2023-2024 Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Arizona - Tucson Secondary Essay Prompts
  1. Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician? (Limit: 350 words)
  2. Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life. (Limit: 350 words)
  3. "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing healthcare to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development." Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission. (Limit: 350 words)
  4. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (Limit: 350 words)
  5. Share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (no limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
oos secondary received on 7/7

1. Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician? (Limit: 350 words)
  2. Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life. (Limit: 350 words)
  3. "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing healthcare to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."
  4. Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission. (Limit: 350 words)
  5. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (Limit: 350 words)
  6. Share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (no limit)

Reactions: 1 user

3. "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing healthcare to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."
  4. Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission. (Limit: 350 words)
  5. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (Limit: 350 words)
  6. Share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (no limit)
@wysdoc

Hey @0003 I think there are only 5 questions (because the lead-in to #3 was really long and the actual question connected with it you listed as #4)
Does that look right to you? let me know

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @0003 I think there are only 5 questions (because the lead-in to #3 was really long and the actual question connected with it you listed as #4)
Yep, there are 5 Q’s.

totally right! that's my bad

Reactions: 1 users
Already paid the fee and just realized I don't meet the prereq requirements... they require 2 semesters of biochem and 2 semesters of physio. And no calc, ochem, or physics required. Do you guys meet the prereqs? Do you think it's even worth applying still? Our premed track didn't recommend this many semesters of each :(
lmao same so im not even gonna submit the secondary, their requirements are whack

lmao same so im not even gonna submit the secondary, their requirements are whack
Yeaaaa. Sucks that its my state school. I put those prereqs as future enrollment 🤣. If I don't get in, I wont bother taking em

Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (Limit: 350 words)
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but for this prompt, it's asking about our experiences engaging with diverse populations, not our own diversity correct? Are they using engaging as an adjective?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but for this prompt, it's asking about our experiences engaging with diverse populations, not our own diversity correct? Are they using engaging as an adjective?
I understood it as a verb, I agree it's an interesting way of wording it haha.

Do you think I can put Epidemiology as the "Upper-Level" course? Or one of my Bio classes or OChem? I'm pissed I paid the fee so I'm submitting no matter what just trying to figure out what has the potential of best meeting requirements :cryi:

Do you think I can put Epidemiology as the "Upper-Level" course? Or one of my Bio classes or OChem? I'm pissed I paid the fee so I'm submitting no matter what just trying to figure out what has the potential of best meeting requirements :cryi:
Upper level courses will have a course number starting with a 3 or a 4.
You can use whatever course you have that matches that

Upper level courses will have a course number starting with a 3 or a 4.
You can use whatever course you have that matches that
I think they were a bit specific on the types of courses they accepted when I called and emailed. They referred me to this link which may be useful UA College of Medicine-Tucson Prerequisites | The A Center

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks @Lo&Behold
This med school also requires a year of physiology, which most applicants haven’t taken, so unless you are quite interested in UA Tucson and might take that this year, you might not meet their prereqs :(
For sure, its my alma mater and they have a dedicated physiology major, which may be the reason behind it. But the upper-division requirement was a little concerning even for me xD. After contacting them to clarify, they let me know that one of my other courses qualified for their upper-div requirement, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

for the question where it asks "have you applied to the mdphd program" is that meaning in the past or like am i currently applying for it. I have not applied in the past but am right now but am confused as to how to answer this question.

for the question where it asks "have you applied to the mdphd program" is that meaning in the past or like am i currently applying for it. I have not applied in the past but am right now but am confused as to how to answer this question.
If it doesn't say 'previously' I would assume it is asking if you applied to it this cycle. If you wanna be certain, give them a call tomorrow.

To all those applying now and worried about the prereqs, I'm an M1 here and did NOT meet any of those requirements. I majored in Neuroscience and used all of my upper div courses that were somewhat related to the respective subjects and they all passed! You don't need to take dedicated Anatomy/physiology or genetics courses, as long as you've taken something that included a bit of each. Hope this helps!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
To all those applying now and worried about the prereqs, I'm an M1 here and did NOT meet any of those requirements. I majored in Neuroscience and used all of my upper div courses that were somewhat related to the respective subjects and they all passed! You don't need to take dedicated Anatomy/physiology or genetics courses, as long as you've taken something that included a bit of each. Hope this helps!
panchooo you're GOATed for this info tbh

IS II received! Go wildcats!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
IS II received! Bear Down! My undergrad institution and top choice :)

Just got the interview hold email (IS), good luck fellas 🤝🏽

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
OOS Interview Hold.
Are the other people with interview holds out of state?

OOS ii Hold. Any info on likelihood of getting off this?

I was complete 7/13 and haven't heard anything. I'm wondering if this is a pre-II R :confused:

• Care
What does ii hold signify usually
That your app is still in the running. I think they retake a look at your app and compare it to others in the upcoming weeks to decide if they want to give you an II.