2017-2018 University of Texas - Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Folks who have interviewed here: What is the schedule like in the afternoon? I have another interview the next day, and may have to dip out at 2:45 or 3pm to catch a flight. Does anyone remember what the last half hour of the day was like?
:)

That might be cutting it very close depending on whether you do the tours in the morning and interview/group session/MMI in the afternoon.

If you are scheduled to do the interviews/group/MMI in the morning before lunch, then you can cut the tours short and leave to catch your plane.

But if you scheduled to do the AM tours before lunch, then according to what I see on my schedule (afternoon interviews, etc), my MMI (last part of the interview/sesssion/MMI) was scheduled for 2PM.

So my suggestion is either you make a later flight or you email admissions, tell them your predicament, and ask for afternoon tours.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That might be cutting it very close depending on whether you do the tours in the morning and interview/group session/MMI in the afternoon.

If you are scheduled to do the interviews/group/MMI in the morning before lunch, then you can cut the tours short and leave to catch your plane.

But if you scheduled to do the AM tours before lunch, then according to what I see on my schedule (afternoon interviews, etc), my MMI (last part of the interview/sesssion/MMI) was scheduled for 2PM.

So my suggestion is either you make a later flight or you email admissions, tell them your predicament, and ask for afternoon tours.

I interviewed in the morning so I forgot about this. But now that you mention it I remember that those who interviewed in the afternoon got done either at or slightly after 3:00.

That new hospital though. State of the art, Out of this world and ++++ cuz M2s rotating there get free meals from the hospital cafeteria.

I be like

tumblr_ou3baa2Hz01vbooiso1_500.gif

Didn't know that! Adding another item to the "pro" list for Dell!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get a secondary or interview, be yourself and relax. They place a fair amount of emphasis on how well you fit with their school and mission.

To all those who have been invited to an interview, I'd like to add to the bolded/underlined quote. Yes, it's true Dell wants students to fit their school and mission.

BUT, from my pre-med perspective and interview experience, Dell also want to see leaders/people who take the initiative with a dash of humor mixed in.

In a nut shell, at the interview, if you are a natural extrovert/affable/magnanimous/cooperative and display a sense of humor, then it will be advantageous to be yourself. Dell personnel will take notice.

However, if you are a natural introvert/shy/wall-flower/quiet, then being yourself a the interview will be a disadvantage. You must be ready to show Dell personnel why they should extend an offer to you. Put aside your natural instincts and be ready to go all in. Be gracious, friendly, cooperative, and respectful without being domineering. It's not easy, but if you can do this, then you will increase your odds of getting a call from Dean Johnston.

GL!!

Omg.... Just got the call from Dell

Reactions: 6 users
I hope you did a happy dance. While still on the phone. Because that's what adults do. I swear.

...I sure did, got the call from Clay Johnston last Wednesday and I def did a happy dance with tears in my eyes. This was my #1 choice. :D

Reactions: 5 users
Oops. Forgot to put that in my OP!! Dean Johnston's voice was music to my ears!!
Congrats! That's amazing! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed? Thanks :)
Same to anyone else whose been accepted and wouldn't mind sharing :D

Thx. Interviewed 1st week of October...

Interviewed in Aug

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an II yesterday for Dec 7th. Other date available was Dec 14th.

Reactions: 1 users
4828BDC6-65C6-4C83-B724-43FC9075C127.jpeg
Dell...cmon now don’t send hundreds of neurotic applicants a newsletter with that subject line.

Reactions: 6 users
Any current student willing to pm me about need based aid at Dell. Is it separate from merit?

Last edited:
Super longtime lurker, thanks for all the helpful comments the past few months yall. I just got II today for December 14!

Reactions: 3 users
Any OOSers receive acceptances yet? If so, when, and when did you interview?

Just curious - what did you guys think of this school? Top choice in Texas?

Just curious - what did you guys think of this school? Top choice in Texas?
Objectively speaking, I think it’s safe to say that it’s not the *best* school in Texas(at least not yet).

However, they’re clearly a mission-driven school, and their mission closely aligns with what I want in a med school/career. That along with some other personal reasons (family, friends, etc.) in addition to the subjective feeling of “fit” that I had on interview day, is why I’m placing Dell as my current #1 choice.

Now if only they’d throw some love my way in return...

Objectively speaking, I think it’s safe to say that it’s not the *best* school in Texas(at least not yet).

However, they’re clearly a mission-driven school, and their mission closely aligns with what I want in a med school/career. That along with some other personal reasons (family, friends, etc.) in addition to the subjective feeling of “fit” that I had on interview day, is why I’m placing Dell as my current #1 choice.

Now if only they’d throw some love my way in return...
Gotcha. Did you get the vibe they’re trying to be the best in Texas, or more that they just want to be innovative?

Gotcha. Did you get the vibe they’re trying to be the best in Texas, or more that they just want to be innovative?
I think their main priority right now is innovation. I’m sure being the best in Texas is somewhere on their radar, but probably not their primary goal.

Got the call an hour ago on the way to the airport.

Really sweet guy, even mentioned things on my app.

Good luck to everyone else waiting! It’s a San Francisco area code, which threw me off guard lol

Reactions: 2 users
It’s a San Francisco area code

Lucky you. Congrats! You likely have Dean Johnston's cell phone. He is originally from California. He probably didn't call you from his office phone.

Just got the call this evening! I am so absolutely surprised

Got the call yesterday around 4:30! Still can't believe it :D Dean Johnston is so sweet! Definitely the best Christmas present ever lol Congrats to everyone else who pre-matched

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I was accepted on the 21st and just received my award letter this evening.

25%, in case anyone is interested.

Congrats to everyone that pre-matched! For those of you who got the call last week, do you mind if I ask when you interviewed? Thanks!

Will there be anymore interviews in January. Patiently :shrug:waiting

I thought they were all done but could be wrong