2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question about the curriculum: Based on what I see on the website, NYU doesn't seem to have any courses/focus on stuff like the healthcare system or disparities within healthcare (I guess what you could call the sociological/humanities aspects of medicine). Am I just overlooking this or does NYU not have this focus within the curriculum? It seemed like most schools I interviewed at where making it an active point to implement these topics into their curriculum in very intentional ways so wasn't sure why/if NYU was an odd one out.

Hi BarryO43, thanks for the question! I'm not sure why it is not emphasized more on the website, but we do get an excellent education (from what I have seen so far, I'm a first year) about the healthcare system and disparities within healthcare. All of this falls under our practice of medicine course (along with physical exams, patient history, etc.). We've had lectures on topics varying from health insurance under the Affordable Care Act and potential future changes as well as value-based medicine from the Cheif of Medicine at NYU Brooklyn as well as lobbyists from Tisch Hospital (our private hospital) and Bellevue Hospital (our public hospital). In addition, we've had talks about the differences in our healthcare systems (private vs. public hospitals) looking at patient demographics, profits and payment systems, what patients most commonly present with, goals of the hospitals, etc. In terms of healthcare disparities, we have had lectures and small group sessions on LGBTQ healthcare disparities, and how we can try to reduce the disparities that they face. We have also had disability panels with the head of the NYC Mayor's Office of Disabilities & the head of NYPD office of disabilities, along with disabled patients, where we had the opportunity to learn about healthcare and life from their perspective, ranging from how they prefer to be addressed, difficulties in transportation (access-a-ride, etc.), and how we can be the best healthcare providers for them. In terms of humanities, NYU Langone Health offers Humanistic Medicine courses to its employees which a bunch of medical students take, including Vaccine Ethics, Inside The House of God (Led by the author of the book, Samuel Shem, who works at NYU), Art and Anatomy, End of Life Narratives, and The Art of Listening. I'm probably forgetting a bunch, but I hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask any follow-ups!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi BarryO43, thanks for the question! I'm not sure why it is not emphasized more on the website, but we do get an excellent education (from what I have seen so far, I'm a first year) about the healthcare system and disparities within healthcare. All of this falls under our practice of medicine course (along with physical exams, patient history, etc.). We've had lectures on topics varying from health insurance under the Affordable Care Act and potential future changes as well as value-based medicine from the Cheif of Medicine at NYU Brooklyn as well as lobbyists from Tisch Hospital (our private hospital) and Bellevue Hospital (our public hospital). In addition, we've had talks about the differences in our healthcare systems (private vs. public hospitals) looking at patient demographics, profits and payment systems, what patients most commonly present with, goals of the hospitals, etc. In terms of healthcare disparities, we have had lectures and small group sessions on LGBTQ healthcare disparities, and how we can try to reduce the disparities that they face. We have also had disability panels with the head of the NYC Mayor's Office of Disabilities & the head of NYPD office of disabilities, along with disabled patients, where we had the opportunity to learn about healthcare and life from their perspective, ranging from how they prefer to be addressed, difficulties in transportation (access-a-ride, etc.), and how we can be the best healthcare providers for them. In terms of humanities, NYU Langone Health offers Humanistic Medicine courses to its employees which a bunch of medical students take, including Vaccine Ethics, Inside The House of God (Led by the author of the book, Samuel Shem, who works at NYU), Art and Anatomy, End of Life Narratives, and The Art of Listening. I'm probably forgetting a bunch and I hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask any follow-ups!
Holy ****, I would pay full tuition to shake Samuel Shem's hand. Had no clue he worked there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi BarryO43, thanks for the question! I'm not sure why it is not emphasized more on the website, but we do get an excellent education (from what I have seen so far, I'm a first year) about the healthcare system and disparities within healthcare. All of this falls under our practice of medicine course (along with physical exams, patient history, etc.). We've had lectures on topics varying from health insurance under the Affordable Care Act and potential future changes as well as value-based medicine from the Cheif of Medicine at NYU Brooklyn as well as lobbyists from Tisch Hospital (our private hospital) and Bellevue Hospital (our public hospital). In addition, we've had talks about the differences in our healthcare systems (private vs. public hospitals) looking at patient demographics, profits and payment systems, what patients most commonly present with, goals of the hospitals, etc. In terms of healthcare disparities, we have had lectures and small group sessions on LGBTQ healthcare disparities, and how we can try to reduce the disparities that they face. We have also had disability panels with the head of the NYC Mayor's Office of Disabilities & the head of NYPD office of disabilities, along with disabled patients, where we had the opportunity to learn about healthcare and life from their perspective, ranging from how they prefer to be addressed, difficulties in transportation (access-a-ride, etc.), and how we can be the best healthcare providers for them. In terms of humanities, NYU Langone Health offers Humanistic Medicine courses to its employees which a bunch of medical students take, including Vaccine Ethics, Inside The House of God (Led by the author of the book, Samuel Shem, who works at NYU), Art and Anatomy, End of Life Narratives, and The Art of Listening. I'm probably forgetting a bunch, but I hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask any follow-ups!

This is fantastic, exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks so much for the detailed answer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a call from New York today. I really dislike telemarketers :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? Or if LOI's are important?

Updates: new 2020 USNWR rankings dropped today and NYU is #9! Down from #3 last year. Very glad to see they are trending closer to where they belong.

Updates: new 2020 USNWR rankings dropped today and NYU is #9! Down from #3 last year. Very glad to see they are trending closer to where they belong.
Lol you came from a year hiatus just to post this in the NYU thread?

Reactions: 10 users
Lol ouch. Still T10 though and I think it only changed because they changed the methodology again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao you posted the same thing in the Yale thread... did they both reject you?

Reactions: 8 users
what does “smart casual” mean for second look? aka can i wear jeans?

I would go with khakis/slacks or dress/skirt for the adcom and faculty events on Friday. Nice jeans may be appropriate for the social events with students on Friday evening and Saturday. That's just my personal interpretation though.

Is the general consensus that LOIs don't matter much here? On the waitlist and I'm debating if I should send one in.

Is the general consensus that LOIs don't matter much here? On the waitlist and I'm debating if I should send one in.
Shoot your shot man. Do your really wanna be wondering if there was more you could have done?

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I have a couple of questions about the grading system at NYU. I know preclinical is P/F, but I've seen some older posts saying that it's not true P/F (i.e. NYU does internal rankings). I'm not sure whether those posts were accurate, outdated, etc., so I wanted to check with people here. Also, are the clinical years graded on any sort of curve (like only a certain percentage of students can get Honors)?

Hey for people who were WL, when do you think offers might start to come out? Do you think there’s any chance that they may start after April 15? Considering that people have to narrow they choices down to 3 at that point.

Probably a couple after April 15th, the vast majority after April 30th. Assuming there would be any movement at all lol

Hello! I have a couple of questions about the grading system at NYU. I know preclinical is P/F, but I've seen some older posts saying that it's not true P/F (i.e. NYU does internal rankings). I'm not sure whether those posts were accurate, outdated, etc., so I wanted to check with people here. Also, are the clinical years graded on any sort of curve (like only a certain percentage of students can get Honors)?

Hi Drdrpizza, thanks for the questions! Preclinical is true pass-fail. There are no internal rankings, as long as you get above a 70 or two standard deviations away from the mean (whichever works more in the students' favour), you're golden. There are no curves that I have heard of for clinical years (although I am a first year). From what I know, you get your grade independent of everyone else. Feel free to ask any followups or any other questions!

@NYUAmbassadors or anyone else who might happen to know: when should we expect to receive information on applying for student housing? I'm eager to start planning my move!

Hi @boundlesscorpuscle, thanks for the question! Last year we received housing information sometime Mid-May. I'm not sure if it will be the same, but be on the look out for an email! Let us know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @boundlesscorpuscle, thanks for the question! Last year we received housing information sometime Mid-May. I'm not sure if it will be the same, but be on the look out for an email! Let us know if you have any other questions!
Is housing for the most part guaranteed for M1s as long as they submit the housing app or is there a lottery/waitlist? During second look they said that they'd be moving all the med students to Vilcek and then residents would be in Greenberg so just wandering if there would be any availability issues there.

@TempuraOreos As far as I know, housing is guaranteed for all M1's and all medical students at NYUSoM if you want it, as long as you submit the housing application by the deadline. It is true that all medical students are moving to Vilcek, but there should be more than enough room due to the recent decrease in class size. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Any ideas on what waitlist movement will be like this year?
I mean I don't think anyone has any idea, but they did say that they were basically only accepting 100 people, which means that if literally anybody decides not to go, that's a seat they need to fill. Or maybe I'm just being optimistic

For my neurotic friends out there, Dean Rivera just tweeted an hour ago that he's calling more acceptances out. Best of luck!!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
withdrew from the waitlist, good luck to everyone waiting.

Reactions: 4 users
The accepted student guide said an email containing housing information and student health forms would be sent in early April, did I miss mine?

I wonder if this school will have any WL movement at all?

I wonder if this school will have any WL movement at all?
I met quite a few people at second look who ended up going to other schools, so there definitely will be some spots!

Got a call and was accepted off the waitlist today.

I was pretty set on another school but that's a whole lotta cash to say no to. I am shook.

Reactions: 19 users
Apologies for the neuroticism, but does anyone have a feel for what WL movement will be like? Are we thinking one wave of offers (that may have already passed) or individual offers trickling out over the next couple weeks?

Hi @jagftype

I can't help you with any official numbers about the incoming class/WL movement, but this tweet from our recent Twitter chat may help!