2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many people are admitted out of how many are interviews? This school feels like such a crazy reach to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Any IIs? Some reported on reddit

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does it look bad if you post about getting an interview if Adcoms see it? Is it something we should keep on the DL or freely talk about?

Last edited:
Does it look bad if you post about getting an interview if Adcoms see it? Is it something we should keep on the DL or freely talk about?
I can't imagine this negatively affecting you in any way and people do it all the time. I suppose if someone in admissions really wanted they could compare your II date and WAMC thread (if you made one) to applicants offered interviews on that day and find your identity that way, but honestly who would care that much about breaching your anonymity on a forum site... and it wouldn't affect your app anyway unless you have a history of malicious posting or an unreported IA or something.

I can't find anywhere that says requirements of their letters of recommendation, only that the min is 2 and the max is 8. can anyone point me to somewhere that says how many science, non-science, etc? or do they not care

Do I need to submit the tertiary for my application to be considered complete?

I have the "Application Submitted" check mark, but "exclamation point" under Tertiary?

Do I need to submit the tertiary for my application to be considered complete?

I have the "Application Submitted" check mark, but "exclamation point" under Tertiary?
No that's only necessary for the three-year MD program

Did you guys get an email confirmation after you submitted the secondary? My page shows that the app submit and there are all the green check marks but I never got an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get an email confirmation after you submitted the secondary? My page shows that the app submit and there are all the green check marks but I never got an email?

I did get a complete email. Try checking your spam?

If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

Do they mean reason for doing what you did during this time or the reason you took the time off?

MD:
  1. If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.
  2. If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.
  3. The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community (2500 characters max)?
  4. The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here (2500 characters max).
  5. Please answer only one of the following three questions (2500 characters max):
    1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
    2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
    3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?
Is the character count for questions #1 and 2 2500 max?

any consensus on the second question

1. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community (2500 characters max)?"

Is it a "Why NYU?" question? Or "what would i bring" question?

any consensus on the second question

1. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community (2500 characters max)?"

Is it a "Why NYU?" question? Or "what would i bring" question?

I interpreted it as a diversity essay of sorts since my diversity was more rooted in diversity of thought, so I highlighted unique perspectives I gained from a hobby. At the end I very briefly tied in some specific things about NYU. Take this with a grain of salt because I dont actually know if this is what they're looking for (I havent gotten an II here). Maybe I completely misinterpreted the prompt lol

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

This may be a silly question but do I need an MD/PHD to pursue academic medicine? Also, if I pick academic medicine do I have to say what type of field/research I want to pursue? I'm having a hard time answering this question :(

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

This may be a silly question but do I need an MD/PHD to pursue academic medicine? Also, if I pick academic medicine do I have to say what type of field/research I want to pursue? I'm having a hard time answering this question :(
No and no. You can be as specific as you want but really bare minimum you just have to explain why academic medicine

If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

Do they mean reason for doing what you did during this time or the reason you took the time off?
I would say either or both depending on the scenario. If you took time off for personal reasons like a death in the family then you should probably explain that which is more of a why did you take time off. Of you took time off for a something like a fulbright or other amazing opportunity then it's more about why did you do the fulbright. If you just graduated and did a gap year then obviously you don't need to explain why you stopped taking classes after you graduated so you can focus on why you did whatever you did

II!!!! Totally unexpected this early with most IIs going out to URMs/LM 80+s! Only dates I saw available were for September!

EDIT: Submitted 2º 7/3 Complete 7/7

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
II sent for me last Thursday! Also is there an updated interview tracker on reddit?

Any II for people complete 7/16 or later?

II here as well but general tip, check your portals. It may take a while to get to your email.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Everyone!

I am posting on behalf of the NYUSoM Ambassadors who will be monitoring this thread for questions/comments/concerns and anything that we can do to help make this process easier for you all!

Reply to this (so we get the little notification) if you have any questions, and we'll do our best to answer them!

In terms of what NYU looks for in applicants, it's the same as most medical schools — it's less about checking boxes and more about standing out in some way. We have people who have focused heavily on research, some who dedicated themselves more to community service, and others who have taken less traditional paths to medical school. There’s no one way to do it. It’s about finding what you’re passionate about and pursuing it.

A bit about the interview process and things unique to NYU:

MMI:
-Series of 8 interview stations consisting of timed interview scenarios.
-Scenarios may explore an applicant’s communication skills, ability to work as part of a team, problem solving capabilities, integrity, ethics and judgment. You will receive a prompt of the scenario or question you will address before entering the station. You will then have two minutes to gather your thoughts before you enter the room.​

Housing:
Approximately 90% of our students live in on-campus housing, and they are subsidized monthly rents that are way below market rents for the area. Shared apartments for example are approximately $1050/month. Similarly sized apartments in the neighborhood are often double that or more, so the student housing is a fantastic deal.
NYUSoM Community:
NYUSoM has a robust student community. From formal community events supported by the University to informal gatherings, there are many ways in which the students here are able to come together. Official gatherings include events such as the annual Culture Show, at which students can showcase their musical and artistic talents, and Student Appreciation Week, where the administration puts on a week of events to help students come and destress together outside of the classroom. There are also lots of informal community events organized by students, such as trips to the MET and afternoons in Central Park.

One of the nicest aspects of the student community at NYUSoM is how the students support each other. Because our classes are small and most students live together in the dormitories, the first-year class quickly becomes a tight-knit group. An example of this sense of community is how readily students share their study materials to help ensure we all do well. Before every exam, many students post their study guides or flashcard decks to our class Facebook page for everyone to use. There is a sense that we're all in this together, and that we have to help each other along the way. Having a supportive community of students has been one of the most important factors in making my medical school experience so enjoyable and successful.​

New York City:
New York City is a great place to be for medical school, and NYU’s location in Midtown is perfect for taking advantage of all NYC has to offer. The city is an incredibly vibrant place. Whether you want to spend a sunny afternoon in Central Park, enter a lottery for discounted Broadway tickets, or explore the MET or the Museum of Natural History, there is always something exciting to do only a short subway ride away. You can also get any type of food you want at any time of day delivered right to your apartment, which is pretty amazing.

One great thing about New York is that, despite its size, it’s still a very safe place to live. Statistically, it’s the safest large city in the U.S., and after living here for a year, I have yet to experience a situation in which I felt unsafe.

Personally, I love the excitement of the city, but on those occasions on which I want to get away from the hustle and bustle, there are many tranquil corners of the city to explore. From Central Park to Riverside Park to the Cloisters, there are plenty of places to relax surrounded by nature.

At the end of the day, NYC has something for everyone, which is what makes it such a special place. I can’t think of any other place I would rather be in medical school.​

3-year MD:
The Three-Year MD Degree Pathway provides an accelerated track for a select group of eligible students. All students graduating from the Three-Year MD Degree Pathway will participate in the Main Residency Match and will be offered acceptance into an NYU Langone Medical Center residency program of their choice at the time of admission.​

When you can apply:
-Prospective students can apply at the time of their initial application. Deadline for applying is March 1, 2019.
-Matriculated students in our Four-Year MD program can opt in to the Three-Year MD Pathway either during their first year of training, or just before their third year of training.
-Deadlines: Applications for the Three-Year MD pathway are available through the applicant portal. Important deadlines to be aware of are as follows: (1) tertiary application deadline is March 1st by 11:59 PM EST; (2) interviews with residency program directors will occur in late March through July.​

Hi! Just wondering, how is the process of considering interviewees for acceptances work? Does NYU have a certain time each month when they send out acceptances for people who interviewed during some like large month block period of interviews? Or do they basically send out pure rolling acceptances as admissions files with interview results are read? And MSAR says NYU starts sending out acceptances in January, but the NYU admissions website says that starts in October. Is the MSAR provided info wrong?

Odd question, but does anyone remember if the secondary had questions about family connections to NYU?

Anyone else have Application File Complete with the red exclamation point even though they've submitted everything? D:

Hey if anyone hasn’t submitted this secondary yet, could you PM me? Something odd seems to be going on with my submitted secondary/portal page (that or I’m just being neurotic) so I wanted to check something with someone who still has the unsubmitted secondary.

In exchange, I’ll read your essays! I’ve got an NYU II already so I might even be moderately helpful haha

did you guys submit the tertiary blank? or just leave it incomplete?

because my application says its incomplete even though i finished everything else

Mine has been this way a while.. Also wondering if I should just submit the tertiary application
I think you only submit the tertiary if you are applying. I did not submit it and my app is complete

Reactions: 1 users
I think you only submit the tertiary if you are applying. I did not submit it and my app is complete

Did it show up as complete immediately after you submitted? Mine shows up as incomplete (red exclamation point) because the tertiary is not submitted. Everything else shows up as submitted (green check)

Thanks!

Did it show up as complete immediately after you submitted? Mine shows up as incomplete (red exclamation point) because the tertiary is not submitted. Everything else shows up as submitted (green check)

Thanks!
I got an II and I still have the red check by the tertiary

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks!
It took like 3 weeks because of the issues they had downloading letters of recommendation. I had a green check next to my letters but when I clicked on it, it said no letters had been submitted (even though they were all in May 28). I think that prevented my app from actually being complete. lots of people had this problem and mine was fixed on July 26