2016-2017 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received an II for 5 Dec in Salina. I'm OOS.

Congrats! Best of luck in a couple of days. Mind sharing when you went complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Interview was very laid back. Was actually an enjoyable experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the interview in Salina today was awesome. The two interviews is actually a good thing. I came into the day worried that 2 interviews seemed like a long time. But it gave them enough time to actually get to know you. Best of luck everyone! Hoping we get a decision by Christmas!

For those who interviewed week of 11/16 when should decisions be out??? I'm getting super nervous.

Reactions: 1 user
I think pretty soon! Between the 13th-20th is what I wrote down.

Reactions: 2 users
Can we all agree to post as soon as anyone of us gets the news?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Ouch. I bombed my interview last year which wasn't great considering I was average in terms of stats. So I have been there as well.

Good luck to all of you!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
@BigBurd

I bombed the first one. She was the one that was presenting me to the selection committee so that was NOT the one to do terrible in. My blind interview, in my second interview, went averagely. Overall, in my post cycle feedback I was told that I needed a better interview. I feel like I fixed it this cycle but we shall see.

@BigBurd

I bombed the first one. She was the one that was presenting me to the selection committee so that was NOT the one to do terrible in. My blind interview, in my second interview, went averagely. Overall, in my post cycle feedback I was told that I needed a better interview. I feel like I fixed it this cycle but we shall see.
Well, I hope you get good news. I'm not going to get my hopes up though.

Killing me too. Especially because I think I bombed one of the interviews.

I'm in the same boat. Rocked my first interview, felt pretty bad about the second interview. I'm hoping my stats make up for the second interview + the selection committee person not hating me.

Check your mailboxes!! Interviewed on 11/15, and just got an acceptance letter! Rock Chalk!

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted early decision. I thought my first interview went average and then was really concerned about the second interview because I could not get a feel for my interviewers at all. They asked me a question that lead into me talking about my immigrant parents that ended with me crying so I definitely did not think I was going to get in!! Moral of the story: have faith!

Praying that they also magically got to 11/16 too. Come on, last 30 minutes of work...

Congrats!

Last edited:
Accepted from 11/16! 3.5/514
So excited to meet you all!

Reactions: 5 users
Can I be really specific and ask if the acceptance letter comes as an actual letter or as a packet in the mail??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can I be really specific and ask if the acceptance letter comes as an actual letter or as a packet in the mail??

For me, there were 5 sheets of paper in a standard envelope. An acceptance letter and two forms with duplicates.

Deferred until March letter received today. Bummed because impatience, but thankful that I wasn't rejected. Interviewed on 11/18 - praying for the best! Congrats to those accepted already!

I assume you all live around the KC area? For I have not received mine yet.

Deferred until March letter received today. Bummed because impatience, but thankful that I wasn't rejected. Interviewed on 11/18 - praying for the best! Congrats to those accepted already!
Can I ask your stats?

Also deferred until March, Better than being rejected like last year. So progress.

Do they accept the majority of their class from the March pool?

I have seen a few friends in the "Deferred to March" category get accepted in March but that was N=3 so I don't know for certain

Do they accept the majority of their class from the March pool?

That was my question also.....

I have seen a few friends in the "Deferred to March" category get accepted in March but that was N=3 so I don't know for certain

From what I remember from interview day, Sandy said that exactly--roughly 10% will be accepted right off the bat, some will be rejected outright, and the vast majority will be put on hold until March.

Well with the next round of interviews scheduled for Jan 4-6th, maybe they will be able to cover both the Nov. 28-29th and Dec 5th interview dates before then to send out first-round decisions. I guess that means that maybe Dec. 5th people will hear by January 7-10th if you include mailing time. Any other speculations?

Just got an II for January! OOS with ties to Kansas City. So pumped

What type of interviews they have at KU? I know there are two interviews, are they both traditional?

What type of interviews they have at KU? I know there are two interviews, are they both traditional?

Both traditional. One with someone one the selection committee, the other with 1-2 other people who just submit a report about the interview. 30 minutes each. Very conversational. My 2 cents: Be prepared to talk about why a Kansas school should invest time and money in someone from out of state.

Both traditional. One with someone one the selection committee, the other with 1-2 other people who just submit a report about the interview. 30 minutes each. Very conversational. My 2 cents: Be prepared to talk about why a Kansas school should invest time and money in someone from out of state.
Thanks for your tip. This is very helpful

Withdrew my interview/application from here just now. Best of luck to everyone!

People who interviewed, did you also attend the Welcome reception? Did any of the faculty or staff attend the reception or only students?

People who interviewed, did you also attend the Welcome reception? Did any of the faculty or staff attend the reception or only students?

There was a Welcome reception...?