2017-2018 University of Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician?
(Limit: 350 words)

Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life.

"The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."
Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission.

Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession.
Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician? (Limit: 350 words)

2) Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life. (Limit: 350 words)

3) "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development.” Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission. (Limit: 350 words)

4) Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (Limit: 350 words)

These were the prompts from last cycle. Anyone here anything from them?

1) Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician? (Limit: 350 words)

2) Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life. (Limit: 350 words)

3) "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development.” Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission. (Limit: 350 words)

4) Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (Limit: 350 words)

These were the prompts from last cycle. Anyone here anything from them?

Not yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Just noticed that they require a physician's or clinical supervisor's LOR. Oops.

Just noticed that they require a physician's or clinical supervisor's LOR. Oops.
Oh no...Missed that too and already submitted primary >.< Is it an absolute requirement?

Oh no...Missed that too and already submitted primary >.< Is it an absolute requirement?

I realized this in Spring and called admissions office. They are strong on the requirement. It's new.

Secondary just received!
@gyngyn
Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician?

Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life.

"The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."
Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission.

Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else getting a "403 - You are not authorized to view this page" error when they try to pay?

Just got off the phone with them, they're aware of it and are working with their developers to get it fixed. It might not be up until tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Secondary Received 7/6/17 and will submit 7/6/17.

I assume I will not have the 403 error discussed as I am a FAP recipient.

Good luck!

Edit: Did Submit 7/6/17, no errors for me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else getting a "403 - You are not authorized to view this page" error when they try to pay?

Just got off the phone with them, they're aware of it and are working with their developers to get it fixed. It might not be up until tomorrow.

thx for making the call! yep this just happened to me too

Keep getting a 500 error. Won't let me save any of my essays rip

Heads up, I was just able to submit the payment. Get those secondaries in!

Secondary submitted.
Anyone have any general advice for an OOS, URM (Mexican, know spanish) applicanat with meh stats on getting in? I applied to this school because of the region and their heavy mission in fighting health inequities, which I feel I resonate strongly with based on my EC's. Will my OOS kill my chances?
@gyngyn @ anyone OOS who goes here lol

Hi everyone,

A question here regarding rec letters for this secondary and others as well.

I have been waiting for a rec letter from science faculty #2 and he has just been delaying and delaying for weeks, i have sent him 3/4 reminder e-mails and also visited him in person to remind him as well. The deadline was supposed to be 7/1 but it's already 7/13 and I still don't have anything.

So my question, does the science rec letter #2 have more priority or does the two week to return a secondary have more priority?

Thanks!

Worth to appy with a 501 and 3.6/3.4 gpa?

Their average is a 506 and 3.6 if I'm not mistaken. I'de say if you have the EC's and letters that make up for your weaknesses go for it if you can swing the extra $$.

Hi everyone,

A question here regarding rec letters for this secondary and others as well.

I have been waiting for a rec letter from science faculty #2 and he has just been delaying and delaying for weeks, i have sent him 3/4 reminder e-mails and also visited him in person to remind him as well. The deadline was supposed to be 7/1 but it's already 7/13 and I still don't have anything.

So my question, does the science rec letter #2 have more priority or does the two week to return a secondary have more priority?

Thanks!
The secondary is the most important! Also, it seems like your science prof is not really that serious. If you can find another one that can hurry up and do it, then go for it. Good luck!

Secondary submitted.
Anyone have any general advice for an OOS, URM (Mexican, know spanish) applicanat with meh stats on getting in? I applied to this school because of the region and their heavy mission in fighting health inequities, which I feel I resonate strongly with based on my EC's. Will my OOS kill my chances?
@gyngyn @ anyone OOS who goes here lol

The school is pretty OOS friendly. I am a current OOS student, and my class is 33ish% OOS. They are able to accept up to 50% OOS. Feel free to PM if you have specific questions.

This secondary pissses me off lol

Is anyone else having the "Application Fee" tab marked incomplete even after paying and having a transaction date/number listed?

Worth to appy with a 501 and 3.6/3.4 gpa?
if your ECs and LORs are stellar i would say yes.
are you URM? if so, definitely yes.
the average MCAT last year was 506 (for md only matriculants).
514 for mstp.

Fellow IS applicant cheering you on here.
518, 3.92 IS.. no secondary.. should I be worried??? Had friends that applied same time as me receive the secondary 10 days ago.

518, 3.92 IS.. no secondary.. should I be worried??? Had friends that applied same time as me receive the secondary 10 days ago.
They don't screen (except maybe stats) so you /should/ receive a secondary since your MCAT/gpa would be much higher than any potential screen anyways.
Maybe call to inquire

They don't screen (except maybe stats) so you /should/ receive a secondary since your MCAT/gpa would be much higher than any potential screen anyways.
Maybe call to inquire
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that today.

Ok y'all. The mystery ends here. The neurosis took over and I called admissions about my lack of secondary, despite most everyone's advice to "just chill, be patient, you'll get one." I thought, I've received secondaries from most every other school what are the odds I don't receive any from my IS institutions yet??

Whatdaya know, admissions office looks me up and says "Oh looks like we've sent you a secondary..." And I said "Look there's no way I missed it, I promise you"

Hotmail is apparently notorious for sucking, and they've had this happen in the past. They suggested I update my email address in AMCAS to a different one (not hotmail), and they'd resend it. And I called a SECOND TIME to make sure it worked when I updated, and she said it did, and she'd send the app right now.

Would recommend calling if you haven't received one yet! I was so afraid of being annoying, but now obviously really glad I called. She was very pleasant, too :)
Same thing happened to me! Guess who uses gmail now..? :)

Haven't received a secondary either and was going to contact to ask but I can't believe I missed the part in the FAQ that states "If you are accepted, you must receive your permanent residency status prior to the start of medical school. You may be in the process of obtaining your permanent residency status during the application process."

Guess that takes me out of the running. Good luck everyone else!

Haven't received a secondary either and was going to contact to ask but I can't believe I missed the part in the FAQ that states "If you are accepted, you must receive your permanent residency status prior to the start of medical school. You may be in the process of obtaining your permanent residency status during the application process."

Guess that takes me out of the running. Good luck everyone else!
Where does it say??

Maybe call to inquire
They do screen. I received an email from them last week saying that I won't receive any secondary until my mcat score is out.

UA servers have issues with outlook and hotmail. If you think you should have secondary, please call the admissions office. (520) 626-6214 or email [email protected]

Reactions: 2 users
How Canadian-friendly is UAZ Tucson? I'm really interested in this school, and have family in Arizona, so I'm wondering if it's worth applying as a Canadian. MSAR says they interviewed 65 internationals and only accepted 1, however, I've also heard that Canadians aren't classified as "International" in MSAR.

@UAZ COM-T Admissions or anyone else have any input?

How Canadian-friendly is UAZ Tucson? I'm really interested in this school, and have family in Arizona, so I'm wondering if it's worth applying as a Canadian. MSAR says they interviewed 65 internationals and only accepted 1, however, I've also heard that Canadians aren't classified as "International" in MSAR.

@UAZ COM-T Admissions or anyone else have any input?
we're really nice. People around campus and around town are very helpful. You should have no problem getting along with everyone.

we're really nice. People around campus and around town are very helpful. You should have no problem getting along with everyone.

Haha I don't doubt the student body and faculty is nice. I was referring to Interview and acceptance wise, is UAZ Canadian-friendly (i.e. do many Canadians get interview invites and acceptances, or is it only 1-2 per year).

Haha I don't doubt the student body and faculty is nice. I was referring to Interview and acceptance wise, is UAZ Canadian-friendly (i.e. do many Canadians get interview invites and acceptances, or is it only 1-2 per year).
if you're good, then being canadian shouldn't hurt you terribly. there is at least one member of the admissions committee who is canadian. they have also accepted one canadian md/phd student in previous years (that may be the student in the msar statistic you mentioned.)