from here.

Is it 1000 characters or 1000 words? 1000 characters is a tiny amount.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the wait killing you? I know the Early Decision people will be getting news in the next few weeks right?

Yeah, they say they "strive to extend interview invitations by August 31" but it's not guaranteed until the first week of September. I don't know why I'm already getting nervous!

Relax. It's all part of the process. They get thousands of apps each year and each one has a folder.

Relax. It's all part of the process. They get thousands of apps each year and each one has a folder.

I know, it's not my first rodeo. I'd say it's okay to be excited though, no?

I didn't get an EDP spot, but I got a follow up email to schedule an interview in October in 2 weeks, did you guys get that as well?

I didn't get an EDP spot, but I got a follow up email to schedule an interview in October in 2 weeks, did you guys get that as well?

Yep, not offered an EDP interview, but will be offered a regular decision interview in October. Fingers crossed.

It looks like last year a few people who interviewed in October were accepted in November, so we don't necessarily all have to wait until March of '17 now. Hoping there's still a chance!

So on the Supplemental website it says my application is complete. I submitted a committee letter, and in that letter it has the comments and recommendation of each letter writer. Is that all I need, since I technically am complete, or do the faculty letter writers need to also submit their letters? Anyone else run into this problem and have insight?

do you mind sharing your stats
No problem, here's my general info:
White male, in-state applicant, 3.62 GPA, 508 MCAT, no research experience, but solid extracurriculars, clinical experience, and letters.

Secondary submitted about a week ago. Hopefully they show a little border state love this year.

Hi all. For the question " Describe how you relate to someone who is very different from you. Examples of differences may be cultural, racial, religious, economic, gender/sexual orientation, lifestyle." Did everyone interpret this as a question about a specific person? Or could it be asking how I relate to someone different from me in general, as in, whenever I meet someone different? Thanks

Hi all. For the question " Describe how you relate to someone who is very different from you. Examples of differences may be cultural, racial, religious, economic, gender/sexual orientation, lifestyle." Did everyone interpret this as a question about a specific person? Or could it be asking how I relate to someone different from me in general, as in, whenever I meet someone different? Thanks

I responded with an anecdote about a specific person, that's just how I read it.

No problem, here's my general info:
White male, in-state applicant, 3.62 GPA, 508 MCAT, no research experience, but solid extracurriculars, clinical experience, and letters.

Were you ED or regular? If regular, when were you complete? Thanks!

Were you ED or regular? If regular, when were you complete? Thanks!

The September interviews are for EDP applicants only, if that answers your question.

October interview invitations for regular decision (at least for EDP applicants who were bumped) are supposed to be sent out this week.

The September interviews are for EDP applicants only, if that answers your question.

October interview invitations for regular decision (at least for EDP applicants who were bumped) are supposed to be sent out this week.

Perfectly answers it - forgot they had all of their dates online, I even commented about it a few weeks ago lol. Doh!!

II here too! EDP bumped to RD. LizzyM is ~66.

II for early October.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Regular decision II! Complete 7/19. IS Lizzy 73

drnala15 we have the same LizzyM although you submitted way earlier and to 16 more schools but still. 9 II is amazing. Show me your ways!!!

drnala15 we have the same LizzyM although you submitted way earlier and to 16 more schools but still. 9 II is amazing. Show me your ways!!!
Haha thank you! I'm honestly surprised... Not sure what I did, but I will take it! I'm sure there are many more to come for you :)

II today. Complete early August. IS, LizzyM ~70. Congrats to everyone who got IIs, and maybe I'll see you in October!

How did the interviews go for those who went this week?

II today. Complete early August. IS, LizzyM ~70. Congrats to everyone who got IIs, and maybe I'll see you in October!

Are you a resident or are you applying with Kansas ties? For everyone else in this forum, are they prioritizing interview invites based on if you're a resident vs a tie? I lived in Kansas for 16 years and finished high school there and went to my first college courses there as well. However, I joined the military and have been all over the country and now reside in Missouri. Do I have just as much of a chance as a Kansas resident if all else is equal? Appreciate your time!

Are you a resident or are you applying with Kansas ties? For everyone else in this forum, are they prioritizing interview invites based on if you're a resident vs a tie? I lived in Kansas for 16 years and finished high school there and went to my first college courses there as well. However, I joined the military and have been all over the country and now reside in Missouri. Do I have just as much of a chance as a Kansas resident if all else is equal? Appreciate your time!

From what I understand, you have a much better chance than other OOS students if you have a Kansas tie. You are more likely to get an interview. However, I think most OOS interviews are scheduled in January so you might have to wait to get an interview invitation. The only downside to being OOS even with a KS tie is that you don't get IS tuition. So final analysis, maybe not as good as IS but certainly better than random OOS.

The rule of thumb around here is generally the more KS you have on your resume the better your chances.

I wasn't born here but I did all my post secondary here, and I was invited to interview every time.

KS residents have like a 90% chance of being invited, barring you meet the threshold.

The rule of thumb around here is generally the more KS you have on your resume the better your chances.

I wasn't born here but I did all my post secondary here, and I was invited to interview every time.

KS residents have like a 90% chance of being invited, barring you meet the threshold.
Any idea on what the cut off is this year?