*2016-2017 Washington State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

precisiongraphic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
School post here: https://medicine.wsu.edu/

"Over the next week, the University will be working to achieve membership to the Association of American Medical Colleges, which will provide access to the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Upon gaining membership, the College of Medicine will begin accepting applications in early November."

Article here: http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/wsu-medical-school-receives-accreditation/42170990

Thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-granted-prelim-accreditation-status.1226347/

Members don't see this ad.

School post here: https://medicine.wsu.edu/

"Over the next week, the University will be working to achieve membership to the Association of American Medical Colleges, which will provide access to the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Upon gaining membership, the College of Medicine will begin accepting applications in early November."

Article here: http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/wsu-medical-school-receives-accreditation/42170990

Thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-granted-prelim-accreditation-status.1226347/

Also, I've emailed the Medical School to ask that they post the secondary questions here so we'll see if they do.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone that will be applying here. It's my alma mater and I have had the pleasure of seeing the campus be built over the years. It is named after one of the best college presidents to have ever existed. Make the Floyd family and all the WSU alumni proud. Go Cougs!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard any rumors as to how big the incoming class is?

Will primary application need to be submitted through the amcas website or will they have a private primary application?

"In October 2016, the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine passed a pivotal milestone. It received preliminary accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education. The College can now begin to recruit its charter class of 60 students."

https://medicine.wsu.edu/about/message-from-dean/

Will the first class not qualify for federal student loans because of the accreditation process?

Will the first class not qualify for federal student loans because of the accreditation process?

Loans being unavailable would certainly limit the number of students who could attend, especially from the rural and underserved communities WSU is hoping to recruit from.

Reactions: 2 users
Gooooooooooooooooo Coooooouuuggggggggggssss!

Do y'all think there will be a huge in state or regional
Bias

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes
Per the post on their site: "The Floyd College of Medicine also makes a medical education more accessible to Washingtonians. About two-thirds of aspiring medical students from Washington are forced to go to medical school in other states."

And
"The dean noted that the medical school will recruit talented students from rural and medically underserved communities, first-generation professional students, and those with a passion to serve and lead in medical care. These students will have the opportunity to train in varying clinical settings in communities across the state, increasing the likelihood that they will remain there to practice medicine."

Members don't see this ad :)
Loans being unavailable would certainly limit the number of students who could attend, especially from the rural and underserved communities WSU is hoping to recruit from.

Yeah that would very discouraging.

So do we know when the amcas application will allow us to add WSU ?

So do we know when the amcas application will allow us to add WSU ?

They should post on their blog/website about that. And im sure someone will promptly post on here when available haha.

Just so everyone knows-the application is officially opened up on AAMC website.

Reactions: 2 users
Primary Submitted. Best of luck to everyone !

Primary submitted WOOT! Hopefully will see some of you at the interview!

I'm a little confused, maybe someone can help clarify. For LORs, WSU said 'If your premedical advising office provides a committee letter compiling feedback from multiple sources, this letter will count as two of your three required letters of recommendation.' Does this mean I still need another LOR? I have several LORs already, but they are all submitted as part of my committee letter. It would be kind of difficult (and late) to find another LOR writer... Am I just overthinking this?

Does anyone know what the secondary questions are?

Last edited:
Submitted.

Also: Dat 11/15 deadline when the primary just opened up.

Their target is rural primary care correct?

Anybody care to share their opinions on this school?

I'm seeing it a bit like Cali Northstate but WSU doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near the amount of negative responses CNU had when they were getting their first class together.

Anybody care to share their opinions on this school?

I'm seeing it a bit like Cali Northstate but WSU doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near the amount of negative responses CNU had when they were getting their first class together.

One thing I will say is that the animosity between UW and WSU is very apparent when interviewing at UW. At least when some faculty had been asked about it.

One thing I will say is that the animosity between UW and WSU is very apparent when interviewing at UW. At least when some faculty had been asked about it.
+1 on that. They kept saying stuff like "hey we tried to have a nice relationship with them but they refused"

+1 on that. They kept saying stuff like "hey we tried to have a nice relationship with them but they refused"

Yeah and they made a point in mentioning that UW has a monopoly on all of the good clinical rotations in Washington.. Which is the scariest thing.

Yeah and they made a point in mentioning that UW has a monopoly on all of the good clinical rotations in Washington.. Which is the scariest thing.
Did you interview Wednesday? That's basically 100% how mine went.

The rivalry between UW and WSU continues.. except now WSU became somewhat of a contender on the medical school front. Would love to see this medical school stay and grow. It's been a long time coming for Washington to have another MD school.

Primary submitted! I'm so interested to see how this is all going to play out

Q: How do you view out-of-state applicants?

A: Non-legal residents of Washington must demonstrate ties to Washington by meeting three of four of these requirements: (1) Born in Washington, (2) Childhood address in Washington, (3) Graduated from a Washington high school; and (4) Current parent/guardian lives in Washington. Secondary application also asks applicants to share the strongest or most important connections to the state of Washington and the people who live here. Admitted students with ties to Washington will be considered for a waiver for out of state fees resulting in a tuition cost of $35,000.

So... basically no point of applying if you're OOS, am I right? Got too excited and already submitted the primary, wish I had read this beforehand.

I seriously wonder how much this school has been advertised. Because there's only a few week window for submitting primaries, I wonder how many people will actually apply? Definitely not the usual 6-7 thousand right? maybe around 1-2? That would make interview invite chances that much higher. Here's my weird thinking about this haha

I seriously wonder how much this school has been advertised. Because there's only a few week window for submitting primaries, I wonder how many people will actually apply? Definitely not the usual 6-7 thousand right? maybe around 1-2? That would make interview invite chances that much higher. Here's my weird thinking about this haha

1-2 thousand IN applicants (or those with WA ties) even seems a bit much for me. Only reasoning is because CNUCOM had less than 700 applicants for their 60 students in the charter class and Cali is notorious for being oversaturated with very qualified premeds that too often had to look OOS for med school even with their stellar statlines. Just a guess but I'd say the applicant pool for WSU will be smaller than Cali Northstate based on how Washington is as a state

Reactions: 1 users

Uh UW only got 900 IS applicants last year. Seems like WSUCOM is only taking IS apps so I bet there will be only 600-700 who apply.

Uh UW only got 900 IS applicants last year. Seems like WSUCOM is only taking IS apps so I bet there will be only 600-700 who apply.

only 900 applied IS to UW last year?!?!?!?

I wonder if I should even bother applying because I am not interested in rural or primary care at all. Anyone else applying IS without those interests?

I wonder if I should even bother applying because I am not interested in rural or primary care at all. Anyone else applying IS without those interests?

I'll be interested in whatever my Step 1 scores allows me to be interested in. That being said, yes still applying.

I'll be interested in whatever my Step 1 scores allows me to be interested in. That being said, yes still applying.

Sweet thanks. I think I'll give a swing at it then!

Also, on their website I saw this:

"File the FAFSA

Financial aid is critical for the vast majority of medical students. You can file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) beginning October 1."

Does this mean the first class of students will qualify for federal aid?

Last edited:
I'm a little hesitant about clinical sites after hearing the feedback from UW - has anyone heard more about where rotations will be?

I'm a little hesitant about clinical sites after hearing the feedback from UW - has anyone heard more about where rotations will be?

I have similar concerns. But this is the sort of info we'd get from the interview day.

Reactions: 1 users
Sweet thanks. I think I'll give a swing at it then!

Also, on their website I saw this:

"File the FAFSA

Financial aid is critical for the vast majority of medical students. You can file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) beginning October 1."

Does this mean the first class of students will qualify for federal aid?
I mean it *should*. It's a public institution that already has students receiving federal aid. I can't see why it'd be ineligible

If I get an II, I'm going to ask a LOT of questions (and reporting back here!). I asked 0 at my UW interview but I've got to know what I'm getting myself into with WSU