2018-2019 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
please post secondary questions when you have them.

Good luck to all applying!

Interview Feedback: Drexel University College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that the CASPer website lists Drexel as a school that accepts the CASPer test. However, Drexel, does not mention that this is a requirement on their website. Should we just go ahead and take the test to be safe?

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that the CASPer website lists Drexel as a school that accepts the CASPer test. However, Drexel, does not mention that this is a requirement on their website. Should we just go ahead and take the test to be safe?

Testing on 06/03 --> planning on sending to Drexel

Nice catch, I'm like 99% sure Drexel was not on that list of schools when I registered for CASPer last month. Looks like I'll be adding it before I test then!

Nice catch, I'm like 99% sure Drexel was not on that list of schools when I registered for CASPer last month. Looks like I'll be adding it before I test then!
Just so you know, you can add schools after taking the test. It is sent to them immediately once the score is available.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have experience with Drexel LOR's? Based on their website, 2 science and 1 non-science teaching faculty appear to be a steadfast rule. I lack the non-science letter and getting one is not an option as a non-trad. Do they make exceptions? Should I save my money here?

Does anyone have experience with Drexel LOR's? Based on their website, 2 science and 1 non-science teaching faculty appear to be a steadfast rule. I lack the non-science letter and getting one is not an option as a non-trad. Do they make exceptions? Should I save my money here?
Call their admissions department and they will let you know.

I applied last year, but just stumbled across this on the website: "New for the 2019 application year, Drexel University College of Medicine will require all Regular, Combined Medical Degree/PhD, and Combined Medical Degree/Graduate applicants to complete the CASPer test. Successful completion of CASPer is required to complete your application." Sorry about that.

How receptive is drexel to reapplicants? I interviewed pretty late here and have been on the WL so idk if that will hurt me this time around or not.

Question on this secondary question: What else do you feel is important for us to know about you? Please use this space to highlight something not addressed in your application, including new experiences not in your AMCAS application.

Would it be weird and off-topic if I mention that I value fitness and teamwork? I know it doesnt have anything to do with new experience but those two traits are important to who I am.

Question on this secondary question: What else do you feel is important for us to know about you? Please use this space to highlight something not addressed in your application, including new experiences not in your AMCAS application.

Would it be weird and off-topic if I mention that I value fitness and teamwork? I know it doesnt have anything to do with new experience but those two traits are important to who I am.
Isnt the question optional? IMO its better to not put anything at all than to put random fluff there.

Reactions: 1 users

sure! write about what makes you different. if that's your passion for fitness and teamwork, then by all means go ahead! I wrote about my passion for traveling and photography. We actually talked about it a lot during my interview. It ended pretty well... :) will be an MS1 here in august!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
sure! write about what makes you different. if that's your passion for fitness and teamwork, then by all means go ahead! I wrote about my passion for traveling and photography. We actually talked about it a lot during my interview. It ended pretty well... :) will be an MS1 here in august!

I wish I had enough money for travel and photography to be my hobbies lol

Reactions: 4 users
Isnt the question optional? IMO its better to not put anything at all than to put random fluff there.
Would talking about how I shadowed a Drexel graduate be a good topic for this? I did include that I shadowed them in my AMCAS, but not about their education, their work ethic as a result of DUCOM, etc.

Would talking about how I shadowed a Drexel graduate be a good topic for this? I did include that I shadowed them in my AMCAS, but not about their education, their work ethic as a result of DUCOM, etc.
I would definitely include this. And, for your specific situation since I remember your posts around here (at least I really hope I remember right), I would also add the prior cycle and the situation surrounding that!

I would definitely include this. And, for your specific situation since I remember your posts around here (at least I really hope I remember right), I would also add the prior cycle and the situation surrounding that!
Thanks for the help :)

About my prior cycle... do you think it’s better to send an email to each school admissions office or is putting it in the secondary good enough? Or both?

About my prior cycle... do you think it’s better to send an email to each school admissions office or is putting it in the secondary good enough? Or both?
Did you interview here last cycle or something? Im currently sitting on the drexel WL and dont know if it would help for me to put his much I enjoyed my visit and the school when I was there in the "anything else" essay

Did you interview here last cycle or something? Im currently sitting on the drexel WL and dont know if it would help for me to put his much I enjoyed my visit and the school when I was there in the "anything else" essay
Nope, I think they're referring to me getting into USUHS but not being able to matriculate because I was medically DQ'd haha

Hm. Maybe it'd be nice to include but I also think it might be worthwhile to include how you've improved since interviewing there as well! Highlight that change :)

D
Nope, I think they're referring to me getting into USUHS but not being able to matriculate because I was medically DQ'd haha

Hm. Maybe it'd be nice to include but I also think it might be worthwhile to include how you've improved since interviewing there as well! Highlight that change :)
Dang that sucks. I was considering USUHS but I dont think I would be medically qualified either (yay chronic conditions).

Would it weird to connect to the Clubs offered at the school? I am interested in joining the athletics club but I dont want to oversell it

Hey y'all,
I'm a DUCOM ex-grad student and incoming MS1. Been lurking to answer any questions.
Re: The "What else do you feel is important for us to know about you?" Essay
This is the place where you can talk about things that weren't already addressed in your AMCAS like:
1. Explanation for any red flags in your application.
2. If you receive the secondary a couple months after submitting your AMCAS, updates on what you've been doing in the interim.
3. Future plans for the cycle.

Things like being interested in the school's clubs/athletics/volunteering etc. should be addressed in the other secondary essay that asks how you plan on contributing to the school.

Top three things Drexel values: people who seem committed to them; service to the community second only to GPA/MCAT; and maturity.

If anyone has other more specific questions, I'll be around, but make it easy on me and tag me if you want a quicker reply.
Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 4 users

Probably one or the other per school. If a school doesn't have an appropriate place in the secondary, an email is fine.

Hey y'all,
I'm a DUCOM ex-grad student and incoming MS1. Been lurking to answer any questions.
Re: The "What else do you feel is important for us to know about you?" Essay
This is the place where you can talk about things that weren't already addressed in your AMCAS like:
1. Explanation for any red flags in your application.
2. If you receive the secondary a couple months after submitting your AMCAS, updates on what you've been doing in the interim.
3. Future plans for the cycle.

Things like being interested in the school's clubs/athletics/volunteering etc. should be addressed in the other secondary essay that asks how you plan on contributing to the school.

Top three things Drexel values: people who seem committed to them; service to the community second only to GPA/MCAT; and maturity.

If anyone has other more specific questions, I'll be around, but make it easy on me and tag me if you want a quicker reply.
Good luck to you all!
would a disadvantage/ challenging upbringing/diversity essay combo also go here

I was looking through Drexel’s website and found this under the accelerated track-but it seems like this is in reference to the regular MD track as well, has anyone else heard about this?

Attachments

• 79CD7C02-F426-4172-A210-37A0E782A815.jpeg
    79CD7C02-F426-4172-A210-37A0E782A815.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 261
I was looking through Drexel’s website and found this under the accelerated track-but it seems like this is in reference to the regular MD track as well, has anyone else heard about this?
Im pretty sure its only for the accelerated track. FWIW Im on the WL here now with a 126 CARS and 127 PS.

whats the casper test? i thought we only need the mcat for med school lmaoooooo im dead

whats the casper test? i thought we only need the mcat for med school lmaoooooo im dead
It’s basically a behavioral/typing test some schools require now to weed out more people

Heyy! MS3 (officially) here!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I’ll do the best I can.

Reactions: 1 users
How did you feel the school set you up for STEP? Do they use NBME exams and questions that are similar to boards? (I asked at my interview but we only got to talk to a M1)

How did you feel the school set you up for STEP? Do they use NBME exams and questions that are similar to boards? (I asked at my interview but we only got to talk to a M1)

I felt they did very well preparing us for STEP (i passed my first NBME at the beginning of dedicated without reviewing much of anything outside of our comprehensive exams). We were provided two NBME exam vouchers, which we we were required to complete.

What do you think about my use of exercise on my secondary question? Should I stick with discrepancies (took MCAT twice and low undergrad GPA) or have fun with it?

What do you think about my use of exercise on my secondary question? Should I stick with discrepancies (took MCAT twice and low undergrad GPA) or have fun with it?

I feel like this prompt is better spent highlighting your positive attributes!

I feel like this prompt is better spent highlighting your positive attributes!
What do you think about me writing about how much I liked the school when I interviewed there this past cycle? Or would that possibly be bad because they put me on the WL?

"If you are a recent graduate, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation." No word limit.

"What else do you feel is important for us to know about you? Please use this space to highlight something not addressed in your application, including new experiences not in your AMCAS application." 200 words
No diversity? :eek:

regular md
hmm I'm still waiting for it. They send it to everybody who applies correct? Would you mind telling revealing the email address from the sender so I can be sure it doesn't end up in my spam folder?

What is the difference between the first and second question? They are asking somewhat the same thing @brick123zw

I took the first as ‘list your current activities’ and the second as ‘overcoming challenges/hardship’

Id treat prompt 2 as a diversity type thing. What do YOU bring to the table?

Id treat prompt 2 as a diversity type thing. What do YOU bring to the table?
Oh ya that too. I forget those are separate things for most people. My diversity essay is also a ‘life challenge’ essay in a way

Last edited:
Oh ya that too. I forget those are spearats things for most people. My diversity essay is also a ‘life challenge’ essay in a way

Mine was too, I was just generalizing lol

Do you need Casper score to get a secondary here?