2016-2017 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody remember what was said at the interview about being able to view our overall ranking after being placed on hold?

Does anybody remember what was said at the interview about being able to view our overall ranking after being placed on hold?
As I recall, you only see your place in line once you are waitlisted. Right now, no one is waitlisted; some people are pending.
Once we get to that point, I would imagine that you'll either get instructions or it'll be listed on the secondary application page, but that is just speculation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That is correct. There is no hold ranking because it would change every week.

In March if you are placed on the wait list, the letter with tell you your number. Once the deadline for accepted students to matriculate has passed, the front page of the secondary application will say the next alternate in line is __ . In early August once all the seats are filled they send another letter to let you know they will not be taking any more alternates.

Congrats to those who were accepted! Would you mind sharing your stats so we have an idea what that threshold they mentioned is? I know it takes into account interview scores as well, but just to get a feel.

accepted.. 503 3.9 no research

Accepted-- 514, 4.0, pretty solid EC's and research, IS with a strong tie to the Rosedale Area

Accepted-- 514, 4.0, pretty solid EC's and research, IS with a strong tie to the Rosedale Area

That's exactly what my background looks like, minus the rural tie and add a Masters. Did your interview go well? I hear back Novemver 15.

That's exactly what my background looks like, minus the rural tie and add a Masters. Did your interview go well? I hear back Novemver 15.
Haha I don't have a rural tie-- Rosedale is where KU Med is located. I think the interviews went pretty well, definitely not my best though-- one of them grilled me pretty hard and caught me off guard, but I guess he couldn't tell!

Haha I don't have a rural tie-- Rosedale is where KU Med is located. I think the interviews went pretty well, definitely not my best though-- one of them grilled me pretty hard and caught me off guard, but I guess he couldn't tell!

My apologies, I'm not familiar with the KC area. Congratulations on the KU acceptance! Hopefully I'll join you in a couple of weeks.

My apologies, I'm not familiar with the KC area. Congratulations on the KU acceptance! Hopefully I'll join you in a couple of weeks.
Just figured I'd help you out now in case someone mentions it in the future :) didn't mean to sound like a condescending a**hole!! Not many people are familiar with Kansas! I am absolutely sure you will be joining me! Good luck!!

Did they tell you when you should expect to hear back about acceptance at your interview?

Did they tell you when you should expect to hear back about acceptance at your interview?

At my interview, Oct 5, I was told I would hear back early November but they got back to me much earlier. YMMV.

Members don't see this ad :)
So for OOS residents, we shouldn't expect to hear back until late December/January?

II!!!!! SS 8/26, Complete 8/29, OOS w/ strong ties

I'm starting to get a little concerned. I'm trying to figure out why an IS applicant who meets their minimums who was complete 8/26 hasn't received an II.

I'm starting to get a little concerned. I'm trying to figure out why an IS applicant who meets their minimums who was complete 8/26 hasn't received an II.

This is my first interview, I'd all but given up.

Next week. The committee meets and discusses on Tuesdays, I believe, and they were aiming to have the late October groups done on the night of November 15th and letters out that week.

Interview on Monday. Any helpful tips?

Use experience examples for your first interviewer. They're more experienced and have heard all the answers. Giving them a story unique to you will help you stand out.

Anybody get the December 5th Salina invite? I am praying I do. They have been pretty consistent about sending emails three weeks before the interview dates.

Do you think we will get a letter by the end of the week?
For people who are obsessive as I am: my letter was dated Oct 20th, postmarked the 25rd, received (several states away) the 28th.
Edit: Heh. 25rd. And I'm going to medical school.

Last edited:
Received a rejection in the mail today. Good luck to everyone else!

Anybody get the December 5th Salina invite? I am praying I do. They have been pretty consistent about sending emails three weeks before the interview dates.
I just received an II for 5 Dec in Salina. I'm OOS.

Any advise for Salina interviews?

Last edited:
Post interview?

Yes, DrRedstone interviewed the same week that I did. I'm still waiting to hear back.

Edit: Got my letter of acceptance today in the mail! 514 MCAT, 4.0 (small college), tiny research, 3 years EMS/ER work, and in-state my whole life. Can't wait to hear how everyone else's interviews go. My letter was dated 11/15, postage on 11/16, arrived 11/19 (from KC to Wichita), for those waiting for responses.

Last edited:
Did anyone else who interviewed around 11/15 get a letter yet? It seems really strange to me that DrRedstone and FalconJayhawk heard back so soon.

Did anyone else who interviewed around 11/15 get a letter yet? It seems really strange to me that DrRedstone and FalconJayhawk heard back so soon.

No, they interviewed much earlier than us. Should be around 12/15! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ah, I should have taken a closer look, haha. Good luck to you, as well!

Yep, on my interview day (11/18) Sandy said our group should hear back the 2nd or 3rd week of December, ideally.

Maybe a dumb question...
I normally have a short well trimmed beard. I am interviewing on Monday. Thinking about shaving it for the interview. Did anyone have a beard at the interviews you attended?

Maybe a dumb question...
I normally have a short well trimmed beard. I am interviewing on Monday. Thinking about shaving it for the interview. Did anyone have a beard at the interviews you attended?

Not a dumb question. In fact, some past SDN'ers found it pertinent enough to dedicate entire threads to it. Here is one such: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/facial-hair-during-interviews.1169653/

If you google "SDN beards," you'll find more. Hope this helps!

I am already over the wait. Literally just taking this wait one day at a time

Yeah, this wait sucks. And then if you guys also have nothing but silence from other schools you've applied to. o_O This process is the worst.

Are there any current students that can speak to the Salina and Wichita curriculum? Reading on line indicates that Salina has less than 10 students. Is that correct? How do lectures work for Salina? Is Wichita similar to the main campus from a lecture standpoint? Thx for the insight.

Are there any current students that can speak to the Salina and Wichita curriculum? Reading on line indicates that Salina has less than 10 students. Is that correct? How do lectures work for Salina? Is Wichita similar to the main campus from a lecture standpoint? Thx for the insight.

Not a current student so hopefully someone more informed will chime in, but my understanding (from interview day and having spoken to other students) is that all lectures for M1 and M2 (in the current curriculum) are broadcasted from the KC campus to the other locations. And they confirmed that Salina only has a handful of students (something like 10, can't remember exactly).
Of course, with the new curriculum next year, I think anything on how it is going to work for the next cycle of M1s is purely speculation.

I agree with TheMonarch. They only thing I know is you still do all labs, clinical workshops, and in-person group work on your respective campus.