2017-2018 Kansas City University - Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@canadian1287 @Coltuna
So here's the deal with rotation sites. For 3rd year, they want to keep all of us as local as possible for didactics. There are spots for at least 120/~160 of our class within 45 minutes of Joplin. That does not exclude us from rotating at other sites. Our 4th year has a lot of time for electives and interview rotations. We won't be stuck in Joplin, they just want to make sure our rotation sites have excellent preceptors so we learn what we need to learn for each of the core rotations.
Any tips for waitlisted students??? I email Dr. Harper but she hasnt responded. Like where do i go from now??? In terms of titer, health insurance and else?

Members don't see this ad.

Any tips for waitlisted students??? I email Dr. Harper but she hasnt responded. Like where do i go from now??? In terms of titer, health insurance and else?
I called a few weeks ago asking if anything was needed on my end, they said for now just wait lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite for February!!! Im a Floridian, looks like I better purchase 3 jackets to wear!
Question: Does your interview campus determine which campus you will matriculate at if accepted? For example if you interview at Joplin does that mean Kansas City campus is out of the question? Considering that there were no Kansas city interviews available to select from.
**Asking for a friend**

Just got an interview invite for February!!! Im a Floridian, looks like I better purchase 3 jackets to wear!
Question: Does your interview campus determine which campus you will matriculate at if accepted? For example if you interview at Joplin does that mean Kansas City campus is out of the question? Considering that there were no Kansas city interviews available to select from.
**Asking for a friend**

Nope, interviewed Joplin. Got KC. Good luck at the interview! The Joplin campus is suuuuper nice.

Reactions: 1 users

Hi! Waitlister here. :)
I interviewed February 28, sent off my Letter of Intent May 10, and received my accepted phone call May 18th.

KCU is pretty intense about you being on time for things, so I included in my letter that, "all my titers and vaccines are complete." Which I think also helped.

All the resources I found for LOIs said that you should only send it to your top school. Nothing looks worse than pledging your allegiance to a school then turning down their offer. So if you're serious about KCU, enough to send an LOI, then get the titers and vaccines done now. There's no reason to wait.

I can't help on the health insurance, I'm still on my parents'. Sorry about that. If you have any questions about writing an LOI feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone looked at the immunizations sheets? Even if we have documented vaccines or immunity they seem to want additional titers drawn..

Just accepted to Joplin campus!!!!!
Interviewed 10/21

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted. Will be attending!!!

I am still not understanding why i was waitlisted and the silence just kills me. Calling on monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted 10/21 interview!! Joplin campus! Is there a Facebook group!?

Has anyone looked at the immunizations sheets? Even if we have documented vaccines or immunity they seem to want additional titers drawn..

Many hospitals require documentation that you truly have immunity to the things you were vaccinated against. Sometimes the vaccines don't provide adequate protection. For example, one of my titers in the MMR vaccine, even though I was completely up to date on it, was low. I had to get a repeat vaccine. Luckily, I was immune to Hep B. That vaccine takes ages to complete.

Have any first years here been involved in research/planning on it?

Hey all, this might have been posted before and if it has I'm sorry. Asking around people keep telling me that KCU Joplin has awesome rotations. What does this mean? what makes one site better than another school's?

@ohmanwaddup Joplin has less competition at its rotation sites. The KC campus has UMKC, KCU, and KU all competing for clerkship locations in the KC area. Joplin has a couple osteopathic schools that have slots in the Joplin area. Our hospitals here also donated a nice chunk of change to the Joplin campus to get it up and running, so they have money in the game for us.

Hey all, this might have been posted before and if it has I'm sorry. Asking around people keep telling me that KCU Joplin has awesome rotations. What does this mean? what makes one site better than another school's?
I guess they mean Freeman, where there are a few residencies and residents to work with (ward base experience) and and it's really close and with few competition.

Because as the only Medical school in the area, you have 2 great hospitals for yourself with really no competition. And Joplin is located in between 4 states, which means you got people coming from all over intersecting there, so you get to see a lot of trauma patients and other interesting cases.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

@ohmanwaddup Joplin has less competition at its rotation sites. The KC campus has UMKC, KCU, and KU all competing for clerkship locations in the KC area. Joplin has a couple osteopathic schools that have slots in the Joplin area. Our hospitals here also donated a nice chunk of change to the Joplin campus to get it up and running, so they have money in the game for us.

I guess they mean Freeman, where there are a few residencies and residents to work with (ward base experience) and and it's really close and with few competition.

Because as the only Medical school in the area, you have 2 great hospitals for yourself with really no competition. And Joplin is located in between 4 states, which means you got people coming from all over intersecting there, so you get to see a lot of trauma patients and other interesting cases.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Thanks Everyone, that clears it up for me. I'm really excited to start in the summer and I'm even more excited to move down to Joplin. July can't come soon enough!

Hey guys!! Just accepted to Joplin - really excited!

I interviewed at the KC campus and have never been to Joplin. If anyone could give me any insight into the school I’d really appreciate it!!

Hey guys!! Just accepted to Joplin - really excited!

I interviewed at the KC campus and have never been to Joplin. If anyone could give me any insight into the school I’d really appreciate it!!

The Joplin campus is brand new and quiet with lots of study/relaxing space. Its nice. Small town but everything is easy to get to. When did you interview? I went on Nov. 4th, I'm thinking we might find out next week possibly.

The Joplin campus is brand new and quiet with lots of study/relaxing space. Its nice. Small town but everything is easy to get to. When did you interview? I went on Nov. 4th, I'm thinking we might find out next week possibly.

Thanks for the reply! How was the feel of the school? Did student interaction seem friendly?

I interviewed 10/26 and heard back today.

Thanks for the reply! How was the feel of the school? Did student interaction seem friendly?

I interviewed 10/26 and heard back today.

I loved the feel of the school. All the students I interacted with were wonderful and friendly. It made me want to go to the Joplin Campus even more!

Hey first years! Do you have any suggestions for apartments? Where do the students typically live? Thanks!

I agree with you. If the 10/26 group heard back today then I'm assuming we'll hear back next week, unless there were other interviews between 10/26 and 11/4?

I agree with you. If the 10/26 group heard back today then I'm assuming we'll hear back next week, unless there were other interviews between 10/26 and 11/4?

There was a 10/27 group but I'm not sure if this was just the main campus or both campuses.

Hey first years! Do you have any suggestions for apartments? Where do the students typically live? Thanks!

Waterview Estates - Middle of nowhere. Average apartment. Majority of students live here.
CopperPoint Landing - Very close to school.Average apartment. Many students live here.
Rustic Ridge - Nice. Average apartment.
ThePlaza - Super nice, but pricey. Own garage.
Houses across the block from school - (Bird Ave, Pearl Ave, etc.. that area.) pretty nice. Have a backyard for post-final beersbee games.
Houses across from Copper Point - VERY nice. Affordable.

...is where the majority of students live. There are some that drive 15/20 minutes to school in cheaper places outside of town, and there are just a few places downtown that a couple students live.

Just about every complex is brand new from the tornado and KCU being built.

Remember KCU has a designated dude for housing! My realtor was pretty cool, too, PM me if you need another realtor's name.

Does anybody know if you can do the DO-MBA program at the Joplin campus?

I interviewed at Joplin on Friday, 10/27! Still haven't heard back and the wait is killing me. This school is my number 1 choice and I would be ecstatic to get in either campus.

Does anybody know if you can do the DO-MBA program at the Joplin campus?
There isn't currently an option for Joplin students to pursue a dual degree, but they are considering it within the next few years. I emailed admissions because I'm interested in DO/MBA as well and they just said exactly what was on their faq page for Joplin. No info on if it'll be an option for next years matriculants. Disappointed that this might not be an option for class of 2022 students...

II today, scheduled for Joplin 12/7, all other dates were in Feb.

Anyone know when WL movement stated last year and what percentage was taken off of it?

Does anyone know when we find out how much FAFSA money we will receive?

Can any current students comment on the Military Track at KCU-Joplin?

does anyone have an idea of when 10/27 will hear back?

Accepted to the Joplin campus! Interviewed 10/27.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Interviewed on November 4th.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
With this huge deposit deadline coming up I'm becoming slightly more anxious as each day passes and I have to choose between two schools. I thought my decision was 100% made and I'd be coming here, but now I'm sort of second guessing myself. Can anyone elaborate on the rotations set up here, there are a decent amount wards based right? Will we basically be staying for 3 and 4 year or will a big portion of students be moving from month to month? When people talk about KCU being such a solid school.. does that really only extend to KCU-KC because of it's research and dual degree programs? I really loved this school, but it's such a huge move for me I think the reality of such a big life changing thing is starting to scare me a tiny bit. Can someone hold my hand and tell me how great KCU Joplin is so my brain will shut up for five seconds?
I second this. While KCU-KC does have a solid reputation and research opportunities, I am contemplating paying my deposit for the Joplin campus. I really want to pursue an academic/university based residency and am unsure how attending a new DO campus will factor into this. Can anyone expand on the clinical aspect? I know that Freeman in Joplin is basically a teaching hospital but how definite is it that we will do our rotations there? Or how are the other clinical sites that we might rotate at? Thank you

I second this. While KCU-KC does have a solid reputation and research opportunities, I am contemplating paying my deposit for the Joplin campus. I really want to pursue an academic/university based residency and am unsure how attending a new DO campus will factor into this. Can anyone expand on the clinical aspect? I know that Freeman in Joplin is basically a teaching hospital but how definite is it that we will do our rotations there? Or how are the other clinical sites that we might rotate at? Thank you
This isn't like LECOM Erie vs Seton vs Bradenton where there's little-no coordination between campuses. Joplin and KC admission teams meet for every decision to decide which campus is a best fit for each applicant, have the same admission standards, have the same curriculum, share many of the same rotation sites, etc. I can't speak to the likelihood of rotating in Joplin at Freeman, but have you looked at the other rotation sites? Many of them have currently addredited/intially accredited ACGME residencies which is great to have for a home site and IMO is severely overlooked by people deciding between schools. LECOM/PCOM/Touro branches are comparable to someone owning multiple businesses serving different purposes and just having their name at the beginning while KCU branches are comparable to Walmart opening up a new branch.

Edit: Poor analogy but hopefully you get my point.

Last edited:
I believe you rank 3-5 sites and it's a lottery system using an algorithm where MOST students get one of their top sites. I'm assuming that if you're interested in the AHEC sites, you actually rank that region and travel between sites within that AHEC region. Those AHEC sites are much smaller than the "______ Medical Center Sites" with their own section. This isn't different from other D.O. schools though-- I currently work at a level 4 trauma center, and we have a student from DMU rotating with us for a few clerkships then moving on to another hospital. I think if you know that you want to do rural primary care or something, these sites may be a good fit for you. Take all of this with a grain of salt because I'll be starting when you do, but this is my understanding.

Ahh that makes sense. So one of those hospital facilities you'd theoretically do all your inpatient based rotations there? Do you think there will be enough spots in Joplin for us to get the benefits of Freeman and Mercy being right there?
Again, I'm basically taking a shot in the dark here, but I assume each site has certain preceptors who are more willing to teach in certain specialties. I'm unsure whether there will be enough spots at Freeman and/or Mercy. I've seen it mentioned a couple times in the recent past on SDN that all Joplin student will have the opportunity to rotate in Joplin, but it was mentioned by members who don't currently attend and were informed at interview.

Last edited:
To any first years - do most people live alone or with roommates? If you do have roommates, did you find them on the facebook group or another way?

Accepted! Interviewed at the Joplin campus on 12/7 :) Loved the school. Good luck to others that interviewed!