2017-2018 Florida State University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any recommendations on what I should do? Does FSU do silent rejections? I have been complete since 9/20 and have not heard back anything yet and i have sent about 3 or 4 significant updates at this point. 502 MCAT. 3.8 GPA. Puerto Rican URM with significant community service/volunteering etc in rural areas. Idk why the silence and my portal under application status has said 'no status' at the top forever. idk if that is the same for everyone. I had to cancel my cruise plans because of not knowing where ill be over the summer lol

They do not send out rejections until the end of the cycle.
 
Any recommendations on what I should do? Does FSU do silent rejections? I have been complete since 9/20 and have not heard back anything yet and i have sent about 3 or 4 significant updates at this point. 502 MCAT. 3.8 GPA. Puerto Rican URM with significant community service/volunteering etc in rural areas. Idk why the silence and my portal under application status has said 'no status' at the top forever. idk if that is the same for everyone. I had to cancel my cruise plans because of not knowing where ill be over the summer lol
It's frustrating but we gotta be patient. One of my friends received an interview invite in April and got in.
 
They do not send out rejections until the end of the cycle.
Actually, I know a few people last cycle personally who got their rejections in January. There’s a “method” according to what an admission staff told me last cycle with rejections. As to what it is?...who knows...so I feel like if you weren’t that batch then there’s still a chance
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was today! Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Went well, but they told us upfront that they had sent out enough acceptances to fill the class, so basically, we were interviewing for waitlist spots.
Aw man, thank you. Definitely not what I wanted to hear.. but thank you for posting that
 
According to last years class data, there were 152 acceptances given for a 120 student class size. Apparently FSU gives out 150 "outright" acceptances. Does this mean that only 2 people were pulled off the waitlist last year?
 
Current students: do you think that having a car is necessary your first 2 years? I'm sure I'll need one in my 3rd and 4th years, but I would rather not get one at the moment. Also, do you have any suggestions for relatively quiet and updated apartments within walking distance? Thanks!
 
Current students: do you think that having a car is necessary your first 2 years? I'm sure I'll need one in my 3rd and 4th years, but I would rather not get one at the moment. Also, do you have any suggestions for relatively quiet and updated apartments within walking distance? Thanks!

STRONGLY recommended. You will have a Senior Mentor program in the Fall of your 1st year where you and another student will be paired with an elderly adult in the community and will have to meet up with them several times. Also you will have be assigned preceptors throughout the Spring of your First year and Fall of second year. These will be physicians you will be paired up with in the community and will be working with them in clinic. Some people in my class have to drive up to 30-40 minutes to get to theirs. While you could manage without a car, it would be incredibly time consuming (unless you plan to use taxi services like UBER). Also, at the end of first year, there is a 3-week summer clinical practicum. Once again, you are working with a community physician that you get paired up with. There are locations throughout the state. While the school does their best to put you in places closest to listed permanent addresses you have, they cannot please everyone. I know many people who will be working in random areas within the state and some will have to drive over 50 miles/day from a permanent address (which the school compensates) while others require hotels for the 3 week period (also compensated).

Great apartments nearby:
-Legacy
-Seminole Flatts
-Quantum (will be brand new Fall 2018)
-the Luxe on West Call
-Chieftain Greens (may be getting knocked down so not sure about this one)

These are all within walking distance, which I recommend. I live in one of these and have found it to be extremely convenient. Takes me ~5 minutes to walk to class. ALOT of med students live in Seminole Flatts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
STRONGLY recommended. You will have a Senior Mentor program in the Fall of your 1st year where you and another student will be paired with an elderly adult in the community and will have to meet up with them several times. Also you will have be assigned preceptors throughout the Spring of your First year and Fall of second year. These will be physicians you will be paired up with in the community and will be working with them in clinic. Some people in my class have to drive up to 30-40 minutes to get to theirs. While you could manage without a car, it would be incredibly time consuming (unless you plan to use taxi services like UBER). Also, at the end of first year, there is a 3-week summer clinical practicum. Once again, you are working with a community physician that you get paired up with. There are locations throughout the state. While the school does their best to put you in places closest to listed permanent addresses you have, they cannot please everyone. I know many people who will be working in random areas within the state and some will have to drive over 50 miles/day from a permanent address (which the school compensates) while others require hotels for the 3 week period (also compensated).

Great apartments nearby:
-Legacy
-Seminole Flatts
-Quantum (will be brand new Fall 2018)
-the Luxe on West Call
-Chieftain Greens (may be getting knocked down so not sure about this one)

These are all within walking distance, which I recommend. I live in one of these and have found it to be extremely convenient. Takes me ~5 minutes to walk to class. ALOT of med students live in Seminole Flatts.

Thank you so much for that level of detail... looks like I'll be getting a car!
 
Honestly didn't know that II's were still going out but then I remembered I got an II for March 27 in my senior year. So I guess that this is the last week of II's. Good luck all.
 
When do classes actually start? I believe the orientation is in late May. Does that mean classes start immediately afterward for the incoming M1s or do they start in August around the time of the white coat ceremony? Asking for a friend
 
When do classes actually start? I believe the orientation is in late May. Does that mean classes start immediately afterward for the incoming M1s or do they start in August around the time of the white coat ceremony? Asking for a friend

I think it starts May 28. That's what MSAR says!
 
Does anyone know if we're supposed to fill out and order the medical equipment form before orientation or is that done when school starts?
 
STRONGLY recommended. You will have a Senior Mentor program in the Fall of your 1st year where you and another student will be paired with an elderly adult in the community and will have to meet up with them several times. Also you will have be assigned preceptors throughout the Spring of your First year and Fall of second year. These will be physicians you will be paired up with in the community and will be working with them in clinic. Some people in my class have to drive up to 30-40 minutes to get to theirs. While you could manage without a car, it would be incredibly time consuming (unless you plan to use taxi services like UBER). Also, at the end of first year, there is a 3-week summer clinical practicum. Once again, you are working with a community physician that you get paired up with. There are locations throughout the state. While the school does their best to put you in places closest to listed permanent addresses you have, they cannot please everyone. I know many people who will be working in random areas within the state and some will have to drive over 50 miles/day from a permanent address (which the school compensates) while others require hotels for the 3 week period (also compensated).

Great apartments nearby:
-Legacy
-Seminole Flatts
-Quantum (will be brand new Fall 2018)
-the Luxe on West Call
-Chieftain Greens (may be getting knocked down so not sure about this one)

These are all within walking distance, which I recommend. I live in one of these and have found it to be extremely convenient. Takes me ~5 minutes to walk to class. ALOT of med students live in Seminole Flatts.

Love how "AGator Forever" goes to FSU...Anyways, it's not super necessary while you're just around campus the first few years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if we're supposed to fill out and order the medical equipment form before orientation or is that done when school starts?
When school starts. Also I wanna say like 80% of my class don't own anything beyond a stethoscope. Really don't need it if you don't want it. Helpful if you plan on medical mission trips or some such but you'll hear all about that at orientation.
 
When school starts. Also I wanna say like 80% of my class don't own anything beyond a stethoscope. Really don't need it if you don't want it. Helpful if you plan on medical mission trips or some such but you'll hear all about that at orientation.

Agreed. I only know a handful of people in my class that purchased medical equipment. Outside of a stethoscope, you're not going to need anything that isn't already provided in the exam room/clinic. Especially for the dollar amount they charge for those packages.
 
Current student replying to some of the comments I’ve seen on here and have been messaged about:

Have a car is basically a must. I even believe it is in the student agreement that you sign when you start school here that you have a reliable mode of transportation. We have a lot of activities away from campus and even out of town such as preceptor, senior mentoring, and summer clinicals that require you to be able to drive to get there. You won’t always be paired with another student at th same time/place to carpool.

Secondly, Bridge acceptance offers do not go out until the end of the first week of May. You’re some of the last people to find out. If you believe you could be selected as a candidate for that just know you will not know a day sooner than May.

Thirdly, don’t start studying and buying things for the summer yet. You will be told with plenty of time to purchase / given access to a lot of study material during orientation. Don’t buy things until you’re here. Save your money! You will realize soon enough that it’s precious and hard to come by in med school.

Lastly, please don’t start studying. It will not help you in any shape or form. Enjoy your time until you start because summer will be hard and fast, but amazing! Seriously, do something fun. Don’t waste time studying right now there’s going to be 4 years of that.
 
“Lastly, please don’t start studying. It will not help you in any shape or form. Enjoy your time until you start because summer will be hard and fast, but amazing! Seriously, do something fun. Don’t waste time studying”

Yes i needed to see this lol
 
What day this month do you think would be good to throw in the towel, if no interview invite has been given out? I was thinking maybe like the 20th if we have not heard back.
 
Got my (kind) rejection email today. OOS, LM 68. Good luck to everybody else —especially those of you with those final interviews. Go kill it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad