2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we need to rank schools in order to prematch on Nov 15?

No. You only need to rank schools prior to the match. The deadline is sometime in late January. It's probably a good idea to rank them now. That way, if you forget or fall into a coma or whatever, you can still match somewhere. You can change your order as many times as you want prior to the deadline and the schools have no idea how or when you're ranking them. If you don't rank schools, you will not match, even if you only interviewed at one school and prematched there.

Reactions: 1 user
II today, completed video secondary late September

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What dates were available!?

I honestly didn't even ask, they gave me a date for next week and I said okay. Really surprised to get an interview from here but I'm excited.

I honestly didn't even ask, they gave me a date for next week and I said okay. Really surprised to get an interview from here but I'm excited.

Congrats! They are very picky! So you must be an excellent applicant!

You're spot on. You will not have a clock available while reading, but I assure you, the prompts only require like 20 seconds to read, and you'll have way more time than you need to read.

Many of the MMIs are completed in our standardized clinical patient evaluation rooms which should have a clock in them. Other times they're completed in the offices of various faculty members, and may or may not (probably won't) have a clock. Regardless, you shouldn't be hyper focused on the time. 6 minutes is more than enough time to come up with a satisfactory response, and silence at the end if you've run out of things you want to say is totally normal, and is not counted against you. Once you hear the knock, finish your sentence, thank your interviewer, and step out.
If you take 20 seconds to read it, can you use up the extra time to answer the prompt or do you have to wait until 2 min is up?

Also, it sounds like for the group problem you have 20 minutes. Do you write an essay about a question or something? What types of questions are these - like ethical or more like finding a solution to solve a problem that's presented

If you take 20 seconds to read it, can you use up the extra time to answer the prompt or do you have to wait until 2 min is up?

Also, it sounds like for the group problem you have 20 minutes. Do you write an essay about a question or something? What types of questions are these - like ethical or more like finding a solution to solve a problem that's presented

During the prompt reading you are outside of the room, so if you finish early you still have to wait to enter.

I'm not sure what the questions are for the group exercise. Regardless, it's not about your ability to answer the question or write the essay, it's your ability to work within a group.

just now got the secondary... lol is there still a point to doing it?

Reactions: 4 users
just now got the secondary... lol is there still a point to doing it?

They got back to me within a week of me submitting the secondary. If they sent you one, then you are definitely still in the running : D

My pen from dell broke today...let’s see if it means anything

Just got the secondary invite too and was complete 6/27!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Previous lurker who created an account just a few minutes ago to give some hope:

Interview invite less than an hour ago! Only one date offered (didn't ask about others): Nov 30th
Application complete: end of June
Video Secondary Received: Oct 4
Video Secondary Complete: Oct 5

So, yep, keep that hope alive for a while longer!

Reactions: 3 users
This was my very first interview and I was still very rusty. Fingers crossed for here

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone who has interviewed here: Do they do a file review on interview day?
I think I might have to take one more Bio class in the spring if I'm accepted in order to hit their minimum prereqs if they don't count Biochem toward Biology credit hours. (edit to say: I'm a physics major, so I've only taken the bare min. in bio).

I think I might have to take one more Bio class in the spring if I'm accepted in order to hit their minimum prereqs if they don't count Biochem toward Biology credit hours. (edit to say: I'm a physics major, so I've only taken the bare min. in bio).
I know my interviewer had read my file but she did necessarily "review" it with me during my interview.

My interviewer told me that the only thing he had been given was the primary TMDSAS personal statement (i.e. he did not have the other two TMDSAS essays or anything else from my file).

Anyone want to speculate about pre-matches? Have all calls been made for this round? If not, will tomorrow be the last day? What percent of first round pre-matches have gone out?

Some facts: last year three people on SDN reported prematches, none of which were on the 15th. This year two people reported prematches on the 15th but none today. There is also one person on Reddit that I saw report a Dell prematch. Also yesterday.

Anyone want to speculate about pre-matches? Have all calls been made for this round? If not, will tomorrow be the last day? What percent of first round pre-matches have gone out?

Some facts: last year three people on SDN reported prematches, none of which were on the 15th. This year two people reported prematches on the 15th but none today. There is also one person on Reddit that I saw report a Dell prematch. Also yesterday.

Tough to say, but from one legal mind to another, I sincerely hope that you get the call soon!!!

Hmm I didn't remember you were a lawyer. I'm not sure if their small class of 50 can bear two lawyers. Haha. Now I'm less optimistic.

Whose to say that when you get the call and accept, you won't be the only one in the class. ;)

Whose to say that when you get the call and accept, you won't be the only one in the class. ;)

Fair point. If they want a student with a certain characteristic in their class, they probably need to admit more than one of said student to assure one matriculates.

Last edited:
Not all prematch offers have gone out because the Dean likes to call the students

Last year they had a similar number of prematches as this year. The folks that got an early acceptance just didn't post online. The dean calls every person that's accepted, and he's a busy guy, and doesn't have time to call 30 people on the first day.

The exact number of prematches is a lot harder to figure out, but, anecdotally, about 20 of the 50 students in the 2021 class were prematches. A lot of people that were originally added to the facebook group early on ended up attending a different school, since they're the type of applicants that get a ton of acceptances.

I'd send a short email letting them know that you are an interviewee, and just want to make sure you have all the pre-reqs completed. Not having all the pre-reqs may be the sort of thing that they can't overlook due to university policies, etc.

Last year they had a similar number of prematches as this year. The folks that got an early acceptance just didn't post online. The dean calls every person that's accepted, and he's a busy guy, and doesn't have time to call 30 people on the first day.

The exact number of prematches is a lot harder to figure out, but, anecdotally, about 20 of the 50 students in the 2021 class were prematches. A lot of people that were originally added to the facebook group early on ended up attending a different school, since they're the type of applicants that get a ton of acceptances.
Do most people who don’t prematch match or are they coming off the waitlist?

I'd send a short email letting them know that you are an interviewee, and just want to make sure you have all the pre-reqs completed. Not having all the pre-reqs may be the sort of thing that they can't overlook due to university policies, etc.

Thanks. Good advice. I think I'll do that. I'll take another course if I have to, but since I'm a non-trad paying for classes out of pocket....

My interviewer told me that the only thing he had been given was the primary TMDSAS personal statement (i.e. he did not have the other two TMDSAS essays or anything else from my file).

Super helpful. One of the "mistakes" I made on a previous interview was assuming the interviewer had read my file. The first of the two interviewers at that school did and indicated as such, but it didn't occur to me until AFTER I met with the second interviewer at that school that I talked as if he knew about the things that I was referencing from my file. ::Face Palm::

I really wish that there was a way to know when Dell is done giving out their first batch of prematches. Has anyone heard any more news?

Do most people who don’t prematch match or are they coming off the waitlist?

There were only 10 or so people that were added the facebook group right around the time of the match, so I'm not sure what ended up happening with other people that should have matched. A fair chunk of our classes came off the waitlist, like 15 or 20, with a bunch getting accepted in May / June.

DELL say something or I'm giving up on you.....

Jk i'll never give up on you Dell bb. But it's getting kinda late for not even getting a secondary right?

DELL say something or I'm giving up on you.....

Jk i'll never give up on you Dell bb. But it's getting kinda late for not even getting a secondary right?

Yes its getting late. However, they did say on my interview day last week that they will be interviewing all the way through mid-january and are making sure to reserve spots to give those people with late interviews a fair shake.

As a side note, I loved Dell and its my top choice. If you get a secondary or interview, be yourself and relax. They place a fair amount of emphasis on how well you fit with their school and mission.

Anyone hear any feedback from current students on how it is rotating as an M2?
Seems like an aggressive timeline, but that's one of the things appealing to me about the school.

Anyone hear any feedback from current students on how it is rotating as an M2?
Seems like an aggressive timeline, but that's one of the things appealing to me about the school.

That new hospital though. State of the art, Out of this world and ++++ cuz M2s rotating there get free meals from the hospital cafeteria.

I be like

tumblr_ou3baa2Hz01vbooiso1_500.gif

Folks who have interviewed here: What is the schedule like in the afternoon? I have another interview the next day, and may have to dip out at 2:45 or 3pm to catch a flight. Does anyone remember what the last half hour of the day was like?

:)

Folks who have interviewed here: What is the schedule like in the afternoon? I have another interview the next day, and may have to dip out at 2:45 or 3pm to catch a flight. Does anyone remember what the last half hour of the day was like?

:)

It's been a while, but I believe it wrapped up with various folks from the administration speaking to the group. I enjoyed it (though I enjoyed everything about Dell), but if you had to leave a bit early I don't think it would have been a big deal.