2017-2018 Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm sure this is a minor question... but, in regards to the letter requirements, I have a "letter packet" from my school. It is not a real committee packet, as my school no longer writes them. Rather, it is a bundle of all my letters with a cover letter written by my school's premed office.

Furthermore, I studied microbiology but my university does not have a microbiology department. I have 2 letters from biology faculty, a non-coursework related leadership letter, and a letter from faculty in my school's college of medicine (research letter). Do you think this last one satisfies the letter requirement?
 
So I'm sure this is a minor question... but, in regards to the letter requirements, I have a "letter packet" from my school. It is not a real committee packet, as my school no longer writes them. Rather, it is a bundle of all my letters with a cover letter written by my school's premed office.

Furthermore, I studied microbiology but my university does not have a microbiology department. I have 2 letters from biology faculty, a non-coursework related leadership letter, and a letter from faculty in my school's college of medicine (research letter). Do you think this last one satisfies the letter requirement?

I think letters from professors who taught your major requirements should satisfy this. This is something you might want to include in the "Is there anything else you want to add" section on your secondary. I'd still call the office to double check.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called the school and they said they want to know what you are doing

I called them up and they told me you have to talk about masters, since you did not start med school right after graduation.
😱🙁Already submitted with a "No". Hope they can figure out what I have been doing from my other supplemental material....
 
Interesting, got a letter from Einstein that one of my letter writers didn't write on "official letterhead." No other school complained about this yet, and the other schools marked me as complete so time to solve this one
 
So I'm sure this is a minor question... but, in regards to the letter requirements, I have a "letter packet" from my school. It is not a real committee packet, as my school no longer writes them. Rather, it is a bundle of all my letters with a cover letter written by my school's premed office.

Furthermore, I studied microbiology but my university does not have a microbiology department. I have 2 letters from biology faculty, a non-coursework related leadership letter, and a letter from faculty in my school's college of medicine (research letter). Do you think this last one satisfies the letter requirement?
Same issue, and also with microbiology! We just don't have any microbiology professors specifically... so hopefully this isn't a problem with my committee packet.
 
Just got an email that my application is now complete. I wasn't even sure if they sent these, so that was a nice surprise. I feel like the sentence "We would appreciate your not calling the office to ascertain the disposition of your folder" means please don't bug us about interviews lol
 
I called the admissions department to ask about the letters. They said they strictly require one from your major. Looks like I will not be returning this secondary then. I have two science letters, but none are from my major.
I also called and they said they are strict about the major letter. The woman was incredibly rude on the phone too.
 
Last edited:
I also called and said they are strict about the major letter. The woman was incredibly rude on the phone too.

I've been majoring in life since graduation, so really any letter should count post graduation...

is the justification I want to give but won't.
 
is anyone else stuck with submitting the secondary? am i overlooking something obvious?

i paid the $120 and got a system tracking ID, but the "save and continue" box is gray. if i click it, nothing happens. Anybody have this issue/know a solution? I've tried all the usual stuff like logging in and out or trying a different laptop.
 

Attachments

  • AECOM Secondary issue sdn.jpg
    AECOM Secondary issue sdn.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 195
I also called and they said they are strict about the major letter. The woman was incredibly rude on the phone too.

Any idea if a research letter from my PI that I took Independent Study courses with in my major would count? My two science letters are outside my department. Seems like it might be a stretch..
 
Any idea if a research letter from my PI that I took Independent Study courses with in my major would count? My two science letters are outside my department. Seems like it might be a stretch..
I think because they specify "in the classroom setting," that may not cut it 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I just wrote '2015-2016 cycle, xx total schools' and then had a blurb about how I strengthened my app. I kinda wish I had also indicated that I'm not considered a reapplicant to Einstein though. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt.

What do you mean by you wish you also indicated that you're not considered a reapplicant to Einstein? I thought they had a section that asks whether or not you completed their application. Are you saying you completed your application but wish you indicated otherwise, or that you didn't complete their application previously but didn't get to say "no" to whether you've applied to AECOM before?

Also, I have to say that I was interviewed there. I'm super paranoid that they'll see that I was interviewed and think "oh, we interviewed him and didn't want him. We won't waste our time this cycle."
 
For non-trads answering the question about what we've been doing during gap years with dates, explanations, etc., is it acceptable to answer this question in bulleted form? I'm finding it difficult to answer this using complete sentences in less than 100 words.
 
The letter requirement on the website is super unclear and admissions didn't help either. I know AECOM requires 1 major letter and 1 science letter but if your major letter is also a science letter does that hit both criteria? Can I just provide a science letter and a non-science letter seeing how that is what a non-science major would do?

The main requirement from the website is that you provide "2 letters from coursework faculty," which is clearly met in the above scenario... holy crap, why is this requirement so ambiguous.
 
The letter requirement on the website is super unclear and admissions didn't help either. I know AECOM requires 1 major letter and 1 science letter but if your major letter is also a science letter does that hit both criteria? Can I just provide a science letter and a non-science letter seeing how that is what a non-science major would do?

The main requirement from the website is that you provide "2 letters from coursework faculty," which is clearly met in the above scenario... holy crap, why is this requirement so ambiguous.

I would call their admissions office. No one answers, but if you leave a message with your name and AMCAS ID, they email you with a response. I heard back within an hour.
 
Slightly dumb question but... for the following, we don't count ourselves right? I'm figuring so since I'm only home during school breaks and that's definitely not a majority of my life. Just want to make sure!

How many people have lived in your primary household during the majority of your life after age eighteen?
 
Also heads up, clicking on the numbers at the top instead of the buttons at the bottom to navigate may erase all your progress for some reason. Just happened to me T_T
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got my secondary. They ask for the second science LOR to be from a faculty member outside of your major. Both of my science LOR's are from my major and I don't see myself being able to get a good one from a different teacher on such a last notice. Will they accept two LOR's from the same major?
 
Hey guys,

For Question #3, [I have taken off at least a year since college graduation
(Please explain your activities in detail, and your reasons for taking time off, and include dates)]

AND

For Question #7, [I have applied to medical school previously
(Please list schools and year of application, and tell us what actions you have taken to improve your application)]

I need to use all 100 words to list out my activities and their dates + schools and can't write my reasons for taking time off + actions I have taken to improve my application. Do you think that's okay?
 
Last edited:
worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa
 
For the question about the online courses, does that include a class taken at our undergrad institution, or a complete online program (such as an online degree program). I thought it included the first, but when I clicked yes, the following popped up:

"Please note that the College does not accept online courses that are not offered by (as opposed to, approved by) your undergraduate or graduate institution. If you have taken online courses, please indicate what courses, where they were taken, and why you elected to take the courses online."

It seems like it does not mean online classes, and only online programs, correct?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
N
For the question about the online courses, does that include a class taken at our undergrad institution, or a complete online program (such as an online degree program). I thought it included the first, but when I clicked yes, the following popped up:

"Please note that the College does not accept online courses that are not offered by (as opposed to, approved by) your undergraduate or graduate institution. If you have taken online courses, please indicate what courses, where they were taken, and why you elected to take the courses online."

It seems like it does not mean online classes, and only online programs, correct?
No. I am reading it as they only accept online courses that you took from your undergrad. They then want to know which classes you took online from your undergrad, and why you took them online. If you had taken an online program, they just wouldn't accept it period and wouldn't be interested in your explanation (or at least this is how I am reading it!)
 
When do we start hearing about II?

Current third year med student at Einstein. Last year I believe the first interviews were in September (roughly around the 10th). I would imagine interviews will be sent out very soon, maybe within the next week to two weeks (according to last years forum). This is assuming that they stick to last years schedule, which they may or may not do.