Jul 15, 2018
Do some schools hold onto their entire waitlist? Or do most reject the bottom of the waitlist when they know, deep enough into the cycle, that there is no shot of those applicants getting accepted?
I think it's school dependent. I got placed in the bottom tier of a school's waitlist and haven't received a formal rejection from them (but I consider it a rejection nonetheless).

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Do some schools hold onto their entire waitlist? Or do most reject the bottom of the waitlist when they know, deep enough into the cycle, that there is no shot of those applicants getting accepted?
I really don't know. I'd like to think that WLers are let go as soon as they know that there is no chance.

Oct 7, 2018
I think it's school dependent. I got placed in the bottom tier of a school's waitlist and haven't received a formal rejection from them (but I consider it a rejection nonetheless).
How do you know you are bottom tier? They told you? Lucky...

I have heard zero things from my WL schools. Am I at the top? Bottom? In the middle? I just got a new apartment and I want to go buy furniture. But if I am moving across country for school (both my WLs are on the other side of the country!), I probably shouldn't.

Oct 7, 2018
I really don't know. I'd like to think that WLers are let go as soon as they know that there is no chance.
That would be the right thing to do, but 1 of my WLs doesn't even reject applicants post-interview. Everyone is WLed or accepted. This creates false hope for many and a WL way bigger than they need.

I wish AAMC pushed schools to do the right thing. (Yes, I am sure other schools are run better--but this 1 school needs major improvements)

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
Lol! I'm not laughing at you but at the situation. My school did not reject anyone post-interview. Either accepted or waitlisted. School starts in 9 days and NOBODY has gotten a rejection.

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Ah, to know where you are on the waitlist.
How do you know you are bottom tier? They told you? Lucky...

I have heard zero things from my WL schools. Am I at the top? Bottom? In the middle? I just got a new apartment and I want to go buy furniture. But if I am moving across country for school (both my WLs are on the other side of the country!), I probably shouldn't.
My school’s list is ranked and disclosed. I’ve been sitting at #1, next person to get off the list, for a month. The only bad thing about knowing is that it gave me false hope and I saw my dream within my grasp, but now it is slipping away as orientation approaches. I am wrecked emotionally as this has been my third cycle applying. To have gotten this close, now falling short because the list has moved less than half of what has been seen each year prior to these rules changes, it is absolutely devastating.

Nov 5, 2018
My school’s list is ranked and disclosed. I’ve been sitting at #1, next person to get off the list, for a month. The only bad thing about knowing is that it gave me false hope and I saw my dream within my grasp, but now it is slipping away as orientation approaches. I am wrecked emotionally as this has been my third cycle applying. To have gotten this close, now falling short because the list has moved less than half of what has been seen each year prior to these rules changes, it is absolutely devastating.
I’m so sorry to hear that. When is the orientation for your school?

Reactions: EmbracetheKace

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m so sorry to hear that. When is the orientation for your school?
Ugh thanks, we are all just in such a sad and unfortunate situation. It starts sometime into August, not sure when exactly. I just don’t think anyone will decline their spot by then because I’m IS and I am guessing that people waiting to get off other WLs are probably feeling the need to get housing lined up now. The later it gets, the less likely someone would make a late move to somewhere they’d be paying OOS tuition.

May 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m in the same boat dude... I was rooting for you so hard when you got to #1.... I’m so sorry that this happened. I know we’ll both make it someday.

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m in the same boat dude... I was rooting for you so hard when you got to #1.... I’m so sorry that this happened. I know we’ll both make it someday.
Omg thank you so much! I can’t even tell you how soothing it is to hear someone else understands this experience. You are the best, I’m rooting for you too, my friend. Just another opportunity to build up that empathy to make us even better docs :)

Reactions: Hemelovr and MacBee
Jun 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Man, that is awful. I was convinced your list would move at least one. I am so sorry

Nov 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Omg thank you so much! I can’t even tell you how soothing it is to hear someone else understands this experience. You are the best, I’m rooting for you too, my friend. Just another opportunity to build up that empathy to make us even better docs :)
I honestly can't say that I know the experience, but one of my classmates at a post bacc I did got into Duke after her fourth application cycle. I will be honest with you, I cannot see myself applying more than two times before giving up, but knowing this classmate and the fact that you've already applied three times, I truly, truly believe that if you continue with the resilience you have already displayed, you WILL get into a school sooner rather than later.

ReturnToMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2016
I honestly can't say that I know the experience, but one of my classmates at a post bacc I did got into Duke after her fourth application cycle. I will be honest with you, I cannot see myself applying more than two times before giving up, but knowing this classmate and the fact that you've already applied three times, I truly, truly believe that if you continue with the resilience you have already displayed, you WILL get into a school sooner rather than later.
Idk what people say in interviews and write in essays after the 2nd try. I am doing my first reapplication and I am struggling to find stuff to write beyond rewording or adding just a few more insights to my secondaries. I feel like after 2 cycles they already have a perception of you and nothing is gonna change that. Writing secondaries makes me feels_bad_man.jpeg

Reactions: drchs
Jun 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Has the CTE deadline passed already?

Oct 16, 2018
Did the July 1 CTEs bring movement? Maybe we have to wait until next week to know because this past week was holiday week

Moocille

Medical Student (accepted)
Jan 26, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Have you kept in touch with your school? It’s not unheard of for someone to withdraw during orientation...they just see the enormity of Med school and go, ‘nope, not for me’. In those cases if the school knew you were sitting on go, they might call you up with a seat!

Make sure your fafsa, immunizations, background check etc are all done, and let admission know, if you haven’t already, that you’re ready to be pulled at a moment’s notice, even up until the first day of class.

Nov 5, 2018
Did the July 1 CTEs bring movement? Maybe we have to wait until next week to know because this past week was holiday week
I’m waiting on tomorrow to hear some news. I had called my school and they said we were gonna take last week to just process the data and what not. Apparently the dean of admissions and director of admissions were discussing everything. Let’s see.

Engrailed

C'est la vie.
Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Im applying this year so I have no idea what this process must be for you guys but I am sending you all positive energy and I hope things all turn out in your best interest

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I am in at a DO school, but I will have to travel about 80 minutes the first year since my husband had to sign a contract for his work. I have to say I am still really fortunate and have so much to be thankful for. I just want to see my dream realized in the way I have envision for a long time. Thanks for the encouragement!

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you kept in touch with your school? It’s not unheard of for someone to withdraw during orientation...they just see the enormity of Med school and go, ‘nope, not for me’. In those cases if the school knew you were sitting on go, they might call you up with a seat!

Make sure your fafsa, immunizations, background check etc are all done, and let admission know, if you haven’t already, that you’re ready to be pulled at a moment’s notice, even up until the first day of class.
I have been in somewhat regular contact with someone from the office of admissions and she knows the situation I'm in (she is so nice and seems to hold a lot of empathy for us poor wretches lol). But I will probably put forth some sort of formal statement if I haven't heard anything past the CTE, just as a last measure to be safe.

Reactions: Moocille

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Idk what people say in interviews and write in essays after the 2nd try. I am doing my first reapplication and I am struggling to find stuff to write beyond rewording or adding just a few more insights to my secondaries. I feel like after 2 cycles they already have a perception of you and nothing is gonna change that. Writing secondaries makes me feels_bad_man.jpeg
It was definitely a challenge, but I basically addressed the things they recommended I improved upon. Plus, I legitimately found a lot more meaning in my experiences which motivated me to become a physician. I mean the first year I only applied to 7 schools, the second year I only applied to this one MD (because I wanted enough time to improve on my ECs and healthcare exposure) and I got waitlisted, and then this year I only applied to this MD and 2 DOs and I ended up in what I thought was a good position on this MD waitlist and with an acceptance to the nearest DO school. So I definitely didn't max out my chances anywhere, and I could have done a whole lot more to improve my situation.

Zombiegirl

5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2013
Status
Medical Student
It was definitely a challenge, but I basically addressed the things they recommended I improved upon. Plus, I legitimately found a lot more meaning in my experiences which motivated me to become a physician. I mean the first year I only applied to 7 schools, the second year I only applied to this one MD (because I wanted enough time to improve on my ECs and healthcare exposure) and I got waitlisted, and then this year I only applied to this MD and 2 DOs and I ended up in what I thought was a good position on this MD waitlist and with an acceptance to the nearest DO school. So I definitely didn't max out my chances anywhere, and I could have done a whole lot more to improve my situation.
Can I ask why so few schools each time? And congrats on your acceptance!!

Reactions: sparemedicaldegree

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Can I ask why so few schools each time? And congrats on your acceptance!!
For sure! So the first time I over estimated how desirable I would be, I had a 514 and 3.9 and just applied to MD schools near home in the Midwest. I had like 3 reaches with Vanderbilt, Yale, and Northwestern just for fun, but the rest were state schools. I only interviewed at my home state school and was rejected due to a lack of clinical exposure and depth of ECs. So that summer I volunteered in the ED, got some more shadowing, graduated and got a job as a Post-Bacc, but only reapplied to the one school because I wasn't sure it would have been enough time to really improve the application. I realized that my best chances would have been at a DO school or my in-state school, so I only applied to the IS MD school on the off chance that it was enough of an improvement, because if I were accepted to the DO and not MD, I would have held out for another chance at the MD after I felt prepared enough the next year. That time I was placed high up on the WL, with the advice from the ADCOM being that I was close, but basically needed to have a more convincing PS. This past cycle I applied quite late after getting married and switching jobs, so I sent primaries to maybe 12 schools, including 2 DO, but I only finished my IS school's secondary and the DO ones because I felt pretty confident that this time around I was well enough prepared.

All in all, I should have applied earlier and to more places for better chances, but it was basically a recurring case of being more optimistic in my chances and likely over-valuing getting to go to my dream school. I have a lot of regrets about not doing more volunteering and shadowing, and also not working harder outside of my job to make myself a better candidate. IDK I just feel a lot of guilt for those nights I watched Netflix after work rather than going out to find shadowing or something. It feels like the universe is serving me my just rewards for not bearing down and grinding to make sure I couldn't be passed up, so I am trying to use it as a learning opportunity.

Reactions: B.O.D.

Zombiegirl

5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2013
Status
Medical Student
For sure! So the first time I over estimated how desirable I would be, I had a 514 and 3.9 and just applied to MD schools near home in the Midwest. I had like 3 reaches with Vanderbilt, Yale, and Northwestern just for fun, but the rest were state schools. I only interviewed at my home state school and was rejected due to a lack of clinical exposure and depth of ECs. So that summer I volunteered in the ED, got some more shadowing, graduated and got a job as a Post-Bacc, but only reapplied to the one school because I wasn't sure it would have been enough time to really improve the application. I realized that my best chances would have been at a DO school or my in-state school, so I only applied to the IS MD school on the off chance that it was enough of an improvement, because if I were accepted to the DO and not MD, I would have held out for another chance at the MD after I felt prepared enough the next year. That time I was placed high up on the WL, with the advice from the ADCOM being that I was close, but basically needed to have a more convincing PS. This past cycle I applied quite late after getting married and switching jobs, so I sent primaries to maybe 12 schools, including 2 DO, but I only finished my IS school's secondary and the DO ones because I felt pretty confident that this time around I was well enough prepared.

All in all, I should have applied earlier and to more places for better chances, but it was basically a recurring case of being more optimistic in my chances and likely over-valuing getting to go to my dream school. I have a lot of regrets about not doing more volunteering and shadowing, and also not working harder outside of my job to make myself a better candidate. IDK I just feel a lot of guilt for those nights I watched Netflix after work rather than going out to find shadowing or something. It feels like the universe is serving me my just rewards for not bearing down and grinding to make sure I couldn't be passed up, so I am trying to use it as a learning opportunity.
Interesting! I think a lot of your reasoning for why you applied to those schools makes sense, especially given the little amount of information we have as pre-meds. It is a LOT of work just applying with a full-time job, never mind everything else. And don’t be too hard on yourself; you did the work and will become a doctor. Good luck!

Reactions: EmbracetheKace

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Interesting! I think a lot of your reasoning for why you applied to those schools makes sense, especially given the little amount of information we have as pre-meds. It is a LOT of work just applying with a full-time job, never mind everything else. And don’t be too hard on yourself; you did the work and will become a doctor. Good luck!
Thank you, friend! Congrats on your As! Go kill it.

Oct 7, 2018

What do you mean by depth? Length of time (e.g. months, years) at the EC? Total hours? Or what you did (quality of the work)?

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
What do you mean by depth? Length of time (e.g. months, years) at the EC? Total hours? Or what you did (quality of the work)?
Both kind of. Basically I was lacking significant, committed dedication in any one area. I was in clubs, had some teaching/tutoring, some shadowing, some volunteering, some research. But no one space that I had prolonged experience with. So I decided to do regular volunteering in an ED and got a full time job as a Post-Bacc. I never got a CNA or anything so I really didn’t have much experience in health care. I still don’t have a ton, just some extra (maybe 40) shadowing hours, what the ED volunteering gave me, and marginally related experience from working as an assistant in an optometrist office. So I’d say it’s true when you hear that showing commitment to one thing is much better than a mediocre covering of all the bases.

Oct 7, 2018
Both kind of. Basically I was lacking significant, committed dedication in any one area. I was in clubs, had some teaching/tutoring, some shadowing, some volunteering, some research. But no one space that I had prolonged experience with. So I decided to do regular volunteering in an ED and got a full time job as a Post-Bacc. I never got a CNA or anything so I really didn’t have much experience in health care. I still don’t have a ton, just some extra (maybe 40) shadowing hours, what the ED volunteering gave me, and marginally related experience from working as an assistant in an optometrist office. So I’d say it’s true when you hear that showing commitment to one thing is much better than a mediocre covering of all the bases.
@gyngyn Is showing commitment for a year+ really important? Or just a little? Example: a year (500 hours total) vs. 6 months (500 hours total). Which is better?

Mar 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Guessing few spots will open up in about two weeks after the final CTE deadlines pass. Probably not too many... but some nonetheless!
@gyngyn -- as the calendar inches ever closer to orientation, do you have any greater visibility, either by personal observation or through comparing notes with your peers across your state or across the country, into whether candidates holding multiple acceptances are a big enough factor to induce signifcant WL movement as CTE deadlines come and go? If not, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is really nothing else at this point that would cause movement at this point in the cycle.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I am not @gyngyn but I will give you my opinion. It is completely unadulterated by fact.

There are very few people holding multiple acceptances. Therefore, there will be very few WLs spots turning into A's because of this.

They will be waitlist movement that will come because some schools accepted fewer students this year than their historic yield numbers. This has been to mitigate the risk of uncertainty (e.g., over accepting) surrounding changes in the traffic rules.

Until schools know that PTE'd people have committed, they can't be sure of their precise class sizes. If they are short of a full class, they will pull from their WLs. Associated with this will be the "musical chair phenomenon", where PTE students get accepted from a preferred schools. All of this will play out over the next month, and is very school specific.

The truth will reveal itself in due time. Be patient. No amount of questions or criticism of the system, as justified as it may be, is going to change anyone's outcome.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019
You’re delusional if you think that there’s gonna be significant WL movement.

Anyone posting here has about a 1% chance of getting off a WL from now until the end of the month.
Do yourself a favor... Stop checking this thread and focus on the next cycle.

If you got into a school but are waiting to get off of a WL at your first choice then I have no sympathy. You shouldn’t have applied to a school you didn’t want to go to.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018
You’re delusional if you think that there’s gonna be significant (or, any) WL movement.

Anyone posting here has about a 1% chance of getting off a WL from now until the end of the month.

If you got into a school but are waiting to get off of a WL at your first choice then I have no sympathy. You shouldn’t have applied to a school you didn’t want to go to.
There has still been trickles if waitlist movement at several schools, and as previously mentioned, there will most likely be some shifting these next couple of weeks with PTEs (may or may not affect WL movement). One of my schools has one of the latest CTE deadlines, and tends to have a little bit of last-minute movement. Based on that and what the school has told me, I’m still holding out hope. Although the WLs haven’t been moving as well this entire cycle, I think it is very school-dependent, as has been the theme throughout this whole process.

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

Tell us how you really feel.

Jul 13, 2018
Status
Medical Student

Wombat, why are you still here, then? If you have no hope or "sympathy" (which no one asked you for) but all the bitterness...maybe you should take your own advice. It's a support thread, after all, for anyone who's holding onto a waitlist. Justifiably or unjustifiably so, in your eyes.

Mar 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I am not @gyngyn but I will give you my opinion. It is completely unadulterated by fact.

There are very few people holding multiple acceptances. Therefore, there will be very few WLs spots turning into A's because of this.

They will be waitlist movement that will come because some schools accepted fewer students this year than their historic yield numbers. This has been to mitigate the risk of uncertainty (e.g., over accepting) surrounding changes in the traffic rules.

Until schools know that PTE'd people have committed, they can't be sure of their precise class sizes. If they are short of a full class, they will pull from their WLs. Associated with this will be the "musical chair phenomenon", where PTE students get accepted from a preferred schools. All of this will play out over the next month, and is very school specific.

The truth will reveal itself in due time. Be patient. No amount of questions or criticism of the system, as justified as it may be, is going to change anyone's outcome.
Most of what is posted here is! :) For the record, I totally agree with you, and was just trying to pick the brain of someone who might have some facts with which to adulterate his/her conjecture!

Reactions: LabileEmotions