2018-2019 Florida International University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fa21212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[...]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would you mind posting the essays so we know the questions?

Secondary received and submitted!
Two new essays from last year

Members don't see this ad :)
Would be helpful to post the essays. :)

1200 characters each

1. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?

2. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?

3. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.

4. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.

secondary received. Good luck to everyone! :)

For the mission fit question, are you all sticking strictly to the "mission" or did you incorporate any of the "vision" or "values"? It's a short response space so I'll probably stick to the "mission" to be safe but just curious

I think its fine to dabble in the values if you feel it plays to your strengths. That's also just my opinion, but I feel like they want to know that you researched their school and will fit as well as they want to get to know who you are.

For the mission fit question, are you all sticking strictly to the "mission" or did you incorporate any of the "vision" or "values"? It's a short response space so I'll probably stick to the "mission" to be safe but just curious

I’m sticking to just mission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if this school is more holistic in the admissions process or do they put a lot of weight on the MCAT?

Does anyone know if this school is more holistic in the admissions process or do they put a lot of weight on the MCAT?
I'm not sure if this answers your question directly, but as far as the MCAT goes, I do know that they put the most weight on your best score if you've taken the exam multiple times (even if your best is not your most recent).

After submitting the secondary, is there anything else we need to do for our application to be considered complete?
When I check my application status, mine says complete and I didn't do anything extra. So I would say no

Could someone who received a secondary please elaborate if there are more questions to answer than just the 4 qs lentilto posted? I think someone posted last year that there were some adt'l questions based on if you said yes or no (if that makes sense). Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone who received a secondary please elaborate if there are more questions to answer than just the 4 qs lentilto posted? I think someone posted last year that there were some adt'l questions based on if you said yes or no (if that makes sense). Thanks a bunch!

I only had those four questions (plus I think there was the reapplicant "what have you been doing since the last time you applied" question)

I remember the application last year had questions such as, "Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school" and

Provide any additional information that you wish the Admission Committee to consider regarding your application. Character limit 1000 (including spaces).

are there no questions like these on the application this year?

I remember the application last year had questions such as, "Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school" and

Provide any additional information that you wish the Admission Committee to consider regarding your application. Character limit 1000 (including spaces).

are there no questions like these on the application this year?

Hey @quantumd , they have the following prompt:

Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school. Character limit 600 (including spaces).

Hope this helps

2. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?

For this question, are we to assume the patient is a minor? It doesn't specify, but otherwise I'm not sure why the parents' opinion is relevant?

Has anyone received an email saying that their application is complete? My portal just says "secondary application completed" and I submitted a few weeks ago

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary submitted this morning. Best of luck everyone!

For this question, are we to assume the patient is a minor? It doesn't specify, but otherwise I'm not sure why the parents' opinion is relevant?
I would address both ways in your essay. Ie. If a minor then X, if not then Y. Also keep in mind it says how would you handle the situation, which implies thinking much more than just legality of patient autonomy, so I would say the opinions and actions of the parents are relevant either way, especially when considering the patient may be from a culture that values closer family ties over independence. Just things to keep in mind. They want to see you answer in a way that is legally responsible as well as "humanly" compassionate, not someone that says, "the patient is 18 they can do whatever they want, F the parents"

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to those receiving those sweet II's. Y'all in-state or OOS?

Congrats to those receiving IIs; are y'all applying ED or regular decision?

Received an II today. IS and regular decision. I was complete early July.

Congrats on the II yall! By chance, what day did you all receive complete status?

I was complete 7/18, and still my status says Secondary Application Completed. I'm IS, Lizzie M ~71. FIU is one of my top choices, but I am getting concerned.

I was complete 7/18, and still my status says Secondary Application Completed. I'm IS, Lizzie M ~71. FIU is one of my top choices, but I am getting concerned.
Bruh, it's literally August. Chill. There is no reason you should be worried right now... The interviewing season has months to go.

Reactions: 1 users
II just now!!

IS, completed secondary 8/3, LM ~67, URM

Last edited:
Congrats to those who got II's! Did you get any emails with an updated status between secondary completion and II?

II just now!!

IS, completed secondary 8/3, LM ~67, URM
Did you happen to get your status changed from review pending to preliminary review complete? If so, do you know how long it was before getting a II afterwards?

Can anyone who received an II possibly give insight into when their app status was "preliminary review complete" and when they got the II? I see my app says prelim review complete 8/17 (submitted secondary 8/5) and wanted to know how long they would usually take if they were interested in giving an II. Thanks

Did you happen to get your status changed from review pending to preliminary review complete? If so, do you know how long it was before getting a II afterwards?

I honestly have no clue. After I submitted my secondary, I received no further email updates until the interview email. And I didn't really check my app status on the portal to keep track

Any more intel on how long it takes to go from "preliminary review completed" until either an II or a rejection?

Any more intel on how long it takes to go from "preliminary review completed" until either an II or a rejection?
I read last years thread and n=1 but someone got it complete late july, interview in late november and accepted in december. So assuming its the same, it only takes 9000 years.

My app status went from secondary app complete to pending review

Is anyone else having trouble logging into FIU admissions website? The link to my secondary application won't work and even the general admissions.medicine.fiu.edu link does not load. It's been working for me until today so wondering if it's a system glitch