You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Florida International University
Started by fa21212
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Secondary received and submitted!
Two new essays from last year
Two new essays from last year
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1200 characters each
1. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?
2. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?
3. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
4. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.
1. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?
2. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?
3. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
4. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.
For the mission fit question, are you all sticking strictly to the "mission" or did you incorporate any of the "vision" or "values"? It's a short response space so I'll probably stick to the "mission" to be safe but just curious
I’m sticking to just mission
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8
885100
Does anyone know if this school is more holistic in the admissions process or do they put a lot of weight on the MCAT?
I'm not sure if this answers your question directly, but as far as the MCAT goes, I do know that they put the most weight on your best score if you've taken the exam multiple times (even if your best is not your most recent).Does anyone know if this school is more holistic in the admissions process or do they put a lot of weight on the MCAT?
When I check my application status, mine says complete and I didn't do anything extra. So I would say noAfter submitting the secondary, is there anything else we need to do for our application to be considered complete?
Could someone who received a secondary please elaborate if there are more questions to answer than just the 4 qs lentilto posted? I think someone posted last year that there were some adt'l questions based on if you said yes or no (if that makes sense). Thanks a bunch!
Could someone who received a secondary please elaborate if there are more questions to answer than just the 4 qs lentilto posted? I think someone posted last year that there were some adt'l questions based on if you said yes or no (if that makes sense). Thanks a bunch!
I only had those four questions (plus I think there was the reapplicant "what have you been doing since the last time you applied" question)
I remember the application last year had questions such as, "Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school" and
Provide any additional information that you wish the Admission Committee to consider regarding your application. Character limit 1000 (including spaces).
are there no questions like these on the application this year?
Provide any additional information that you wish the Admission Committee to consider regarding your application. Character limit 1000 (including spaces).
are there no questions like these on the application this year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember the application last year had questions such as, "Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school" and
Provide any additional information that you wish the Admission Committee to consider regarding your application. Character limit 1000 (including spaces).
are there no questions like these on the application this year?
Hey @quantumd , they have the following prompt:
Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school. Character limit 600 (including spaces).
Hope this helps
Any updates?
According to last years thread, the first interview came on august 15. So we have about 3 weeks to goAny updates?
2. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?
For this question, are we to assume the patient is a minor? It doesn't specify, but otherwise I'm not sure why the parents' opinion is relevant?
For this question, are we to assume the patient is a minor? It doesn't specify, but otherwise I'm not sure why the parents' opinion is relevant?
I would address both ways in your essay. Ie. If a minor then X, if not then Y. Also keep in mind it says how would you handle the situation, which implies thinking much more than just legality of patient autonomy, so I would say the opinions and actions of the parents are relevant either way, especially when considering the patient may be from a culture that values closer family ties over independence. Just things to keep in mind. They want to see you answer in a way that is legally responsible as well as "humanly" compassionate, not someone that says, "the patient is 18 they can do whatever they want, F the parents" [emoji6]2. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?
For this question, are we to assume the patient is a minor? It doesn't specify, but otherwise I'm not sure why the parents' opinion is relevant?
+1!!II received today!!
Congrats to those receiving IIs; are y'all applying ED or regular decision?
Received an II today. IS and regular decision. I was complete early July.
what are your stats, if you don't mind me askingReceived an II today. IS and regular decision. I was complete early July.
Belvita4bkfst
Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete 7/18, and still my status says Secondary Application Completed. I'm IS, Lizzie M ~71. FIU is one of my top choices, but I am getting concerned.
Bruh, it's literally August. Chill. There is no reason you should be worried right now... The interviewing season has months to go.I was complete 7/18, and still my status says Secondary Application Completed. I'm IS, Lizzie M ~71. FIU is one of my top choices, but I am getting concerned.
II just now!!
IS, completed secondary 8/3, LM ~67, URM
IS, completed secondary 8/3, LM ~67, URM
Last edited:
Congrats to those who got II's! Did you get any emails with an updated status between secondary completion and II?
Congrats to those who got II's! Did you get any emails with an updated status between secondary completion and II?
Nope. Just the secondary and the interview invite.
Has anyone had the status “Review Pending”?
I have the same status but I have no idea what exactly that means :/Has anyone had the status “Review Pending”?
Did you happen to get your status changed from review pending to preliminary review complete? If so, do you know how long it was before getting a II afterwards?II just now!!
IS, completed secondary 8/3, LM ~67, URM
Can anyone who received an II possibly give insight into when their app status was "preliminary review complete" and when they got the II? I see my app says prelim review complete 8/17 (submitted secondary 8/5) and wanted to know how long they would usually take if they were interested in giving an II. Thanks
Did you happen to get your status changed from review pending to preliminary review complete? If so, do you know how long it was before getting a II afterwards?
I honestly have no clue. After I submitted my secondary, I received no further email updates until the interview email. And I didn't really check my app status on the portal to keep track
Any more intel on how long it takes to go from "preliminary review completed" until either an II or a rejection?
I read last years thread and n=1 but someone got it complete late july, interview in late november and accepted in december. So assuming its the same, it only takes 9000 years.Any more intel on how long it takes to go from "preliminary review completed" until either an II or a rejection?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would you happen to know if your status had been preliminary review complete before hand?II today! Complete on 7/3
No sorry I didn't go into the portal before I got the emailWould you happen to know if your status had been preliminary review complete before hand?
My app status went from secondary app complete to pending review
Is anyone else having trouble logging into FIU admissions website? The link to my secondary application won't work and even the general admissions.medicine.fiu.edu link does not load. It's been working for me until today so wondering if it's a system glitch