2016-2017 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
McCurdy spoke to us and there was some granola bars. Does that count?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There was a Welcome reception...?
I suspect that it is for people who self-identify as URM. Atleast other medical schools have held such functions as a way to warm them up to the school first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if the mail is sent first class or not? They said decisions for Dec 5th and 6th would be sent today (January 6th) and I am trying to estimate the days until it might arrive. Yes, I am slightly neurotic.

Haha. We all are and you are not alone. I think it was just normal mail. My envelope had nothing special marked on it.

Anybody know if the mail is sent first class or not? They said decisions for Dec 5th and 6th would be sent today (January 6th) and I am trying to estimate the days until it might arrive. Yes, I am slightly neurotic.

My letter was dated Dec 8th and I received it Dec 12th. I live in the KC area btw.

If anyone is interviewing on tuesday and wants a ride to holiday inn across the street from the medical school I will be flying in tomorrow night at 6:30......Ive already paid for a ride so it would be free. PM if you're interested. I also have paid for a return ride leaving for the airport at 5:30 am on wednesday

Whenever one of us who interviewed on Jan 4-6 gets a decision letter in the mail, can we post to SDN? Getting anxious. 3 week mark is in a couple days.

Members don't see this ad :)
would you mind sharing your extracurriculars and experiences please? Congrats on getting accepted!

Sure!
  • four years working in philanthropy, a year interning for that philanthropic group
  • founder and exec board for an academic student organization
  • four years member of a philanthropic student organization, exec of that org for two years
  • two years peer mentor
  • 100 hrs hospital volunteering
  • 50 hrs shadowing
  • ~500 hrs tutoring elementary kids (lifelong thing)
  • ~2500 hrs research (full time job + undergrad)
  • handful of hours community volunteering
  • a few awards

Whenever one of us who interviewed on Jan 4-6 gets a decision letter in the mail, can we post to SDN? Getting anxious. 3 week mark is in a couple days.
They're behind a little, so it may be a bit.

No, I was at an event last night and that's what they were saying. :)

It's a long wayyyy to March still.

I interviewed on January 26th as an OOS, and I believe that was the last day for interviews. They said decisions would come out the last week of Feb or first week of March if I remember correctly.

Impatience is my virtue :soexcited:

Received the campus preference email this morning. Do they send it to all the people interviewed?

It sounded like people accepted or deferred until March.

Does anyone have experience regarding following-up for students on hold until March? I interviewed back in October and my assumption is the admissions "score" we were given is set in stone. I believe KU only accepts updates for logistical things like campus preference and contact information, so I'm wondering if I should hold off on updating until the next application cycle, assuming I don't get accepted :bigtears:

Does anyone have experience regarding following-up for students on hold until March? I interviewed back in October and my assumption is the admissions "score" we were given is set in stone. I believe KU only accepts updates for logistical things like campus preference and contact information, so I'm wondering if I should hold off on updating until the next application cycle, assuming I don't get accepted :bigtears:

I sent an update letter and basically they said it would be added to my file, but that - to your point - they aren't reconsidering it because after acceptances are offered it will go to the ranked alternate list. So basically you're correct that the score is set in stone. If I have to reapply, there are going to be a few other things I'll update, so I don't think my letter undermined future efforts - if it comes to that - but it also doesn't appear that it will have a beneficial impact on this cycle either.

Last edited:
I sent an update letter and basically they said it would be added to my file, but that - to your point - they aren't reconsidering it because after acceptances are offered it will go to the ranked alternate list. So basically you're correct that the score is set in stone. If I have to reapply, there are going to be a few other things I'll update, so I don't think my letter undermined future efforts - if it comes to that - but it also doesn't appear that it will have a beneficial impact on this cycle either.

Updates we send in now won't be considered even before they form the alternate list?

Updates we send in now won't be considered even before they form the alternate list?

That's my understanding. This is what I received from Blair: "I’ve added these to your file. Although, please be aware that since your file has already been reviewed, these items will not be reviewed again. Once all applicants who have interviewed have been reviewed by the selection committee, we will go by our rank ordered list and send final decisions by mid-March."

I have a couple of questions for those who are current KU students familiar with the Wichita campus:

I know the curriculum is undergoing changes, but I can't remember: are all of the lectures virtual/podcasted, and how is your relationship with faculty? Do you feel like you are supported? Was the Wichita campus your first choice?

Reactions: 1 users
I have a couple of questions for those who are current KU students familiar with the Wichita campus:

I know the curriculum is undergoing changes, but I can't remember: are all of the lectures virtual/podcasted, and how is your relationship with faculty? Do you feel like you are supported? Was the Wichita campus your first choice?

You might have better luck asking this on the class of 2021 facebook page (which so far is like 2/3 class of 2020 students)

Does anybody have a more exact date on when they assign campuses? They said early to mid-march but I didn't know if that was like more likely the 1st or the 19th.

Does anybody have a more exact date on when they assign campuses? They said early to mid-march but I didn't know if that was like more likely the 1st or the 19th.

Ehh will probably be later. They won't assign campus preferences until everybody has been accepted, rejected, or on a wait list. Traditionally, they do not issue the final acceptances until mid-March and they then assign campus locations April 1. If you do not get your first preferences then you'll be put in a list to get placed at your preferred campus and those who are accepted off the wait list will get your spot.

In case you're not getting a reply in the Facebook group... (BTW I'm not on Wichita campus but I'm decently familiar)
The curriculum is undergoing changes but all remaining lectures will follow the same format before of being streamed to all campuses. Typically, KC is where most lectures take place. All lectures are podcasted too. All three campuses have amazing faculty who help coordinate and facilitate small groups and problem based sessions. Finally, the typical trend is that those who request Wichita & Salina for all 4 years will be placed there. Most years there are too many people who want KC all 4 and not enough who want KC 2/Wichita 2. There are pros and cons for all options and one must remember that you are achieving your dream of becoming a doctor.

In case you're not getting a reply in the Facebook group... (BTW I'm not on Wichita campus but I'm decently familiar)
The curriculum is undergoing changes but all remaining lectures will follow the same format before of being streamed to all campuses. Typically, KC is where most lectures take place. All lectures are podcasted too. All three campuses have amazing faculty who help coordinate and facilitate small groups and problem based sessions. Finally, the typical trend is that those who request Wichita & Salina for all 4 years will be placed there. Most years there are too many people who want KC all 4 and not enough who want KC 2/Wichita 2. There are pros and cons for all options and one must remember that you are achieving your dream of becoming a doctor.

Thank you for your response! Honestly, I didn't want to jinx myself by prematurely joining the FB group, even though I know the scores/rankings are what they are (and we just don't know yet) at this point haha.

This wait is literally the worst.

Reactions: 2 users
You think we'll get the decisions next week? Looks like they were finding out the 6th and 7th last year.

I'm glad I am not the only insane one. I checked too. That was my estimate as well.

Looks like some letters are arriving today. Good luck, everyone.

Accepted today! Good luck to everyone else.

New to SDN, just rejected from KU about 30 mins ago. Interviewed in late Jan. Not gonna lie, was expecting a rejection but it still hurts just the same.

That said, I need some advice. I've been trying to research and just can't figure out where to go from here. My GPA and MCAT are both low (3.3c/499) but I have tons of extracurriculars, volunteer, and healthcare experience. I was thinking about doing the KCUMB-COB master's program to boost my numbers, but since I wouldn't start until August and it's an 11 month program, does that mean I can't even apply to enter schools until 2019? That seems so far away. What do people do in these situations? I feel like this is so common but I didn't realize it would be a 2 year wait. SOS.