2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted my app on June 1st. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)

Current fourth year student here. Even though I likely can't answer many specifics about the preclerkship years, I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Reactions: 1 users

Current fourth year student here. Even though I likely can't answer many specifics about the preclerkship years, I'm happy to help in any way I can.

If there are any Canadians who have any questions hit me up and I'll try to help out! I'm a first year student here.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary recieved as well! This is my top school and thought id be proactive and start the secondary using last years prompts...all questions are different...lol...fml

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my secondary.
@AlteredScale

1. What knowledge do you have about Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine? Describe your exposure to the osteopathic profession. (500 words)
2. How would you like to be remembered by your friends, family, and community? (500)
3. If you were guaranteed a seat in medical school, but had one year off before starting, how would you spend that year? (500)

Super different but I like the flexibility in terms of creativity.

Secondary submitted!

Current OMS-I here (how weird to say!) and more than happy to answer any questions :) SDN is the only reason I knew anything about applying to medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Current OMS-I here (how weird to say!) and more than happy to answer any questions :) SDN is the only reason I knew anything about applying to medical school.

If there are any Canadians who have any questions hit me up and I'll try to help out! I'm a first year student here.

Thanks for joining the forum guys! Could either if you comment on what you like about the school? As @leturbinator mentioned, one of the questions is 'What knowledge do you have about Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine?' which isn't one of the typical 'Why do you want to come to X school?' questions and I feel may be a good way to weed out the OOS newbs/noobs

Thanks for joining the forum guys! Could either if you comment on what you like about the school? As @leturbinator mentioned, one of the questions is 'What knowledge do you have about Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine?' which isn't one of the typical 'Why do you want to come to X school?' questions and I feel may be a good way to weed out the OOS newbs/noobs
Well, I'll bite and help do some of your homework for you... :p
1) One of my favorite thing about the school is its presence around the state and beyond. We have three preclerkship sites (East Lansing, Detroit, and Macomb). We have 22 clinical training hospitals to choose from all over the state. And we have 25 Canadian students in each class to help spread the DO world into Canada (in theory, at least. In practice they add some very strong students to the class.).
2) Being a part of one of the largest universities in the country gets you access to tons of research opportunities.
3) There are a handful of interesting dual degree programs (DO/PhD, DO/MPH, DO/MBA).
4) We have a network of nearly 2,000 affiliated residency positions through our Statewide Campus System.
Those are a few things that immediately come to mind.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For me, in addition to all those things @SpartanWolverine said, is how much independence and autonomy MSUCOM gives us as students. We have the freedom to attend lecture or not, and basically learn things the way it works best for you. They kind of trust us to know what we think works best for our study habits, but also have all the resources at our disposal if we choose to be more into going to lecture/working in teams/talking one on one with professors. And you get all the things that come along with a big public state-funded school, including all of the school pride/sports/Big Ten campus feel. I'm not sure how exactly you'd articulate that in a secondary, but for me personally that way of letting us "do our thing" was super appealing.

Some schools I interviewed at really pushed forced teamwork down our throats, and it just didn't click with me.

The two biggest factors for me personally were the resources to your disposal as being a Big 10 school, and the fact that it's Canadian-friendly. It's also a great school for primary care if that's what you're thinking about going into.

Hey femme, does your first name start with an 'A'? :p

The two biggest factors for me personally were the resources to your disposal as being a Big 10 school, and the fact that it's Canadian-friendly. It's also a great school for primary care if that's what you're thinking about going into.

Hey femme, does your first name start with an 'A'? :p
LOL yes it does, I guess I'm up to 5 people who have me figured out :)

Currently a first year here at MSU. I had my doubts about the school when I interviewed here, but since starting school, I literally loved every second of it. I know this sounds really tacky to say, but I really have met some super amazing people. Surprisingly, I "clicked" with a lot more people than I would have imagined. I have very different experiences/social preferences from most people, but for some reason I was able to sit down with anyone in my program and have a great conversation about something totally random.

As a big city person, I hated the idea of living in lansing for 4 years of my life, but now with all these amazing people around me, I actually find it to be not that different than when I was living in a 6 million people mega city.

I came in not knowing a single soul in Michigan and almost died of nervousness the day before orientation. But it turned out more amazing than I could have ever hoped for. I think the key is just to open up to people and give everyone a chance to get to know you and for you to know him/her. Just because this person doesn't seem like someone you typically hangs out with in your pre-medical school life doesn't mean you should dismiss them as non-compatible. Everyone has been selected based on their intelligence and awesomeness, so it's very likely you will find something fascinating about every single person if you wanted to.

So, apply here mini premeds!! It's awesome here!

PS- who is everyone?? I can't figure out a single sdn-er! Reveal yourselves!! (Not meant to be perverted at all)

Reactions: 3 users
Well, I'll bite and help do some of your homework for you... :p
1) One of my favorite thing about the school is its presence around the state and beyond. We have three preclerkship sites (East Lansing, Detroit, and Macomb). We have 22 clinical training hospitals to choose from all over the state. And we have 25 Canadian students in each class to help spread the DO world into Canada (in theory, at least. In practice they add some very strong students to the class.).
2) Being a part of one of the largest universities in the country gets you access to tons of research opportunities.
3) There are a handful of interesting dual degree programs (DO/PhD, DO/MPH, DO/MBA).
4) We have a network of nearly 2,000 affiliated residency positions through our Statewide Campus System.
Those are a few things that immediately come to mind.
Ah, that hurts a little ;) I'm trying to learn about the intangibles you can't get from the website which someone who isn't from the state and hasn't visited the school wouldn't know

#2 is 250 words not 500. :)
Received secondary! yay!

Submitted the secondary. Let's see how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey everyone! Current 2nd year student who is happy to answer any questions. Good luck to everyone applying!

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

Hey everyone! Current 2nd year student who is happy to answer any questions. Good luck to everyone applying!

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

I was going through hte website and saw that there's a lot of opportunity for research. Are there any public health disciplines for research available to students?

Feels surreal it has already been a year since I was in your shoes hoping I'd get accepted here.

What kinds of letters is everyone using for MSU? I have three very strong science letters so far, though I remember a couple people a while back saying that while MSU doesn't require a DO letter, they "recommend" or "highly recommend" one.
They highly recommend a DO letter. I say this because A) Anne Snyder told me and B) They really want to see multiple "interactions" with osteopathic medicine. You'll see from the secondary the more boxes you check, the stronger your commitment to the school looks. Having a DO letter bolsters this. Hope this helps! PM me if you have any specific questions.

Is there a way for them to accept more than two letters or is that a hard limit?

I sent in two additional letters after I already submitted my secondary and even interviewed (so I sent a total of 5). They were acknowledged as received in the admissions portal, but whether they had any impact on my application or were even looked at I could not say.

I was going through hte website and saw that there's a lot of opportunity for research. Are there any public health disciplines for research available to students?
There are lots of opportunities available for research but they are dependent on you to go out and set up on your own. The MSUCOM name gets you some recognition but research isn't something the school pushes in my opinion.

If research is something you want to pursue it is definitely available, however it really is up to you to do all the work in setting it up. Don't expect much help or info from the school. I think they honestly could do a better job of promoting research opportunities or ways to get involved.

Would "Why MSUCOM?" be an acceptable answer for the first question? Also 500 words seems like a LOT for that question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question, do we have to specify to the school what letters we wanted counted as our 3? I uploaded 6 letters to aacomas but I know MSUCOM only allows a max of 5, do they just choose which ones or do I have to let them know!

Is it okay to leave the additional information prompt empty?

Submitted secondary today . Canadian mcat511low GPA 3.2. Hoping for miracle

I left it blank mainly because i felt my app didn't have any discrepancies that were worth explaining which I feel is what that prompt is really for.

I used that section to write more about why I want to go to MSU, and am a good fit, etc. It's not necessary, but I felt it gave me an extra paragraph to get everything out there. Of course, don't just repeat yourself if you already covered what you want in the required questions.

So a complete email means that they have received all of our materials and met all the requirements for the LOR, right?

Hey y'all, also another OMS1 here willing to answer any questions on here or via PM. SDN was an amazing resource for me during the application cycle and im looking to pay it forward. My apologies if it takes me a while to get back to you. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Application complete 6/20, good luck everyone! Wolverine here who would be happy to go green for med school. Excited to hear back.

Hi all,

For the clinical experiences section of the secondary, is it necessary to input all clinical experiences from my primary? I am assuming they want the same information again?

last year...II's started today

Sorry to ask a dumb question...but when people write " II's" do they mean secondaries? And what do you mean II's started? Like they start looking at them?

Sorry to ask a dumb question...but when people write " II's" do they mean secondaries? And what do you mean II's started? Like they start looking at them?

II means interview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk