2017-2018 Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-AZCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My app was complete here 7/27, waitlisted on 8/5. Just got an interview invite today, so there's still hope for anyone waiting for one!

Are you planning on going to the interview?

Also, you mind sharing stats so we can see what kinda people they're pulling off waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

I won't be going to the interview since I've already committed to another school. Stats are 505 MCAT, 3.87 GPA, in state.

Hello colleagues,

I know most of you have posted your acceptance and withdrawal from AZCOM during this cycle in the previous posts. However, I believe you must have been accepted somewhere else since then. Therefore, may I ask for a favor if you can reply to my post whether you are accepted to AZCOM and planning to attend or you are accepted and considering to withdraw if your first choice of school is opened up, please?

I am doing this in hope of helping other fellow colleagues who are still waiting to hear back from AZCOM. Your kindly response is much appreciated.

Thank you for taking your valuable time to respond my post!

Sincerely

WL
I committed to AZCOM, I paid the deposit to hold my seat. However, I am considering to withdraw if my first choice of school accepts me. I am currently waitlisted at my 1st and 2nd choice of schools. But, I really would not mind attending AZCOM because I loved the campus there and its high board scores. I will keep you posted.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an II off of the pre II hold list. Declining, have 3 acceptances and already deposited at one. Good luck hopefully it goes to someone who really needs it!! This AZ native is leaving the state!

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an II off of the pre II hold list. Declining, have 3 acceptances and already deposited at one. Good luck hopefully it goes to someone who really needs it!! This AZ native is leaving the state!
Congrats! Thank you for letting us know!

Reactions: 1 user
I committed to AZCOM, I paid the deposit to hold my seat. However, I am considering to withdraw if my first choice of school accepts me. I am currently waitlisted at my 1st and 2nd choice of schools. But, I really would not mind attending AZCOM because I loved the campus there and its high board scores. I will keep you posted.

FYI: Please note that the the board scores posted are for COMLEX and not USMLE. The class of 2022 will be the 3rd year of students who will be experiencing the potential turbulences of the merger. Im not exactly sure how the standardized testing will move (aka integrating into 1 or still maintaining dual examinations) so it's good to know that you may/may not be taking one of the other. Most likely you'll still end up taking both for your year lol.

FYI: Please note that the the board scores posted are for COMLEX and not USMLE. The class of 2022 will be the 3rd year of students who will be experiencing the potential turbulences of the merger. Im not exactly sure how the standardized testing will move (aka integrating into 1 or still maintaining dual examinations) so it's good to know that you may/may not be taking one of the other. Most likely you'll still end up taking both for your year lol.
I hope they change that soon so DO students have fair shot at resideny spots!

Need some advice on deciding between which rotation location to choose from. I’m currently assigned to Phx East Valley but I was asked if I wanted to switch to Chicago. My parents live in Chicago but I do love Arizona weather. Anyone have any experience with either and wanna help a brother out.
Thanks!

My app has been on hold (pre-II) since August. Is there any chance they might send an II my way or are they done with their interview cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello colleagues,

I know most of you have posted your acceptance and withdrawal from AZCOM during this cycle in the previous posts. However, I believe you must have been accepted somewhere else since then. Therefore, may I ask for a favor if you can reply to my post whether you are accepted to AZCOM and planning to attend or you are accepted and considering to withdraw if your first choice of school is opened up, please?

I am doing this in hope of helping other fellow colleagues who are still waiting to hear back from AZCOM. Your kindly response is much appreciated.

Thank you for taking your valuable time to respond my post!

Sincerely

WL
I was accepted at AZCOM and paid my deposit. However, I am on the waitlist for NYIT (my first choice) and will withdraw if I get an acceptance in New York.

How do we withdraw from here? I don't see any option on portal. Loved the school but cost is prohibitive.

How do we withdraw from here? I don't see any option on portal. Loved the school but cost is prohibitive.
You can send an email to the admission that you would like to withdraw your acceptance from AZCOM.

I was accepted at AZCOM and paid my deposit. However, I am on the waitlist for NYIT (my first choice) and will withdraw if I get an acceptance in New York.
Thank you for replying to my post! I hope you will be able to get accepted to your first choice of school.

I was just accepted to my top choice school yesterday, and withdrew my AZCOM acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you!! I know the waitlist is agonizing!!

Last edited:
Just wanna do a headcount on how many people are waitlisted to hear back from AZCOM? I appreciate your responses.

Interviewed 4/23, accepted via email a few days ago! Did not check the portal so idk the exact date of my acceptance. Will most likely be withdrawing.

Does anyone who was accepted to AZCOM know when orientation is/when classes start? On the waitlist and trying to plan a vacation in July :)

Does anyone who was accepted to AZCOM know when orientation is/when classes start? On the waitlist and trying to plan a vacation in July :)

Orientation is July 23-25th. Classes start July 30th.
Best of luck!

Where do you look on the portal to see your status?

Also anyone who interviewed on 4/27 hear back from them? I've heard nothing so far.

I talked with one of the current med students at AZCOM. She told me that there would be 5% increase of the tuitions for this coming year. Does anyone else hear otherwise?

Please, can someone give me advise on this?
How is the LA rotation for our 3rd and 4th year? I heard West Valley/East Valley Phoenix rotation is better than that of LA?

I really need some insights on this.

Thank you.

I was on the waitlist and got my acceptance early last week. Very grateful, but honestly I'm getting pretty cold feet about the cost of this school. I crunched the numbers accounting for a 5% increase and it is VERY ugly. I've also heard many negatives regarding the culture of the school. Can someone in here provide some info on what they've heard about that?

I interviewed on April 24th and the financial aid counselor told us the tuition was increasing 8% for this coming school year, so I'm not sure if that figure has changed recently or if she misspoke.

I interviewed on April 24th and the financial aid counselor told us the tuition was increasing 8% for this coming school year, so I'm not sure if that figure has changed recently or if she misspoke.
8%? Is this program really worth that much?

I was on the waitlist and got my acceptance early last week. Very grateful, but honestly I'm getting pretty cold feet about the cost of this school. I crunched the numbers accounting for a 5% increase and it is VERY ugly. I've also heard many negatives regarding the culture of the school. Can someone in here provide some info on what they've heard about that?

My boyfriend is an MS1 and we both love AZCOM. But we both did the masters program at Ccom And AZCOM culture fits our personalities more. I’m hanging out on the waitlist.

My boyfriend is an MS1 and we both love AZCOM. But we both did the masters program at Ccom And AZCOM culture fits our personalities more. I’m hanging out on the waitlist.
Can you elaborate? What is AZCOM's personalities?

They mentioned their annual increase in tuition at the interview and it's marked on their website-- tuition increases 4 - 7%.

Glendale Tuition and Fees (for academic year 2017-2018)
Please Note: Tuition rates are subject to change each academic year for all enrolled students. Historically, tuition has increased between 4% and 7% annually.

Program

Tuition

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine

$65,842

may i ask why you are withdrawing?!

AZCOM was my top choice at the start of the cycle but TUN became my top choice after I interviewed with them, and fortunately I was accepted.

TUN offers everything I want in a med school education, and it's closer to home (I'm from So Cal). Overall I think TUN is a better fit for me personally. Plus, I didn't like the vibes I got from AZCOM on interview day (kind of competitive and cut throat-y). And don't even get me started on the tuition and annual increases.

Can you elaborate? What is AZCOM's personalities?

We have a pretty casual group of friends - the school is pretty committed to students wellness and success - I’m biased because it’s my top choice and about 30+ friends go here though so if it didn’t jive for you that’s completely understandable

We have a pretty casual group of friends - the school is pretty committed to students wellness and success - I’m biased because it’s my top choice and about 30+ friends go here though so if it didn’t jive for you that’s completely understandable
Oh, I'm sorry if you misunderstood. I was not being sarcastic. I was genuinely curious about AZCOM's personalities, because I am going there. Tuition is expensive, but I really hope it's worth going here for that much money.

Also, you said your boyfriend is MS1 there, can you ask him (perhaps) which rotation is the better one? LA or one in Phoenix? I have a choice to make by tomorrow.

Thank you.

Depending on where your home location is! If you are coming LA, going back to LA for rotation would be a good choice. From what most of my friends who are currently studying at AZCOM says about picking rotation location, the main reason for why they have picked LA is because they can go home and do not have to spend money on rent during third year and fourth year. Both LA and phoenix are equally good in my opinion.

Oh, I'm sorry if you misunderstood. I was not being sarcastic. I was genuinely curious about AZCOM's personalities, because I am going there. Tuition is expensive, but I really hope it's worth going here for that much money.

Also, you said your boyfriend is MS1 there, can you ask him (perhaps) which rotation is the better one? LA or one in Phoenix? I have a choice to make by tomorrow.

Thank you.
From what we've heard Phoenix tends to have higher board scores (going off of memory - so I may be wrong). I think it really depends on if you want to move again. We are personally planning on staying in Phoenix (he's rotating here and I intend to as well).

I talked with one of the current med students at AZCOM. She told me that there would be 5% increase of the tuitions for this coming year. Does anyone else hear otherwise?

Yes, the tuition here is absurdly high and honestly, I have no clue why that is the case. Our tuition for next year was a 4.7% or 4.17% (I dont remember the exact numbers) increase. The % hike isn't the issue, it's the base cost of this school as all schools will have to adjust for "inflation." Our class jokes around that the ~4% hike goes to the real important things like air conditioning and water for the stiff grass. Not for internet cause no one needs internet in school.

If you got another acceptance and got good vibes from the other school, there is no harm turning down this acceptance. But if this is your only acceptance then I would think twice before rejecting this acceptance. An expensive school is better than no school.

If it makes you feel better, there has been 1000+ grads from AZCOM and most of them made it out fine despite our ~300K debt.

Thank you.

Rotations during MS1 doesnt matter as you will get to switch later approaching 2nd year. PHX definitely has more spots but in terms of strength, there really isnt that big of a difference. The only plus that PHX sites have over all the other places is home court advantage.

E: I should add that it may be easier to switch from LA to PHX than vice-versa.

From what we've heard Phoenix tends to have higher board scores (going off of memory - so I may be wrong). I think it really depends on if you want to move again. We are personally planning on staying in Phoenix (he's rotating here and I intend to as well).

I don't think board scores have anything to do with choosing a rotation site.

I think I'm leaning towards switching to LA rotation then since Im from LA. Thank you for all your help.

Yes, the tuition here is absurdly high and honestly, I have no clue why that is the case. Our tuition for next year was a 4.7% or 4.17% (I dont remember the exact numbers) increase. The % hike isn't the issue, it's the base cost of this school as all schools will have to adjust for "inflation." Our class jokes around that the ~4% hike goes to the real important things like air conditioning and water for the stiff grass. Not for internet cause no one needs internet in school.

If you got another acceptance and got good vibes from the other school, there is no harm turning down this acceptance. But if this is your only acceptance then I would think twice before rejecting this acceptance. An expensive school is better than no school.

If it makes you feel better, there has been 1000+ grads from AZCOM and most of them made it out fine despite our ~300K debt.

Rotations during MS1 doesnt matter as you will get to switch later approaching 2nd year. PHX definitely has more spots but in terms of strength, there really isnt that big of a difference. The only plus that PHX sites have over all the other places is home court advantage.

E: I should add that it may be easier to switch from LA to PHX than vice-versa.

I don't think board scores have anything to do with choosing a rotation site.
There are no rotations in MS1... these are assignments for MS3 and 4

Does anyone know when the alternate list movement starts?

Does anyone know when the alternate list movement starts?
Next week should be the week because on May 15th, AACOMAS will send out the report of students with multiple deposits. These students will then have to decide which school they would like to attend.