Jun 5, 2018
+1000000 for the waitlist. I'm still really excited about this school, looks like it'll be months more to wait.

Two waitlists in one day... oh well, what can you do.

puahate

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it even worth applying to NYU with a 66 LM URM for next cycle? Seems like a crapshoot.

diazonium

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2015
Just got the fire WL. So does anyone know what the chances are of getting in? I already sent a letter of intent earlier this week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is by my math, can't speak to its validity :laugh:
Dean Rivera said he expected a 60% yield and planned on placing approximately 1/3 of the interview group on the WL. With 92 MD slots, for a 60% yield, approximately 150 acceptances are handed out. 1/3 of the interview group is approximately 300-350 people. So there are an additional 50 slots (100 total sent out already) for 300-350 people, for a post WL acceptance rate of 14%

Mar 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it even worth applying to NYU with a 66 LM URM for next cycle? Seems like a crapshoot.
If you have a stellar app outside of your stats and don't mind it potentially being a donation I would say go ahead. It's hard to say how strict they will be with URM. Unlike ORM high Stat applicants, there are only so many high Stat URMs, so 66 LM could still be considered at top schools if the rest of the app is top-notch

Reactions: dodolol21
Mar 13, 2018
This is by my math, can't speak to its validity :laugh:
Dean Rivera said he expected a 60% yield and planned on placing approximately 1/3 of the interview group on the WL. With 92 MD slots, for a 60% yield, approximately 150 acceptances are handed out. 1/3 of the interview group is approximately 300-350 people. So there are an additional 50 slots (100 total sent out already) for 300-350 people, for a post WL acceptance rate of 14%
I applaud you for being so thorough who knows hopefully both of us are a part of that 14!%

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: diazonium

deweystrontium

2+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2015
New England
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Just got placed on the waitlist. Though it might as well be an R, since I doubt any accepted student is gonna turn down free tuition. Then again, one can dream.

Reactions: soccerkid96
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Waitlisted... not really hoping for an acceptance at this point since it seems the waitlist pool is deep

freedoctor17

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
Just got placed on the waitlist. Though it might as well be an R, since I doubt any accepted student is gonna turn down free tuition. Then again, one can dream.
Don't forget the accepted students that get free tuition else where as well due to scholarships.

Reactions: here2help
Oct 17, 2018
New England
Status
Attending Physician
So curious if any acceptance calls have gone out/are going out today
Last batch of acceptances went out last week. Today was all WL and R. Many of the accepted students however are the same ones who will be getting good fin aid and merit awards at other places, and may not find out about these other offers (including HYPCC) until Mid-march or later if from WL.

Reactions: here2help
Dec 20, 2018
Status
Last batch of acceptances went out last week. Today was all WL and R. Many of the accepted students however are the same ones who will be getting good fin aid and merit awards at other places, and may not find out about these other offers (including HYPCC) until Mid-march or later if from WL.
What is HYPCC? Harvard Yale Penn Columbia Cornell? Bit of a random bunch of schools haha

Oct 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
WL yesterday as well!

Dec 14, 2018
So...the wait list email said the following:
"Given the large number of incredibly qualified candidates who have applied this year, achieving a position on our waitlist is a reflection of your outstanding record and achievements- particularly given that the number of individuals on our waitlist this year is also smaller than it has ever been in recent years."

What do you suppose is the number of folks on the waitlist?

Oct 17, 2018
New England
Status
Attending Physician
What is HYPCC? Harvard Yale Penn Columbia Cornell? Bit of a random bunch of schools haha
These are a group of east coast non-rolling admissions schools that usually don't send admissions decisions until a specified date in late February or even as late as mid-March. One of my advisees applied and got II to all of these and will therefore be waiting until Mid-March before he can make any decisions. (in the undergrad lingo, HYP stands for Harvard, Yale, Princeton - and then some people add M for MIT and S for Stanford, etc)

Reactions: StanleyYelnats
Dec 20, 2018
Status
These are a group of east coast non-rolling admissions schools that usually don't send admissions decisions until a specified date in late February or even as late as mid-March. One of my advisees applied and got II to all of these and will therefore be waiting until Mid-March before he can make any decisions. (in the undergrad lingo, HYP stands for Harvard, Yale, Princeton - and then some people add M for MIT and S for Stanford, etc)
Right, I’ve usually heard HYPSM as the top 5 most competitive undergrads, but have never encountered HYPCC. Thanks for clarifying.

Oct 17, 2018
New England
Status
Attending Physician
Right, I’ve usually heard HYPSM as the top 5 most competitive undergrads, but have never encountered HYPCC. Thanks for clarifying.
You never heard about it bc I made it up as shorthand for my advisee's east coast T20 interview invites with non-rollin admissions! Would have added an N for NYU I guess if that was non-rolling. Interestingly, he did not get II at Emory, GW, Georgetown, BU, Tufts, Dartmouth, Brown, Keck, UCLA, Baylor or Case, as well as several others. Just so everyone understands how complicated the II process is. He did have late complete date of mid-late Sept due to his UG sending committee letters late, but even someone who gets HYPCC is going to not get invited to plenty of other places.

Aug 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So...the wait list email said the following:
"Given the large number of incredibly qualified candidates who have applied this year, achieving a position on our waitlist is a reflection of your outstanding record and achievements- particularly given that the number of individuals on our waitlist this year is also smaller than it has ever been in recent years."

What do you suppose is the number of folks on the waitlist?
I believe around 300, going off the collective information heard from the Dean during interview day on this thread

Nov 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
How was it can I DM?
Yeah sure! I’m not sure how much help I will be though—it’s my understanding that the interview is different for each program. The leadership for the program interviews you in the same format they interview their potential residents I believe.

Aug 25, 2018
Did anyone else not receive any communication after their interview before being put on the WL? I'm still super confused as to why I never got a continued review email :S

Jan 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I believe they give free tuition and guaranteed placement into langone's health system for residency, although this is based on a post/article I saw a while back, might have changed for the guaranteed placement part.
I work for the NYU SOM and can confirm (based on the memo that went out) that it's still 3-year primary care with free tuition and conditional acceptance to residency at Winthrop. Unclear if they're pulling from the WL or if there's a second application or what (there is no public information on this as of yet) but the memo from the dean said 24 students will be starting in July if they get their final approval. Didn't apply to NYU because I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell but great news for those 24 folks!!

jjj4

5+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2013
Status
I work for the NYU SOM and can confirm (based on the memo that went out) that it's still 3-year primary care with free tuition and conditional acceptance to residency at Winthrop. Unclear if they're pulling from the WL or if there's a second application or what (there is no public information on this as of yet) but the memo from the dean said 24 students will be starting in July if they get their final approval. Didn't apply to NYU because I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell but great news for those 24 folks!!
It’s gonna be a separate application (according to their website). Primary submission on AMCAS should be available soon.

Mar 17, 2018
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
I just got an email about applying there. Did everyone get it? Maybe just because I applied to the 3-year MD in a primary care specialty.

Dec 6, 2018
I received the email too. Anyone know if it went to all applicants on AMCAS, just those who applied to NYU, or just those who had interviews? Just trying to figure out how many applicants for the new program they will get.

Reactions: non-trad-app