2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No II here, complete 7/10, LizzyM ~80. Just a reminder to my peeps with silence out there that interview season is looong and full of terrors!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
No II here, complete 7/10, LizzyM ~80. Just a reminder to my peeps with silence out there that interview season is looong and full of terrors!
thanks i need this support lmao, complete 7/16, hopefully we get II eventually here

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now!!! OOS, LM 78 :) hope to see you guys on interview day!

Reactions: 3 users
Riiight? I thought I wrote a pretty decent secondary for this one :(

So far how much effort I put into secondaries has had ZERO correlation in terms of which IIs I’ve gotten.

Reactions: 4 users
II today! Complete 8/6
That's similar to my complete date (8/5). Almost missed my invite because it ended in the promotions tab of my Gmail. It's wild. I threw in NYU as a bit of a YOLO move.

LOL NYU just became tuition free. There goes my chances lol.

Source: I work for the SOM

Reactions: 9 users
They announced it at this year’s white coat ceremony (which just happened).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
well ****. Wasn't really planning on prepping for this interview but now...

Reactions: 1 users
wow-- knew this was going to happen eventually but most people told me it would still be years before they rolled this out!! interview stakes so much higher now wow

Reactions: 1 user
Man that 29% post interview acceptance rate makes it all the more stressful

Unreal... Full tuition paid for EVERY student, regardless of need? NYU is making moves :O

Reactions: 2 users
Oh bruhhh i really wish they would send me an II soon lol

ahh probably means they are going to accept far fewer students now. I know I'm officially going there if accepted now lol

ahh probably means they are going to accept far fewer students now. I know I'm officially going there if accepted now lol
I wouldn’t say so? They’ve been working on reducing their class size every year to be able to do this - the incoming class is ~100, whereas the second year class is ~120. I’m pretty sure 100 was the goal, from what i remember of my interview last year. So next year should hold steady?

I wouldn’t say so? They’ve been working on reducing their class size every year to be able to do this - the incoming class is ~100, whereas the second year class is ~120. I’m pretty sure 100 was the goal, from what i remember of my interview last year. So next year should hold steady?

While their class size may remain the same, they will probably (rightfully) expect that their yield will be much higher, and therefore accept fewer people knowing that more of them will end up matriculating.

Also, it doesn't seem like they have slowed down their interviewing? Obviously we don't know for sure but it does seem like they have been sending out ii's left and right. Who knows though...

As if I wasn't thirsty enough for an interview....

As if I wasn't thirsty enough for an interview....
amen brotha, i hope i get another NY school's II so i can send an ITA lol, not sure if they're open to them though

amen brotha, i hope i get another NY school's II so i can send an ITA lol, not sure if they're open to them though
They are not unfortunately, reading on old threads

NYU just announced that next year's class and all future classes will attend tuition free. What an incredibly generous offer that will allow students to pursue their dreams without having to worry about financial considerations.

Last edited:
II yesterday! Complete 8/6.

Anyone have an idea if NYU will still offer merit scholarships to cover living expenses? UCLA offers 20% of their incoming class a full cost-of-attendance scholarship including living+tuition.
NYU's website says the following: "NYU School of Medicine is proud to offer all current students and future matriculated students enrolled in our MD degree program full-tuition scholarships, regardless of need or merit. We also offer additional merit-based scholarships and need-based loans for students who need assistance covering additional medical school costs, and provide one-on-one financial literacy education and debt counseling."

I wonder if this will scare other top schools into giving more II ;)

II yesterday! Complete 8/6.

Anyone have an idea if NYU will still offer merit scholarships to cover living expenses? UCLA offers 20% of their incoming class a full cost-of-attendance scholarship including living+tuition.
Mind giving your stats? Was complete around the same time heh

Well this was already one of my top choices. Now it's definitely my #1. Interview me plzzzz

In light of these great news, would you guys say that being invited for an early interview is still as advantageous? I'm also thinking whether they might interview more people than usual this season, to really have their pick when crafting their first tuition-free entering class. Any thoughts?

Is it too late/ worth it to apply here? Does this school use rolling admissions? LizzyM 71/72

Dang, now I wish I studied harder for my MCAT...

Congrats to all you future matriculants who get free tuition, I'm so jealous!

Last edited:
Just a public service announcement that CCLCM also provides free tuition to all medical students

due to the announcement i spent my time looking through last year's thread and building hope since several people complete in july got interviews all the way through to november :) gotta keep the free tuition dream alive

I'm sure NYU has known they were going to make this announcement for a while now. My question is, do you all believe that the IIs they've already sent were with this in mind? I'm feeling total imposter syndrome having gotten an II, knowing my stats aren't really up to par with NYU and seeing you all talk about how it's going to get more competitive. I'm so excited about this school but at the same time my stress levels are now on overdrive.

I'm in the same boat haha. Maybe it would be worth throwing out an app now, but I feel like I'm just joining the bandwagon.
Ya I would love to go here but my chances already seem low stats wise for this school. Plus that bandwagon is a great way for them to make more money to fund those scholarships lol

I'm sure NYU has known they were going to make this announcement for a while now. My question is, do you all believe that the IIs they've already sent were with this in mind? I'm feeling total imposter syndrome having gotten an II, knowing my stats aren't really up to par with NYU and seeing you all talk about how it's going to get more competitive. I'm so excited about this school but at the same time my stress levels are now on overdrive.
Congrats on your II! Honestly, even if your LizzyM is 70, your WARS is 82 like you say, and that really says something about the quality of your overall app. It sounds like you have some really valuable experiences. And 4 II's already? You must really have something outside of your stats that is attention-grabbing for sure, so I wouldn't worry about it at all!

Congrats on your II! Honestly, even if your LizzyM is 70, your WARS is 82 like you say, and that really says something about the quality of your overall app. It sounds like you have some really valuable experiences. And 4 II's already? You must really have something outside of your stats that is attention-grabbing for sure, so I wouldn't worry about it at all!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! It honestly helped :) wish you the best of luck!