2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is one in January, I can't remember the date

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted my secondary! Thank God I pre-wrote it. I lack the motivation to write anything over one sentence nowadays :p

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Eeeeeeeeeee! I got the phone call for an II this morning!! I'm still in shock. I am so in love with this school, I can't wait to visit!
OOS, Secondary submitted on 8/3.
:love:

Reactions: 4 users
last interview dates: jan 12 of 2017
dec 8th

Forgot to post, but received II on 9/21 for 11/1 interview date. OOS, LizzyM ~ 77. Complete 8/15. Really love this school, but a max of 5 OOS students doesn't bode well for me...

Eeeeeeeeeee! I got the phone call for an II this morning!! I'm still in shock. I am so in love with this school, I can't wait to visit!
OOS, Secondary submitted on 8/3.
:love:
Congratulations!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to the secondary/IIs!

Does anyone know if Dell rejects post-interview or waitlists everyone?

The stress and anxiety is mounting in m life. Almost 3/4 done with this dell app... *TEars* *Cries* *screams*

I have mentally given up on Dell and am emotionally disconnecting myself haha like a break up, but good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys remember that there are 11 other amazing schools in TX. We will get a great education anywhere we go :) Dell interviews such a small amount, that it's a long shot for us all haha

Guys remember that there are 11 other amazing schools in TX. We will get a great education anywhere we go :) Dell interviews such a small amount, that it's a long shot for us all haha
For sure, I will be stoked to go to any medical school in general :)
Still love ice cream though

Yup! VERY excited to have interviewed at other schools and I LOVE them all! Ranking will be hard

II!!!! Still in complete disbelief. LM ~ 72 OOS

Literally just got a secondary...should I even bother? I'm shocked! Also I'm OOS, is it worth it? I have one interview from UTRGV and that's it for TMDSAS

Literally just got a secondary...should I even bother? I'm shocked! Also I'm OOS, is it worth it? I have one interview from UTRGV and that's it for TMDSAS

I would say go for it since 1) you don't have to pay and 2) you might find that you can recycle a lot of your answers from other apps (teamwork, adversity, service, etc)

I would say go for it since 1) you don't have to pay and 2) you might find that you can recycle a lot of your answers from other apps (teamwork, adversity, service, etc)

Man I've been submitting so many AMCAS secondaries I forgot that it was free! Thanks, that's all the boost I needed!

For those of you who interviewed at Dell from OOS, did you just stay at one of the hotels they recommended? And how did you take care of transportation to and from the hotel/airport?

For those of you who interviewed at Dell from OOS, did you just stay at one of the hotels they recommended? And how did you take care of transportation to and from the hotel/airport?
Can't help you with hotels or rental cars because I have family in Austin but I do know they don't have uber or lyft. They have some independent ride share apps though that you can download. I'm not sure how expensive they are but I have a referral discount code for one if you want to PM me

SUBMITTEDDDddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!

*primal scream*

Reactions: 1 users

I booked a super shuttle ride to/from the airport to one of the hotels they recommended and it's only $12 each way. My interview isn't for a few weeks, so I can't speak to how successful the trip will be, but it seems straightforward enough!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How quickly have ppl heard about IIs after submitting their secondary applications?

@TexasSurgeon - submitted by secondary here after x weeks after getting it. How about you?

Last edited:
How quickly have ppl heard about IIs after submitting their secondary applications?
You crack me up, after taking 5 weeks to submit your secondary, you expect the school to respond right away? Kidding aside, try to fight your tendency to procrastinate, it will come back to haunt you.

@orangeblue I was totally in your shoes (granted it wasn't 5 weeks but definitely more than 2) with the Dell secondary. Over the years of filling out tons of applications for various endeavours, I've noticed that some apps are just much harder to finish and it has nothing to do with the length. Even though all of these questions run in the same vein across all the schools, somehow the combination of questions on a single app is the real determinant of level of misery. Mentally, I take it that if I don't like a school's secondary, I'm probably not a good fit/I'm not what they're looking for regardless of how I felt about the school going in.

I really liked Dell's mission and was happy to get a secondary, but as I was trying to fill it out, I didn't feel excited to talk about anything which probably meant I wasn't excited to talk about anything that Dell also wanted to talk about. Heck, I've filled out a couple of secondaries for mega-reach schools I'd never get into but I loved the types of questions they were asking and by some miracle if the school did like me back, it would be like hitting the jackpot.

Reactions: 2 users
@Jillofalltrades - thank you for your kind and positive response. I am doing what I can with what I have in my own life. If I am not good enough, that's ok too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@Jillofalltrades - thank you for your kind and positive response. I am doing what I can with what I have in my own life. If I am not good enough, that's ok too.

@wysdoc I can understand that it is easy to assume that there was some kind of entitlement behind my message, but in all honestly it was a just a inquiry. But thank you anyways for reading and taking time to share your thoughts :) Best regards.

I think she has a good point in that in med school procrastination will come back and bite us 20x harder. We're going to have quadruple the work load we have right now, and we can't let that affect us.

was that for a june-july submission? I think Dell tends to move pretty quickly it seems.

I submitted primary in May but didn't get secondary till late July (I turned it in within 3 days) and I got an interview 1.5sh weeks later. Def less than 2 weeks

Any outofstaters heard anything?? The tension is rising.

Because only 5 OOS applicants are accepted at one time, it is very possible that anyone hearing back won't be on SDN/post on SDN.

Because only 5 OOS applicants are accepted at one time, it is very possible that anyone hearing back won't be on SDN/post on SDN.
Was just at the interview today and they told us they don't send out all the OOS acceptances at once because they do still interview through December.

Does anyone who's already interviewed have any advice regarding prepping for the interview? Especially the MMI and group project since I don't have any experience with those interview platforms

I read over Univ. of Washington's bioethics page and also just googled "MMI prompts" and read through some scenarios in order to prepare. These two things are plenty sufficient to be successful imo

Lol just now got the secondary; this should be fun to write with a little more than a week left before it's due :(