This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't you only hold one acceptance after may 15 tho?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
well guess I am out for one waitlist as they start tomorrow, maybe WVU but who knows at this point. I have reapplied lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it acceptable to miss orientation if you get pulled really late?
If I got accepted somewhere last-minute I would try and get there ASAP. I’m sure they would understand if you missed the first day if you got accepted a day before and had to move a few hours away. One of my schools I’m WLd at is within 2 hours of my house so I would be there if I got told the day before.

If I got accepted somewhere last-minute I would try and get there ASAP. I’m sure they would understand if you missed the first day if you got accepted a day before and had to move a few hours away. One of my schools I’m WLd at is within 2 hours of my house so I would be there if I got told the day before.
I would think this would be fine but email them and let them know.

well guess I am out for one waitlist as they start tomorrow, maybe WVU but who knows at this point. I have reapplied lol

Yea I’m about to the delete the school’s picture from my screensaver :(

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
If i have no acceptances and I am on 1 WL, can my WL school see that I have no acceptances?

If this is the case, i assume they would have accepted me already if they wanted to. And the fact that my CTE deadline is on Mon, I think i've lost all hope for this cycle.

If i have no acceptances and I am on 1 WL, can my WL school see that I have no acceptances?

If this is the case, i assume they would have accepted me already if they wanted to. And the fact that my CTE deadline is on Mon, I think i've lost all hope for this cycle.
You will appear as "no decision."

Reactions: 1 users
@gyngyn please accept me! I’m in California and I have a grey tabby cat also. We’d get along! Haha. Just wanted to say thank you for trying to keep our spirits uplifted in this thread. I’ll be checking out of this thread tomorrow when my school has it’s white coat ceremony.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
@gyngyn please accept me! I’m in California and I have a grey tabby cat also. We’d get along! Haha. Just wanted to say thank you for trying to keep our spirits uplifted in this thread. I’ll be checking out of this thread tomorrow when my school has it’s white coat ceremony.
Let me know how it all works out, even so.

You will appear as "no decision."

ah ok thank youu !

How do rejections from the WL work in your experience?

I know some people from my WL school have been rejected so far off the WL. If the class is pretty much full (since we're close to the CTE deadline i assume this is the case) why wouldn't they be sending more rejections out?

also thanks for being very transparent with us throughout this thread. it's very rare to have transparency in this med school application process it seems.

Members don't see this ad :)
ah ok thank youu !

How do rejections from the WL work in your experience?

I know some people from my WL school have been rejected so far. If the class is pretty much full (since we're close to the CTE deadline i assume this is the case) why wouldn't they be sending more rejections out?

also thanks for being very transparent with us throughout this thread. it's very rare to have transparency in this med school application process it seems.
The schools are holding onto their highest ranked waitlisters at this point. We still don't know when it will be over for real.

The schools are holding onto their highest ranked waitlisters at this point. We still don't know when it will be over for real.

i'm hoping that there are quite a few people on the WL who have acceptance(s) elsewhere. once those individuals commit to their accepted school, should hopefully lower the amount of spots on my WL.

Reactions: 3 users
Do some schools hold onto their entire waitlist? Or do most reject the bottom of the waitlist when they know, deep enough into the cycle, that there is no shot of those applicants getting accepted?

Do some schools hold onto their entire waitlist? Or do most reject the bottom of the waitlist when they know, deep enough into the cycle, that there is no shot of those applicants getting accepted?
I think it's school dependent. I got placed in the bottom tier of a school's waitlist and haven't received a formal rejection from them (but I consider it a rejection nonetheless).

I really don't know. I'd like to think that WLers are let go as soon as they know that there is no chance.

I think it's school dependent. I got placed in the bottom tier of a school's waitlist and haven't received a formal rejection from them (but I consider it a rejection nonetheless).
Ah, to know where you are on the waitlist.

How do you know you are bottom tier? They told you? Lucky...

I have heard zero things from my WL schools. Am I at the top? Bottom? In the middle? I just got a new apartment and I want to go buy furniture. But if I am moving across country for school (both my WLs are on the other side of the country!), I probably shouldn't.

I really don't know. I'd like to think that WLers are let go as soon as they know that there is no chance.
That would be the right thing to do, but 1 of my WLs doesn't even reject applicants post-interview. Everyone is WLed or accepted. This creates false hope for many and a WL way bigger than they need.

I wish AAMC pushed schools to do the right thing. (Yes, I am sure other schools are run better--but this 1 school needs major improvements)

Lol! I'm not laughing at you but at the situation. My school did not reject anyone post-interview. Either accepted or waitlisted. School starts in 9 days and NOBODY has gotten a rejection.

Ah, to know where you are on the waitlist.

How do you know you are bottom tier? They told you? Lucky...

I have heard zero things from my WL schools. Am I at the top? Bottom? In the middle? I just got a new apartment and I want to go buy furniture. But if I am moving across country for school (both my WLs are on the other side of the country!), I probably shouldn't.

My school’s list is ranked and disclosed. I’ve been sitting at #1, next person to get off the list, for a month. The only bad thing about knowing is that it gave me false hope and I saw my dream within my grasp, but now it is slipping away as orientation approaches. I am wrecked emotionally as this has been my third cycle applying. To have gotten this close, now falling short because the list has moved less than half of what has been seen each year prior to these rules changes, it is absolutely devastating.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 20 users
My school’s list is ranked and disclosed. I’ve been sitting at #1, next person to get off the list, for a month. The only bad thing about knowing is that it gave me false hope and I saw my dream within my grasp, but now it is slipping away as orientation approaches. I am wrecked emotionally as this has been my third cycle applying. To have gotten this close, now falling short because the list has moved less than half of what has been seen each year prior to these rules changes, it is absolutely devastating.
I’m so sorry to hear that. When is the orientation for your school?

I’m so sorry to hear that. When is the orientation for your school?

Ugh thanks, we are all just in such a sad and unfortunate situation. It starts sometime into August, not sure when exactly. I just don’t think anyone will decline their spot by then because I’m IS and I am guessing that people waiting to get off other WLs are probably feeling the need to get housing lined up now. The later it gets, the less likely someone would make a late move to somewhere they’d be paying OOS tuition.

I’m in the same boat dude... I was rooting for you so hard when you got to #1.... I’m so sorry that this happened. I know we’ll both make it someday.

I’m in the same boat dude... I was rooting for you so hard when you got to #1.... I’m so sorry that this happened. I know we’ll both make it someday.

Omg thank you so much! I can’t even tell you how soothing it is to hear someone else understands this experience. You are the best, I’m rooting for you too, my friend. Just another opportunity to build up that empathy to make us even better docs :)

Omg thank you so much! I can’t even tell you how soothing it is to hear someone else understands this experience. You are the best, I’m rooting for you too, my friend. Just another opportunity to build up that empathy to make us even better docs :)
I honestly can't say that I know the experience, but one of my classmates at a post bacc I did got into Duke after her fourth application cycle. I will be honest with you, I cannot see myself applying more than two times before giving up, but knowing this classmate and the fact that you've already applied three times, I truly, truly believe that if you continue with the resilience you have already displayed, you WILL get into a school sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 2 users
I honestly can't say that I know the experience, but one of my classmates at a post bacc I did got into Duke after her fourth application cycle. I will be honest with you, I cannot see myself applying more than two times before giving up, but knowing this classmate and the fact that you've already applied three times, I truly, truly believe that if you continue with the resilience you have already displayed, you WILL get into a school sooner rather than later.
Idk what people say in interviews and write in essays after the 2nd try. I am doing my first reapplication and I am struggling to find stuff to write beyond rewording or adding just a few more insights to my secondaries. I feel like after 2 cycles they already have a perception of you and nothing is gonna change that. Writing secondaries makes me feels_bad_man.jpeg

Has the CTE deadline passed already?

Did the July 1 CTEs bring movement? Maybe we have to wait until next week to know because this past week was holiday week

Have you kept in touch with your school? It’s not unheard of for someone to withdraw during orientation...they just see the enormity of Med school and go, ‘nope, not for me’. In those cases if the school knew you were sitting on go, they might call you up with a seat!

Make sure your fafsa, immunizations, background check etc are all done, and let admission know, if you haven’t already, that you’re ready to be pulled at a moment’s notice, even up until the first day of class.

Did the July 1 CTEs bring movement? Maybe we have to wait until next week to know because this past week was holiday week
I’m waiting on tomorrow to hear some news. I had called my school and they said we were gonna take last week to just process the data and what not. Apparently the dean of admissions and director of admissions were discussing everything. Let’s see.

Im applying this year so I have no idea what this process must be for you guys but I am sending you all positive energy and I hope things all turn out in your best interest

Reactions: 2 users
Man, that is awful. I was convinced your list would move at least one. I am so sorry

Thanks, there is still time, I just felt the need to vent I suppose! I'm rooting for you too my friend

I am in at a DO school, but I will have to travel about 80 minutes the first year since my husband had to sign a contract for his work. I have to say I am still really fortunate and have so much to be thankful for. I just want to see my dream realized in the way I have envision for a long time. Thanks for the encouragement!

Have you kept in touch with your school? It’s not unheard of for someone to withdraw during orientation...they just see the enormity of Med school and go, ‘nope, not for me’. In those cases if the school knew you were sitting on go, they might call you up with a seat!

Make sure your fafsa, immunizations, background check etc are all done, and let admission know, if you haven’t already, that you’re ready to be pulled at a moment’s notice, even up until the first day of class.

I have been in somewhat regular contact with someone from the office of admissions and she knows the situation I'm in (she is so nice and seems to hold a lot of empathy for us poor wretches lol). But I will probably put forth some sort of formal statement if I haven't heard anything past the CTE, just as a last measure to be safe.

Idk what people say in interviews and write in essays after the 2nd try. I am doing my first reapplication and I am struggling to find stuff to write beyond rewording or adding just a few more insights to my secondaries. I feel like after 2 cycles they already have a perception of you and nothing is gonna change that. Writing secondaries makes me feels_bad_man.jpeg

It was definitely a challenge, but I basically addressed the things they recommended I improved upon. Plus, I legitimately found a lot more meaning in my experiences which motivated me to become a physician. I mean the first year I only applied to 7 schools, the second year I only applied to this one MD (because I wanted enough time to improve on my ECs and healthcare exposure) and I got waitlisted, and then this year I only applied to this MD and 2 DOs and I ended up in what I thought was a good position on this MD waitlist and with an acceptance to the nearest DO school. So I definitely didn't max out my chances anywhere, and I could have done a whole lot more to improve my situation.

It was definitely a challenge, but I basically addressed the things they recommended I improved upon. Plus, I legitimately found a lot more meaning in my experiences which motivated me to become a physician. I mean the first year I only applied to 7 schools, the second year I only applied to this one MD (because I wanted enough time to improve on my ECs and healthcare exposure) and I got waitlisted, and then this year I only applied to this MD and 2 DOs and I ended up in what I thought was a good position on this MD waitlist and with an acceptance to the nearest DO school. So I definitely didn't max out my chances anywhere, and I could have done a whole lot more to improve my situation.

Can I ask why so few schools each time? And congrats on your acceptance!!

Can I ask why so few schools each time? And congrats on your acceptance!!

For sure! So the first time I over estimated how desirable I would be, I had a 514 and 3.9 and just applied to MD schools near home in the Midwest. I had like 3 reaches with Vanderbilt, Yale, and Northwestern just for fun, but the rest were state schools. I only interviewed at my home state school and was rejected due to a lack of clinical exposure and depth of ECs. So that summer I volunteered in the ED, got some more shadowing, graduated and got a job as a Post-Bacc, but only reapplied to the one school because I wasn't sure it would have been enough time to really improve the application. I realized that my best chances would have been at a DO school or my in-state school, so I only applied to the IS MD school on the off chance that it was enough of an improvement, because if I were accepted to the DO and not MD, I would have held out for another chance at the MD after I felt prepared enough the next year. That time I was placed high up on the WL, with the advice from the ADCOM being that I was close, but basically needed to have a more convincing PS. This past cycle I applied quite late after getting married and switching jobs, so I sent primaries to maybe 12 schools, including 2 DO, but I only finished my IS school's secondary and the DO ones because I felt pretty confident that this time around I was well enough prepared.

All in all, I should have applied earlier and to more places for better chances, but it was basically a recurring case of being more optimistic in my chances and likely over-valuing getting to go to my dream school. I have a lot of regrets about not doing more volunteering and shadowing, and also not working harder outside of my job to make myself a better candidate. IDK I just feel a lot of guilt for those nights I watched Netflix after work rather than going out to find shadowing or something. It feels like the universe is serving me my just rewards for not bearing down and grinding to make sure I couldn't be passed up, so I am trying to use it as a learning opportunity.

For sure! So the first time I over estimated how desirable I would be, I had a 514 and 3.9 and just applied to MD schools near home in the Midwest. I had like 3 reaches with Vanderbilt, Yale, and Northwestern just for fun, but the rest were state schools. I only interviewed at my home state school and was rejected due to a lack of clinical exposure and depth of ECs. So that summer I volunteered in the ED, got some more shadowing, graduated and got a job as a Post-Bacc, but only reapplied to the one school because I wasn't sure it would have been enough time to really improve the application. I realized that my best chances would have been at a DO school or my in-state school, so I only applied to the IS MD school on the off chance that it was enough of an improvement, because if I were accepted to the DO and not MD, I would have held out for another chance at the MD after I felt prepared enough the next year. That time I was placed high up on the WL, with the advice from the ADCOM being that I was close, but basically needed to have a more convincing PS. This past cycle I applied quite late after getting married and switching jobs, so I sent primaries to maybe 12 schools, including 2 DO, but I only finished my IS school's secondary and the DO ones because I felt pretty confident that this time around I was well enough prepared.

All in all, I should have applied earlier and to more places for better chances, but it was basically a recurring case of being more optimistic in my chances and likely over-valuing getting to go to my dream school. I have a lot of regrets about not doing more volunteering and shadowing, and also not working harder outside of my job to make myself a better candidate. IDK I just feel a lot of guilt for those nights I watched Netflix after work rather than going out to find shadowing or something. It feels like the universe is serving me my just rewards for not bearing down and grinding to make sure I couldn't be passed up, so I am trying to use it as a learning opportunity.

Interesting! I think a lot of your reasoning for why you applied to those schools makes sense, especially given the little amount of information we have as pre-meds. It is a LOT of work just applying with a full-time job, never mind everything else. And don’t be too hard on yourself; you did the work and will become a doctor. Good luck!

I’m waiting on tomorrow to hear some news. I had called my school and they said we were gonna take last week to just process the data and what not. Apparently the dean of admissions and director of admissions were discussing everything. Let’s see.
I am prepared to cry.

Interesting! I think a lot of your reasoning for why you applied to those schools makes sense, especially given the little amount of information we have as pre-meds. It is a LOT of work just applying with a full-time job, never mind everything else. And don’t be too hard on yourself; you did the work and will become a doctor. Good luck!

Thank you, friend! Congrats on your As! Go kill it.

What do you mean by depth? Length of time (e.g. months, years) at the EC? Total hours? Or what you did (quality of the work)?

Status
Not open for further replies.