This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have a consensus as to at what point a school is most likely to pull from WL? Has it been a couple days before CTE? A couple weeks?

Reactions: 1 user
Do we have a consensus as to at what point a school is most likely to pull from WL? Has it been a couple days before CTE? A couple weeks?
I would think it would be AFTER the CTE date has passed, when they see that some of their admitted students failed to commit...

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually like the job, but it's just the knowledge that I'm not progressing anywhere that kills me. Plus the aforementioned other issues. Job itself is fine and I feel good coming home from work most days, which is more than I think most people can say.

When I read this post and feel the exact same way.

Reactions: 1 users
The question isn't whether I can get there, but whether I can get there soon enough.
I don't want to be an M2 while my college friends are in the middle of residency, and I don't want to be a 40 year old resident with a 30 year old attending in charge of me, but it appears that will be the case.

None of that is as bad as you think. I’ve been a 30 year old in the military with 20 year olds in charge of me, and I’ll be a 40 year old resident with—I’m sure—late 20s and 30 year olds in charge of me. If you have any humility, it’s not a big deal. You can learn from anyone.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
None of that is as bad as you think. I’ve been a 30 year old in the military with 20 year olds in charge of me, and I’ll be a 40 year old resident with—I’m sure—late 20s and 30 year olds in charge of me. If you have any humility, it’s not a big deal. You can learn from anyone.
yes, it was the same for me. Also, i was a junior enlisted, single, so i had to live in the barracks with other 18-23 year olds. And honestly, they sort of looked at me as a "mom" figure (in a good way). They trusted me to "keep an eye on them" to not get in trouble (like, not getting in trouble to excessive drinking), i was advocating for them a lot, because NCOs and COs listened to be a bit better, because they thought i was more mature. And yes, a lot of supervisors were younger than me, but you just have to trust that they are your supervisors because they DO have more experience, and you can definitely learn from that.

As far as "life slipping away" and you wasting it... i hear you. I wll be 37 when i graduate. But there is NOTHING i can do to change it. I can either be depressed about it, or take it for what it is, and make the best of it.

Reactions: 3 users
yes, it was the same for me. Also, i was a junior enlisted, single, so i had to live in the barracks with other 18-23 year olds. And honestly, they sort of looked at me as a "mom" figure (in a good way). They trusted me to "keep an eye on them" to not get in trouble (like, not getting in trouble to excessive drinking), i was advocating for them a lot, because NCOs and COs listened to be a bit better, because they thought i was more mature. And yes, a lot of supervisors were younger than me, but you just have to trust that they are your supervisors because they DO have more experience, and you can definitely learn from that.

As far as "life slipping away" and you wasting it... i hear you. I wll be 37 when i graduate. But there is NOTHING i can do to change it. I can either be depressed about it, or take it for what it is, and make the best of it.
Bless you guys. I’m 25 and I already feel that graduating at 29 is old

Reactions: 5 users
Ya, I'm a 30 year old firefighter. I have guys who are 22 that outrank me, and I trust them completely. No one handed them their jobs--they earned it.

If you're worried about wasting life go join a volunteer fire department. You need no special skills to join and they will put you to meaningful work. If it totally sucks you can just leave, because you're a volunteer and they don't own you. You'll still pursue your dream of being a doctor and make sure you have purposeful life experiences throughout.

Reactions: 4 users
I actually like the job, but it's just the knowledge that I'm not progressing anywhere that kills me. Plus the aforementioned other issues. Job itself is fine and I feel good coming home from work most days, which is more than I think most people can say.
Alternate career development and med school application development do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions in the premed community is that you have to spend your gap years scribing, doing bench research, or as a medical assistant. While each of these options undoubtedly provides excellent premed experience, there are many other paths you can take that allow for simultaneous professional development and exposure to the health care or life sciences industries that bolster a med school application.

Alternate career development and med school application development do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions in the premed community is that you have to spend your gap years scribing, doing bench research, or as a medical assistant. While each of these options undoubtedly provides excellent premed experience, there are many other paths you can take that allow for simultaneous professional development and exposure to the health care or life sciences industries that bolster a med school application.
Some of my feedback i received for why I was rejected was because I pursued a grad degree in an alternative field, so I have basically been barred from building an alternative career path for now.

• Wow

The hard part is finding these positions that are willing to take on a premed. Not many places outside of scribing, research, or MA work want to hire someone for a year or two tops. I doubt I could find a job in my field of chemical engineering if I'm honest up front, which I would want to be, or be able to accumulate time off in time for interviews.

Some of my feedback i received for why I was rejected was because I pursued a grad degree in an alternative field, so I have basically been barred from building an alternative career path for now.
Wow, are you serious? Can you elaborate?

I can also PM you if you'd prefer not to share openly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Random thought...are there any medical schools which include Myers-Briggs Type Indicator as a part of their application process? If not, should there be? I remember having had to take it for a couple of job interviews and the profile for my personality type result, surprisingly, hits pretty close to home.

Random thought...are there any medical schools which include Myers-Briggs Type Indicator as a part of their application process? If not, should there be? I remember having had to take it for a couple of job interviews and the profile for my personality type result, surprisingly, hits pretty close to home.
MBTI is astrology for intelligent people. Change my mind.

Reactions: 5 users

I imagine some severe neuroticism would spin out from trying to game this test, just like what we see with CASPER

Bless you guys. I’m 25 and I already feel that graduating at 29 is old

Lol I remeber freaking out about the prospect of maybe getting into med school at 25. Now, almost 30, I feel like a ***** for worrying

Is CASPER really that serious of prep?
No, that's the point I'm making. CASPER is supposed to be a scenario-based baseline assessment of your ethics. When you sign up for the exam the testing company gives you like a 30 min tutorial/practice session to get a feel for the exam's platform (e.g., question delivery, text fields, etc.) - outside of this, I have no idea why you would need to prepare for CASPER.

Reactions: 2 users
Some peer advice for those who are fearing a gap year...
Gap years, planned or not, are entirely what you make of them. Improve your app, work in the healthcare field, work outside the healthcare field, travel, pay off debt, do something that when you choose to reapply, you can talk about proudly. Change. If you’re unhappy in a current job and you dread having to stay there for 1+ more years before matriculation, look for a different job or at least find a different activity that you DO enjoy. You’re much more likely to make an impression on a PS or Interview if you can talk about a new (even non-healthcare) experience that means something to you, rather than talking about hundreds of scribing hours that bored you to death. Show growth and positivity and a commitment to bring those new skills and a good attitude to the medical field.

And do it for your own sanity, not necessarily for admission to school. You owe it to yourself.

This comes from someone who took a planned gap year and got EMT certified, had an unsuccessful first cycle, waited another cycle while working full time in a non-heathcare professional field, and then reapplied and gained 1 acceptance, 2 waitlists, and cancelled 3 other interviews this cycle. Sure I continued to shadow and volunteer, but the biggest factor in the success of the second cycle was my work experience, professional growth, supervisor LORs, etc. And being able to communicate how I can translate what I learned in my professional work environment into skills that will help in school and as a physician.

You guys got this. I was just as unhappy as many of you a few years ago. I’m thankful to get in this time around, but it turns out, I wouldn’t trade my unplanned gap year. Just make it count

Reactions: 8 users
I’ve followed this thread for a while, and I fully understand everyone’s anxiety going through this process. I stayed on 2 wait lists last year and the exact same thing happened again this year. It sucks. Waking up, checking your phone/email throughout the day, and going to bed hoping the next day turns out different. But It happens when you least expect it, like 6pm on a Wednesday.

And I couldn’t believe it happened just like that. My first acceptance after an exhausting 3 cycles. I nearly submitted my would be 4th app. The only thing I can say is it feels 100% earned. If you make improvements and persevere, it will work out. I know it’s so easy to say that now, but I truly do mean it.

And I know some of you think getting feedback from schools isn’t useful, and I thought that too. Sure some schools may just give you their average stats, but one dean gave me detailed and thorough feedback. He suggested how to structure my work/activities, what to nix from my personal statement, and types of volunteering/shadowing to add. I thought I was weak with LOR and clinical, but he said they were both great actually. I literally had an entire page of notes from constantly writing. Honestly my biggest regret is not asking for feedback a couple cycles ago - i could’ve avoided unnecessary stress and waiting. That 15-minute phone call was more helpful than any premed advisor meeting.

If anyone has any questions or wants to chat, shoot me a pm. I want nothing more than to see you all succeed.

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
So I got accepted to a DO program 1,500 miles away from home, and Orientation is August 5. I’m also on 7 MD WL with pure silence from them so far, with limited movement from SDN-specific threads. Was planning on looking for an apartment by the DO school next week if I don’t hear anything by Friday the 21st. Would you guys suggest sticking to this plan, or waiting out longer?

I have some what of an odd question. Recently I came across a professor at one of the schools I’m waitlisted at who does research in a field I’m very interested/have past have experiences in. I don’t know if it’s weird but could I send an email to them with my interest and state that I would love to learn more about their research and if accepted I would like to do research under them if there are open opportunities. I don’t want it to seem like I’m bombarding faculty/pestering. Would this be an okay or would adcoms have an issue with this?

So I got accepted to a DO program 1,500 miles away from home, and Orientation is August 5. I’m also on 7 MD WL with pure silence from them so far, with limited movement from SDN-specific threads. Was planning on looking for an apartment by the DO school next week if I don’t hear anything by Friday the 21st. Would you guys suggest sticking to this plan, or waiting out longer?

I did exactly that. I just signed a lease for an apartment but I made sure that the buyout of the lease was affordable and allowed me to sublease just in case. It would also depend on the CTE dates of the 7 schools you’re waitlisted at and when the start dates are of those schools.

Did you write a LOI to the MD school that you have a good shot of getting off of [stats wise]? Saying you have a DO acceptance and would drop the acceptance and all WL positions if accepted to [x MD school] may help. If not, emailing admissions that you're still interested in their program could help [showing interest is good, spamming and being annoying is bad]. If you've done all of the above, just sitting and waiting is your best bet. I'd def start looking at apartments though since all you have rn is that acceptance.

I have some what of an odd question. Recently I came across a professor at one of the schools I’m waitlisted at who does research in a field I’m very interested/have past have experiences in. I don’t know if it’s weird but could I send an email to them with my interest and state that I would love to learn more about their research and if accepted I would like to do research under them if there are open opportunities. I don’t want it to seem like I’m bombarding faculty/pestering. Would this be an okay or would adcoms have an issue with this?
Welcome to networking

Lol does that mean it’s okay to email?
Lol, yes. This is what's commonly referred to as an "informational interview"; it's commonplace and often times the first step toward getting the job you want.

I shouldn't laugh - as a former bench scientist who transitioned to cubicle life a few years ago, there are so many of these "office life survival skills" things they just don't teach us in the lab or as premeds.

Worst case scenario is you either get ignored or the professor just doesn't have time - I don't see anything you have to lose here.

depends on the school mission and the field. for example if they are looking for people to do primary care and you do research in plastics it would not be a good look but then again I am just a lowly applicant. ask gyngyn or Goro

Lol, yes. This is what's commonly referred to as an "informational interview"; it's commonplace and often times the first step toward getting the job you want.

I shouldn't laugh - as a former bench scientist who transitioned to cubicle life a few years ago, there are so many of these "office life survival skills" things they just don't teach us in the lab or as premeds.

Worst case scenario is you either get ignored or the professor just doesn't have time - I don't see anything you have to lose here.

Lol I haven’t actually met the person. I ran across their information while learning about whether or the not the school was a good fit for my future goals. Which it is. But I think I’ll email them and see what happens. I just hope it doesn’t upset the adcoms that I’m cold “calling”/emailing faculty members

depends on the school mission and the field. for example if they are looking for people to do primary care and you do research in plastics it would not be a good look but then again I am just a lowly applicant. ask gyngyn or Goro

Its in rural health and primary care which are my interests as well.

Lol I haven’t actually met the person. I ran across their information while learning about whether or the not the school was a good fit for my future goals. Which it is. But I think I’ll email them and see what happens. I just hope it doesn’t upset the adcoms that I’m cold “calling”/emailing faculty members
But there's nothing wrong with cold emailing! It's a good thing as long as you word your email well. If anything it shows initiative and determination.

But there's nothing wrong with cold emailing! It's a good thing as long as you word your email well. If anything it shows initiative and determination.
Exactly. I mean, how else are you going to find out if there is a potential research opening for you (of course, assuming this PI doesn't have a lab website with a job openings section)

How else are you going to find out if their lab has a potential open

Exactly. I mean, how else are you going to find out if there is a potential research opening for you (of course, assuming this PI doesn't have a lab website with a job openings section)

True. I wouldn’t be afraid of emailing if I wasn’t on their waitlist and was already accepted. I don’t want them to get the wrong idea. But I think I’m going to email them and see what they say/ or not say if the ignore

True. I wouldn’t be afraid of emailing if I wasn’t on their waitlist and was already accepted. I don’t want them to get the wrong idea. But I think I’m going to email them and see what they say/ or not say if the ignore

Totally understandable. Happy to help draft/review your email if you like.

Did you write a LOI to the MD school that you have a good shot of getting off of [stats wise]? Saying you have a DO acceptance and would drop the acceptance and all WL positions if accepted to [x MD school] may help. If not, emailing admissions that you're still interested in their program could help [showing interest is good, spamming and being annoying is bad]. If you've done all of the above, just sitting and waiting is your best bet. I'd def start looking at apartments though since all you have rn is that acceptance.

Yea I sent a letter of intent to my top choice, and letters of interest to a few other of the WL schools and still silence. So yea I think my move is just to wait it out and try to snag an apartment.

To adapt a quote slightly...

Optimism is a lie, told by a fearful mind, hoping to be wrong

I don't want to sound too edgelord, but I am just feeling so stupid that I keep being optimistic and believing in the optimism of others. I believed my advisor and Reddit when they said I'd probably get in relatively easily. Well I didn't have any interviews at first and I started to give up, but then getting my first interview made me optimistic again. Then before the interview I realized most interviewees don't get in, but I felt I did well at the interview and the adcoms there basically said "most people who get waitlisted here get in," so my optimism was replenished and remained even after I was waitlisted. Well May 1st came and went, so I started to lose hope again, but then I got a second interview, refilling my hope supply once again. But then I was rejected post-haste from that school. And even now my stupid brain won't let go of the (frankly preposterous) idea that there'll somehow be a magical bolus of movement out of nowhere when the CTE deadlines come around. I just want to give up, but I can't even do that properly.
It is ok, that is just being human. We can be reapplication buddies. Know this, you are not alone in this path.

No, that's the point I'm making. CASPER is supposed to be a scenario-based baseline assessment of your ethics. When you sign up for the exam the testing company gives you like a 30 min tutorial/practice session to get a feel for the exam's platform (e.g., question delivery, text fields, etc.) - outside of this, I have no idea why you would need to prepare for CASPER.
Because the people preparing and studying may know that their own ethics wouldn't get them into school? Devil's advocate here lol. I'm sure it's mostly those who have anxiety over it since it's a test that is an anomaly. But there's probably a couple people who fall into my above comment. Maybe.

HEY GUYS GOOD NEWS TO THOSE WHO HAVE LOST ALL HOPE:

I just received an interview invite today (June 20th) for this fall from NOVA's tampa bay campus (NSU-KPCOM). That means if you applied there they are still looking to fill their class for this fall. I rejected the interview since I'm matriculating at CCOM, but just letting ya'll know.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Seems a bit stalkerish.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.