This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by depth? Length of time (e.g. months, years) at the EC? Total hours? Or what you did (quality of the work)?

Both kind of. Basically I was lacking significant, committed dedication in any one area. I was in clubs, had some teaching/tutoring, some shadowing, some volunteering, some research. But no one space that I had prolonged experience with. So I decided to do regular volunteering in an ED and got a full time job as a Post-Bacc. I never got a CNA or anything so I really didn’t have much experience in health care. I still don’t have a ton, just some extra (maybe 40) shadowing hours, what the ED volunteering gave me, and marginally related experience from working as an assistant in an optometrist office. So I’d say it’s true when you hear that showing commitment to one thing is much better than a mediocre covering of all the bases.

Members don't see this ad.

Both kind of. Basically I was lacking significant, committed dedication in any one area. I was in clubs, had some teaching/tutoring, some shadowing, some volunteering, some research. But no one space that I had prolonged experience with. So I decided to do regular volunteering in an ED and got a full time job as a Post-Bacc. I never got a CNA or anything so I really didn’t have much experience in health care. I still don’t have a ton, just some extra (maybe 40) shadowing hours, what the ED volunteering gave me, and marginally related experience from working as an assistant in an optometrist office. So I’d say it’s true when you hear that showing commitment to one thing is much better than a mediocre covering of all the bases.
@gyngyn Is showing commitment for a year+ really important? Or just a little? Example: a year (500 hours total) vs. 6 months (500 hours total). Which is better?

@gyngyn Is showing commitment for a year+ really important? Or just a little? Example: a year (500 hours total) vs. 6 months (500 hours total). Which is better?
Differences between evaluators for something this similar is likely to be small.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guessing few spots will open up in about two weeks after the final CTE deadlines pass. Probably not too many... but some nonetheless!

Reactions: 3 users
Guessing few spots will open up in about two weeks after the final CTE deadlines pass. Probably not too many... but some nonetheless!
@gyngyn -- as the calendar inches ever closer to orientation, do you have any greater visibility, either by personal observation or through comparing notes with your peers across your state or across the country, into whether candidates holding multiple acceptances are a big enough factor to induce signifcant WL movement as CTE deadlines come and go? If not, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is really nothing else at this point that would cause movement at this point in the cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You’re delusional if you think that there’s gonna be significant (or, any) WL movement.

Anyone posting here has about a 1% chance of getting off a WL from now until the end of the month.
Do yourself a favor... Stop checking this thread and focus on the next cycle.

If you got into a school but are waiting to get off of a WL at your first choice then I have no sympathy. You shouldn’t have applied to a school you didn’t want to go to.
There has still been trickles if waitlist movement at several schools, and as previously mentioned, there will most likely be some shifting these next couple of weeks with PTEs (may or may not affect WL movement). One of my schools has one of the latest CTE deadlines, and tends to have a little bit of last-minute movement. Based on that and what the school has told me, I’m still holding out hope. Although the WLs haven’t been moving as well this entire cycle, I think it is very school-dependent, as has been the theme throughout this whole process.

Reactions: 1 users
Welp, had to select CTE today and my waitlist school immediately emailed asking me to confirm my removal from their WL. Hate these rules but at least the waiting game is over

Reactions: 4 users
You’re delusional if you think that there’s gonna be significant WL movement.

Anyone posting here has about a 1% chance of getting off a WL from now until the end of the month.
Do yourself a favor... Stop checking this thread and focus on the next cycle.

If you got into a school but are waiting to get off of a WL at your first choice then I have no sympathy. You shouldn’t have applied to a school you didn’t want to go to.
Wombat, why are you still here, then? If you have no hope or "sympathy" (which no one asked you for) but all the bitterness...maybe you should take your own advice. It's a support thread, after all, for anyone who's holding onto a waitlist. Justifiably or unjustifiably so, in your eyes.

Reactions: 18 users
I am not @gyngyn but I will give you my opinion. It is completely unadulterated by fact.

There are very few people holding multiple acceptances. Therefore, there will be very few WLs spots turning into A's because of this.

They will be waitlist movement that will come because some schools accepted fewer students this year than their historic yield numbers. This has been to mitigate the risk of uncertainty (e.g., over accepting) surrounding changes in the traffic rules.

Until schools know that PTE'd people have committed, they can't be sure of their precise class sizes. If they are short of a full class, they will pull from their WLs. Associated with this will be the "musical chair phenomenon", where PTE students get accepted from a preferred schools. All of this will play out over the next month, and is very school specific.

The truth will reveal itself in due time. Be patient. No amount of questions or criticism of the system, as justified as it may be, is going to change anyone's outcome.
Most of what is posted here is! :) For the record, I totally agree with you, and was just trying to pick the brain of someone who might have some facts with which to adulterate his/her conjecture!

Reactions: 1 user
Welp, had to select CTE today and my waitlist school immediately emailed asking me to confirm my removal from their WL. Hate these rules but at least the waiting game is over
... and, at least for that one school, the system is working exactly as designed!

giphy.gif

Wombat, why are you still here, then? If you have no hope or "sympathy" (which no one asked you for) but all the bitterness...maybe you should take your own advice. It's a support thread, after all, for anyone who's holding onto a waitlist. Justifiably or unjustifiably so, in your eyes.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I know the process absolutely sucks. I don't have an acceptance and am on three waitlists that in all likelihood will not turn into any acceptance, but I think you should try to let go of your bitterness. Going through this whole year of applying and getting a ton of R's while being fortunate enough to get a few interviews has been a hell of an experience. I think you can take that experience and feel bitter towards it or you can use it to fuel your drive to improve yourself and apply again. Like I said, it's hard, but I'm going to try to do the latter.

Yes, being realistic means being sustained by hate...:sleep:
As an aspiring physician, you should by now have realized that it's not really about what you're saying, it's about how you deliver it. Yes, in all likelihood 95% of waitlist movement has occurred since we're nearing mid-July, but telling people that they're "delusional" for having any hope is unnecessary. There are ways to give advice constructively, such as letting people know which schools have stopped giving out further acceptances or helping people with re-apps. All you did was act harsh and offensive towards applicants who are already super defeated and anxious, which isn't exactly something to be proud of. If you think posting on the Waitlist thread at this point is delusional, you can hop off.

Reactions: 21 users
As an aspiring physician, you should by now have realized that it's not really about what you're saying, it's about how you deliver it. Yes, in all likelihood 95% of waitlist movement has occurred since we're nearing mid-July, but telling people that they're "delusional" for having any hope is unnecessary. There are ways to give advice constructively, such as letting people know which schools have stopped giving out further acceptances or helping people with re-apps. All you did was act harsh and offensive towards applicants who are already super defeated and anxious, which isn't exactly something to be proud of. If you think posting on the Waitlist thread at this point is delusional, you can hop off.
Totally agree with this. Everyone has obstacles in life, and getting into med school isn’t easy for anyone. This is supposed to be a place for venting, support, and certainly hope.

Reactions: 11 users
the school i’m waitlisted at recently removed some people from the waitlist (around a week before the CTE deadline) but i was not removed and i know there are (at least) a few others who were not. it’s an unranked waitlist and no movement has occurred since the CTE deadline. are they gonna lead us on until the very end or is there any reason to make meaning from this?

I ended up calling my school. Apparently they haven't sent out anything to anybody since the deadline, but there are still spots. They aren't expecting a massive movement, obviously, but they are expecting something. I'm just not sure what they are waiting for at this point. Is there anything else they have to do after the CTE deadline? They already removed people who have committed elsewhere off the waitlist and the CTE deadline was last Monday. They said next week is the last week they will accept anybody. @gyngyn Is there any insight you could give for this question?

I ended up calling my school. Apparently they haven't sent out anything to anybody since the deadline, but there are still spots. They aren't expecting a massive movement, obviously, but they are expecting something. I'm just not sure what they are waiting for at this point. Is there anything else they have to do after the CTE deadline? They already removed people who have committed elsewhere off the waitlist and the CTE deadline was last Monday. They said next week is the last week they will accept anybody. @gyngyn Is there any insight you could give for this question?
Based on what I’ve seen, I think there could be a few people who have asked the school for an extended CTE deadline in hopes of getting into their top school off the WL. There’s also that wildcard of someone dropping out for other reasons. They’re probably keeping quite a few people on the WL because the Adcoms don’t know who would take the offer or not.

I ended up calling my school. Apparently they haven't sent out anything to anybody since the deadline, but there are still spots. They aren't expecting a massive movement, obviously, but they are expecting something. I'm just not sure what they are waiting for at this point. Is there anything else they have to do after the CTE deadline? They already removed people who have committed elsewhere off the waitlist and the CTE deadline was last Monday.
School? I welcome a PM if needed

I'm curious, by spots you mean open seats but they haven't sent out new acceptances since a few dropped at the CTE deadline? Seems like there's a reasonable turn around time of a few business days from open spot to new acceptance offer.

I haven't a clue why they haven't filled open seats.

• Wow
I'm curious, by spots you mean open seats but they haven't sent out new acceptances since a few dropped at the CTE deadline? Seems like there's a reasonable turn around time of a few business days from open spot to new acceptance offer.
Being the Monday after Independence Day weekend might have a lot to do with it. Unless a school has a strictly ordered Wait list, they might need to meet and discuss who they will invite to replace those who didn't love their school quite enough to go!
In honor of World Cup, using a very lame sports analogy, if their goalie left they can't take 3 more forwards to make up for it. They need a goalie! or two!

So my school starts next Monday and I'm trying hold on to the last sliver of hope for acceptance. However like many waitlisters I'm feeling the despair. So I'm going to give a simple suggestion per my therapist (disclosure: I'm also on meds): Make a list of how things will be better during your reapplication.

For example, yes, I'm scared crapless about my age if I were to get in summer 2021 (older than late-20s). However, waiting two more years means:
-more of my undergrad debt will be paid off
-I will get more $$$ (my job does a thing where an amount can go into our 401k or get cashed out) for my savings
-I'll have had more practice at meditating (stress management)
-instead of being on my own for the first two yrs given hubby's plans, we might move for med school together (he'll work fulltime and cover household expenses - less loan money needed)
-it'll be an easier academic transition since I'll be freshly done with post-bacc classes

Believe me, I cannot count the number of times a week I feel like trash because of this process but at least this gives me a center to keep my hand on #solidarity

Reactions: 11 users
Yes, being realistic means being sustained by hate...:sleep:

On a side note, wombat poo is the coolest poo out there. The way they 'form' the cubes is quite interesting.

Even the poo is shocked by their own formation.

On a side note, wombat poo is the coolest poo out there. The way they 'form' the cubes is quite interesting.

View attachment 270930

Even the poo is shocked by their own formation.

Cool is subjective. I ate blueberries yesterday and it made my poop green which I think is cooler than cube-shaped. We're all cool in our own ways. Let's not allow ourselves to be outdone by wombats

Reactions: 2 users
speaking of poo, this application cycle has really done a number on my digestive tract (I have ibs).

Reactions: 7 users
Being the Monday after Independence Day weekend might have a lot to do with it. Unless a school has a strictly ordered Wait list, they might need to meet and discuss who they will invite to replace those who didn't love their school quite enough to go!
In honor of World Cup, using a very lame sports analogy, if their goalie left they can't take 3 more forwards to make up for it. They need a goalie! or two!
you clearly have no idea what it means to be a 2 way player. Med schools need pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

to

This cycle has done a number on my liver.

If I wasn't on medication, my liver would've joined yours too. Though no matter what happens on Friday (school starts Monday), I am having DRINKS!

10 interviews, 6 rejections and 4 waitlists. I called for feedback and none of the schools gave me a solid reason why I wasn’t accepted, every school said something like “we like older applicants” They told me all my interviews were fine. I guess the cycle is just a crapshoot sometimes. Here’s to another cycle. I don’t know what the chances are of getting off the WL at this point.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
10 interviews, 6 rejections and 4 waitlists. I called for feedback and none of the schools gave me a solid reason why I wasn’t accepted, every school said something like “we like older applicants” They told me all my interviews were fine. I guess the cycle is just a crapshoot sometimes. Here’s to another cycle. I don’t know what the chances are of getting off the WL at this point.

Is that actually true that med schools like older applicants?
I've always wondered about that because I had heard the average age of a matriculate is 25 (obviously susceptible to those outliers who matriculate at 30+, but still).
I've also wondered if there will ever be some reckoning in the future as a result. In a time where everything is constantly getting more competitive and time out from school helps you resolve any deficiencies on your app, or just get more experience to be more competitive, I wonder how far we can keep going in this direction.
Example: On paper, a nurse practitioner with a PhD in molecular biology and tons of pubs seems like a "great" candidate because they have clinical experience and lots of research experience, and throw on some other extra curriculars/service for some razzle dazzle. Especially compared to a 22 year old applying from senior year of college, it seems like a no-brainer - Except for the fact that the latter will probably be practicing for a longer time.

So I guess my question is, if we keep moving in a direction that the average age of matriculation keeps increasing (because the process is getting more competitive, so applicants need more years out), at what point, if any, will medical schools say "we need to start accepting younger applicants even if they seem 'less qualified' because they will be able to practice longer." Then again, I don't know if that is actually a concern of medical schools, considering it doesn't directly impact them, rather just the entire US healthcare system.

My limited experience suggests that medical schools like applicants who are mature. Someone can be mature at 22 and someone can be immature at 25 or older.

However, it is more likely one will mature with more life experiences. The four years post college have been invaluable to my maturation process. It has given me time to reflect and self-reflect and offered me a bevy of real world experiences that have honed and refined my perspectives. And it did allow me to sddress a couple of gaps in preparation for med school.

On the interview trail, I was struck by how unseasoned so many of the students were who were still in college and I felt that they were at a disadvantage due to it, irrespective of scores and grades.

I think it would be useful for medical schools to suggest strongly that applicants take 2 years, preferably 3 years, off before entering medical school. Some are doing it de facto by increasingly admitting older applicants.

I have always wondered what kind of examples showcase how unseasoned some traditional applicants are. Would you mind sharing a few?

Hopefully the 4 WL schools will give better feedback once the cycle is over? It is worth asking. I of my WL schools said they will do this.

I have always wondered what kind of examples showcase how unseasoned some traditional applicants are. Would you mind sharing a few?

There’s a lot of things that you gain from life experience that you might not have perfected in college. Dealing with things like adversity (medical school will provide plenty), how to work well with others even if you don’t always agree, how to communicate, discern your audience, punctuality, culture sensitivity, empathy, and etc. These qualities can be revealed on the interview trail.

Speaking from personal experience, I believe that being a bit younger but well put together also looks very good. I'm a bit younger than the norm due to an unconventional educational path and several of my interviewers said they found that very impressive.

Speaking from personal experience, I believe that being a bit younger but well put together also looks very good. I'm a bit younger than the norm due to an unconventional educational path and several of my interviewers said they found that very impressive.

How old are you? Feel free to give a range.

Good question. I'll try.

You can notice it sometimes in their bearing, how they hold themselves. They look insecure, even frightened (more so than others). Young deer stuck in the headlights.

Their interactions are a little stilted. They often ask banal questions, and then don't listen when you attempt to answer. Some appear to have little personal voice, and demonstrate little insight into the affairs of the day. They do not generate a feeling of confidence. In the game without a glove.

My undergrad univ did an open mock interview session between a Med school admissions dean and two students. The first guy was poised and able to answer the dean’s questions fairly easily...questions like what was the last non medical book you read? Why medicine? etc. the dean was pushy, with follow up questions designed to make sure the answers were well though out.

The second guy in the mock interview was 19, and confident to the point of cockiness almost. The dean quickly shut him down with his interview questions, which required depth of thought. His only answer to the reading question was AskMen, he mumbled something about having and orthopedist uncle when asked why medicine, and his immaturity and lack of introspection showed.

After the interviews, we were invited to critique the interviewees and ask the dean questions. He emphasized to us that medical schools want mature candidates who clearly show that they’ve put a lot of thought into becoming a doctor. Being well read in something other than websites doesn’t hurt either, because most interviewers will be senior faculty.

My undergrad univ did an open mock interview session between a Med school admissions dean and two students. The first guy was poised and able to answer the dean’s questions fairly easily...questions like what was the last non medical book you read? Why medicine? etc. the dean was pushy, with follow up questions designed to make sure the answers were well though out.

The second guy in the mock interview was 19, and confident to the point of cockiness almost. The dean quickly shut him down with his interview questions, which required depth of thought. His only answer to the reading question was AskMen, he mumbled something about having and orthopedist uncle when asked why medicine, and his immaturity and lack of introspection showed.

After the interviews, we were invited to critique the interviewees and ask the dean questions. He emphasized to us that medical schools want mature candidates who clearly show that they’ve put a lot of thought into becoming a doctor. Being well read in something other than websites doesn’t hurt either, because most interviewers will be senior faculty.
On two of the interviews we spent 20 min discussing favorite recipes and gardening plans (two hour long interviews in one school)..... I am 33, and have been working in addiction treatment , pathology lab , and Army . So yeah , I think you do have a point . They didn’t have to spend a lot of time “probing “ me, they just focused on getting to know me as a person . Makes sense ... I never thought about how questions might differ from person to person , but it makes sense

I just got a secondary application from SUNY Upstate but I’m so confused because I didn’t even fill out the AMCAS for 2020...

Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.