This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's try again: we cannot run a report that identifies accepted candidates who are PTE, CTE or are waitlisted elsewhere.
We get a report that gives us the number of multiple acceptances and the number of accepted students holding a WL position elsewhere.
These accepted students are not identified as individuals. This has been specifically confirmed by the AAMC.
@gyngyn -- I hear you, and totally believe you. You have gone way above and beyond the call of duty sharing knowledge, soothing nerves, and policing the forum. There is, however, a disconnect between what you are experiencing, what others are reporting, and what AAMC has posted on its website.

Please see "Medical School Actions" as of April 30 below, copied and pasted from the AMCAS CYMS web page.

Very puzzling!!!

Members don't see this ad.

@gyngyn -- I hear you, and totally believe you. You have gone way above and beyond the call of duty sharing knowledge, soothing nerves, and policing the forum. There is, however, a disconnect between what you are experiencing, what others are reporting, and what AAMC has posted on its website.

Please see "Medical School Actions" as of April 30 below, copied and pasted from the AMCAS CYMS web page.

Very puzzling!!!

View attachment 271113
I have both reviewed the lists that can be generated (by us) and contacted the AAMC to confirm that we do not have access to any information regarding other acceptances or waitlists held by accepted students. I have also confirmed that they have no intention of enforcing any commitments as an organization.
Thus, they have made it impossible for us, as schools to enforce any of these constructs.

I truly appreciate @KnightDoc and @gyngyn working to clarify things for us all but lmao this same discussion has gone in circles over the span of like 20 pages.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have both reviewed the lists that can be generated and contacted the AAMC to confirm that we do not have access to any information regarding other acceptances or waitlists held by accepted students.
@gyngyn -- again, I hear that, and I wonder if maybe that's because the other schools aren't requiring use of the tool, and the other acceptances are NOT PTE or CTE. It's either that, or the AMCAS table is not accurate, which still doesn't explain how @sosos's WL school knew to kick him/her off the WL as soon as s/he hit the CTE button, or how countless other posters reported being contacted by schools post-4/30 when they remained PTE'd at more than one school when the schools had rules against it.

@gyngyn -- again, I hear that, and I wonder if maybe that's because the other schools aren't requiring use of the tool, and the other acceptances are NOT PTE or CTE. It's either that, or the AMCAS table is not accurate, which still doesn't explain how @sosos's WL school knew to kick him/her off the WL as soon as s/he hit the CTE button, or how countless other posters reported being contacted by schools post-4/30 when they remained PTE'd at more than one school when the schools had rules against it.
We do see when waitlisted students choose to CTE or PTE at another school. We can't see how many schools they are holding acceptances or waitlists at.
We don't see which accepted students are holding acceptances (or waitlists) elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I don’t understand how you can listen to someone whose job it is to decipher the aamc continually check themselves and research what you’re saying, refute it with direct quotes from aamc representatives, and not accept their data. It is fruitless.

That being said thank you gyngyn for volunteering so much of your time to us neurotic, sad, waitlisted hopefuls.

This thread is also a great place to learn about the manifestation of the five stages of grief.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
If I'm reading this correctly, med schools could enforce for eachother. Med schools could all collectively pull candidates off their WLs that have CTEd elsewhere. But, you gain nothing from that--and you may lose some of the best candidates on your WL. So you may lose, overall, from enforcing CTE.

We can see which waitlisted candidates are PTE and now CTE elsewhere
We cannot see which accepted students are PTE or CTE elsewhere.

If I'm reading this correctly, med schools could enforce for eachother. Med schools could all collectively pull candidates off their WLs that have CTEd elsewhere. But, you gain nothing from that--and you may lose some of the best candidates on your WL. So you may lose, overall, from enforcing CTE.
The AAMC's position is that they will not participate in the facilitation of collaboration between schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t understand how you can listen to someone whose job it is to decipher the aamc continually check themselves and research what you’re saying, refute it with direct quotes from aamc representatives, and not accept their data. It is fruitless.

That being said thank you gyngyn for volunteering so much of your time to us neurotic, sad, waitlisted hopefuls.

This thread is also a great place to learn about the manifestation of the five stages of grief.
:) Yes, I agree and heartily acknowledge that @gyngyn is by far the best and most valuable contributor here, and nobody appreciates the effort and genuine concern for us more than I do. That said, I am trying to understand the disconnect between @gyngyn's experience and what has been reported elsewhere.

We have narrowed the issue down to accepted candidates, since s/he sees the same thing for WL candidates that everyone else does. I'm willing to bet money that the reason s/he cannot see which accepted candidates are PTE and CTE elsewhere is because none are, and the two candidates with multiple acceptances are not PTE or CTE elsewhere.

It's either that, or, yes, the AMCAS published table is wrong and hasn't been corrected all year, and everyone else who reported being told to give up their multiple acceptances after 4/30 did so in response to a mass e-mail rather than one that was targeted to them because the school was able to identify them.

I'm absolutely not trying to argue (although I understand what it looks like :)); I swear, I'm just trying to understand.

And yet, that seems to be exactly what is happening, since we haven't heard from anyone who was accepted off a WL after CTEing (and, if there are a few, they are definitely exceptions). Maybe the schools are simply choosing to not interfere with commitments candidates have made elsewhere, since they can certainly see them, and are simply moving on to comparable candidates on the WL.

By the way, given the muted WL movement this cycle, this is really just an academic point. I really hope the unfairness of forcing some MS1s to CTE before others is addressed in future years, since there is absolutely no reason the schools cannot agree on a common CTE date (just like the cycle has a common start date), and that the definition of CTE be modified to be conditional with an allowance to accept WL offers after the CTE date. What did anyone actually accomplish by having CTE dates in July? Did anyone actually benefit? Why not push everything into May, so that most people could know where they are before the next cycle starts in June?

@gyngyn, I'm curious to hear your perspective on applicants who have CTE'd at a school but still choose to remain on other schools' WLs in hopes they might get poached. Is this something you are against, understand, or have mixed feelings about? I also understand if this is something you can't answer.

Regardless, thank you for taking the time out of your day to answer our questions and provide more clarity during this mess of a cycle! (Unrelated: But I also think gyngyn has made it extremely clear what medical schools can and cannot see...)

@KnightDoc and @Throwaway21234567

Can you please explain clearly and succinctly what you are trying to achieve by continuing to participate in this thread? Your objectives are not clear, as least to me.

1. Are you seeking support from the group because you are anxious as you don't have an acceptance and are seeking insight as to how you might get off a WL. If so, what WLs are you on?

2. You have an acceptance but prefer another school where you are on a WL. If so, what schools?

3. How else might we help you? What concerns you?

Please be clear. Please be concisr.
I have no objective other than to share what I have learned, lend support to those that are waiting, and to try to understand the new "rules" for when my time comes. I did not apply this cycle, and am not seeking support. I am seeking knowledge, and hopefully a change in the protocols so that I won't have to deal with some of the more glaring inequities of the system when my time comes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean that they might stop sending info about acceptances that your WLed candidates have? To "punish" you? Or?
Regardless, my guess is that schools are unlikely to want to collaborate in this way.

The AAMC's position is that they will not participate in the facilitation of collaboration between schools.

@KnightDoc and @Throwaway21234567

Can you please explain clearly and succinctly what you are trying to achieve by continuing to participate in this thread? Your objectives are not clear, at least to me.

1. Are you seeking support from the group because you are anxious as you don't have an acceptance and are seeking insight as to how you might get off a WL? If so, what WLs are you on?

2. You have an acceptance but prefer another school where you are on a WL. If so, what schools?

3. What do you fear is happening to you?

4. How might we practically help?

Please be clear. Please be concise.

I should be more mindful of staying on-topic, sorry.

I like to discuss once in a while. I get carried away sometimes. Not sure why. I am a very curious person. Learning about the process helps pass the time while waiting for my (hopeful) eventual acceptance.

Last edited:
Thank you. This is quite clear.

You must be aware that you have consumed a great deal of head space on this thread which is principally designed to support those on, and seeking to get off, waitlists. And you may have well been supportive throughout this process. Apologies if I missed that. But I often find your posts generating more heat than light. And not a little distracting to the central purpose of the thread. Just one man's opinion. Please take it in the spirit in which it is given. Peace.
:) No problem, no offense taken (I know you have been a valuable contributor to multiple threads) and congratulations to you on your success!! This isn't the first time I've been accused on being a little on the intense side!!

I have spent way too much time studying the process, given where I am in it, but I honestly just want to understand how it works, and I've only been offering opinions and advice (where I feel I have something to add), so I am not just a net "taker" from the forum. That said, I have never been accused of saying in a sentence that which I could say in a paragraph, so your point is well taken. :)

My prediction regarding less visibility leading to less acceptances leading to less multiple acceptances leading to less WL movement has been spot on, and I am already using it to calibrate my expectations for when my time comes, as well as the expectations of those on the thread, without being cruel or nasty along the way, as some others have been.

Finally, I'm really not so secretly trying to lobby the @gyngyn's of the world to fix this glaring inequity whereby early CTE schools preclude candidates from being accepted off WLs while, somewhat randomly, other candidates are allowed to stay on WLS indefinitely. I fully understand why schools don't ignore CTE status; I really don't understand why the schools don't agree on a common CTE, with an allowance to accept WL acceptances after that date, just like undergrad.

Reactions: 3 users
You did not do anything wrong. I was just trying to understand what you were attempting to achieve in these discussions of the machinations of the new traffic rules. Apologies for having cast any untoward aspersions.

Best of luck with the WL.
No worries fam. I edited my post to keep it more lightheartened--I know you have no ill-intentions.

Very cool .

You might considering opening up your own thread on this topic beginning with a summary of your major insights. A lot of people would find it very beneficial, and many would enjoy participating in the discussion. I would myself, occasionally.
I think I will after this all plays out. I'd hate to say the late CTEs were pointless if there is somehow a ton of WL activity in the next month. :)

This may be a stupid question but with all the CTE and PTE confusion when do you actually enroll? Like the first day of orientation or classes?

This may be a stupid question but with all the CTE and PTE confusion when do you actually enroll? Like the first day of orientation or classes?
??? If it's like college, it's probably sometime before that when you complete paperwork, make a meaningful deposit and/or register for classes. Maybe someone in med school can chime in? In any event, that seems like the least significant part of the process, since even after that, at least in past, you could STILL be poached by a WL school! :)

Does that mean that they might stop sending info about acceptances that your WLed candidates have? To "punish" you? Or?
Regardless, my guess is that schools are unlikely to want to collaborate in this way.
I am not worried about punishment...at least, not from the AAMC!

I literally just went to the mall and came back to another page full of comments lol

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
??? If it's like college, it's probably sometime before that when you complete paperwork, make a meaningful deposit and/or register for classes. Maybe someone in med school can chime in? In any event, that seems like the least significant part of the process, since even after that, at least in past, you could STILL be poached by a WL school! :)
Yeah it’s like college. You pay a small deposit, they process any paperwork, you send your immunization records, you sign some things then they send you a username/password to log into an online system where you register for classes and/or orientation.

The first day of orientation that is the day that counts. Also @Zombiegirl said something about registering for classes- in 1st year and usually 2nd year everyone takes the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It’s the first day of orientation that is the day that counts. Also @Zombiegirl said something about registering for classes- in 1st year and usually 2nd year everyone takes the same thing.

Yep! For my schools they still made us “register”, although the classes were preselected and couldn’t be unselected because its a preset curriculum, like you said.

Yall... I got the official rejection email. I read it like 30 minutes ago.

And then 5 minutes later I got the email to complete the secondary application for this coming cycle. :rofl:

On to the next cycle!

• Sad
QUESTION .I'm still waitlisted on UCONN. I was waitlisted on two other schools as well until the summer time. Once narrowed down to only UConn, and with it being later in the summer, I decided to finally finish my 2020 AMCAS application to reapply this next cycle. Because I was waiting for decisions from the schools I was waitlisted on, I postponed submitting my primary AMCAS until like the endish of June. Now I feel like my app is super far behind and is buried under thousands others waiting to be processed and reviewed by AMCAS before it can be sent to schools again.

????Will medical schools admissions understand this dilemma of re-applicants being a little late because they had to wait for answers from schools from the past cycle? Or will we still be treated the same and now my application is super far behind schedule in the Rolling-Admissions Basis????

Thanks!

QUESTION .I'm still waitlisted on UCONN. I was waitlisted on two other schools as well until the summer time. Once narrowed down to only UConn, and with it being later in the summer, I decided to finally finish my 2020 AMCAS application to reapply this next cycle. Because I was waiting for decisions from the schools I was waitlisted on, I postponed submitting my primary AMCAS until like the endish of June. Now I feel like my app is super far behind and is buried under thousands others waiting to be processed and reviewed by AMCAS before it can be sent to schools again.

????Will medical schools admissions understand this dilemma of re-applicants being a little late because they had to wait for answers from schools from the past cycle? Or will we still be treated the same and now my application is super far behind schedule in the Rolling-Admissions Basis????

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think being a reapplicant warrants differential treatment when it comes to submission timing/queues. As a fellow reapplicant, I understand your pain but I think we'll just be placed in the same "timing" pile as all other applicants. Just try to get your secondaries pre-written and submitted ASAP at this point!

Unfortunately, I don't think being a reapplicant warrants differential treatment when it comes to submission timing/queues. As a fellow reapplicant, I understand your pain but I think we'll just be placed in the same "timing" pile as all other applicants. Just try to get your secondaries pre-written and submitted ASAP at this point!

Thanks!

Guys I don’t think y’all are late. SDN makes it sound you HAVE to have you applications in on day one. However y’all are still pretty early. Anything before August is considered early.

Thanks!

I don't know how much it matters at other schools, but I didn't submit my primary last year until late September, and I still got secondaries to every school anyway. I think it did put me behind, but I was super-duper late and still got interviews etc. Right now I don't think you are very far behind at all. If you can get things submitted before August I think you don't have anything to worry about. I didn't apply to any T20 schools, just mid-tier, so maybe it matters more for them.

Thanks for the reply! When reapplying to the same schools, alot of the time they use the same secondary questions. Should we use very similar answers that we used last year but just revised and tweaked a little? Or try to come up with new answers altogether for the same questions?

Thanks for the reply! When reapplying to the same schools, alot of the time they use the same secondary questions. Should we use very similar answers that we used last year but just revised and tweaked a little? Or try to come up with new answers altogether for the same questions?

If you have new experiences that fit the prompts better since you applied last year, I'd use the new experiences. If not, then I would reword your responses from last year, at the very least.

Has any school (at all) had a fair amount of waitlist movement after their CTE deadline? Or is all super slow..

Accepted students--if anyone has advice on moving across the country on short notice, I welcone a DM!

Accepted students--if anyone has advice on moving across the country on short notice, I welcone a DM!
If you have a small amount of furniture and things that you don't want to sell/rebuy, Uhaul has small 5x8 Uboxes which are cheaper than other companies like PODS. About $1700 plus other fees when shipping from CA to east coast.

@gyngyn Is WL movement over for CA schools? What are the prospects for at least a bit of movement per school right now?

With a couple of special circumstance exceptions, there has been no WL movement at UCI. They told me that there has been very little movement in their class, so they have not begun reviewing the WL. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.