2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone from December interviews get any news today?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when scholarships will come out or what percentage of students get them? Looking at past threads it seems like $10,000 is just about the max (avg?) merit scholarship and it won't come out until March or April. Would love some insight. I don't think I can swing this school without the $10,000 merit scholarship and I'm guessing that's not going to happen. It would be SOOO awesome if they would tuition match our other acceptances!

Do you happen to know if the 10k merit scholarship is offered for all four years, or is it just a one-year award?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still on CC :( interviewed in Nov.. I hope to get a call soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know what day of the week they usually make calls on?

Hoping for a hail-mary II this week (based on what others said earlier, there's interview dates at the end of this month)!

No hold or anything on my portal but no II. Idk what to think of this

Reactions: 1 users
For the med students who may know about financial aid, I probably won't have my FAFSA done til next week. Is that going to limit me from getting any aid since its so close to the deadline, or does it really not matter as long as I have it turned in?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who sent thank you letters to your interviewer, have you received a reply?

For those who sent thank you letters to your interviewer, have you received a reply?

I emailed my thank you notes to the admissions office, and they sent the notes to my interviewers. The admissions office emailed me back to let me know that the emails were forwarded, but I didn’t get individual responses from my interviewers. Hope this helps!

so are all interviews done in feb? I still havent heard anything back, not even rejection letter. prob rejection tho

I emailed my interviewers directly a few days after my interview. They both gave me business cards so if you have that maybe do it. They both responded warmly saying they hoped we would met again and I got in less then a week later. So idk if that helped or not but it at least sounded positive.

Didn't get a response from any of my interviewers from any of the schools I interviewed at- was still was accepted at all. Don't read into non-responses.

My portal still says "thank you for scheduling your admissions interview," so I can't upload any updates. Is anyone else having this problem?

My portal still says "thank you for scheduling your admissions interview," so I can't upload any updates. Is anyone else having this problem?
Mine actually said “your interview is complete...” the day right after my interview and I was able to upload an update. In past pages it looks like it’s taken some people 2-3 weeks because you are at the mercy of your interviewers turning in their evaluations. Once that’s done you can upload updates. Maybe give them a call?

Did anyone upload an update pre-II? If so, is the update recorded under "your application?" I thought I sent one but I don't see it recorded anywhere...

Did anyone upload an update pre-II? If so, is the update recorded under "your application?" I thought I sent one but I don't see it recorded anywhere...

Yes it should show up almost instantly in the “Your Application” section.

Anyone know how many students are accepted? I know they told us 673 interviews.

Anyone know how many students are accepted? I know they told us 673 interviews.

There's about 170 students on the fb page right now. So at least that many. Not sure how close to the real number that is though.

You can apply now. You just have to send in the brown folder with the tax info they want. It was given to you at the interview.

Wait do you go to a portal or something to apply? Or is it just turning in the forms from the brown folder

Wait do you go to a portal or something to apply? Or is it just turning in the forms from the brown folder
It is just the FAFSA and the brown folder with the tax documents.
Crossing my fingers for a scholarship. Is Loyola open to matching scholarships you received from another school?

It is just the FAFSA and the brown folder with the tax documents.
Crossing my fingers for a scholarship. Is Loyola open to matching scholarships you received from another school?

I believe so! Director Nabers specifically mentioned that on my interview day!

I contacted them and they said they're done interviewing. They'll be rejecting everyone who has not interviewed soon.

Classy move :slap:

This is so lame lmao, it's hilarious how adcoms accept only the very very best applicants and emphasize empathy in their applicants so much but then they act like complete psychopaths.

I must be missing something. In what way is Loyola SSOM's admissions committee / office acting like "complete psychopaths"? If anything, they gave you a straight-forward, honest answer: that they are done interviewing, and that they will soon reject everyone who has not interviewed.

You literally can't make anyone on this forum happy. Applicants whose schools keep them on perpetual silence/hold scold them for "stealing applicants' money and not getting back in a timely fashion" or for "keeping applicants in the dark." If anything, applaud Loyola for being honest. What would you rather have had them tell you? That they were "going to be sending decisions out to all candidates soon" and use politically correct/snowflake language? And for what? To keep your hope alive for another few weeks? C'mon people...

Reactions: 9 users
You completely misinterpreted my post lol, my issue is not with the fact that they're rejecting people too soon, it's that they're not doing it soon enough, even though they know that everyone else will be rejected for sure.

"Complete psychopaths" is deliberately hyperbolic, I would however say that they're demonstrating a level of empathy below that expected of their matriculants which is hypocritical. They gave an answer to a single applicant, by no means did they notify people. If they sent out an email saying "you're rejected, we'll send the formal notification in a few weeks" that'd be fine but they just told one person lmao. I think that if a school's going to reject you they should reject you immediately, not keep you pending for 6 months and then tell you. No doubt a ton of people who are yet to be formally rejected have been no longer under consideration since 2018.

It's important to know if you're rejected as early as possible so you can plan for a reapp if you have to and for various other reasons ranging from peace of mind to knowing your schedule is cleared. It would take no extra effort on Loyola's part (it's literally a form email, they've already decided on the applicant, all they'd have to do is send out one email every so often and make sure the rejected names are on there). There are plenty of schools that do this without issue, USC being an example of a school I really respect because they don't bull****, they either interview you or reject you.

Imagine there were, say, a testing company that administered a med school admissions test. Let's say that this hypothetical test is graded by computer and the curve is generated before the test sitting, so it's totally possible to give your score back the day of the exam. But then this hypothetical testing company realizes, "hold up, if we wait a month before releasing results, a bunch of premeds will be convinced they did poorly on the exam so they'll sign up for a retake immediately, then they get their score and realize they did fine so they cancel and someone else books, so now we get both the test fee and the cancellation fee," so they do that. Doesn't that seem a little immoral? Oh wait that's literally what the AAMC does.

In the same vein--pretending like a decision is pending months after it stopped being pending is ridiculous. Sure if the dean of admissions had to handwrite rejection letters it'd make more sense, but once they make the decision all they have to do is check a box to send out the email, but they just don't. So maybe it's not "completely psychopathic" but it's certainly a real dick move.

Seems to me like you have something personal with Loyola. They literally just finished their interview cycle, part of this was because the polar vortex caused them to cancel their interviews in January and reschedule them back to mid-end of February. They also have undergone a change in their admissions committee this year, as the previous Dean of Admissions, Dean Nakae, has left midway during the application cycle. Given these circumstances and the fact that their last interview day was this past week, you could also have some understanding and respect for their admissions policies.

Plenty of other schools have a similar process where they reject applicants prior to interview at the end of their cycle (i.e. after their final interview day). Duke and Emory come to mind. That's just their system, while others reject periodically. Is this disrespectful? Okay, but what if they're actually holding your application for an interview waitlist until the end? Loyola also gives you a time-frame that they have been relatively consistent on with regards to notifying an applicant post interview, which plenty of schools don't have (UCLA).

Admissions committees don't have as many people as you might think they do, and many of their members serve as faculty and take on numerous other responsibilities There's a reason that we say to prepare for a reapplication until you have an acceptance, partly because of the huge number of applications each year and the variations in application review corresponding to each medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
You completely misinterpreted my post lol, my issue is not with the fact that they're rejecting people too soon, it's that they're not doing it soon enough, even though they know that everyone else will be rejected for sure.

"Complete psychopaths" is deliberately hyperbolic, I would however say that they're demonstrating a level of empathy below that expected of their matriculants which is hypocritical. They gave an answer to a single applicant, by no means did they notify people. If they sent out an email saying "you're rejected, we'll send the formal notification in a few weeks" that'd be fine but they just told one person lmao. I think that if a school's going to reject you they should reject you immediately, not keep you pending for 6 months and then tell you. No doubt a ton of people who are yet to be formally rejected have been no longer under consideration since 2018.

It's important to know if you're rejected as early as possible so you can plan for a reapp if you have to and for various other reasons ranging from peace of mind to knowing your schedule is cleared. It would take no extra effort on Loyola's part (it's literally a form email, they've already decided on the applicant, all they'd have to do is send out one email every so often and make sure the rejected names are on there). There are plenty of schools that do this without issue, USC being an example of a school I really respect because they don't bull****, they either interview you or reject you.

Imagine there were, say, a testing company that administered a med school admissions test. Let's say that this hypothetical test is graded by computer and the curve is generated before the test sitting, so it's totally possible to give your score back the day of the exam. But then this hypothetical testing company realizes, "hold up, if we wait a month before releasing results, a bunch of premeds will be convinced they did poorly on the exam so they'll sign up for a retake immediately, then they get their score and realize they did fine so they cancel and someone else books, so now we get both the test fee and the cancellation fee," so they do that. Doesn't that seem a little immoral? Oh wait that's literally what the AAMC does.

In the same vein--pretending like a decision is pending months after it stopped being pending is ridiculous. Sure if the dean of admissions had to handwrite rejection letters it'd make more sense, but once they make the decision all they have to do is check a box to send out the email, but they just don't. So maybe it's not "completely psychopathic" but it's certainly a real dick move.

Seems to me like you have something personal with Loyola. They literally just finished their interview cycle, part of this was because the polar vortex caused them to cancel their interviews in January and reschedule them back to mid-end of February. They also have undergone a change in their admissions committee this year, as the previous Dean of Admissions, Dean Nakae, has left midway during the application cycle. Given these circumstances and the fact that their last interview day was this past week, you could also have some understanding and respect for their admissions policies.

Plenty of other schools have a similar process where they reject applicants prior to interview at the end of their cycle (i.e. after their final interview day). Duke and Emory come to mind. That's just their system, while others reject periodically. Is this disrespectful? Okay, but what if they're actually holding your application for an interview waitlist until the end? Loyola also gives you a time-frame that they have been relatively consistent on with regards to notifying an applicant post interview, which plenty of schools don't have (UCLA).

Admissions committees don't have as many people as you might think they do, and many of their members serve as faculty and take on numerous other responsibilities There's a reason that we say to prepare for a reapplication until you have an acceptance, partly because of the huge number of applications each year and the variations in application review corresponding to each medical school.

They are interviewing through 2/28. If 5 of their candidates rescind their interview offers in the next week due to personal circumstances (i.e., getting accepted to their top choice, thrown in the slammer, etc.), they may need to extend interview offers to 5 more candidates. I can't imagine an interview offer after a rejection portrays any school in the best light and is something for which they would get a lot of flack.

And another useful rule of thumb, touching upon what @minimato wisely wrote, accept that you're rejected at every single school to which you applied until you get an acceptance in-hand. Always be preparing for a re-app. At the end of the day, schools don't owe us anything.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how many people are taken off the waitlist?

Also, I have to give credit to Loyola for receiving ~15,000 applicants and actually having someone manually review each one. Granted, it might only take a reviewer 2 mins to throw out the app if you have bad stats and no major EC's, but at least they don't auto reject on preconceived metrics like most other schools. After months of silence, I thought my app was DOA, but received an II only a few weeks ago. It may have been an interview for the wait-list, but we'll see..

Reactions: 9 users
Can anyone tell me which documents from our 2017 tax return the financial aid needs? I’ve called twice with no response and the deadline is next week. I did turbo tax but the entire tax return is 98 pages and I’m assuming they don’t want all of that. If anyone can provide me some insight that would be great!

Can anyone tell me which documents from our 2017 tax return the financial aid needs? I’ve called twice with no response and the deadline is next week. I did turbo tax but the entire tax return is 98 pages and I’m assuming they don’t want all of that. If anyone can provide me some insight that would be great!
i believe it’s schedules A through E

I noticed it mentions this for the parents but for the student it just says all forms including W2, did you send just a-e?
I sent the entire thing in even though it was a lot, better safe than sorry with the deadline coming up

do we get any sort of confirmation that they received the financial aid paperwork??

do we get any sort of confirmation that they received the financial aid paperwork??

I’m not sure, but I called the office to make sure they got it because I was paranoid