2017-2018 University of Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just spoke with admissions and they said to expect to start hearing back in May. I also asked about waitlist movement and he said there was no waitlist movement in 2016, lots in 2017 and to expect minimal movement this year. :(

Members don't see this ad.

For all of you who have been rejected or waitlisted, don't give up hope. I applied 3 times and interviewed in December-ish to be rejected in April the first two times and then placed on the waitlist and accepted in May my third time. There is someone else in my class that applied 5 times. I know how disheartening it is to be drug along with those "we sent out acceptances today, but not to you" emails. The important thing is to not lose hope. If you were rejected, take a day or two to feel bad about it and then take a good hard look at your application and figure out where you are weak and spend the next few months improving. For some people that means research, shadowing, MCAT scores, etc. Just because you didn't get in your first few times doesn't mean you aren't good enough or won't make it in med school, it just means there were other applicants who stood out for whatever reason. Anyway, if anyone has questions about the school or application/re-application process I'm happy to help. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys looking to apply for next cycle. OOS with a 3.86 GPA and a 503 mcat. Going to apply as early as possible. Is there a shot for me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys looking to apply for next cycle. OOS with a 3.86 GPA and a 503 mcat. Going to apply as early as possible. Is there a shot for me?
I have very similar stats with a lot of professional medical, shadowing, and volunteering experience that I was able to discuss on my application. I was invited to interview but was not offered a seat this year. There is definitely a shot!

Hate to be that person but has anyone seen any waitlist movement? It's traffic day!

Lurker here becoming a commenter. I called the admissions office today, and they told me that they’ve had no movement from the waitlist as of yet. It seems like what DrGreyy said earlier about not expecting much movement this year is going to be true. From looking at other years, mid-May seems like the best chance for a lot of movement. Good luck to us though!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything or called recently?
I feel like a lot of schools are having movement in their wait lists except us :(

Has anyone heard anything or called recently?
I feel like a lot of schools are having movement in their wait lists except us :(

Haven't heard anything. I think our list hasn't moved because UA is waiting on the stellar applicants to decide, and those people are holding out for a spot at a top program somewhere. Idk for sure but it doesn't seem too unreasonable

Reactions: 1 users
none at all?!
Nope. I was surprised too, they basically said they will not provide any info on whether it has moved or if anything is expected. I really wish they were more transparent with the process like some other schools are, such as giving ranks or at least keeping the applicants somewhat updated with the process. Unfortunately, everything feels very ambiguous and I'm not sure if we should even expect to hear anything at this point in the game...

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. I was surprised too, they basically said they will not provide any info on whether it has moved or if anything is expected. I really wish they were more transparent with the process like some other schools are, such as giving ranks or at least keeping the applicants somewhat updated with the process. Unfortunately, everything feels very ambiguous and I'm not sure if we should even expect to hear anything at this point in the game...

I understand the frustration of applying to medical school completely. However, I think the vast majority (if not all) schools have a similar process. I don't know of any school that discloses ranks of candidates on waitlists. This isn't specific to Tucson at all, and in my experience Tucson has a very similar level of transparency compared to most schools. Almost all schools have a similar waitlist process (ie: candidates can be notified at any point until orientation). Best of luck....and keep in mind that immediately re-applying is not always the best option. Sometimes, you have to be honest about your application, get feedback from people, and take some time to make improvements. This is painful in the short-term, but could pay off in the long run.

They were willing to release info the last time I called which I want to say was about a month ago? I wonder what changed.

They were willing to release info the last time I called which I want to say was about a month ago? I wonder what changed.
I bet so many people are calling to ask that it may be becoming a hassle, which is understandable from their standpoint. Honestly, it may be best to just continue waiting and also begin working on your next steps in case this doesn't work out. You don't want to end up wasting time simply waiting when you could begin strengthening your app for future cycles. Not saying to give up, but rather just begin thinking about other things to fall back on. We are all in this together :nod:

It's been while...anyone heard anything? I was looking over the waitlist email the other day and it says that acceptances are typically sent out from late April up through mid June, so maybe it's not complete game over yet. I don't know, it something to keep us motivated for a little longer ;)

It's been while...anyone heard anything? I was looking over the waitlist email the other day and it says that acceptances are typically sent out from late April up through mid June, so maybe it's not complete game over yet. I don't know, it something to keep us motivated for a little longer ;)
I interviewed in early March and I was told by the Dean at the little welcome orientation that someone made it off waitlist 5 days before school started last year.

I interviewed in early March and I was told by the Dean at the little welcome orientation that someone made it off waitlist 5 days before school started last year.

That’s true. I actually met her during my interview. She had already gone through redoing her MCAT and was about to reapply to the following cycle. She keeps my Hope up through this.

Last edited:

That’s true. I actually met her during my interview. She had already gone through redoing her MCAT and was about reapply to the following cycle. She keeps my Hope up through this.

That's so awesome for her! I guess anything can happen at any moment. Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

cross posted

Update from UA-Tucson: "Thank you for your continued patience. The UA COM waitlist has not moved since May and we do not anticipate much movement in the coming weeks. It is unlikely that we will offer additional acceptances during this cycle."

welp.

cross posted

Update from UA-Tucson: "Thank you for your continued patience. The UA COM waitlist has not moved since May and we do not anticipate much movement in the coming weeks. It is unlikely that we will offer additional acceptances during this cycle."

welp.

guess a lot of people wanted to go to UA this year :/

welp.

guess a lot of people wanted to go to UA this year :/

Ugh, just got the news too... Oh well, keep your head up you guys. It's time to work ours butts off for the next cycle and hopefully we will have better luck in the future. This is not an ideal outcome, but let's use this as an opportunity to grow stronger!