2018-2019 NYU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is HYPCC? Harvard Yale Penn Columbia Cornell? Bit of a random bunch of schools haha

I think they're all schools that send decisions in late February/early march.

Members don't see this ad.

So...the wait list email said the following:
"Given the large number of incredibly qualified candidates who have applied this year, achieving a position on our waitlist is a reflection of your outstanding record and achievements- particularly given that the number of individuals on our waitlist this year is also smaller than it has ever been in recent years."

What do you suppose is the number of folks on the waitlist?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is HYPCC? Harvard Yale Penn Columbia Cornell? Bit of a random bunch of schools haha
These are a group of east coast non-rolling admissions schools that usually don't send admissions decisions until a specified date in late February or even as late as mid-March. One of my advisees applied and got II to all of these and will therefore be waiting until Mid-March before he can make any decisions. (in the undergrad lingo, HYP stands for Harvard, Yale, Princeton - and then some people add M for MIT and S for Stanford, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
Right, I’ve usually heard HYPSM as the top 5 most competitive undergrads, but have never encountered HYPCC. Thanks for clarifying.
You never heard about it bc I made it up as shorthand for my advisee's east coast T20 interview invites with non-rollin admissions! Would have added an N for NYU I guess if that was non-rolling. Interestingly, he did not get II at Emory, GW, Georgetown, BU, Tufts, Dartmouth, Brown, Keck, UCLA, Baylor or Case, as well as several others. Just so everyone understands how complicated the II process is. He did have late complete date of mid-late Sept due to his UG sending committee letters late, but even someone who gets HYPCC is going to not get invited to plenty of other places.

So...the wait list email said the following:
"Given the large number of incredibly qualified candidates who have applied this year, achieving a position on our waitlist is a reflection of your outstanding record and achievements- particularly given that the number of individuals on our waitlist this year is also smaller than it has ever been in recent years."

What do you suppose is the number of folks on the waitlist?

I believe around 300, going off the collective information heard from the Dean during interview day on this thread

How was it can I DM?
Yeah sure! I’m not sure how much help I will be though—it’s my understanding that the interview is different for each program. The leadership for the program interviews you in the same format they interview their potential residents I believe.

Got a financial aid reminder and just about had a heart attack -_-

Reactions: 8 users
Did anyone else not receive any communication after their interview before being put on the WL? I'm still super confused as to why I never got a continued review email :S

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe they give free tuition and guaranteed placement into langone's health system for residency, although this is based on a post/article I saw a while back, might have changed for the guaranteed placement part.
I work for the NYU SOM and can confirm (based on the memo that went out) that it's still 3-year primary care with free tuition and conditional acceptance to residency at Winthrop. Unclear if they're pulling from the WL or if there's a second application or what (there is no public information on this as of yet) but the memo from the dean said 24 students will be starting in July if they get their final approval. Didn't apply to NYU because I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell but great news for those 24 folks!!

I work for the NYU SOM and can confirm (based on the memo that went out) that it's still 3-year primary care with free tuition and conditional acceptance to residency at Winthrop. Unclear if they're pulling from the WL or if there's a second application or what (there is no public information on this as of yet) but the memo from the dean said 24 students will be starting in July if they get their final approval. Didn't apply to NYU because I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell but great news for those 24 folks!!

It’s gonna be a separate application (according to their website). Primary submission on AMCAS should be available soon.

I just got an email about applying there. Did everyone get it? Maybe just because I applied to the 3-year MD in a primary care specialty.

I received the email too. Anyone know if it went to all applicants on AMCAS, just those who applied to NYU, or just those who had interviews? Just trying to figure out how many applicants for the new program they will get.

Any clues on when we might start hearing about wait list movement. Will it be May 1st?

Reactions: 1 users
I received the email too. Anyone know if it went to all applicants on AMCAS, just those who applied to NYU, or just those who had interviews? Just trying to figure out how many applicants for the new program they will get.
Currently on WL and no interview received

did anyone find out more info about the WL? Is it ranked, or split into priority tiers? How big is it?

Any clues on when we might start hearing about wait list movement. Will it be May 1st?
I expect there will not be much WL movement for NYU until April 15th, when top students SHOULD release all but 3 of their acceptances. The students already accepted at NYU will likely receive many offers of admission, including from UCSF, Stanford, Mayo, Columbia, Penn, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Duke, Vandy, Johns Hopkins, etc. Many will hold onto most of their spots until after second looks, and until they get their financial aid packages. Even though NYU is tuition-free, it may actually be less expensive for people to go to other schools, if they get high aid that takes into account COL, or if they get generous merit aid. And NYC is not for everybody - so others may choose other schools for geographic reasons.

I do think that most of the people accepted to NYU will be accepted to more than 3 schools, so there will be a good amount of movement on April 15th.

Expect some additional movement after May 1, when these lucky students must go down to 1 school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I expect there will not be much WL movement for NYU until April 15th, when top students must release all but 3 of their acceptances. The students already accepted at NYU will likely receive many offers of admission, including from UCSF, Stanford, Mayo, Columbia, Penn, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Duke, Vandy, Johns Hopkins, etc. Many will hold onto most of their spots until after second looks, and until they get their financial aid packages. Even though NYU is tuition-free, it may actually be less expensive for people to go to other schools, if they get high aid that takes into account COL, or if they get generous merit aid. And NYC is not for everybody - so others may choose other schools for geographic reasons.

I do think that most of the people accepted to NYU will be accepted to more than 3 schools, so there will be a good amount of movement on April 15th.

Expect some additional movement after May 1, when these lucky students must go down to 1 school.

Anecdotal n=1 here but I got accepted at NYU and big fat R’s from pretty much every other school on that list. It’s possible with the free tuition/smaller class, NYU’s selecting a more specific type of applicant? Either that or I just got super lucky at NYU...

Reactions: 3 users
Anecdotal n=1 here but I got accepted at NYU and big fat R’s from pretty much every other school on that list. It’s possible with the free tuition/smaller class, NYU’s selecting a more specific type of applicant? Either that or I just got super lucky at NYU...
With your LizzyM score though, I am not surprised by NYU acceptance. They like very high scoring applicants. Some of the other schools may be a bit more flexible on high high stats - if the student has a lot of other things going for them. And NYU will admit some students with great stories, but lower stats, but then they need to accept 6 more students with high stats to make up for them. I think they were tied with highest MCAT score last year?

Didn't you have a 528 though lol

While I recieved 10+ interviews, I ultimately only had 6 of them from top 20 including NYU. My MCAT was also below their mean and not a 520 either. I don't think they are as stat heavy this year as people predict, or that waitlist movement will be as tremendous as people are projecting. I expect there to be a few people moving, but from conversations with other fellow accepted applicants to NYU, I think that the location, increasing trajectory in terms of prestige and scores, and free tuition will do it for the overwhelming majority of people.

A lot of it depends on competing merit aid from other schools to combat NYU's free tuition.

Are there any factors that would make those here not choose NYU? Like others have mentioned, I think only significant merit/need-based aid at other top schools would sway your average applicant.

Are there any factors that would make those here not choose NYU? Like others have mentioned, I think only significant merit/need-based aid at other top schools would sway your average applicant.

I suppose if people find themselves unable to stomach the idea of living in Manhattan, that may do it. The city is a great place, but it definitely isn’t for everyone!

There are also the students with rich parents paying everything who may like california weather or some of the other T10s a little better than NYU and not care about the cost difference. 50% of MD matriculants come from families in the top 20% of U.S. incomes.

Yeah I think its really fair that full COA or COT at schools that accepted applicants are interested in could do it

There are also the students with rich parents paying everything who may like california weather or some of the other T10s a little better than NYU and not care about the cost difference. 50% of MD matriculants come from families in the top 20% of U.S. incomes.

Just curious to know if this is limited to med school bc i would think this probably correlates well with many other professional fields like law and business. Also, that stat isnt even that crazy. Without doing any research into it myself, i would venture to say that this is actually evidence of social mobility in the US.
Finally, 20% of the highest income families in the US is not that much money. The overwhelming majority of these people will not be able to pay for their childs tuition. I know families in the 1% who cannot just throw money at tuition. It may be surprising to some that qualifying for the 1% of america isnt extremely difficult in terms of income.

Just curious to know if this is limited to med school bc i would think this probably correlates well with many other professional fields like law and business. Also, that stat isnt even that crazy. Without doing any research into it myself, i would venture to say that this is actually evidence of social mobility in the US.
Finally, 20% of the highest income families in the US is not that much money. The overwhelming majority of these people will not be able to pay for their childs tuition. I know families in the 1% who cannot just throw money at tuition. It may be surprising to some that qualifying for the 1% of america isnt extremely difficult in terms of income.

I can't speak for other professional fields but to me that statistic is rather surprising and disheartening because I believe (believed?) that our system of creating physicians has become extremely meritocratic, a bastion almost for other fields to strive towards; however seeing that half still come from the upper echelon of SES makes me worry there's still a lot of progress to be made and also that other fields suffer from even worse disparities without all the "safeguards" in place that we have in medicine to increase access to low income aspirants.

As for what you're saying about paying for tuition, I definitely agree. I believe that top 20% of income correlates to ~$150,000+ gross family income. I would not expect the vast majority of families with $150,000 income to be able to shell out $80k a year for their child's full COA, so I'm definitely not saying that 50% of applicants would fall under the category of not caring about scholarships. However, as far as I've seen AAMC release income distributions in quintiles so that group is as precise as I know. If anyone has data on the representation of the top 10, 5, and/or 1% of incomes among matriculants, I would be very interested to see it!

For me, if cost wasn't an issue I'd be willing to turn down NYU that I liked maybe just a little more. But seeing asas how they've given me a ridiculously good merit aid offer, the only that would sway me is if another school comes close to that offer (w/o including loans). Really like my experience at NYU and exploring NYC so I'll be happy regardless.

Last edited:
I can't speak for other professional fields but to me that statistic is rather surprising and disheartening because I believe (believed?) that our system of creating physicians has become extremely meritocratic, a bastion almost for other fields to strive towards; however seeing that half still come from the upper echelon of SES makes me worry there's still a lot of progress to be made and also that other fields suffer from even worse disparities without all the "safeguards" in place that we have in medicine to increase access to low income aspirants.

As for what you're saying about paying for tuition, I definitely agree. I believe that top 20% of income correlates to ~$150,000+ gross family income. I would not expect the vast majority of families with $150,000 income to be able to shell out $80k a year for their child's full COA, so I'm definitely not saying that 50% of applicants would fall under the category of not caring about scholarships. However, as far as I've seen AAMC release income distributions in quintiles so that group is as precise as I know. If anyone has data on the representation of the top 10, 5, and/or 1% of incomes among matriculants, I would be very interested to see it!
How do you define a meritocracy?

How do you define a meritocracy?
Well if a democracy is a system in which the people choose who has power then I would say a meritocracy is one in which it is determined by merit. Merit to me means achievement, but achievement depends on your background. To some, graduating high school is a huge achievement because they had a lot more working against them to get to that point than someone growing up in a well off family, without learning disability, etc. The problem is its very difficult to assess achievement with respect to someone's background from an admissions standpoint, which is why imo it's best for a meritocratic system to try to give equal opportunities and reduce challenges which create discrepancies in individual achievement and how it's viewed externally. If that were achieved I believe matriculants would reflect much more closely the economic distribution of the general population.

Edit: just realized this conversation is not really on topic for the thread. Feel free to PM me or open a new thread if you want to continue

There are some people with the 2 body problem. Whether it is 2 people applying to med school, or one to med School and one to law school/business school/phD programs, NYC is not always going to work out for the other partner. (Boston may win out sometimes, having a lot of other top tier grad and professional schools, for some couples). In addition, there are other careers that the partner may be interested in where the job market is just really tough. Lawyers and teachers have a tough time getting jobs in NYC, even though there are plenty of those types of jobs, someone coming from another part of the country might be very surprised at how hard it can be to get a job.

Moreover, those med students with children might decide NYC is a tough go in that way. When I applied to medical school, I already had 2 kids and immediately ruled out NYC due to the costs involved in raising a family in the city.

And some people will get a nice deal from some other great schools. So though the free tuition is great and they are covering living expenses for some students with great merit and/or need, there will be other students for whom the costs will be equivalent to some of their other choices.

There are some people with the 2 body problem. Whether it is 2 people applying to med school, or one to med School and one to law school/business school/phD programs, NYC is not always going to work out for the other partner. (Boston may win out sometimes, having a lot of other top tier grad and professional schools, for some couples). In addition, there are other careers that the partner may be interested in where the job market is just really tough. Lawyers and teachers have a tough time getting jobs in NYC, even though there are plenty of those types of jobs, someone coming from another part of the country might be very surprised at how hard it can be to get a job.

Not even NYU can top the power of love ;)

For the new school in Mineola, my understanding is that the guaranteed residency slot is at Mineola. Anybody have information on the quality of the residency program there vs the broader langone system?

Hey guys! We just wanted to let you all know that we have a new Instagram (@nyusomadmissions) that you guys can follow for information about admissions, financial aid, and general student life here at NYU! And, as always, you can message this account if you have any questions about NYU (or medical school life in general)- everyone on this account is a medical student with no bearing on admissions, so feel free to ask anything!

Is the regular NYU thread also gonna be where NYU Long Island is discussed? Sorry if this has already been said.

There is a thread in the main pre-allopathic forum about this new medical school:
New Medical School - NYU Long Island Medical School

@NYULI Admin can answer questions.

scroll up, an admin posted a link to a separate thread

Maybe its just me, but that link doesn't seem to be working. Anyone else having the same problem/can link me the discussion thread? Has anyone received a secondary application yet?

Also, does anyone know if international students (Canadian) are eligible for the free tuition? Is it partial, full, or no aid? If there is no aid, then is there a rough idea on the estimated cost of attendance at NYU long-island?

Thanks in advance!

Anyone know if this school of open to letters of intent from waitlisted candidates?

Question about the curriculum: Based on what I see on the website, NYU doesn't seem to have any courses/focus on stuff like the healthcare system or disparities within healthcare (I guess what you could call the sociological/humanities aspects of medicine). Am I just overlooking this or does NYU not have this focus within the curriculum? It seemed like most schools I interviewed at where making it an active point to implement these topics into their curriculum in very intentional ways so wasn't sure why/if NYU was an odd one out.

Question about the curriculum: Based on what I see on the website, NYU doesn't seem to have any courses/focus on stuff like the healthcare system or disparities within healthcare (I guess what you could call the sociological/humanities aspects of medicine). Am I just overlooking this or does NYU not have this focus within the curriculum? It seemed like most schools I interviewed at where making it an active point to implement these topics into their curriculum in very intentional ways so wasn't sure why/if NYU was an odd one out.

I have found a few offering through their master scholars program in humanistic medicine.