This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should create a new thread called "Beating a Dead Horse" and take the other horse beaters with you.

I just treat Knightdoc’s comments like a horrible CARS passage... skip it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I just treat Knightdoc’s comments like a horrible CARS passage... skip it.
Cool - they are not meant for you if you find them annoying. They are meant for the people who are trying to figure out what is going on with WLs this year, and why. I'll even refrain from making a snide remark about not being able to work through difficult CARS passages. :)

Cool - they are not meant for you if you find them annoying. They are meant for the people who are trying to figure out what is going on with WLs this year, and why. I'll even refrain from making a snide remark not being able to work through difficult CARS passages. :)

You have said the same thing over and over. They are also extremely long comments. You are not an adcom. You are not even on a waitlist. Also, there is nothing wrong with skipping a difficult CARS passage and saving it for later. It’s called strategy.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist movement across the country maybe just has been more of a slow trickle for a few months (that reached normal-to-more movement than past years) for all of this to make sense. What do you think? Have you found this to be true? @gyngyn

Otherwise, it makes zero sense. How can classes across the country all be full if there were fewer acceptances and far less waitlist movement? Especially since it has been said here that just about no one is holding multiple acceptances at this point.

Y’all can you save angry nipping at each other for another thread? This thread is for people with severe existential dread and Stockholm’s syndrome.

Y’all can you save angry nipping at each other for another thread? This thread is for people with severe existential dread and Stockholm’s syndrome.
:):):) You are 1,000% correct. I never personally attack anyone on these threads, both because it is pointless and because I am acutely aware that nerves are frayed. I should not have responded.

Reactions: 1 user
Also thank you for asking, my neuro eval was normal but I’ve had recurring headaches and needed to sleep all day... and lost a day of mcat studying
Unbelievable, but it's good to know that you are okay. When are you taking the test?

:):):) You are 1,000% correct. I never personally attack anyone on these threads, both because it is pointless and because I am acutely aware that nerves are frayed. I should not have responded.

Nobody is personally attacking you. We are just saying simmer down and understand your commentary has turned this thread into something different.

Reactions: 2 users
Nobody is personally attacking you. We are just saying simmer down and understand your commentary has turned this thread into something different.
Okay, point taken!

Waitlist movement across the country maybe just has been more of a slow trickle for a few months (that reached normal-to-more movement than past years) for all of this to make sense. What do you think? Have you found this to be true? @gyngyn

Otherwise, it makes zero sense. How can classes across the country all be full if there were fewer acceptances and far less waitlist movement? Especially since it has been said here that just about no one is holding multiple acceptances at this point.
It really seems different here in California.
Before, there was a great deal of swapping at this time. Now there is almost nothing.

It really seems different here in California.
Before, there was a great deal of swapping at this time. Now there is almost nothing.

and I know you mentioned that mostly everyone at your school is CTE. Do many remain on other waitlists at this point?

Did anyone see any movement after their CTE deadline at their respective WL school? Or mostly nothing.
Was one of at least 2 applicants accepted after the CTE deadline. This is correlation, not causation, but it looks like the CTE deadline helped me get in

Edit: 2 applicants at the same school

Members don't see this ad :)

There were less overall acceptances, not less overall people accepted. Imagine that in previous years there were 50,000 acceptances overall but those acceptances were comprised of 20,000 applicants. This year there may have been 35,000 acceptances comprised of 20,000 applicants (I’m making up numbers but hopefully illustrates the point). So in previous years there was way more waitlist movement because there were way more applicants holding multiple acceptances that they ultimately dropped. This year it seems as though there were fewer people with multiple acceptances (or those with multiple had less of a multiple than they would previously) so there were less spots to give up and therefore less WL movement. That’s how we ended up with a stalemate! Fewer seats to give up if it ended up being closer to a 1:1 ratio of acceptances to seats (as opposed to in previous years it may have been 2:1 or whatever).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There were less overall acceptances, not less overall people accepted. Imagine that in previous years there were 50,000 acceptances overall but those acceptances were comprised of 20,000 applicants. This year there may have been 35,000 acceptances comprised of 20,000 applicants (I’m making up numbers but hopefully illustrates the point). So in previous years there was way more waitlist movement because there were way more applicants holding multiple acceptances that they ultimately dropped. This year it seems as though there were fewer people with multiple acceptances (or those with multiple had less of a multiple than they would previously) so there were less spots to give up and therefore less WL movement. That’s how we ended up with a stalemate! Fewer seats to give up if it ended up being closer to a 1:1 ratio of acceptances to seats (as opposed to in previous years it may have been 2:1 or whatever).
Exactly, except, from the schools' perspective, it's not a stalemate -- it's a full class, mission accomplished!! :)

My conclusion is that these new rules are meant to force applicants in accepting their first or only acceptance. It is meant to reduce swapping or shuffling. Again, with the exception of the few candidates who have multiple accepts, everyone else will have to commit to their first school-since waitlist movement will now be minimal.

There were less overall acceptances, not less overall people accepted.

Without as much info on applicants, I don’t think this is true. It seems as though in past years a student with multiple acceptances was maybe even passed on at other schools because those schools assumed they would not be able to get the applicant. This year, without that info, I think it’s fair to assume those kinds of applicants were probably taken.

Without as much info on applicants, I don’t think this is true. It seems as though in past years a student with multiple acceptances was maybe even passed on at other schools because those schools assumed they would not be able to get the applicant. This year, without that info, I think it’s fair to assume those kinds of applicants were probably taken.
Not true, because the school couldn't see where else you were accepted until after it accepted you, or until after the entire cycle was over (in fact, they will still be able to see where you matriculate when this is all over). They didn't use the MAR to pass on applicants; they used it to make judgments regarding who was likely to attend, which allowed them to issue more acceptances than under the current system, where they are flying blind.

Last edited:
My conclusion is that these new rules are meant to force applicants in accepting their first or only acceptance. It is meant to reduce swapping or shuffling. Again, with the exception of the few candidates who have multiple accepts, everyone else will have to commit to their first school-since waitlist movement will now be minimal.
You are correct in how it is playing out, and I'm sure the schools are okay with it, but this wasn't the intent. If you do a Google search, you will find a lawsuit against Yale that was decided a few months ago, where there was an allegation that the MAR was used to discriminate against an applicant. While the court ruled against the applicant, this scared AAMC and AMCAS enough to decide to eliminate the MAR and recommend that schools use PTE/CTE, so here we are! The change was meant to reduce litigation risk; increasing yield and reducing choice and movement are merely unintended consequences.

Last edited:
All of them are CTE.
A majority are still on waitlists...
As someone who withdrew from 5 waitlists, including my dream school, after my CTE deadline, this is upsetting to hear

Reactions: 11 users
As someone who withdrew from 5 waitlists, including my dream school, after my CTE deadline, this is upsetting to hear

Strongly agree - it is pretty upsetting that the people who are honest and abide by the CTE/PTE deadlines are actually at a disadvantage. Doesn't really make sense, especially given that integrity is a pretty important quality for a physician...???

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Strongly agree - it is pretty upsetting that they people who are honest and abide by the CTE/PTE deadlines are actually at a disadvantage. Doesn't really make sense, especially given that integrity is a pretty important quality for a physician...???
I strongly agree with you, but it remains to be seen if anyone is actually at a disadvantage, since there has not yet been a single report of anyone being called off a WL after CTEing elsewhere. If schools follow the protocol they elected to employ, they will not offer acceptances to candidates CTEd elsewhere.

At great personal risk of being flamed for repeating myself yet again :), this could be easily addressed going forward, by eliminating CTE as a thing, requiring everyone to reduce to one PTE by 5/1, and encouraging schools to push their WL movement into May (in addition to whatever movement is already happening prior to that time), so that everyone has the same opportunity to be called off a WL. Classes could be set, and everyone could know where they stand when the next cycle begins on 6/1.

Last edited:
At great personal risk of being flamed for repeating myself yet again :), this could be easily addressed going forward, by eliminating CTE as a thing, requiring everyone to reduce to one PTE by 5/1, and encouraging schools to push their WL movement into May (in addition to whatever movement is already happening prior to that time), so that everyone has the same opportunity to be called off a WL. Classes could be set, and everyone could know where they stand when the next cycle begins on 6/1.

For being someone that I understand isn’t even involved in this cycle, it’s pretty strange how much time you spend on this thread.

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations!!

I would just withdraw it so you’re inbox doesn’t get full of secondaries or contact from the schools you applied to. That would also be mindful of the schools so they don’t have to review your app if you have no intention of actually applying anymore.
Okay true thank you!!

For being someone that I understand isn’t even involved in this cycle, it’s pretty strange how much time you spend on this thread.
Yup, just sharing what I have painstakingly learned, and hoping to advocate for a few simple tweaks so that I do not have to go through what you guys are when my time comes. Lucky for me that's not prohibited, and not as strange as it might first appear!! I honestly was just trying to help you understand, and don't get the hostility.

Given how much you obviously appreciate my contributions, I'll refrain from responding to your observations and comments going forward. Good luck unlocking the riddle of how schools managed to fill their classes this year with so relatively little WL movement. :)

Last edited:
Well it’s official. Just signed a lease for an apartment near my accepted program. I have to officially withdraw from my top choice how would you all word it?

Well it’s official. Just signed a lease for an apartment near my accepted program. I have to officially withdraw from my top choice how would you all word it?

I would inform them that even though they were your top choice, the program you’ve been accepted to starts soon and that you’ll be attending there. Thanking them for their time and consideration and opportunity to interview.

well application with be verified soon, here goes nothing. And by nothing I mean about another 4k in application fees.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m taking another year. Another year another mcat, another cycle. There’s no use in rushing anymore, it’ll happen when it happens and I’ll be a doctor someday.

Reactions: 14 users
I’m taking another year. Another year another mcat, another cycle. There’s no use in rushing anymore, it’ll happen when it happens and I’ll be a doctor someday.
when are you taking the mcat ?

This month has just left me feeling broken.

2.5 years ago, I remember being extremely stressed over the MCAT. I knew that I had to have an insane score to make up for my low undergraduate GPA and to be accepted into one of my state schools, so much that I dedicated my time solely towards the test after graduating. I remember that day in February 2017, I was in a class in my DIY post-bacc when I got an email saying that my score was available. I was so excited when I learned that I scored in the 97th percentile, and in that moment, I thought I could really do this. I couldn't pay attention at all during that lecture because I spent the whole time thinking about and constructing my school list now that I had my stats.

So I applied in the 2017-2018 cycle. I applied to around 40 schools and was complete August/September. October came, no interview. Then came the holidays. Then 2018. By spring, I still had the hopes of a last minute interview, but it never came. Nevertheless, I remained strong. At my scribe job, I worked my butt off. I became the best at my job, and I was selected as chief after my predecessor matriculated into medical school. I hated my job; my boss was a money grubbing physician with a team of equally unethical providers, but I stuck with it because I knew it would be important for my app. And quite frankly, I think I did the best that I could at my job. In that cycle, I also co-authored and published a paper. I wrote a new personal statement. I revised my activities section. I was hopeful again. I submitted an application for 2018-2019.

I was so happy when that first interview invite came in October and even more elated with the second. Then the third and fourth in December. In my mind, there was no way I could mess this up. I got my first post-II rejection, but I thought hey I still have a couple chances. Same with the post-II waitlist. Now it's July 2019, I'm sitting at two post-II rejections, one waitlist at a school that starts in 8 days, and one pending decision at a school that interviewed me 6 months ago. The last school tells me "I might be on the waitlist". They tell me to check the portal every day, and it has said that same exact thing since I interviewed 6 months ago. Letters of interest and intent have all been submitted. All my cards have been played. The days drag on. I go to work 3-4 days a week for 12 hours each day and hate nearly every minute of being wrapped up in the bureaucratic nonsense and unethical treatment. On my off days, I get gas, grocery shop, and watch Netflix. I plan on submitting my resignation letter within the next week and moving back home; two application cycles have sucked me dry financially, and it's just a poor financial decision to renew my lease and stay at a job that makes me miserable.

But what should I do going forward? Some of the physicians and admin at work tell me to go to the Caribbean. I have to just smile and take it because they get defensive when I calmly explain why it's not an option for me. At the very least, I will have to retake my MCAT score; most schools require it to be within 3 years of matriculation or application, neither of which will be valid for the upcoming cycles. I remember the dread and the pressure to perform during my last bout of studying for it, and now both have just been cranked to the maximum. Scoring lower isn't an option, but how am I supposed to score better than a 520? One bad test day and I'm in the gutter. Some of my friends I graduated with, I was hoping that I'd only be a year behind them. Now, it's looking like they're going to be residents before I even started medical school. People will say something along the lines of blah blah your life moves at it's own pace, don't compare yourself to others. But how can I not when I'm in my mid-20s with no solid career foundation. My family, they've been nothing but supportive. They have high hopes for me. I'm the "smart one" in the family. But I've just let them down.

I'm depressed.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users

2.5 years ago, I remember being extremely stressed over the MCAT. I knew that I had to have an insane score to make up for my low undergraduate GPA and to be accepted into one of my state schools, so much that I dedicated my time solely towards the test after graduating. I remember that day in February 2017, I was in a class in my DIY post-bacc when I got an email saying that my score was available. I was so excited when I learned that I scored in the 97th percentile, and in that moment, I thought I could really do this. I couldn't pay attention at all during that lecture because I spent the whole time thinking about and constructing my school list now that I had my stats.

So I applied in the 2017-2018 cycle. I applied to around 40 schools and was complete August/September. October came, no interview. Then came the holidays. Then 2018. By spring, I still had the hopes of a last minute interview, but it never came. Nevertheless, I remained strong. At my scribe job, I worked my butt off. I became the best at my job, and I was selected as chief after my predecessor matriculated into medical school. I hated my job; my boss was a money grubbing physician with a team of equally unethical providers, but I stuck with it because I knew it would be important for my app. And quite frankly, I think I did the best that I could at my job. In that cycle, I also co-authored and published a paper. I wrote a new personal statement. I revised my activities section. I was hopeful again. I submitted an application for 2018-2019.

I was so happy when that first interview invite came in October and even more elated with the second. Then the third and fourth in December. In my mind, there was no way I could mess this up. I got my first post-II rejection, but I thought hey I still have a couple chances. Same with the post-II waitlist. Now it's July 2019, I'm sitting at two post-II rejections, one waitlist at a school that starts in 8 days, and one pending decision at a school that interviewed me 6 months ago. The last school tells me "I might be on the waitlist". They tell me to check the portal every day, and it has said that same exact thing since I interviewed 6 months ago. Letters of interest and intent have all been submitted. All my cards have been played. The days drag on. I go to work 3-4 days a week for 12 hours each day and hate nearly every minute of being wrapped up in the bureaucratic nonsense and unethical treatment. On my off days, I get gas, grocery shop, and watch Netflix. I plan on submitting my resignation letter within the next week and moving back home; two application cycles have sucked me dry financially, and it's just a poor financial decision to renew my lease and stay at a job that makes me miserable.

But what should I do going forward? Some of the physicians and admin at work tell me to go to the Caribbean. I have to just smile and take it because they get defensive when I calmly explain why it's not an option for me. At the very least, I will have to retake my MCAT score; most schools require it to be within 3 years of matriculation or application, neither of which will be valid for the upcoming cycles. I remember the dread and the pressure to perform during my last bout of studying for it, and now both have just been cranked to the maximum. Scoring lower isn't an option, but how am I supposed to score better than a 520? One bad test day and I'm in the gutter. Some of my friends I graduated with, I was hoping that I'd only be a year behind them. Now, it's looking like they're going to be residents before I even started medical school. People will say something along the lines of blah blah your life moves at it's own pace, don't compare yourself to others. But how can I not when I'm in my mid-20s with no solid career foundation. My family, they've been nothing but supportive. They have high hopes for me. I'm the "smart one" in the family. But I've just let them down.

I'm depressed.
I don't think I've read anything else on this site that resonated with me quite so much. Particularly the BS people spread about how "life moves at its own pace." If it takes me five more years to get in compared to my college friends, that's five years closer to death, five fewer years I get to spend in my dream job, five more years spent bored out of my mind in pointless resumé building, five more years spent without a social group (not to mention it'll be hard and feel kind of weird to make friends with people five years younger than I am). Life at its own pace only works if life is infinite, which it's not--it's a finite resource that I'm forced to squander every additional year I spend trying to get in.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Best of luck.

Reactions: 7 users

I'm depressed.
[/QUOT
Its ironic how these adcoms expect applicants to show empathy to patients, but never show to us in the process. What a joke!

Reactions: 8 users
Its ironic how these adcoms expect applicants to show empathy to patients, but never show to us in the process. What a joke!

I had some two of my emails ignored which is kind of funny because one of my friends who goes to that school said that students are required to respond to emails within 24 hours or they get some kind of professionalism violation that shows on their residency apps and have to write a letter saying why it was bad and what they'll do to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I had 5 interviews->4 waitlists and at this point I've given up so I'm reapplying. At the rate things have been going I doubt we'll see any movement with the CTE deadlines coming up tomorrow. Very unfortunate

I had some two of my emails ignored which is kind of funny because one of my friends who goes to that school said that students are required to respond to emails within 24 hours or they get some kind of professionalism violation that shows on their residency apps and have to write a letter saying why it was bad and what they'll do to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I had 5 interviews->4 waitlists and at this point I've given up so I'm reapplying. At the rate things have been going I doubt we'll see any movement with the CTE deadlines coming up tomorrow. Very unfortunate
one dude i know got expelled from his med school after the dean emailed him warning him about his not following through on the dress code. instead of hitting of forward he hit reply and said "look what this bitch wrote" they showed him no mercy

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I don't think I've read anything else on this site that resonated with me quite so much. Particularly the BS people spread about how "life moves at its own pace." If it takes me five more years to get in compared to my college friends, that's five years closer to death, five fewer years I get to spend in my dream job, five more years spent bored out of my mind in pointless resumé building, five more years spent without a social group (not to mention it'll be hard and feel kind of weird to make friends with people five years younger than I am). Life at its own pace only works if life is infinite, which it's not--it's a finite resource that I'm forced to squander every additional year I spend trying to get in.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Best of luck.
5 years, 10 years or whatever will pass no matter what. It’s all about perspective and that’s what those people are saying. Just because you didn’t accomplish a goal in a timeframe doesn’t mean those 5 years were wasted. They can be seen as that or they can be seen as time taken to work, complete a post-back, help a friend/family, or personally grow. As a pre-Med over 30 I don’t see my 20s as less than because I didn’t become a doctor sooner. I’m not saying that you’re wrong for being upset, but changing your perspective to a positive outlook might help you push along in ways that a negative perspective will not.

Reactions: 16 users

I'm depressed.
i know you are tired... i know you are stressed.... But if you really want this, dont give up yet. I got in on my third cycle.

one dude i know got expelled from his med school after the dean emailed him warning him about his not following through on the dress code. instead of hitting of forward he hit reply and said "look what this bitch wrote" they showed him no mercy
That is insanely messed up but the dude you know is funny as hell

Reactions: 3 users
Was just accepted and class starts in two weeks! Overjoyed and freaking out at the same time:soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 43 users
Kinda desperate to find out if anyone here is on the waitlist at Quinnipiac or gotten an acceptance from there recently?

Was just accepted and class starts in two weeks! Overjoyed and freaking out at the same time:soexcited:
the amount of people on this thread that want to be you right now. congrats!

Reactions: 6 users
@gyngyn You mentioned that everyone accepted at your school is CTE, with two showing multiple acceptances. It seems odd that everyone chose CTE immediately and that there is not a single PTE applicant who may be waitlisted at another school and is holding out until the last possible moment. Perhaps you had an early CTE date? Or is it possible that the AMCAS is providing you the wrong information? It feels like it has been quite some time that they’ve reported everyone as CTE. I hope they haven’t made a mistake?

Last edited:

I'm depressed.

I really don’t know what to say. Life is hard and the world can be cruel or unfair. It wouldn’t be right to say don’t lose hope and try again, you’ll get in eventually. Contrary to what some have said before about trying again and not worrying about age, is that each person is different. How they are affected of years of applying and no results can take a toll. Don’t think it would be fair to say to someone you’re not cut out for it if they stop trying after a couple of cycles.

My advice for you is just take a reprieve and cool down for some time. I know it’s easy to say but hard to do. With cool head, talk with others and then plan out your next move.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.