2017-2018 LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of the MS2 students who transferred from Erie to SH said it was enforced there... so, perhaps. Black stockings can be trendy at least.

I feel like such an old woman in stockings. Guess you gotta do what you gotta do for that DO. So they haven't sent the letters out for ED?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, so mini speculation/info that should calm everyone down. Last year they sent ALL of ED out at the same time, which means until they review all of the ED candidates it is unlikely that they will send anyone's out. Additionally, they had the AOA visit the week leading up to the 30th, and warned my interview group that they would be very distracted by that and may not get to reviewing applications until the following week. Which means they are reviewing all the ED apps this week, and will most likely mail them out at the end of this week, or the beginning of next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so mini speculation/info that should calm everyone down. Last year they sent ALL of ED out at the same time, which means until they review all of the ED candidates it is unlikely that they will send anyone's out. Additionally, they had the AOA visit the week leading up to the 30th, and warned my interview group that they would be very distracted by that and may not get to reviewing applications until the following week. Which means they are reviewing all the ED apps this week, and will most likely mail them out at the end of this week, or the beginning of next week.
Some of our portals have changed and say a decision has been made and you will receiver a letter in 2-5 days. This was on Tuesday. So I think some have been sent

Reactions: 1 users
Mine still says 30 days. Didn't know know that some changed to 2-5 days. This process is so confusing

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else choose ED and their portal still not change?

Not gonna lie, this whole admissions game that LECOM plays (with cryptic mailed letters after updating your portal) is just a continuation of the administration's resistance to adapt to the changing landscape of education and student culture. I get the whole dress code situation (not my preference, but I can understand)... but they take it too far by not allowing students to have water or coffee in class. You got to be kidding me.... that's so stubborn. Focus on medical education and the things that matter, not pointless rules like that. It's funny because its not like the administration is aloof. They are totally self-aware of their "draconian" reputation, which makes this whole ordeal even worse. I know this topic has been repeated over and over, but I tried giving this school a chance and they totally flopped.

Reactions: 6 users
Not gonna lie, this whole admissions game that LECOM plays (with cryptic mailed letters after updating your portal) is just a continuation of the administration's resistance to adapt to the changing landscape of education and student culture. I get the whole dress code situation (not my preference, but I can understand)... but they take it too far by not allowing students to have water or coffee in class. You got to be kidding me.... that's so stubborn. Focus on medical education and the things that matter, not pointless rules like that. It's funny because its not like the administration is aloof. They are totally self-aware of their "draconian" reputation, which makes this whole ordeal even worse. I know this topic has been repeated over and over, but I tried giving this school a chance and they totally flopped.
They get results though -- their first time pass rates on the COMLEX are in the top 3 in the nation. So I guess the intense old school methods pay off.

They get results though -- their first time pass rates on the COMLEX are in the top 3 in the nation. So I guess the intense old school methods pay off.

There is absolutely no evidenced correlation between their draconian nature and their results. Other DO schools (including 100+ allopathic) produce equally strong medical education without the rules.

There is absolutely no evidenced correlation between their draconian nature and their results. Other DO schools (including 100+ allopathic) produce equally strong medical education without the rules.
Actually there are studies that show an increased level of discipline and structure/professionalism improves students scores. But in all reality, if you hate it that much then the school is not for you, and that is perfectly fine -- just pull your application and withdraw so you can focus on schools you would be happier at and they can focus on applicants who would be happier with them. :)

I agree. It definitely shows that they have a "stick with our ways" mentality.

Actually there are studies that show an increased level of discipline and structure/professionalism improves students scores. But in all reality, if you hate it that much then the school is not for you, and that is perfectly fine -- just pull your application and withdraw so you can focus on schools you would be happier at and they can focus on applicants who would be happier with them. :)

Frankly, you're mistaking discipline/structure for dogmatism. Every medical school in the nation demands professionalism and structure - some even moreso than LECOM. LECOM goes overboard and tries to micromanage students with archaic rules. Regardless, I'm not just speaking for myself but I'm trying to provide valuable info for everyone that interviews here or considers this an option. I thought previous students were exaggerating LECOM's vibe, but I think its accurate.

Frankly, you're mistaking discipline/structure for dogmatism. Every medical school in the nation demands professionalism and structure - some even moreso than LECOM. LECOM goes overboard and tries to micromanage students with archaic rules. Regardless, I'm not just speaking for myself but I'm trying to provide valuable info for everyone that interviews here or considers this an option. I thought previous students were exaggerating LECOM's vibe, but I think its accurate.

Which campus did you interview at, Erie?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow. I thought they were nicer than I expected. Was there any one thing that tipped you over? or just everything? (feel free to PM if that's a better option)

Considering the administrators emphasized over and over during the day "we have these rules, we don't care if you or the student body don't like them, we aren't changing for you because we've been doing this a long time." These things stuck out to me initially but I was grateful to be in the position to get an interview, so I tried to ignore them. I then interviewed at other schools (both DO and MD) and NONE of those schools acted like that. Literally all the schools, even a super established old allopathic school, emphasized how they are willing to adjust the curriculum, rules, library hours if the student body wants. They all emphasized interaction with faculty and the Dean to work on issues like that. That was the moment I realized how backward and tone deaf the culture at LECOM was. To each his/her own!

Completed 09/18 heard nothing yet. I'm guess that's pretty common? Thanks.

Considering the administrators emphasized over and over during the day "we have these rules, we don't care if you or the student body don't like them, we aren't changing for you because we've been doing this a long time." These things stuck out to me initially but I was grateful to be in the position to get an interview, so I tried to ignore them. I then interviewed at other schools (both DO and MD) and NONE of those schools acted like that. Literally all the schools, even a super established old allopathic school, emphasized how they are willing to adjust the curriculum, rules, library hours if the student body wants. They all emphasized interaction with faculty and the Dean to work on issues like that. That was the moment I realized how backward and tone deaf the culture at LECOM was. To each his/her own!

Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your interviews and acceptance!

Seton Hill
+ The campus is pretty nice. Lots of older buildings with antique feel, if you're into that. Seemed like it would be nice in the fall. + The staff was very nice. + Some students had less conventional piercings. Stocking rule not heavily enforced for females (as opposed to Erie). + Relatively close to Pittsburgh. Could perhaps be beneficial for external research opportunities, ... and night life. + Global Medicine Club (though Erie does have an equivalent group). + 100 fellow PBLers
- The campus is still fairly far from Pittsburgh. It took me about 2 hours to get there from SH, in traffic. - Small town, <15k people. Less diverse than a large city. - The area is just to the left of the Allegheny mountains, which makes it a bit colder then you'd expect. But (hidden +) you still get ~40 in of snow compared to Erie's ~100 - There is no presence of a cadaver lab at all. - Shared campus with undergraduate students. Eh. - Doesn't have Erie's fitness facilities.

Overall, I thought I could be happy here. LECOM offers me a unique opportunity, the ability to practice medicine in the NE (in a state with great hospitals and DO recognition) versus the SE, which is a determining factor for me personally.

Thanks so much! This is all great info.

Really appreciated you sharing! Thanks!

Did anyone call and ask whats up with the ED?

They deliver mails around 4pm in my area . I will be at work then and will look into Sdn for mails update lol

No letter today for me

Erie - ED

How long should we expect to wait for a decision after an interview here?

Those interviewed in Eerie has your portals changed yet? I interviewed in Eerie on 7/24 still has not received any news; anyone in the same boat?

Those interviewed in Eerie has your portals changed yet? I interviewed in Eerie on 7/24 still has not received any news; anyone in the same boat?

I interviewed at Seton Hill 8/25 i think? I don't have portal change for Seton Hill, but I do for Erie. I also put Erie LDP as my first choice because I was NOT feeling seton hill.

Do you guys know if the portal not changing is some kind of message of rejection??? I'm worried because mine still is: "congratulations, you have been selected for interview etc, ".
Mine is SH campus.

Do you guys know if the portal not changing is some kind of message of rejection??? I'm worried because mine still is: "congratulations, you have been selected for interview etc, ".
Mine is SH campus.
Sure hope not, this is in my top 3 and I'll commit if I get that magically letter in the mail that seems to only be a rumor, a myth, a figment of our imaginations. We've all heard of the Loch Ness Monster, Big Foot, El Chupacabra, and the Jersey Devil...now there is The LECOM Letter...will it come, we may never know!

Withdrew my interview for 10/27 Seton Hill. Good luck everyone!

I interviewed at Seton Hill 8/25 i think? I don't have portal change for Seton Hill, but I do for Erie. I also put Erie LDP as my first choice because I was NOT feeling seton hill.

What was off about Seton Hill?

Mine is SH campus.

When did you interview? (date)

Mine was Aug 31

Hmm I interviewed a week before that and have a decision. Maybe they just haven't gotten to the next week, since they were busy with AOA?

On a side note, mail anyone?

Was the AOA meeting the 30th of September?

Got my acceptance in the mail this afternoon! Interviewed at Erie on 8/25. Will be withdrawing. Best of luck to everyone else!

Congrats! Where are you located?

Accepted. I'm in PA and received the letter today

I interviewed in late August