2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got secondary today, guess I need to get a haircut to make my video :D

I didn't cut my hair or shave ha. just looked decent with a shirt and tie.

Members don't see this ad.

Just FYI for anybody wondering, it doesn’t seem like the non-automatic aspect of their prescreen for the secondary is that selective. I got an invite email this morning, and my GPA is wayyyyy below their automatic cut-off, which means that someone took a look at my stats and still decided to send one. I am a URM and my MCAT is pretty high, but I still wasn’t expecting the invite based on the GPA.
Based on the flow chart: if MCAT is below 495 or you have felony convictions they won't consider you for admission, period. But since your MCAT is good, due to the GPA your app was likely forwarded to the special admissions committee. Regardless, congrats on the secondary invite!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I was going for casual Friday polo, I thought it was a non-tie video?

some people wore ties in their video, some didn't. they're on youtube. just look decent!

Hey guys, my primary was transmitted 6/4 and I was TMDSAS verified 6/11. My stats meet the GPA/MCAT cutoffs (despite low MCAT), but it's been almost a month and I haven't received a secondary invite or confirmation that my primary was received. Should I contact someone or continue waiting?

Last edited:
Hey guys, my primary was transmitted 6/7 and I was TMDSAS verified 6/11. My stats meet the GPA/MCAT cutoffs (despite low MCAT), but it's been almost a month and I haven't received a secondary invite or confirmation that my primary was received. My committee letter hasn't been uploaded yet, but should be soon. Should I contact someone or continue waiting?
It takes a couple of days. I got mine transmitted on July 3rd (submitted June 18th) and got the secondary this past Friday.

On the question where we can write about a creative endeavor, can baking be considered one?

Cooking is certainly an art, and so is baking, neither of which I got the hang of. I draw, though, so that's what I wrote about. Had a hard time containing my answer to the word limit...I loved that question and creativity is super important to me.

Reactions: 1 users
I transmitted back in May (the 14th to be exact), and I've yet to receive a secondary invite. My GPA and MCAT are well above the "minimum" (GPA ~3.7, sGPA ~3.5 and MCAT 508-510). Should I be concerned that I haven't heard anything? All LORs are in, and I have heard back from every other TMDSAS school. I'm just really confused.

I transmitted back in May (the 14th to be exact), and I've yet to receive a secondary invite. My GPA and MCAT are well above the "minimum" (GPA ~3.7, sGPA ~3.5 and MCAT 508-510). Should I be concerned that I haven't heard anything? All LORs are in, and I have heard back from every other TMDSAS school. I'm just really confused.
Are you talking about secondary or interview?

I'm in the same boat...

Members don't see this ad :)
I transmitted a day after you and got the secondary on 6/7. I second contacting the school, because I've seen on other school threads that sometimes the email doesn't get through. UTRGV doesn't send secondaries to everybody, but you'd pass at least their stats screening. If there's other criteria involved I'm not sure, but otherwise I don't see why you wouldn't get it. Hope you do, though!

II a few minutes ago! Crying.

Transmitted: 5/24
Secondary Invite: 6/7
Secondary Submitted: 6/16

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats guys!

Also, UTRGV provides fee waivers for the secondary as long as you email them and then send the AAMC Fee Assistance Program email you received for approval.

To those who got IIs (congrats btw!), do you have any ties to the RGV area? URM?

Yikes. Not looking good for me, lol.

I have those exact stats. 3.6/506 IS and submitted 6/11.

Still early, my man. You got this. Not over till the proverbial fat lady sings.

To those that got IIs (congrats btw!), do you have any ties to the RGV area? URM?

No ties, I'm nontraditional, pretty decent amount of EC's, ORM.

Ok, that may be the motivation I need to finally get around to doing the secondary. Congrats guys!

Reactions: 1 user
For those with II, what day was your video watched? Haha, mega neurotic here. lol

Looks like 7/2

This gives me hope, lol. I don’t have Some random 41 sec view on July 1st, but that’s a Sunday. I’m hoping mine hasn’t been watched yet, and not that it was a crappy app. Bless

FWIW, I was complete late June and my video has yet to be viewed. Either they looked at my primary and put my app in the trash without looking at the secondary (lol) or they haven't gotten to a lot of apps. Also keep in mind, we don't know how they review apps. Certain apps could go to certain adcom members, etc.

This is the first wave of IIs, don't give up people! I didn't get a TTU II in the first wave but I got one eventually. I know it's hard to be patient but we don't have a choice. Don't let these apps determine your self worth!

Reactions: 2 users
Also complete in late June and my video hasn't been seen yet. Congrats to those who got IIs and I hope that the rest of us waiting get our turn sometime!

II today!!!!!

Secondary submitted 6/21 and video appears to be watched (unlisted)
Primary submitted in May with LOR and MCAT
LizzyM ~ 77

app was completed 6/20, video's been watched, no II
:( trying to stay hopeful

app was completed 6/20, video's been watched, no II
:( trying to stay hopeful

Don't lose hope! Its still only July! I know its frustrating to hear that but if it helps there were only dates available in August and September. They interview well into January so there are still 4 months worth of interview days they haven't even scheduled! My app was complete a week before yours and it took a bit of time between video being watched and II.:)

Reactions: 2 users
Need some advice here. I emailed UTRGV asking about having received a secondary or not, but I have yet to hear back. So, I took some "initiative" and went to their secondary app site and typed in my TMDSAS ID (like every other secondary app). Turns out I actually had a profile and I just had to reset the password. The issue is the secondary app appears to be a written one which is different from the rest of the video secondary applications every one else is getting. Should I go ahead and fill out this written version? Or should I wait to hear back from UTRGV? I don't want to spend another $50+ if it's not a legitimate secondary app.

Need some advice here. I emailed UTRGV asking about having received a secondary or not, but I have yet to hear back. So, I took some "initiative" and went to their secondary app site and typed in my TMDSAS ID (like every other secondary app). Turns out I actually had a profile and I just had to reset the password. The issue is the secondary app appears to be a written one which is different from the rest of the video secondary applications every one else is getting. Should I go ahead and fill out this written version? Or should I wait to hear back from UTRGV? I don't want to spend another $50+ if it's not a legitimate secondary app.
I would probably hold off, since they do mention on their website there is a preliminary screen.

The app is written btw. There’s just one question that gets answered via a video you upload.

The app is written btw. There’s just one question that gets answered via a video you upload.
You're right! I completely missed that reading the questions the first time through. I'll still wait and see if they respond before I submit anything, but thank you! Saved me from a lot of stress lol

You're right! I completely missed that reading the questions the first time through. I'll still wait and see if they respond before I submit anything, but thank you! Saved me from a lot of stress lol

Wysdoc was saying in the main Texas forum that school just started this week for them and probably other schools so there might be a lag in response time. It won't hurt to have that video all prepped though, lol, it took me a good 25-30 tries before I was finally happy and it was still a little cringey.

They emailed me back today saying that their records showed that I was emailed a Secondary. I checked my spam and everything, but seems like it never went through, so I asked if they could resend it.

Haven't gotten any II's from Texas schools yet. Should I be worried?

IS, low GPA, high MCAT

Anyone’s video get watched recently? I feel like my app is just sitting around somewhere, not being touched lol

Anyone’s video get watched recently? I feel like my app is just sitting around somewhere, not being touched lol
Yeah same lol, my video hasn't been watched so we will see how long it takes

I called for clarification today and they stated that for the video question it was okay to talk about your experiences with science and medicine.