2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is actually pretty surprising, given the free tuition at NYU. I suspect schools such as Harvard, Hopkins and Stanford have expanded their parameters on need-based aid because they can afford to. And schools like Penn have expanded parameters for both need based and merit aid. They dont want to be outbid for top students. Unsure what Columbia is doing as their FA and merit situation appears quite confused.

Perhaps they underaccepted thinking their yield would be high, given free tuition. They had no baseline from to work.
Wash U gives free tuition to 50% of students now and Columbia I suspect is close to the same with many of those even receiving over free tuition

Members don't see this ad.

WashU makes total sense. Probably UChicago adjusted too. Mixed reports from Columbia, according to postings this cycle.
Columbia doesn't even consider parental income in efc until above $125,000 income. <$125,000 income makes up 40-50% of the national matriculant pool, so assuming Columbia's accepted students don't differ too much from the national income distribution, 40-50% of students will be in the "parental income free" group. Unless they have a ton of personal assets, I can't imagine anyone in this group getting less than free tuition, as that would require an efc of like $25,000. I have no clue what NYU's cutoff is for providing aid above free tuition, but I doubt it's as generous as Columbia's

I applaud what NYU is doing by providing everyone full tuition. It seems the fairest model.

Some schools have a tiered system, merit aid, need-based aid with some students full pay. That model I think will prove unsustainable, in part because I believe it will be challenged legally as dicriminatory. Just a matter of time.

Better to give everyone some form of reduced tuition (does not have to be full) and have everyone bear roughly the same debt burden upon graduation. Right now you have a form of cross-sudsidization going on that, imo, is unfair.

Equal cost for everyone does not mean equal debt burden. The closest thing you get to equal debt burden are the need based schools which give everyone a loan minimum, which is set based on the resources of the school, and then cover the rest with a combination of need-based aid and efc. Whether or not it's "fair" is obviously going to be very subjective but my understanding (albeit without access to the outcome data to back it up) is that this system creates the narrowest distribution of debt upon graduation

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone let me know how long it usually takes to receive your N Number and all that other jazz after being admitted? Neurotic and excited over here haha

Could anyone let me know how long it usually takes to receive your N Number and all that other jazz after being admitted? Neurotic and excited over here haha
If you didn't receive it by now, you weren't actually accepted

(just kidding lol)

Last edited:
Has anyone else on the waitlist notified the admissions office of a Commit to Enroll deadline for their current selected school and if they could get a decision/update (rejection, acceptance, updated on chances etc.) prior to said deadline? My school's CTE deadline is in about a month and I was wondering how/if I should notify admissions and how they have responded to anyone else who has had the same concerns. I would hate to have to withdraw from the waitlist without hearing back/getting closure :(

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else on the waitlist notified the admissions office of a Commit to Enroll deadline for their current selected school and if they could get a decision/update (rejection, acceptance, updated on chances etc.) prior to said deadline? My school's CTE deadline is in about a month and I was wondering how/if I should notify admissions and how they have responded to anyone else who has had the same concerns. I would hate to have to withdraw from the waitlist without hearing back/getting closure :(

This is in absolutely no way, shape, or form an official answer, and you should definitely check with the school, but I can tell you that no one has joined the FB group since last Thursday (May 23rd) and there are 144 members. Clearly some of those are current students, administrators, and some even look like applicants that are going to other schools but haven't left the group, but I'd think the class is mostly full from that number. Having said that, idt the school has made an official announcement that the class is full, so maybe there's more room.

I know this isn't an exact answer, but I hope it helps a little! Best of luck!

Edit- 144 in the admissions FB group, 116 in the class of 2023 FB group.

Does anyone know when/where we are supposed to submit our final official transcripts?

From my initial admissions email:

A final transcript showing degree awarded must be submitted by your college immediately upon completion of courses. You will not be permitted to begin classes in August if your transcripts are not received. Please have ALL transcripts from ALL schools you have attended sent to:

NYU School of Medicine

Admissions Office

550 First Avenue

New York, New York 10016

Reactions: 1 user
From my initial admissions email:

A final transcript showing degree awarded must be submitted by your college immediately upon completion of courses. You will not be permitted to begin classes in August if your transcripts are not received. Please have ALL transcripts from ALL schools you have attended sent to:

NYU School of Medicine

Admissions Office

550 First Avenue

New York, New York 10016

Thank you!

so I guess it's safe to assume that WL movement is done. It feels like there wasn't a lot of WL movement in general this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user