2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Thought i'd ask, is it worth sending my secondary this late?
507 MCAT, 3.84cGPA
Also running kind of tight on money now :(

Complete 7/26 and no word yet.... Hmm it definitely doesn't seem like great news...... Hahah

Reactions: 1 user
Thought i'd ask, is it worth sending my secondary this late?
507 MCAT, 3.84cGPA
Also running kind of tight on money now :(

I’ve been seeing a lot of people send in apps around this time. I think I read somewhere that after thanksgiving it’s too late, so now may still be an okay time to send it in. However, you may not get an interview until later in the cycle. If you’re willing to be patient, then I think you should apply!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
So PCOM doesn’t accept non-academic related updates... ugh

has anyone gotten an interview here with an MCAT of 497-500?
Couple years back my friend received an II with a MCAT score of 499 and 3.5~ GPA. I think it was later in the cycle as well, she ended up getting waitlisted. She matriculated into a different medical school.

Since the last wave of acceptances were given on October 10th, do you guys think the next wave will be next week?

has anyone gotten an interview here with an MCAT of 497-500?
I had an interview at PCOM 2 years ago with a 496 MCAT. I was later rejected, but I think that was because honestly I wasn't prepared for the interview. I reapplied this year with a 508 and was accepted.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had an interview at PCOM 2 years ago with a 496 MCAT. I was later rejected, but I think that was because honestly I wasn't prepared for the interview. I reapplied this year with a 508 and was accepted.
That is awesome, congrats on the acceptance! When you applied first time around, when did you hear back for an II? Also, how did you approach the interview differently this time?

I got in with a 500. PCOM isn't as stats oriented as other schools are. I've heard an early app is most important.

I got in with a 500. PCOM isn't as stats oriented as other schools are. I've heard an early app is most important.

is your GPA above their average?
I agree with the fact they are not stats heavy, but I think they look for you to compensate in some way (high GPA, low MCAT or high MCAT, low GPA).

Complete 08/17 and hoping I get an interview :xf:

Does anybody know what their post interview acceptance rate looks like?

Does anybody know what their post interview acceptance rate looks like?

I don't remember the exact stats since their open house was like 6 months ago, but I believe it was around 55-60%. They didn't mention the numbers at my interview day

Last edited:
That is awesome, congrats on the acceptance! When you applied first time around, when did you hear back for an II? Also, how did you approach the interview differently this time?
Last time I submitted my primary in June and my secondary in August, and my interview was scheduled for early October. This year I submitted my primary in June, my secondary in July, and had my interview in late September.

is your GPA above their average?
I agree with the fact they are not stats heavy, but I think they look for you to compensate in some way (high GPA, low MCAT or high MCAT, low GPA).

Complete 08/17 and hoping I get an interview :xf:

Yes High GPA, but I think that's how most DO schools are except for the newest ones (and really because there's just so many opening recently).

For those accepted, did your portal change before getting the acceptance package?

Did anyone receive a military medical school symposium email? I'm assuming this is a mass email sent to all applicants?

With great reluctance, I'm withdrawing my acceptance at PCOM. Good luck everyone!

Yes High GPA, but I think that's how most DO schools are except for the newest ones (and really because there's just so many opening recently).
Just curious, any sub-125 section?

Interviewed this past Friday! Definitely my top pick school!

Just curious, any sub-125 section?

in 2 sections (124 each).

PCOM isn't heavy on MCAT scores.... they like a well-rounded applicant. They're easily ready to accept a student with a 500 and reject a student with a 508. That's why I always say the hardest part about getting into PCOM is getting that interview... it's really random here.

Reactions: 2 users

PCOM isn't heavy on MCAT scores.... they like a well-rounded applicant. They're easily ready to accept a student with a 500 and reject a student with a 508. That's why I always say the hardest part about getting into PCOM is getting that interview... it's really random here.
Yeah I have 90+ percentile MCAT and still hear zero back from pcom

Good to know! I was wondering because on their website, they say a "competitive applicant" doesn't have any subsection below 125. I guess it just means if you do have < 125 section(s), you should have something else to make up for it.

Ditto! 99% MCAT, still nothing from PCOM post secondary...

Why are you applying here with a 99% MCAT?!! Even 90%. Not saying our school is bad, but I'm sure that falls well within the range of any of the MD schools here, which are all considered better.

Why are you applying here with a 99% MCAT?!! Even 90%. Not saying our school is bad, but I'm sure that falls well within the range of any of the MD schools here, which are all considered better.
That guy might end up wearing crimson

Well, I'm a nontraditional applicant. My cGPA is low for med school, but got the high MCAT, high sGPA and LOTS of clinical experience. I love PCOM's location and have a couple of M1 friends there so applying just made sense. As a bonus, I usually test very well and am confident of doing well enough on my steps to get a good residency (I want to do primary care anyway). So it matters less where I go. I have applied to some MD schools as well, but would really love to get into PCOM (it would be like my 2nd or 3rd choice overall). Still, no love from the adcom yet!

Reactions: 3 users
Check your portals everyone, just saw that mine changed to "pay your admissions deposit"

Reactions: 2 users
Received acceptance letter today.

Interviewed: Oct 5

Wow that was super quick turnaround! Congrats! I hope that I hear back from PCOM this quickly after my interview!
Thanks!! I guess I just got lucky with the admission committee meeting! Good luck!

Wow that was super quick turnaround! Congrats! I hope that I hear back from PCOM this quickly after my interview!
Thanks!! I guess I just got lucky with the admission committee meeting! Good luck!

You're welcome! If you don't mind do you think you could tell me a little bit about the interview day? I looked at the College Information Book for details but it did not really specify -- "a 30 minute, open file interview with at least two members of the faculty committee on admissions, which may include an osteopathic physician, basic science professor, student, or admissions officer" is kind of vague.

You're welcome! If you don't mind do you think you could tell me a little bit about the interview day? I looked at the College Information Book for details but it did not really specify -- "a 30 minute, open file interview with at least two members of the faculty committee on admissions, which may include an osteopathic physician, basic science professor, student, or admissions officer" is kind of vague.
Sure! The interviews are the last part of the day. So I went at 12 and then had the tour, lunch, and Q&A. Then around 3:15 they started the interviews. They lasted roughly 30 min. I had two physicians who either taught or was the head of something at the school. It was very laid back. There were about 8 interviewees there on my day. Just know your personal statement, and the obvious questions like why medicine, why DO, etc. The way you answer kinda drives the conversation.

Has anyone who was complete late September receive an II? I'm just trying to gauge where they are in their applications so I can figure out whether or not mine was skipped over. Thanks

Has anyone who was complete late September receive an II? I'm just trying to gauge where they are in their applications so I can figure out whether or not mine was skipped over. Thanks
I applied early September and haven't heard back.

Early September, high gpa, high MCAT, pubs and thousands of clinical hours, and have not heard back.
My heart is crying