ReturnToMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2016
Long time lurker who has been commiserating with ya'll. Figured I'd make an account to share that I was accepted off my one and only waitlist recently, to my dream school!! Big time reinventor here so feel free to shoot me a message for more info/anecdotal suggestions Best of luck to those still waiting, you're all gonna make the best docs one day!
Congrats long time listener, first time caller

Jun 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Long time lurker who has been commiserating with ya'll. Figured I'd make an account to share that I was accepted off my one and only waitlist recently, to my dream school!! Big time reinventor here so feel free to shoot me a message for more info/anecdotal suggestions Best of luck to those still waiting, you're all gonna make the best docs one day!
Can you share how you reinvent yourself to become more competitive? Thank you!

Also, congrats and well-deserved!

May 23, 2018
hey everyone, I am trying to compile a list of CTE deadlines. Anyways if you know of or interviewed at any school follow the link and upload the dates. Directions are attached. This is a list of nearly every medical school from MSAR (except texas schools, sorry but feel free to add them as well) and I am trying to get all the deadlines in one place.

May 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Was accepted last week off one of my waitlists and am super stoked! PTE’d and was typing my withdrawal from my other waitlist this morning when They called and accepted me?! Ah the timing. Surprised and bless to now have options when it’s mid June. The waitlists are moving so keep your heads up! Hoping one of you gets my soon to be open seat :)

Jul 3, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Was accepted last week off one of my waitlists and am super stoked! PTE’d and was typing my withdrawal from my other waitlist this morning when They called and accepted me?! Ah the timing. Surprised and bless to now have options when it’s mid June. The waitlists are moving so keep your heads up! Hoping one of you gets my soon to be open seat :)
Congratulations!! May I ask which school?

Jun 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
What a nice way to end a drawn-out application cycle!:clap:

introp445

2+ Year Member
May 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
so I guess July really is going to be crazy if that is the expectation.
That’s what everyone seems to be saying. Not really sure. I personally don’t think there would be a ton of movement that late. I wouldn’t expect the schools to put themselves in a position to have to scramble like that. Then again, that’s just my thoughts. I would think most schools have slightly overaccepted at this point, expecting a few students to leave.

ReturnToMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2016
That’s what everyone seems to be saying. Not really sure. I personally don’t think there would be a ton of movement that late. I wouldn’t expect the schools to put themselves in a position to have to scramble like that. Then again, that’s just my thoughts. I would think most schools have slightly overaccepted at this point, expecting a few students to leave.
well i need them to put themselves in said position.

Nov 5, 2018
Congrats!!! Are you committing to UK or UofL?

Jun 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Can someone explain to me again how CTE deadlines will affect waitlist movement? Cause I still don't get it. If all classes are full (probably true at this point) and no one is holding multiple acceptances (probably mostly true at this point), every PTE should turn into a CTE and we should see no waitlist movement. I don't see a mechanism for any more movement than the usual trickle coming from people withdrawing from every school altogether to occur.

Dec 2, 2018
Can someone explain to me again how CTE deadlines will affect waitlist movement? Cause I still don't get it. If all classes are full (probably true at this point) and no one is holding multiple acceptances (probably mostly true at this point), every PTE should turn into a CTE and we should see no waitlist movement. I don't see a mechanism for any more movement than the usual trickle coming from people withdrawing from every school altogether to occur.
I think the key word there is “mostly.” Also people are still getting off waitlists will cause them to leave other spots open at other schools as long as they have other acceptances.

Reactions: Meridian17

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Because, some schools will tell a person to Commit by their deadline or lose their spot. If half the class is carrying the PTE designation only and are too passive, then the seats will be open

May 23, 2018
not every school is using the CTE/PTE tool, there fore if a student CTE/PTE they have to drop off of those schools, there are atleast 10 schools that I have found not using the tool, thus around 1000 students that could still be sitting on more than 1 acceptance, essencially you could hold an acceptance at 1 school that has PTE and one that does not depending on each individual school requirements. also dropping off waitlists makes them shorter and thus more likely that a student will get in.

Aug 25, 2018
Also, the TMDSAS (Texas schools) are separate. Should a student get accepted into their program, they may then drop their PTE or CTE. This would add some movement.

Jan 21, 2019
I wonder how true it is that no one is holding multiple acceptances. Even if it is mostly true, that's going to open a lot of seats once people have to commit to a single school (which doesn't even appear to be the case with CTE). With schools being slow with some financial aid packages, I could easily see that number being impactful. I know for a fact one of my WL schools hasn't released scholarship info yet. It stinks, but I don't blame applicants for waiting to know what the true COA is going to be before making a decision. Applicants also try to get schools to match scholarship offers which may take a lot of time. There was just a school X vs school Y post on the sub reddit.

Oct 16, 2018
@gyngyn what are your thoughts about this? I have been wondering the same thing

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn what are your thoughts about this? I have been wondering the same thing
As none of the current designations (CTE, PTE) are enforced by the AAMC, and because many schools are still trying to figure out out how they will require students to use them, it is entirely likely that there will be spots opened up by students who are accepted off a waitlist that open up a spot at a (previously) filled school.

Reactions: medimed2

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn ,

Are most schools at this point at a 1:1 ratio for pulling students off the waitlist when an accepted student drops their acceptance?
Many are still hoping for more withdrawals to hit their target class size. This is what is messing up my prediction of a dramatic June increase in WL action.

Reactions: nurse2doc2367
May 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Many are still hoping for more withdrawals to hit their target class size. This is what is messing up my prediction of a dramatic June increase in WL action.
Dang it. Med schools need to get a wee bit bigger.

May 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you re-evaluated your previous conjecture? When should we expect WL movement en masse? :shrug:

Dec 4, 2018
I wonder how true it is that no one is holding multiple acceptances. Even if it is mostly true, that's going to open a lot of seats once people have to commit to a single school (which doesn't even appear to be the case with CTE). With schools being slow with some financial aid packages, I could easily see that number being impactful. I know for a fact one of my WL schools hasn't released scholarship info yet. It stinks, but I don't blame applicants for waiting to know what the true COA is going to be before making a decision. Applicants also try to get schools to match scholarship offers which may take a lot of time. There was just a school X vs school Y post on the sub reddit.
I know someone holding two acceptances, tho it will be one by the end of the week. Also, the person accepted a few posts above, has 2 acceptances it at the moment, so things are still fluid.

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
It looks more like slow and consistent now.
I'm happy to hear this because at least it's still gonna be happening instead of being over!
One size does not fit all. It is not slow and consistent across the board. At the mid tier and lower tier schools, it's a mixed bag. Some have had decent movement, others have had little movement, and a few have had no movement, but may in the future.

Movement is definitely not over. But it is lumpy. Check your specific school.

Reactions: Pnomnomnom

ReturnToMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2016
@gyngyn are demographics destiny in if you get off a waitlist? as in schools try to replace an applicant with a waitlisted one that is of the same background and same scores? so you wouldn't see a male applicant replace a female applicant for example

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn are demographics destiny in if you get off a waitlist? as in schools try to replace an applicant with a waitlisted one that is of the same background and same scores? so you wouldn't see a male applicant replace a female applicant for example
If a school is left with very few women and a man withdraws, he will be replaced by a woman (all things being equal).
MCAT and gpa may well take a backseat to the enthusiasm of the committee.
The waitlist is an opportunity to re-balance a class in line with a school's mission, not just the school's stats. Unless the school's stats=the mission!

ReturnToMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2016
If a school is left with very few women and a man withdraws, he will be replaced by a woman (all things being equal).
MCAT and gpa may well take a backseat to the enthusiasm of the committee.
The waitlist is an opportunity to re-balance a class in line with a school's mission, not just the school's stats. Unless the school's stats=the mission!
thx for the explanation

May 23, 2018
talk to your school, I can speak for Boonshoft as it is a true numbered list (i.e if student 1 withdraws then student 2 is accepted). West Virginia on the other hand used a grouped waitlist meaning that you could be in multiple groups based on instate/ out of state, life experience, non-traditional ect. and you can be pooled based on that. It is a school specfic thing though but in my experience you can call and often the school will disclose it.

Reactions: ReturnToMed