2016-2017 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well now they've definitely got my attention. A 14" or bigger laptop, purchased after august 2016 with at least 8 gb ram, 500gb hard drive and minimum core i5? Wtf? That pretty much rules out the Surfaces, the 13" MBP, the regular macbook, most ultrabooks, and oh, not to mention every pre-August laptop ever purchased. I don't want to buy a big, clunky machine to lug around campus.

Seriously! My 13" 2013 MBP runs like I just bought it yesterday and is the perfect size. I just bought an iPad to complement my laptop and now have to consider returning it to save up for this ridiculous requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well now they've definitely got my attention. A 14" or bigger laptop, purchased after august 2016 with at least 8 gb ram and minimum core i5? Wtf? That pretty much rules out the Surfaces, the 13" MBP, the regular macbook, and most ultrabooks. I don't want to buy a big, clunky machine to lug around campus.

I mean, I honestly don't understand why they are requiring all this stuff. Do NBME and ExamSoft really need all that stuff??

To add on to this... I cannot afford to buy a new computer so.....

When I emailed, they said they would increase the COA if you provide them with a receipt for the computer, so you can use loans. Which still isn't all that great

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the grading system here? It doesnt say on MSAR?

Also, from msar it looks like this school really likes high mcat/low gpa...is that right?

Also, from msar it looks like this school really likes high mcat/low gpa...is that right?

first 2 years is "fail, pass, PC, Honors" which is totally different from D C B A

And Yes. I'm an OoS Core student with high MCAT low GPA and there quiet a few of us in the class

Pass/Fail with different tiers for passing. So basically the same as a letter system haha. Also I doubt anyone on this thread has enough information to answer your question regarding the high mcat/low gpa...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone gotten their privacy screen yet? Any good brands out there?

Also kind of wish USF would let us just tape together some folders/cardboard to act as blinders like in elementary school to save natural resources and money haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten their privacy screen yet? Any good brands out there?

Also kind of wish USF would let us just tape together some folders/cardboard to act as blinders like in elementary school to save natural resources and money haha

Lol. I'm still trying to figure which laptop to buy. The 14" display requirement throws out a lot of popular options.

Lol. I'm still trying to figure which laptop to buy. The 14" display requirement throws out a lot of popular options.
How serious do you think they are about the 14" requirement? My computer fits all the requirements except it's 13". Also I already bought my privacy screen for this computer. :bang:

How serious do you think they are about the 14" requirement? My computer fits all the requirements except it's 13". Also I already bought my privacy screen for this computer. :bang:

They sent an email out a couple days ago that said "If you believe that you are bringing less than what is required, it would not be permissible". So I'd guess they wouldn't allow it.

What's up with USF?! That laptop requirement is RIDICULOUS!!! I've heard UCF gives all their students a new laptop and iPad to keep!
They're trippin!

Also yes usf loves MCAT. I've made a long rant about this before.

I've resolved to go ahead and find the cheapest-possible POS burner laptop to use for exams. I suggest looking at the Dell Latitude E64xx series, or the HP 15z series. $250-$350. Student discounts, 4th of july / back to school sales, and buying refurbished should help keep the price down as well.

Last edited:
I've resolved to go ahead and get the shiny new Surface that I've been wanting to get, and find the cheapest-possible POS burner laptop to use for exams. I suggest looking at the Dell Latitude E64xx series, or the HP 15z series. $250-$350. Student discounts, 4th of july / back to school sales, and buying refurbished should help keep the price down as well.

If you find a good deal can you let me know, pleeeeasseee. I may go the same route as you.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If you find a good deal can you let me know, pleeeeasseee. I may go the same route as you.

I think I saw an ad today for an Acer laptop at Bestbuy for 350 that would have fulfilled all of the requirements. Alternatively, if you're willing to wait a little bit until all the sales start, you could try the lenovo outlet website. I was able to get a maxed out laptop for around 600 dollars last year, so that might work too.

What's up with USF?! That laptop requirement is RIDICULOUS!!! I've heard UCF gives all their students a new laptop and iPad to keep!
They're trippin!

Also yes usf loves MCAT. I've made a long rant about this before.
Wait is that bit about UCF true? Damn shoulda applied there LOL

Can anyone verify the UCF info about getting free laptops and ipads to keep? Never heard of medical school doing that.

Wait is that bit about UCF true? Damn shoulda applied there LOL

Can anyone verify the UCF info about getting free laptops and ipads to keep? Never heard of medical school doing that.

YES this is true! Check the screenshot. I also got accepted there, though not attending, and the students/faculty mentioned it.
Also their tuition is much cheaper so if it's coming from a "technology fee" or wherever it doesn't matter since there tuition is still much less. Idc one way or another, I just think what USF is doing is ridiculous.

IMG_5219.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
College of Medicine – Laptops

Looks like they do get a laptop but they pay for it from their "technology fee".

I think FIU does something similar, but with IPads instead of laptops.
YES this is true! Check the screenshot. I also got accepted there, though not attending, and the students/faculty mentioned it.

Also their tuition is much cheaper so if it's coming from a "technology fee" or wherever it doesn't matter since there tuition is still much less. Idc one way or another, I just think what USF is doing is ridiculous.

View attachment 220596

Thanks so much for the follow up!

yo does anyone know about the three other things we were supposed to do for the prematriculation requirements? We were supposed to get three emails. Did those already come out? I wanna get that stuff done before I go on vacation lol

When I emailed, they said they would increase the COA if you provide them with a receipt for the computer, so you can use loans. Which still isn't all that great
Hey, did they specify whether we should send an email of the receipt or what?

Someone at USF is very, very enthusiastic about these "new start & stop times". I lost track of how many emails I've gotten about this over the last few months.

Reactions: 2 users
Someone at USF is very, very enthusiastic about these "new start & stop times". I lost track of how many emails I've gotten about this over the last few months.

Hey, what emails are you referring to? I don't think I've received anything about start and stop times and not sure what it means!

Hey, what emails are you referring to? I don't think I've received anything about start and stop times and not sure what it means!

It's nothing significant, just some emails from some USF grad services listserv. Back in May, all grad programs started using the same times for class periods. It's a very exciting time to be alive.

Reactions: 2 users
Got all my vaccines, blood tests, and physical exam squared away but am having issues with getting the forms back from my primary care practitioner (I'm guessing they've been swamped with patients and paperwork so they haven't had time to finish it). I've been calling and emailing a lot to try to get them back but idk really what's happening in the office.

Y'all know if there are any penalties for getting my communicable diseases and physical exam forms in late? I'm hoping to at least get my forms by the end of Monday but honestly idk when they'll get back to me about it.

Last edited:
Hi guys! For people freaking out about the tech specifications, if you read closely the welcome letter says (for a Macbook Pro) that you need to have a "14” display OR a display running 1366 X 768 resolution or higher." I have a 13" MBP Retina that was manufactured in early 2015 and i contacted tech and they said that was perfectly fine. Their main reason for having the display size requirement is because they were worried about resolution. My resolution is 2560 x 1600 so it meets the requirement. Hope this helps since I also freaked out about the tech requirement!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! For people freaking out about the tech specifications, if you read closely the welcome letter says (for a Macbook Pro) that you need to have a "14” display OR higher display running 1366 X 768 resolution or higher." I have a 13" MBP Retina that was manufactured in early 2015 and i contacted tech and they said that was perfectly fine. My resolution is 2560 x 1600 so it meets the requirement. Hope this helps since I also freaked out about the tech requirement!

You're a life saver! Even though it was a 2015 model they said it was ok?

Can you send me the number for the tech department? Thanks!

Got all my vaccines, blood tests, and physical exam squared away but am having issues with getting the forms back from my primary care practitioner (I'm guessing they've been swamped with patients and paperwork so they haven't had time to finish it). I've been calling and emailing a lot to try to get them back but idk really what's happening in the office.

Y'all know if there are any penalties for getting my communicable diseases and physical exam forms in late? I'm hoping to at least get my forms by the end of Monday but honestly idk when they'll get back to me about it.
I called and it's just a hold on class registrations until they get it. At least you got everything squared away ... I didn't know it was due by the 1st and my physical isn't until the 18th ... -___- my fault though...... lol

I called and it's just a hold on class registrations until they get it. At least you got everything squared away ... I didn't know it was due by the 1st and my physical isn't until the 18th ... -___- my fault though...... lol
The most time consuming part was getting my Hep B stuff squared away. Apparently the vaccines I got when I was a baby were BS because I had very few antibodies when they did the blood test.

Had to get a booster shot and wait a month to get tested again.

Woah we still register for classes in med school? I thought we all took the same classes?

When does registration start?

You're a life saver! Even though it was a 2015 model they said it was ok?

Can you send me the number for the tech department? Thanks!

I actually used the online chat feature. Just searched USF Health IS and clicked the first link. And yep, I specifically asked the person I talked to whether that would be okay and he said it should be fine!

The most time consuming part was getting my Hep B stuff squared away. Apparently the vaccines I got when I was a baby were BS because I had very few antibodies when they did the blood test.

Had to get a booster shot and wait a month to get tested again.
Ah I see. Fortunately I had a positive titer that I was required to do for physician shadowing. The other ones seem simple enough thankfully.

Woah we still register for classes in med school? I thought we all took the same classes?

When does registration start?
I would assume it's to have our name in the system to be able to give us grades and such even though we're taking the same classes. Probably all done automatically too. That's my assumption so MS2+ probably will know more about it haha

To which email address should I send a copy of the receipt for my new laptop?

Also, any word on financial aid??? I still don't have enough for the cost of attendance

Hi guys! For people freaking out about the tech specifications, if you read closely the welcome letter says (for a Macbook Pro) that you need to have a "14” display OR a display running 1366 X 768 resolution or higher." I have a 13" MBP Retina that was manufactured in early 2015 and i contacted tech and they said that was perfectly fine. Their main reason for having the display size requirement is because they were worried about resolution. My resolution is 2560 x 1600 so it meets the requirement. Hope this helps since I also freaked out about the tech requirement!
So tech department said it was fine? Cause what I see on the welcome letter tech specs is "14” or higher display running 1366 X 768 resolution or higher" which I assume is it has to be 14"+ AND 1366x768 resolution+

So tech department said it was fine? Cause what I see on the welcome letter tech specs is "14” or higher display running 1366 X 768 resolution or higher" which I assume is it has to be 14"+ AND 1366x768 resolution+

Yep I sent them all the specs on my computer and they said it was okay! Yeah I realized my mistake but when I checked with them they said the only thing they worried about with smaller screens was resolution, so if you meet the res requirements you should be good. You can always contact them and ask too, they are super nice

Haha so I just did that for the software install and the person I was working with told me the opposite of what you were told. Idk what to believe at this point

I just tried contacting them too and the lady I chatted with said that they don't have any requirements and that I would have to confirm with MCOM for their technology requirements.

We cannot bend the rules on any of the technology specifications. Smaller screen sizes are problematic - especially in Year 2. We have dozens of exam questions that include extended answer choices. Student’s with smaller screens often miss potential answer choices as a result. After conferring with both our USF Health IS and Assessment teams, we’ve concluded that all incoming students must adhere to all of the technology requirements. A Surface Pro is not supported by the NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners). Therefore, federal loan monies cannot be used to purchase it and USF Health Financial Aid cannot allow it under their strict guidelines.

So this is the response I got back when I asked if the screen size was a hard recommendation and why the Surface Pro was not support by FinAid. Hmm .....................

Are you guys just doing the student health insurance or are there any other options you guys are looking into?

Haha so I just did that for the software install and the person I was working with told me the opposite of what you were told. Idk what to believe at this point

Okay this is so strange. After you said that I was like who the hell am I talking to then and called them in person. The person I talked to over the phone reassured me that my screen size shouldn't matter at all during exams. The only thing he could think of it affecting is the way EPIC appears. He also said they've been getting a lot of complaints about the requirement and he doesn't know who at MCOM is telling people its a hard requirement to have a bigger screen size if the resolution is fine (which I agree.) I literally don't know who to believe at this point :/

I don't understand the ethernet cable req. I thought all ethernet cables were the same

I don't understand the ethernet cable req. I thought all ethernet cables were the same

Are you referring to the Ethernet adapter? Some laptops don't have Ethernet ports anymore so you would need an adapter to plug the Ethernet cable into your computer (ex/ USB adapter)

Okay this is so strange. After you said that I was like who the hell am I talking to then and called them in person. The person I talked to over the phone reassured me that my screen size shouldn't matter at all during exams. The only thing he could think of it affecting is the way EPIC appears. He also said they've been getting a lot of complaints about the requirement and he doesn't know who at MCOM is telling people its a hard requirement to have a bigger screen size if the resolution is fine (which I agree.) I literally don't know who to believe at this point :/
My email was from the Director of Student Affairs... I honestly don't know who to believe anymore .....................................

I'm traveling atm, but if anyone else is planning to contact just to verify, I'd suggest Chad Whistle, the one who sent out the original tech requirements emails. The MCOM student affairs department is likely not in sync with the school's general IT dept (usual uni bureaucracy). This is the guy we need to hear it from to be safe, it's best to stick to him and his department.

Chad Whistle, M.Ed.

Director, Student Affairs
Phone: 813.974.2068 |Fax: 813.974.8181 | [email protected]

Last edited:
Bestbuy is offering discounts to students on select laptops. I think they have $100 off on some computers. :) Worth a try to look at.

What do the fees cover in our tuition? E.g. Do we get "free" access to the gym?

Are we ever going to get our financial aid packages.....

So what happens on the first day of POH? I remember someone from interview day saying something about getting us familiar with interviewing patients from day 1, but I can't remember how serious it was.

Are we ever going to get our financial aid packages.....

I think someone said before they haven't awarded scholarships/grants yet and won't do it before the first day of class.

Yup, this is the case. I emailed the finaid office and they said need-based aid/full packages won't be ready before the start of class.