2018-2019 Albert Einstein College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Einstein have rolling admissions?

Does Einstein have rolling admissions?

Their first acceptances are released on one day in February and then continue throughout the spring.

EDIT: This year it was February 1st, then continued a couple of weeks later, and then sporadically throughout the spring

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of my top choices! Hoping for some good vibes this coming cycle!

Has anyone gotten an e-mail for a secondary. I got one, but I can't register for the web site to be able to complete the secondary.
They normally don't have a secondary from what I remember..

Can anyone clarify their LOR requirement for me? Will they not accept two science letters from your major? I know at least one has to be from your major but from their website it’s not very clear whether or not two major letters are fine

Can anyone clarify their LOR requirement for me? Will they not accept two science letters from your major? I know at least one has to be from your major but from their website it’s not very clear whether or not two major letters are fine

Per the secondary:

"Applicants who have attended a school at which there is no Pre-Professional Advisory Committee must have two letters of recommendation from faculty members at that school. One of these letters should be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant's major, and the other from a science faculty member. If the major subject is science, the second letter should be from a member of a science department other than the person writing the first letter. Letters from Teaching Assistants will not satisfy this requirement, although TAs may co-sign letters with senior faculty. Please see our Recommendation Letters page."

It seems as if the other letter must be outside of your major.

Secondary Questions (All are yes or no).

If you check "Yes" for any of the following, you will be provided a text box so that you may provide a short response
I have taken time off between high school and college
I have taken time off during my undergraduate years
I have taken off at least a year since college graduation
I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school
I have taken and received credit for online courses
I have been out of school 5 years (since 2013 or before)
I have applied to medical school previously
I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously (Please keep in mind that if you completed two prior applications, you are ineligible for reapplication.)
I am presently enrolled in the Sue Golding Graduate Division
I am presently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Yeshiva University
I had been accepted to medical school previously but chose not to matriculate
I had been enrolled previously in a medical school
I have fulfilled all of the competencies
I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate in medical school
I am presently holding a deferred enrollment to a medical/professional school
I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years
I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years
I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years
I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years
I have transferred from one college to another during my undergraduate years
I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did not result in a disciplinary action
I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or an administrative action, expunged or not, while in school
I have disciplinary charges pending
I have been convicted of a crime
I expect that there will be criminal charges brought against me which are now pending
I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity due to or as a result of alleged misconduct
Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from what you have already answered on this Secondary Application?

For MSTP
List Scientific Abstracts, Presentations and Publications

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from what you have already answered on this Secondary Application?
What's the word count/character count for this question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble uploading a photo?
EDIT: there seems to be a problem with uploading on a Mac. Using a PC solved the problem

Last edited:
Wth I still haven’t gotten a secondary :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I haven’t gotten one either, but you shouldn’t be worried. I’ve just been focusing on other secondaries that actually have come in lol

According to MSAR they don't screen at all so they might just be sending it out in waves

Reactions: 3 users
Regarding their letter requirement, is it standard practice for faculty members to include letterheads? It's not something I put a lot of thought into as I was requesting letters from them for my U's career services........

Regarding their letter requirement, is it standard practice for faculty members to include letterheads? It's not something I put a lot of thought into as I was requesting letters from them for my U's career services........
It is standard practice but not necessarily something everyone will do if not specifically told to. Are you saying you have a committee packet that your school puts together with all your letters?

It is standard practice but not necessarily something everyone will do if not specifically told to. Are you saying you have a committee packet that your school puts together with all your letters?
Nope, my undergrad doesn't have a committee. These were individual letters that were sent through my school's letter-storage service.

Nope, my undergrad doesn't have a committee. These were individual letters that were sent through my school's letter-storage service.
I'm not sure if it would be better to ask your writers now to re-send the letters on letterhead (if they didn't in the first place) or to wait and see if any schools ask for them to be resent. @Goro @LizzyM might be able to provide better insight

I'm not sure if it would be better to ask your writers now to re-send the letters on letterhead (if they didn't in the first place) or to wait and see if any schools ask for them to be resent. @Goro @LizzyM might be able to provide better insight
Strongly suggest that you ask your LOR writers to resend on letterhead, and explain why.

Reactions: 2 users
Also received secondary this morning.

Anyone find it odd that they ask reapplicants to list which schools they've applied to previously? Isn't it kind of...not their business? Haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Just submitted. OOS LM 73 - 76

Anyone find it odd that they ask reapplicants to list which schools they've applied to previously? Isn't it kind of...not their business? Haha.

And seriously, it always peeves me when schools ask :/

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I just received the secondary for this school.
Questions:
for the secondary questions "I have taken off at least a year since college graduation" and "I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school."

I graduated in January 2018, so technically it's only been 7 months, so I'm not sure if I should answer YES to both of them explaining what I've done in the first one, and what I plan to do in the second one. I've done things in the interim and have upcoming plans, so I feel that if I only answer YES to the second one, I'd be leaving things out. Anyone had a similar problem or know how to go about this?

Thanks in advance, I'd appreciate any advice!

How are you guys answering the competency question after you say yes? Are you giving examples that satisfy each of the 4 categories or just saying yeah I completed the requirements?

How are you guys answering the competency question after you say yes? Are you giving examples that satisfy each of the 4 categories or just saying yeah I completed the requirements?

You only have to write why you HAVE NOT completed the competencies. If you have already, then when you click yes, there won't be a box

Oh, thanks! I was pre-writing and saw the "If you answer yes, you are provided a text box" and thought we would have to explain.

I guess we have to, though? I saw in the old thread that some people didn't specify schools, but it does explicitly say to list them.

I actually don’t think they can legally ask and require us to answer but I could be remembering wrong.
Someone should call admissions and ask what would happen if they don’t list all of them. For now, maybe list a couple?

"Will a letter from a program director(s) be forthcoming?" This question after their programs list... I just put "No" if I didn't participate, right?

Edit: Just realized we don't have to make a selection on this. Did not select Yes or No.

Last edited:
Darn. Submitted and didn't realize I made a mistake until it was too late. Hopefully they will see my email.

Where does it ask this?? I didn't see it on my app and I'm a re applicant. Could you specify so I can see if I missed it?

Where does it ask this?? I didn't see it on my app and I'm a re applicant. Could you specify so I can see if I missed it?
If you click yes on the "I have applied to medical school previously" prompt, you get a box the fill in.

"Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from what you have already answered on this Secondary Application?"

Do people typically write a short bit about why Einstein for this question or leave it blank?

"Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from what you have already answered on this Secondary Application?"

Do people typically write a short bit about why Einstein for this question or leave it blank?
I wrote a short "why Einstein"!

I think it's asking if there's anything new you've done since you submitted your primary app. Otherwise, they'd ask for an essay.

I think it's asking if there's anything new you've done since you submitted your primary app. Otherwise, they'd ask for an essay.
I took the words "anything at all" "that might not be apparent from what you've answered in this secondary" as a more than welcoming space for a short "why this school" prompt since (if i recall correctly) they had no other prompt for it. But sure, you could use it as an update spot if need -- hence the anything at all portion lol

I took the words "anything at all" "that might not be apparent from what you've answered in this secondary" as a more than welcoming space for a short "why this school" prompt since (if i recall correctly) they had no other prompt for it. But sure, you could use it as an update spot if need -- hence the anything at all portion lol
I'm sure they get all kinds of responses to this, so there's no right or wrong answer. I'm going to mention my gap year plans.

I kept mine blank due to the 200 word limit... originally would have put in my adversity essay but it’s not strong enough at 200 words for me to think it’s worth it to add it lol

What was the consensus on listing all the schools we applied to previously for that one question? It's only 200 words and you also have to explain how you've improved so if you've applied to a bunch of schools your word count is basically gone

I'm sure they get all kinds of responses to this, so there's no right or wrong answer. I'm going to mention my gap year plans.
I put my gap year plans under the "I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school" part but do whachu feel is right my man (or woman).

ok thanks for the opinions! It is very tricky, don't want to annoy them but also want to show effort! Wish all the schools were a bit more transparent with optional essays