2017-2018 University of Central Florida

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL Does the "AORTA - EFI" just mean the application has passed a preliminary screen for basic academic metrics, or is it a rather extensive review of all aspects of the application?

I apologize if this information is not typically shared. I figured I would ask though.

Thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Basic academic metrics. Minimum MCAT, required courses, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
@REL Does the "AORTA - EFI" just mean the application has passed a preliminary screen for basic academic metrics, or is it a rather extensive review of all aspects of the application?

I apologize if this information is not typically shared. I figured I would ask though.

Thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The AORTA review is a much deeper review of all of your activities, background, skills, motivations, "fit" for our program, and much more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL
I have a question.
I currently have 5 LOR below
1. Immunology Professor
2. Chemistry Professor
3. Research PI
4. Physician I shadowed
5. Mathematics professor.
I have already submit the secondary application. My question is will adcom start reviewing my application before they receive one more LOR from my English professor?
 
@REL
I have a question.
I currently have 5 LOR below
1. Immunology Professor
2. Chemistry Professor
3. Research PI
4. Physician I shadowed
5. Mathematics professor.
I have already submit the secondary application. My question is will adcom start reviewing my application before they receive one more LOR from my English professor?
Likely the above will be enough to complete your file. We often use the PI letter as a swing letter if it talks about who you are. They often give us enough.
 
I have a LOR question- I finished all my other secondaries so I might apply, but I have a premed committee/composite letter that is a committee overview letter but also has each individual letter that was submitted in a PDF. In my case its essentially 7 letters in one file.

I have 3PIs, one professor, one MD, one character letter, and then final committee letter. These letters would be the exact same ones I would submit for the character letters, but they are just in the same file as my composite letter PDF

Would I have to resubmit my individual letters into AMCAS to fulfill the character letter part even if they are within my committee packet? If thats the case I probably can't apply as it would be too long to contact them etc. 🙁
 
I have a LOR question- I finished all my other secondaries so I might apply, but I have a premed committee/composite letter that is a committee overview letter but also has each individual letter that was submitted in a PDF. In my case its essentially 7 letters in one file.

I have 3PIs, one professor, one MD, one character letter, and then final committee letter. These letters would be the exact same ones I would submit for the character letters, but they are just in the same file as my composite letter PDF

Would I have to resubmit my individual letters into AMCAS to fulfill the character letter part even if they are within my committee packet? If thats the case I probably can't apply as it would be too long to contact them etc. 🙁

We don't really care whether they are in a single package or all individual, just as long as they are signed and meet the types of letter that the committee is seeking.
 
@REL
What is UCF's policy on interviewing the same applicant a second time, assuming that he or she has taken steps to improve his/her application? Just wondering if (praying that) I still have a shot here.

Thank you for your time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@REL
What is UCF's policy on interviewing the same applicant a second time, assuming that he or she has taken steps to improve his/her application? Just wondering if (praying that) I still have a shot here.

Thank you for your time.
Each year is a different pool. As long as a reapplicant continues positive progression and is competitive within that pool they have a chance.
 
Each year is a different pool. As long as a reapplicant continues positive progression and is competitive within that pool they have a chance.
@Rel

Is there any update about when the first IIs will be going out? Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
 
Mee too!!! Hmmm, if I were to hazard a guess it would be in the ~30-40% area....


Here is a quote from REL a few years ago saying that those on EFI have a guesstimated chance of getting an II between 30-40%, I don't think being on this list is a bad thing, and I imagine that even the first wave of II's might be on this list right now and will be hearing from UCF shortly.


Care to weigh in on this @REL? Is this information still relatively accurate?
 
Here is a quote from REL a few years ago saying that those on EFI have a guesstimated chance of getting an II between 30-40%, I don't think being on this list is a bad thing, and I imagine that even the first wave of II's might be on this list right now and will be hearing from UCF shortly.


Care to weigh in on this @REL? Is this information still relatively accurate?

Last year we invited ~440 to interview and the EFI pool was in the vicinity of 1400-1600, so I would say that 30-40% is still a good range.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes and it will do so for 4-5 minutes after the even hours of the day. That indicates that the system is refreshing. Wait a minute or two and all will be well.


@REL it says on the secondary the review can take up to 15 business days.. Does that mean UCF will send you a rejection after 15 business days if you don't reach AORTA status? So rejections have already been sent out to some applicants?
 
@REL it says on the secondary the review can take up to 15 business days.. Does that mean UCF will send you a rejection after 15 business days if you don't reach AORTA status? So rejections have already been sent out to some applicants?

We only send Supplemental Apps to those who meet the advertised minimum reqs so most of those who are reviewed by AORTA are reviewed for the other qualities that we want to see in our classroom and graduating physicians. Most of those who are reviewed meet those desires at various levels so many more are EFI than rejected. None-the-less over 200 have not made it to EFI.
 
We only send Supplemental Apps to those who meet the advertised minimum reqs so most of those who are reviewed by AORTA are reviewed for the other qualities that we want to see in our classroom and graduating physicians. Most of those who are reviewed meet those desires at various levels so many more are EFI than rejected. None-the-less over 200 have not made it to EFI.


Great thank you! I was just curious if I would definitely see movement within those 15 days (i.e. I'd either receive a rejection or aorta and there isn't a third possibility of just sitting under review for a few months). I love how transparent UCF is! Really helps during this incredibly long process!
 
Congrats! When did you get your EFI status?

UCF is literally 15 min from me 😳 would kill for a chance to interview

Thanks! I'll be honest I lost track of my EFI status. I'd say around a month ago. And yep I'm living 15 mins away as well!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We only send Supplemental Apps to those who meet the advertised minimum reqs so most of those who are reviewed by AORTA are reviewed for the other qualities that we want to see in our classroom and graduating physicians. Most of those who are reviewed meet those desires at various levels so many more are EFI than rejected. None-the-less over 200 have not made it to EFI.

How do they decide who to interview from the EFI pool? Is it like a ranked list or random?